2013: "Maybe I'll go back to Ring of Honor!"

The year is 2013, and CM Punk is frustrated.

After carrying World Wrestling Entertainment’s main title for more than a year, the company repaid Punk by forcing him to drop the title to The Rock so the second matchup between The Rock and John Cena would be for the belt. Punk’s match with The Undertaker stole the show, but once again, the prideful Phil Brooks was left wanting more.

This time, though, he was convinced he wouldn’t ever get that type of moment.

Shortly after WrestleMania, Punk and WWE came to terms on a mutual parting of the ways. Punk and his fiancé, former WWE female superstar AJ Lee, were cut loose. In return, there were several places WWE made sure were off-limits for the duo. That short list included major promotions in other countries, such as AAA and New Japan Pro Wrestling, as well as TNA Wrestling, which has somehow maintained its grip as the #2 company in the US despite wild mismanagement, horrid booking, and sagas that seem straight out of late-day WCW.

While sitting at home one day, Punk’s phone rings.

“Hello?”

“Punk? It’s Gabe.”

Punk does a double-take.

“…Gabe? Gabe Sopolsky? How’d you get my number?”

“You’ve been a pretty hard dude to track down. I’m guessing that’s by design. Blame Paul.”

Punk rolls his eyes at the thought of his former manager letting his number slip.

“What’s up?”

A pause on the other end of the line.

“Well, there’s no easy way to put this. Sinclair’s shopping us around.”

By ‘us,’ of course, Gabe’s referring to Ring of Honor. Punk’s old stomping grounds have fallen on pretty hard times, as WWE has raided the independent scene of the transcendent talent that helped make ROH matches must-see viewing for fans desperately seeking an alternative to mainstream options.

“You okay?”

“I don’t know. It depends entirely on who buys us. If it’s someone who cares about the business, maybe I’ll be okay. If Vince smells blood and just wants the tape library…”

If Gabe is trying to push buttons, he’s succeeded. A hint of red goes into Punk’s face before he catches himself.

“So let me guess. You’re putting together a group to try to buy the place back?”

“Sort of. That group is currently comprised of one person. Well, two if AJ wants in.”

Another pause.

“What makes you think I can afford it?”

“I know how you spend your money…or rather, how you don’t. If any wrestler who cares about the business would want to come in and steer the ship, I know it’d be you.”

Punk takes a deep breath. The opportunity to run Ring of Honor and restore some integrity to the business he loves is a tantalizing one. In addition, while ROH has a TV deal with Sinclair and a contract in place to stream pay-per-views online, WWE didn’t view them as a direct competitor, so it wasn’t part of the “no-go” list in the legally-binding agreement.

“Set up a meeting. I’m not saying I’ll do it. I’ve got some demands and a few things I want to make clear, and if what I’m seeing isn’t to my liking, I won’t pull the trigger.”

“I wouldn’t expect you to. When can you get here?”

“Two days?”

“I’ll meet you at the office.”

CLICK.

Punk hangs up the phone and goes off-screen, presumably to inform AJ of what’s happened.

- - - - -

Yep, I'm back with a new diary, my third one for the 2020 installment of the game and the one that'll hopefully keep momentum going. My first and second ones crashed for different reasons; attempt #1 failed when my Windows emulator proved unreliable, and attempt #2 got off to a flying start but crashed due to a bonkers real-life work situation that has thankfully resolved itself.

This time around, I'll be handling CM Punk (and his main squeeze, AJ Lee) as he takes the reins of Ring of Honor in 2013 in the Yes Movement mod. It's a fascinating time, as WWE has begun raiding the indy scene of a lot of wrestlers (male and female) that are major stars in 2021. However, ROH has some major players on the roster, and the start date of May 2013 is right around when a bunch of workers come onto the scene as blue-chip prospects. Add in that they've got a weekly TV show and a PPV deal that gives them room to grow, and I could have a lot of fun with this.

I'm really excited to get this rolling, and I hope you come along for the ride.

I've been hoping to see a "CM Punk is the Head Booker of ____" for a while now so this really piques my interest. Perfect timing for new leadership in ROH as a considered mid-2013 to be where they began a real renaissance period going into the NJPW partnership and BC coming to the states. And Punk leaving WWE a year sooner (which probably would've been for the best) than IRL doesn't strike me as unrealistic or unnecessary at all.

