Relationships too hard to obtain ...

I just spent probably $40,000 as Remo Richardson trying to get an initial friendship with my tag team partner Rich Money ... no matter what I did, he always seemed to win at least one hand. Having to win 3 hands for the relationship is ridiculous. Also, the AI can win with a blackjack, but I can't? I had Ace Jack and Ace Queen and neither time did I win by Blackjack, but yet I build up to a 21, and he gets Ace Ten, and wins by Blackjack? Should that not have been a tie?

I did ... and I still won the hand, but shouldn't the double 21 have resulted in a push? And can the rewards be altered so that as long as you beat them (either 3 hands, or 2 to 1) you still get the relationship? Having to win all three seems next to impossible.

[QUOTE]I did ... and I still won the hand, but shouldn't the double 21 have resulted in a push?[/QUOTE] I'm not sure what you mean by "push". If you get 21 without a blackjack, and the opponent did get blackjack, then he get the win. [QUOTE]And can the rewards be altered so that as long as you beat them (either 3 hands, or 2 to 1) you still get the relationship? Having to win all three seems next to impossible.[/QUOTE] You don't have to win all three, you just have to win three overall. You can use the Powerbomb to go back to 0-0 if you're 1-1. It's certainly not impossible, I suggest you read the FAQ on it. I think maybe you're confused by what you have to do to win a hand (as you don't have to beat him as you said, he needs to beat you - i.e. a draw is enough).

I've found relationships are fairly hard to win, but I don't really mind it though, not everyone would be your friend now would they? What I would like to see is personalities affect it more. So if someone's "normal" it would take 3 wins to 0 to be their friend. If they had a negative personality the game would be extended and you'd need to win 4-0, and if they had a postive personality then it should only be 2-0. It should also affec the other end of the spectrum. If you lose all 3 to a negative person it should become a Strong Dislike, to a normal person nothing but no money back, and to a very nice person nothing but half your money back. Or something to that effect so that personalities are a bigger factor on the outcomes of them, maybe if you have the same personality it would increase your chances of "winning" as well?

[QUOTE=Harmor]Having not played the demo just yet, this makes me wonder ... you have to win a CARD GAME to establish a relation? Err ...[/QUOTE] It's conceptual, it's not suggesting real relationships are based upon cards. We wanted a feature that mixed skill and luck, and cards both does that and has a link to the backstage atmosphere in wrestling, cards being a popular pasttime. It's a lot better than the WS1 "pick a line" approach, as again, you had to be an absolute moron to get a bad relationship.

[QUOTE=Harmor]Having not played the demo just yet, this makes me wonder ... you have to win a CARD GAME to establish a relation? Err ...[/QUOTE] It's not a whole lot different then if Adam included a random relationship generator, it just gives you more control. I like it this way a lot better than WreSpi1, where as you could build relationships too easy. You'll just have to improve your blackjack skills, it will be difficult to win 3 in a row, on the other hand it will be difficult to lose 3 in a row as well. So IMO the whole concept makes sense to me. 50-75% of the time you wont build any relationship or lose any money. Everything about the new wrespi is improved as far as I'm concerned.

Never play cards thus I got no idea about blackjack. I'll check the forums a while longer before deciding if I should get the game or not (not depending on the relationship thing only). I just thought having relations depend on what is happening in the game would make more sense, for example if you beat certain workers, match quality (certain workers starting to dislike you for putting on stinkers with them) and how the match itself comes along (use of illegal moves or not etc). I guess I am gonna have to check the demo then.

Blackjack is easy, get as close to 21 without going over as possible and hope the other player doesn't get closer (if he goes over, you win no matter how close to 21 you are ;)). It really isn't that hard, I got Rock Downpour as a "Best Friend" in three games straight. SOTBPW's owner was a lot tougher though, but given that he's an owner, that would be expected. Still managed to make him a friend, but it cost me a bit (but hey, I should be set for life now, right? ;))

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland] It's a lot better than the WS1 "pick a line" approach, as again, you had to be an absolute moron to get a bad relationship.[/QUOTE] Although, reading of jksander's character's interactions with bookers and owners might have been one of the most enjoyable 'oh nuts' relationships on these boards.

