NWA Rebirth 1998

[B]July 1st 1998[/B], It was nearly four years since Shane Douglas tossed down the NWA World Title like a piece of garbage and ten years since Turner bought out the flagship promotion and took with it the biggest names in NWA history. It was also the first day of my presidency. Since Douglas's infamous disrespectful action towards the NWA World Title I had politiced myself to the top of the NWA. I had kept an eye on the pro-wrestling scene and at High Incident in 1996 I saw the oppurtunity to plant the seeds of a future NWA contract within Kurt Angle as he walked out of the ECW arena disgusted. I had told him that not all pro wrestling was like the garbage Paul Heyman was producing, to some it still had real meaning, in Canada it was tradition, in Japan it was sport and in Mexico luchadores were all but worshiped. Kurt seemed intriged and when I called him on the same day I took the reigns of power that intriege still held him. I spent most of the day on the telephone attempting to reach some of the biggest names not under WWF or WCW written contract, limiting my phone canvas to solid technical workers. By the end of the day I had interviews scheduled with Angle, Jushin Lyger, Steven Regal, Keiji Mutoh, Masahiro Chono, Antonio Inoki, The Great Sasuke and a handful of others. The next piece of business was to trim the roster, and I handed out nine pink slips that day, it would've been an even ten if Bart Gunn was not co-holder of the NWA Tag Team Titles. The final piece of business was to cancel NWA Southwest and schedule NWA Legends a weekly event to take place in Charlotte every Friday. [B]July 2nd 1998[/B], I ended the contracts of Ace Darling, Gary Steele, Rick Michaels, Doug Gilbert, Flash Flanagan, The Colorado Kid, Tom Brandi, Wolfie D and Jamie Dundee. Also I discovered that WCW had released both Ric Flair and Raven and although I felt that neither man was the future of the NWA they were both solid workers with good charisma and strong followings. I scheduled an interview with both men. [B]July 4th 1998[/B], Signed to the active roster: The Great Sasuke, Yuji Nagata, Yoshihiro Tajiri, Super Dragon, Masahiro Chono, Keiji Mutoh, Hiroyoshi Tenzen. Other Staff: Ricky Steamboat, Alicia Webb, Tammy Sytch, Jerry Jerrett, Don Callis [B]July 5th 1998,[/B] Signed to the active roster: Scoot Andrews, El Hijo Del Santo, Danny Doring, Shane Helms, Steven Regal, Steve Corino, Lance Diamond, Kurt Angle, Jushin Thunder Lyger, Doug Williams, Christopher Daniels. Other Staff: Jim Cornette, Jesse Ventura, Antonio Inoki [B]Standard NWA match:[/B] Best of 3 falls, each fall having a time limit of 5 minutes, if a wrestler does not win a fall by pinfall or submission within the time limit then the winner will be rendered by judges decision. The NWA judges are Antonio Inoki, Ricky Steamboat and Jim Cornette. Wrestlers will also earn points which will determine #1 contendership. Winning a fall by pinfall or submission will earn 2 points, disqualification and judges decision earns 1 point, the winner of the whole bout earns 2 points and loser recieves 1 point (seniority point). [SIZE="2"][B]NWA Legends Preview:[/B][/SIZE] 1st half of the Qualifying Round of the tournament to determine the #1 Contender to the NWA World Title. Steven Regal v Stevie Richards Doug Williams v Keiji Mutoh Hiroyoshi Tenzen v Kurt Angle Jushin Lyger v Yuji Nagata

Results [SIZE="3"][B]NWA Legends Results - July Week 1, 1998[/B][/SIZE] Antonio Inoki welcomes us to NWA Legends. He hypes the new NWA way and tells us the new rules for NWA matches. Interview segments for both Regal and Richards which is capped off with a video highlighting both mens carears. [B]Stevie Richards v Steven Regal[/B] [B]Fall 1[/B]: They lock up and Regal takes Richards to the mat with a simple headlock takedown. Regal locks in a chinlock but Richards manages to escape, they get back up and lock up. Regal puts Richards in in a wristlock and follows it up with a kick to the back of Richards's