rookie to legend

This mode isn't available in the demo, but from what I've gotten in the superstar mode I'm a bit worried...the enjoyment I get from strategy/sim games is taking a rookie or tiny fed or whatever and building it up. One of the best things in Wrespri 1 was winning or almost winning a match in which you were booked as a jobber against some bigshot...you'd gain some respect, some overness and it just was very satisfying. In wrespri2, you lose overness on any loss, no matter what your performance was or who you were booked against. Since you can't improve unless you spend money and you need to win to any decent kind of cash...it would seem nigh impossible to get over the hump, so to speak. Does anyone have any experience with this? I know there is a NDA, but any anecdotes would be inspiring...maybe I've just had some tough luck in the limited game time (2 matches/month) with the guys I've taken.

Actually, you get 20% (?)of the match "purse" if you lose.. .. But what about popularity? Match ratings doesn't have anything to do with it I presume (that was said on some other topic), so it's like the same in TEW; Jobber loses to bigger star, still gaining some popularity 'cause he/she wrestled against very popular person. Am I right or am I right? :)

You're wrong, heh. As a test, create a rookie with 0% popularity across the board. Get him signed and check out his 'Push'. It will stay at 0% until you actually win a bout. And thank goodness for that. The whole point is to win matches, not to look good doing it. :) I disliked the fact your wrestler gained overness from basically doing nothing in the first Wrestling Spirit. It makes no sense in a shoot fighting game, in my opinion. Respect gains, maybe. Popularity Gains? Ugh. Dime... Rookie-to-Legend offers you options as to how good your rookie starts off (everything ranging from 'Realistic' to 'Future Legend'); it's not as if you'll be forced to struggle your way through the game. Realistic level (the lowest) is tough, but just about everything else above it will give you a wrestler capable of weathering the initial starving artist phase. My experiences in testing were that lower rung rookies will have to hope that their morale holds up, as winning will be tough and your guy will eventually start crying about his ever mounting losses. Money will be tough to siphon into skill upgrades for those guys, but as far as morale goes, it should hold up for quite awhile. Those 18 year olds dont mind sleeping in their cars. :)

I lost to someone who was 2 cards up on me and had was certainly more over, and it hurt my popularity. I guess I assumed then that you'd always lose overness when you lose a match. Maybe if you have an A match and lose you break even?

Archived