Well, I'm not too sure about the win 3 card games in order to get a friendship feature... But I won't complain about it. The only thing I really dislike is the fact you can lose the entire relationship if you lose all three, or two or whatever - It's not realistic at all. In fact if it was anything like real life then there would be a lot of sore losers in this world.

Well, I like the card game thing. It's pretty hard, but not impossible. The first time I played I immedeately won (had 3 blackjacks). Tried several times after that, but always failed to win 3 times. So, it's not impossible. The only thing I'm wondering about is how do relationships affect the game? Is it worth spending money on? Does it have something to do with your morale? Having no friends backstage would decrease my morale if I was a wrestler, It think.

[QUOTE=trypio]Well, I like the card game thing. It's pretty hard, but not impossible. The first time I played I immedeately won (had 3 blackjacks). Tried several times after that, but always failed to win 3 times. So, it's not impossible. The only thing I'm wondering about is how do relationships affect the game? Is it worth spending money on? Does it have something to do with your morale? Having no friends backstage would decrease my morale if I was a wrestler, It think.[/QUOTE] It helps you gain access to promotions. When you search for work you'll see that your allies and enemies are listed for each promotion. They effect whether you'll get hired or not. Relationships aren't vital (intentionally, as I suspected that some people wouldn't "get" the concept of cards and so didn't want to make it mandatory) but they do serve a purpose, especially if you don't start a big star.

I like the card aspect. You have to "invest" time and money into your relationships. The more expensive people are higher maintenance. Sometimes it is luck that makes people friends. I think it is a unique take on the subject. The question I have is what are the benefits of relationships? Better matches? Able to get jobs with companies you might have missed out on?

• 2 weeks later...
Well after about 30 minutes of trying this out I managed to get 3 cards once, and got up to Dating with Nicole Kiss. After that I lost atleast one hand, usually the last one until it degenerated to a Hatred relationship. Yea, this is hard, and not worth the 30,000 I spent on it. So I'm gonna go ahead and reload my game and avoid relationships altogether.

I think it's okay, though it is a bit hard. As someone mentiond before you can't make freinds with everyone, right? A relationship is just as hard to gain as a victory in a match. :p (Sorry)

I dont understand that one, Lifebleeder. You have to lose 3 out of 3 hands to lose a relationship. Statistically speaking, that's harder to do than win all 3 (all considering). I spent the majority of testing bitching up a storm about how I could never win the card games. 'Blah, Blah; it's too hard; it's too abstract; it's a waste of time.' It wasn't until I started using the side options (Powerbomb, Sunset Flip, etc.) that I started winning relationships. At that point, I felt like an idiot for complaining about all of those 1 win, 2 loss card games. All it took was for me to Powerbomb my way right back in, yet I was too stubborn to try it. If you don't like it, that's cool. I'm not telling you that you are wrong for that. But I enjoy the card games now, and I was its harshest critic for a long time. At the very least, it is a fun little mini-game. At its best, though... well, there are quite a few jobs I wouldn't have without the friendships I made.

I use side options ALL of the time should the money I have available permit me to do so. Powerbomb is what caused me to lose all three. Sunset flip is nice since atleast I don't bust. But pulling out a 14 is just as good as losing most of the time. I'm not saying it's a bad mini-game, or that everyone should avoid it. I'm saying that atleast with my luck, it hindered more then helped, and that I will avoid it in the future. Atleast until I have enough money in the piggy bank that losing a few rounds won't rob me of every red cent that I've saved up.

[QUOTE=Lifebleeder]But pulling out a 14 is just as good as losing most of the time.[/QUOTE] if you don't like your 1st two cards you can use second wind provided you have the money, the second wind option re-deals you your first two cards so if you think you've got a losing hand don't use sunset flip use second wind and try and improve it.

Archived