MAY 2013

It’s high noon at Ring of Honor headquarters. This is fitting, as we’re about due for corporate America’s version of a gunfight at a conference room inside the building.

On one side of a long table sit CM Punk, his fiance April Jeanette (formerly known as AJ Lee), Gabe Sopolsky, and several lawyers. On the other sit Ring of Honor’s higher-ups, including Joe Koff from Sinclair Broadcasting, former ROH owner Cary Silkin, and even more lawyers taking vigorous notes.

After a very awkward silence, Joe looks across the table. He’s been tasked with running Ring of Honor, but that hasn’t been easy. World Wrestling Entertainment has made a habit of raiding his promotion, and TNA Wrestling is no stranger to doing so, either. The roster he’s built serves as a waystation for one-time national stars coming down and up-and-coming wrestlers looking for a big break.

“So you think you can do something with this?,” Koff finally asks. He doesn’t mean to insult the man across from him, and Punk seems to understand that.

“I think there’s an opportunity to not only enhance Ring of Honor’s reputation as a breeding ground for rising stars, but also to provide a legitimate alternative to some of your competitors,” Punk explains. “I’ve been here, and I’ve seen first-hand the ways ROH develops workers. That’s great, and I’m not looking to change that. What I’m ALSO looking for, though, are ways to compete with WWE and TNA.”

“Now how do you figure you’ll do THAT?,” Silkin says. This is the man who saved ROH from disaster when he took over following the situation that must never be spoken about in this building.

“I’ve got some ideas,” Punk says with a smile. He’s never lacked confidence, and if anyone in that room expected a more humble Phil Brooks, they’re sorely mistaken. “After WWE and I parted ways, I spent a lot of time thinking about the type of company I’d build. More and more, I realized the framework for that already existed in a few places, and when Gabe called…”

Punk lets the rest of that thought drift off.

“Anyway,” Punk says, getting back on track, “there are a few things I’m going to need if this deal is to go through.”

“Such as?,” Joe asks.

“Well, Joe, you’re the liaison from Sinclair, so this one should come as no surprise,” Punk responds. “I need the existing TV contract honored. I know you don’t own the company anymore, so you may not necessarily feel an obligation. But you’ll have something you didn’t have before that will be of great interest to the bean-counters you report to.”

“What’s that?”

“Me.”

Another pause.

“Joe, I think it’s a good proposition,” Gabe chimes in. “We’re late-night right now. You’re not sacrificing a prime time slot, and with Punk in the mix, you’ll have more eyeballs and be more attractive to advertisers.”

“Part of the reason we’re looking to sell is that the ratings aren’t there,” Koff responds. “Is one guy really going to make that much of a difference?”

“With all due respect, it’s not just one guy,” April says with a smirk. “Phil and I are committing ourselves to bringing in some top-tier talent, both men and women.”

“You got a list?,” Silkin asks.

Punk slides over a one-page sheet of wrestlers he’s already contacted.

“We’ll need to cut some people I don’t see a use for, and that’s not a short list,” he explains. “However, the men and women we’ve sent feelers out to have been very receptive. We won’t steal talent from companies with exclusive written contracts yet, but by building out and utilizing our existing relationships, I think we’re sitting on a gold mine.”

Koff and Silkin review the list, and there are several times where their eyebrows shoot up their respective foreheads.

“I’ll also need our existing iPPV contract to be honored,” Punk says. “I think there’s a good schedule of big events, and we can pace out our storylines just as you’ve done for years.”

Another pause. Punk senses an opportunity to go in for the kill.

“There are a lot of reasons why I’m the buyer you need right now,” he says. “I’m not a suit. I’m not a bean-counter. I’m a wrestler, and someone who’ll have no problem getting into an ROH ring if it makes sense to do so. I also, heh…have a vested interest in making the folks in Greenwich sweat a little bit. So building a business that could throw a scare into them? That gets me fired up.

“Do we have a deal?”

Koff and Silkin exchange looks with their lawyers before looking back at Punk.

“This takes effect tomorrow,” Koff says. “Your first show in charge is in two days. You've got a pay-per-view in less than a week. You’ll want Gabe there.”

