2022 Sports Illustrated "New Beginnings" Conference Alignment

Hi all,

This is a psetup/pstats collection I put together that is based off of this hypothetical "New Beginnings" conference realignment/balancing from Sports Illustrated

Details

• The base of this was created using
JaCeLo3's 2020 NCAA Mod (so teams like Liberty already included)

• 11 conferences each with 12 teams. Southwest Conference added to replace independents "conference"

• Each conference has 2 divisions and a conference championship game

• James Madison and Sam Houston added (as well as their correct cities)

• SDSU Snapdragon Stadium and UAB Protective Stadium added

• Prestige updated to end of 2021 season

• All conferences get an auto-bid to the tournament of 16 leaving 5 at-large bids

• Tournament seeding is set based on overall ranking, so a conference winner can and will sometimes get seeded lower than an at-large bid.

• All team rivalries edited so that they are aligned with an in-conference opponent for rivalry week*

• For now, no other rivalries (classic or otherwise) were left in. These can be added back in obviously (so games like ND vs BC or Army vs Air Force), but to keep it simple and clean, I just have 1 in-conference rival per team.

• It's a known issue that bowl logos do not work when using the tournament options in this game

*Note: Seems about 90% of these rivalry games work, but some still don't get scheduled for whatever reason. I've read through all of the theories on this, but we can dismiss the "conferences can't be larger than 12 teams" as well as dismiss the "you must clear the schedmatch database" which I have ensure has happened on both accounts. My best guess is that teams that have switched conferences from the hard-coded 2015 update are the teams that mostly seem to have issues getting that new rivalry game scheduled. A good example is the LSU/Clemson rivalry I made. However, rivalries such as Michigan/Ohio State are working properly.

Another theory is that the start year being switch from 2015 to anything else creates some issues as you'll see scheduling errors later on even if you start in 2015 with the default pstats file.

For some reason, setting the rivalry week to 15 in the team database page has the games all being played in Week 14. This might be hard-coded as usually that Week 15 is left for Army vs Navy I believe.

For any team that seems to have trouble getting the rivalry game scheduled, I switched their rivalry week from Week 15 to 0 for easier tracking in the pstats file.

My Recommendations

• 16-game tournament schedule

• Do not include post-season stats

• Turn off conference realignment in league options (after creating the league)

For now, I've only included the psetup.dat and pstats.dat files as well as the helmet and team logo for Sam Houston State and James Madison. I have not created endzones or fields for these two teams. The rest can be found in JaCeLo3's 2020 NCAA Mod.

If you have any requests or suggestions, please let me know. I know this isn't a flawless file, but it's 95% of what I was hoping it to be and I think it turned out really great--it's really cool to see the tournament take shape, for instance.

Thanks for checking it out. Cheers to us seeing an update of this game from Arlie at some point. It's still a great one!

mich.pngpoll.png

conf.png

bracket.pngjmu.pngsh.png

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

It's been about a decade since I last played this game, but I'm trying to get back into it. Just want to say that this mod is awesome. Everything so far is working great!

I do have a few general questions:

*Despite the in-game email saying I can have 11 or 12 schedules games no matter what I do it forces me to have 12 games. Is it possible to have just 11 games? That would give me more byes to heal up...

*Is the quality of the starting players and coaches for each team for the first season based on their starting prestige? How does it determine to give Michigan better starting players than say Kent St.?

*I let my OC and DC call all of the plays, but I can't get them to follow my general formation strategies. For example, my base defense is 3-4, but I want to occasionally use the 3-3-5, but so far through two games it hasn't been used once. Is it because in Game Options I have the Gameplan set to Staff Delegation? Does that mean that they ignore any changes I make to the gameplan and strategy and they just do their own thing? I'd like to come up with my general strategy, but leave the play calling to the OC and DC.

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2022 at 5:09 PM, Cosmo said:

It's been about a decade since I last played this game, but I'm trying to get back into it. Just want to say that this mod is awesome. Everything so far is working great!

I do have a few general questions:

*Despite the in-game email saying I can have 11 or 12 schedules games no matter what I do it forces me to have 12 games. Is it possible to have just 11 games? That would give me more byes to heal up...

*Is the quality of the starting players and coaches for each team for the first season based on their starting prestige? How does it determine to give Michigan better starting players than say Kent St.?

*I let my OC and DC call all of the plays, but I can't get them to follow my general formation strategies. For example, my base defense is 3-4, but I want to occasionally use the 3-3-5, but so far through two games it hasn't been used once. Is it because in Game Options I have the Gameplan set to Staff Delegation? Does that mean that they ignore any changes I make to the gameplan and strategy and they just do their own thing? I'd like to come up with my general strategy, but leave the play calling to the OC and DC.

Sorry for the late reply. I was receiving notifications! Glad you're enjoying it and that it's working well for you.

I don't recall whether there's something in the editor where I can set teams to play 11 games. I figured everyone would want the conferences to all have a balanced schedule.

And yes, the quality of the coaching staffs, players, etc. is set on the school's reputation. There are a handful of school ratings in the editor that impact this. You can and could start new games and we'd have totally different players, but Georgia, Michigan, OSU, etc. would likely all still be Top-5 teams.

I'm not sure about your last question on staff delegation.