WreSpi2 Demo Comments

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[QUOTE=Sartagis]Is it just me or does the Success % always say 0? Something I'm missing?[/QUOTE] Never mind I figured it out, I guess I didn't read that part in the help files right. It makes perfect sense now. Well not perfect sense but I understand how it works.

The success percentage is the chance the move has to end the match if it hits. For some moves, it's used as a submission success percentage. For pinning holds, it's used to calculate the chance the hold ends the match. For an impact move or a strike, it's the chance you have to end the match if you pin the opponent right after hitting the throw/strike. Also, in cage matches, hitting a move with a high success percentage right before exiting is the key to winning. It becomes your chance of exiting the cage, then.

[QUOTE=Phil Parent]The success percentage is the chance the move has to end the match if it hits. For some moves, it's used as a submission success percentage. For pinning holds, it's used to calculate the chance the hold ends the match. For an impact move or a strike, it's the chance you have to end the match if you pin the opponent right after hitting the throw/strike. Also, in cage matches, hitting a move with a high success percentage right before exiting is the key to winning. It becomes your chance of exiting the cage, then.[/QUOTE] Yeah I figured it out after re-reading the help files. I think it was the wording that was throwing me off, kept thinking success should be the success rate for the move to hit not end a match. And why the hell the frequency of a move of the guy you are mattered when you are playing. Guess was in too much of a hurry to play when I first read through, nothing actually stuck in my head.

[QUOTE=Arrows]Considering I've learnt the momentum really means crap in the long run, meh. When I've got full momentum, landing every big move and just completely obliterating the guy for 20-40 moves straight, go to land a finisher. Blocked. Go back, nail a few more moves, finisher blocked. Move blocked. Guy with no momentum hits finisher. I lose. If I can't hit it with full momentum and the opponent vulernable, how exactly are they landing it on me with no momentum?[/QUOTE] Well, I'd say you're totally off base with momentum "meaning crap" thing, especially when you yourself just said you can hit large runs of moves. I'd suggest you read the help file, as your post indicates you're not really understand what it does. Similarly, I think maybe you don't understand the Frequency statistic. It's a percentage value at the bottom of the screen. If it's only 10%, that means you're only going to hit it 1 in 10 times, and even less if the opponent has a good counter to it. Having good momentum merely means you have *more chance* of hitting it, not that it will automatically hit (FYI having them in vunerable has no effect, see the help file). As it's just a percentage, the fact the opponent can hit it with no momentum is mathematically correct - they have less chance of hitting than you, but it's not impossible that they'll be able to hit a 1 in a 100 move out of nowhere. Sometimes the luck just isn't with you.

I think the way it's set up is great and it's very realistic IMO. I love the momentum factor during the match...it shows, of course, I've got the crowd behind me or against me, and I dig the "crowd chants YOUR NAME HERE" thing...that's great :) You've got me sold here Adam, THANKS!

I only played WreSpi1 once or twice, and wasn't a huge fan, but this I quite like. It still seems a little too random, and although there are strategies etc. there's a few times when you can't help but think "hang on, this guy has no energy, I have lots, he's hitting moves, I'm not.", and the AI, although better than the original still seems a little screwy. There's a few things I've seen that seem a little off from the real world too, like in tag matches your partner won't interfere or break up the pin or anything like that, neither do they regain energy when not the legal man, which seems a little off from the real world. I [B]love[/B] the league mode, I think it's a great addition, and if I do decide to buy the game (still not sure yet, gotta play a few more matches first), then I'll defnitely be spending a lot of time with that, as it truly is very original and very fun (even though I'm still pretty awful at the game). I'd have liked to see the inclusion of the other modes with the demo, because I'd like to get a feel of the RTL mode and the Superstar League before I make my choice of whether or not to purchase the game. But I suppose you wanna leave a few special things in for the retail, so that's A-OK with me. It's a vast improvement on 1, and I think you've got yourself a winner here, but I think there are still a few creases that need ironing out, so maybe this time next year I'll be sitting here singing the praises of WreSpi3, who knows! [b]Edit:[/b] Just won my first match. Yay. :D

[QUOTE=Ollie Beak]There's a few things I've seen that seem a little off from the real world too, like in tag matches your partner won't interfere or break up the pin or anything like that, neither do they regain energy when not the legal man, which seems a little off from the real world.[/QUOTE] Wrestlers do regain energy (and momentum, and stamina) while not the legal man, but only to a certain degree (otherwise tag matches could conceivably go on forever). Partners will break up pins, but only if you're a regular tag team. The idea is that I wanted to give regular tandems an advantage in the game, and so the amount of interference they can do depends on the team experience. A long-running team like The Lords Of War can break up four or five situations per match, whereas a newly formed team can maybe do one. It gives you a reason to build up your tag team alliances over time.