“He’s my head of talent relations,” Punk says with a wry grin as he and April rise from the table. “Come on, Gabe. Let’s show the rest of the world how to book a wrestling show.”

The lawyers begin to hash out the details of a deal that will shake the wrestling world to its core. Meanwhile, Punk and April are off to plan their first show, which will air live on Sinclair.

Interesting start, but Gabe left ROH in 2009.

In 2013 he was running DGUSA and Evolve and had nothing to do with ROH.

...huh. I could've sworn that guy was on the roster in the mod, but you are correct, sir.

Something fun is coming in the first write-up to address this. Don't worry.

And now, a special report from TEW 2020 insider Mave Seltzer...

DEVELOPING STORY: Heat Between Punk, Sapolsky Nearly Derails ROH Deal

One of the strangest sagas in recent wrestling history has unfolded behind the scenes at Ring Of Honor. Strap in, because this one's a doozy.

CM Punk recently signed a major deal to acquire a controlling interest in ROH. The deal was brokered, at least in part, by former ROH head Gabe Sapolsky, who of course goes back with Punk all the way to that one's first run in the company several years ago. Sapolsky helped get Punk to the table after hearing news that Sinclair Broadcasting was considering selling the promotion to Vince McMahon's World Wrestling Entertainment.

This is where things get dicey. Punk, who had been working in WWE prior to his release just after WrestleMania, was led to believe Sapolsky still maintained a position of power within Ring Of Honor, and the two had even come to a verbal agreement for Sapolsky to serve as Punk's second-in-command.

However, none of this is true. Sapolsky, in fact, has not been closely associated with Ring Of Honor for nearly five years. According to a source close to the situation, Sapolsky's machinations were two-fold: He wanted a commission on the sale of Ring Of Honor to Punk, and he wanted to ensure long-term alliances between ROH, Dragon Gate USA, and EVOLVE. Sapolsky actively serves as the boss of the latter two companies, and an association with a Punk-led ROH would do nothing but benefit his current holdings.

We're told Punk was furious after finding out about the deception. While he will not punish wrestlers who choose to work for Sapolsky's outfits, he has effectively slammed the door on a formal alliance. Sapolsky did receive a commission on the transaction for facilitating the deal, but it appears as though that will be the extent of the benefits he'll receive.

We'll have more on this story if further details come bubbling to the surface.

Some quick housekeeping before we start: When I list matches, faces will be listed first whenever possible unless it's a title match. Debuting workers will be written in all-caps on first reference. There's one here and will be a BUNCH in the next one, enough to where I don't feel comfortable doing a pick-em even though it's a PPV. That'll have to wait until the next one, when the roster's in a stable place.

Enough talk; let's get this show on the road!

- - - - -

RING OF HONOR TELEVISION: May 2013, Week 1

Attendance: 500 (sell-out)

PRE-SHOW #1: The American Wolves (Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards) beat Ethan Page and Josh Alexander in 7:36, as Edwards forces Page to submit. MATCH RATING: 45

PRE-SHOW #2: Rhino pins Rocky Romero in 8:07 following a Gore. MATCH RATING: 48

- - - - -

Pyro and rock music greet us as we're welcomed into the first weekly TV program under the reign of CM Punk. Right on cue, "Cult of Personality" plays and Punk walks to the ring as the crowd roars its approval.

Wasting no time (after all, we're dealing with a one-hour show here), Punk grabs the microphone and welcomes us all to a new era in professional wrestling. He says Ring Of Honor will be a place for everyone looking for a fresh alternative where wins and losses matter, work ethic is appreciated, and what the fans say matters.

Punk begins to talk more about the fans, but is interrupted by Matt Hardy, who demands a shot at Jay Briscoe's ROH Championship. Punk says the Briscoes have an engagement in tonight's main event, but makes a deal: He orders Hardy to find a tag team partner by the end of the show. That will be the main event at this weekend's pay-per-view, and if Hardy's team wins that match, he'll get a title shot.

In the meantime, Punk says, Hardy's in his gear and we have no time to waste. He calls out for an eager challenger, ACH responds with a referee in tow, and we have our first match of the evening!

SEGMENT RATING: 56

- - - - -

MATCH #1: ACH vs. Matt Hardy

Hardy's one of the proven stars of ROH, and the goal here is to use him to give ACH a bit of a rub. ACH gets in plenty of offense during a pretty hot opening match, but ultimately, the young upstart takes one risk too many. Hardy takes control in the final minutes and finishes ACH off with a Twist of Fate at 8:30.

WINNER: Matt Hardy, pinfall

MATCH RATING: 54

- - - - -

Backstage, April Jeanette makes her first appearance with ROH, but is confronted by an angry Truth Martini, Scarlett Bordeaux, and Seleziya Sparx. They say the women's division was doing just fine without her, and that all she's doing is taking someone else's spot. Scarlett even adds that she thinks this is the same thing her "boy toy" spoke out against at the top of the show.

April walks up to her and tells her evidence exists in this very room that proves her wrong. Scarlett turns around...and walks into MEIKO SATOMURA. April says they've both got a match next and laughs as she walks out of the room.

SEGMENT RATING: 39

- - - - -

MATCH #2: Meiko Satomura vs. Scarlett Bordeaux

Meiko is one of April's projects, and the story of this match is simple: She spends four minutes killing Scarlett dead with her stiff puroresu offense. Scarlett can't do a ton in the ring at this point, and Meiko is largely unknown by the American audience (save for the dozen or so in attendance chanting, "MEIKO'S GONNA KILL YOU," from bell to bell), but this match serves as a way to put ROH on notice that a new day is dawning in the women's division. She puts Scarlett away at 3:37 with a Death Valley Bomb.

WINNER: Meiko Satomura, pinfall

MATCH RATING: 23

- - - - -

MATCH #3 (ROH TV Championship): Matt Taven © vs. Paul London

Much has been made about Matt Taven. The prior ROH administration saw him as the company's next big star, but fan reaction has been polarizing, to put it kindly. This hasn't gone unnoticed on Punk, and here, the fans get something they've wanted to see that they haven't been treated to in quite a while.

That's right: By all indications, the experimentation with Taven as a blue-chip prospect appears to be over. This is a decent match (although these two have no chemistry at all), and London hits the London Calling at 9:45 to win the title.

WINNER, AND NEW CHAMPION: Paul London, pinfall

MATCH RATING: 44

- - - - -

Backstage, we see the group of Adam Cole, Bobby Fish, Kyle O'Reilly, and Roderick Strong banging on CM Punk's door. Punk answers and sees that the group is far from pleased.

Cole explains that the quartet are being set up to fail. They know they're in the main event, they know only two of their opponents (the Briscoes), and Strong jumps in to say that four of the faces of ROH's future deserve to be treated better.

Punk cackles. He says he remembers when he was at that stage of his career, thinking he was entitled to anything. He gives them a reality check, saying they deserve only the same as what everyone else in that locker room gets. He instructs them to get out of his office, but Cole sticks around for a brief staredown before leaving.

SEGMENT RATING: 59

- - - - -

MATCH #4: The Briscoe Brothers, Kevin Steen, and Adam Page vs. Adam Cole, Bobby Fish, Kyle O'Reilly, and Roderick Strong

According to Mave Seltzer, the original plan was to have a few debuting wrestlers team with the Briscoes here. That didn't materialize due to timing issues (which were bound to happen since Punk took over two days before the show!), but Steen and the young Page more than hold up their ends of the bargain in a terrific main event. All eight men in the ring take turns flying around in an evenly-matched, fast-paced bout, one that ends at 11:58 when Jay Briscoe pins Cole following a J-Driller.

WINNERS: The Briscoe Brothers, Kevin Steen, and Adam Page, pinfall

MATCH RATING: 62

- - - - -

Jay and Mark Briscoe stick around to celebrate, but that proves to be a mistake. Matt Hardy rushes the ring with the unmistakable man-beast, Rhino, alongside him. They quickly establish the upper hand in the ensuing brawl. Rhino sends Mark to the floor and hits a Gore into the guardrail, while Matt hits Jay with a Twist of Fate in the ring and poses with the ROH Championship over his head. It's safe to assume we have our main event for Sunday!

SEGMENT RATING: 50

- - - - -

SHOW RATING: 57

TV RATING: 0.09