Ah, the regular tag team thing sounds good, maybe I was mistaken on that front, but I've yet to see any regaining of energy from an illegal tag partner. Take my last tag match for example, it was the Samoan Destruction Inc. vs a random tag team in GCG. Bali is pretty bummed out after about 9 minutes of fighting, so I tag out and Rhino fights for about 20 minutes, I tag out again and Bali is in the exact same condition.

[QUOTE=Ollie Beak]It still seems a little too random, and although there are strategies etc. there's a few times when you can't help but think "hang on, this guy has no energy, I have lots, he's hitting moves, I'm not."[/QUOTE] The actual Energy has no effect on their attacking ability, it is used when they're on the defensive (to decide what moves the attack can do against them \ how likely they are to be pinned). When they're on the attack the stats that matter are their Stamina (the worse it is, the less chance they have of hitting the move), their Momentum, and of course the Frequency of the move they're doing. A guy with good stamina vs a guy with poor stamina will often mean that the fitter person will be able to make a really strong run at the end of the match, simply because the other guy is out on his feet. It's a good strategy if you're fighting a big guy like Bruce The Giant, you simply slow the match down as much as possible and wait for him to tire. Also, remember that if they're using low level moves, even if you've beaten them up, they're still working at around 80% chance of hitting each move. Once they start getting into the medium level stuff, then they'll falter more.

[QUOTE=Ollie Beak]Ah, the regular tag team thing sounds good, maybe I was mistaken on that front, but I've yet to see any regaining of energy from an illegal tag partner. Take my last tag match for example, it was the Samoan Destruction Inc. vs a random tag team in GCG. Bali is pretty bummed out after about 9 minutes of fighting, so I tag out and Rhino fights for about 20 minutes, I tag out again and Bali is in the exact same condition.[/QUOTE] Hmm...well I'll certainly look into it, I have to admit that through testing it was working perfectly for me. Are you sure his energy didn't go up at all (I mean the percentage value, not the "Low \ Medium \ High" part), even 1%?

Not even one little bit. I can't remember the numbers because it was last night I played the match, but I know for a fact his energy didn't change at all, and it really stood out like a saw thumb. Also, throughout the match neither man regained energy, despite not being the legal man.

Mostly positive... except I find the game a little difficult, a lot more difficult for instance to hit medium and high moves than in Wrespi1 for some reason. I'm trying to strategise and work it through but meh, its just not working for me too well. The other thing that gets me is having to play Blackjack to build up friendships. I know professional wrestling has somewhat of a seedy behind the scenes element, but I'd guess a fair proportion of friendships even there aren't based on how well cards are played! (FTR - not a card player myself..) I like some of the elements, I had Puerto Rican Power go to DAVE, so I custom made him a hardcore move set which was cool, and he got beaten in 3 minutes like the classical old school jobber. I thought that was realistic, and an improvement on the 15 minute minimum Wrespi1 matches.

[QUOTE=tristram]The other thing that gets me is having to play Blackjack to build up friendships. I know professional wrestling has somewhat of a seedy behind the scenes element, but I'd guess a fair proportion of friendships even there aren't based on how well cards are played! (FTR - not a card player myself..)[/QUOTE] I think people are misinterpreting that feature. It's not meant to be realistic (as far as I know you don't get married from playing cards, well, not unless you make some really odd bets...), it's more of a conceptual feature. It's a way to make relationships have some basis in a combination of luck and skill. It's a "thinking outside of the box" approach.

[QUOTE=tristram] except I find the game a little difficult, a lot more difficult for instance to hit medium and high moves than in Wrespi1 for some reason. I'm trying to strategise and work it through but meh, its just not working for me too well. [/QUOTE] A good strategy is the simplest one of all - "maximise your chances". If your opponent is on a momentum burst, don't bother going straight to your big moves, slap on a side headlock or rear chinlock and wear him down. That's the theory behind those moves in "reality" (you cut off their oxygen while regaining your own health) and it works the same way in WreSpi2. When you've got him slowed down, then throw in a few smaller moves to get your own momentum up, then go for your big moves. An easy way to remember it is to base it on real psychology - don't just throw moves out there, build up to them and make them mean something.

well ive been oplaying it again today to give it another chance, and i havwe to say, thanks to Adam's advice on the reversals thing, im really liking this now, the league mode is better than the superstar one, had two matches so far, won m,y first one with a poor D rated match, but then i faced Tommy Cornell, got an A* rated match, and i only just lost, hit him with the Rough Ride (ive got his moveset :D) he kicke dout, then he reversed by second attempt, and then he hit the Rough Ride for the win

Archived