leg knocking him back down to the mat. Regal spends the next minute working Richards's leg over. Regal begins to get over confident and when he tries to drop his knee on Richards's thigh Richards moves out of the way. They begin to brawl with Richards taking the apparent advantage, but an accidental thumb to the eye by Regal gives him advantage and after a belly to belly suplex he locks in the Regal Stretch. Richards taps out with a little under a minute remaining in the fall. 2 points for Regal [B]Fall 2[/B]: Regal tries to follow up the submission win with an early Regal Stretch attempt, but Richards gets to the ropes. Perhaps feeling desprate Richards gets a surge of energy and begins to take the fight to Regal. After a couple of stiff rights that knock the Englisman down he hits an atomic drop. Richards climbs the ropes and hits a diving elbow drop that only gets a 2 count. Regal counters a Stevie Kick with a sidewalk slam that gets him a 2 count. Regal picks Stevie up and suddenly receives a Stevie T. Both men are down as the fall ends. The judges announce Stevie Richards the winner and Regal is upset. Richards gets a point [B]Fall 3[/B]: Regal's angerly takes the loss of the last fall to Richards, schooling the young man for the rest of the fall. The fall comes to an end when Regal slaps on the Regal Stretch in the middle of the ring within 3 minutes of the fall. 2 points for Regal [B]Winner 2 falls to 1[/B]: Steven Regal Points - Steven Regal: 6 Stevie Richards: 2 [B]Rating[/B]: B+ After the match Don Callis interviews Regal on his win. Regal promises to be the first British NWA World Champion. A video package of Doug Williams and Keiji Mutoh plays including an interview with Mutoh. [B]Doug Williams v Keiji Mutoh[/B] [B]Fall 1[/B]: A real back and forth match with lots of legit looking takedowns and submisssion attempts, but neither man really gets the upper hand within the five minute time limit. The decision goes to the judges who vote 2-1 for Mutoh. [B]Fall 2[/B]: This fall is alot like the first, but there seems to be a greater sense of urgency on both men's part, but Doug seems to be doing all he can to try and take Mutoh down. At 3:21 he manages to hit the Chaos Theory and gets a pinfall. [B]Fall 3[/B]: Williams efforts in the last fall seem to be working against him as he seems a little tired. Mutoh uses this to his advantage and at the 3:42 point nails a Shining Wizards for the pinfall. [B]Winner 2 falls to 1[/B]: Keiji Mutoh Points: - Keiji Mutoh: 5 Doug Williams: 3 [B]Rating[/B]: B After the match Callis interviews Keiji Mutoh, who says that a second NWA World Heavyweight title run is in his future. A video plays hyping the match between Lyger and Nagata. [B] Jushin Thunder Lyger v Yuji Nagata[/B] [B]Fall 1[/B]: Nagata takes it hard to Lyger, who seems a little outsized and maybe outmatched. Lyger manages some good escapes and his speed keeps Yuji from getting a pin fall but the match is called in Nagata's favor by the judges. [B]Fall 2[/B]: Jushin takes some early chances in this fall and they work out for him. He keeps Nagata realing and pulls off a pinfall in only 2:45 with a beautiful moonsault. [B]Fall 3[/B]: Nagata regains his composure and this becomes a back and forth fall, At 4:30 Lyger goes for a top rope move, and Nagata attempts a belly to belly, but its reversed by Lyger into a Lyger Bomb for the pinfall win at 4:45! [B] Winner 2 falls to 1[/B]: Jushin Lyger Points - Jushin Lyger: 6 Yuji Nagata: 2 [B]Rating[/B]: B+ Antonio Inoki and Callis interview Lyger, Inoki acting as translator after the match. Lyger says he's just honored to be a apart of the new NWA and plans on winning the NWA World Title. A video hypes Angle v Tenzen which includes an interview segment with the Olympic gold medalist. [B]Kurt Angle v Hiroyoshi Tenzen[/B] [B]Fall 1[/B]: Tenzen does not seem prepared for Angle who makes quick work of the the Japanese tough guy in 3:42 with a modified Somoan Drop. [B] Fall 2[/B]: Tenzen comes back hard on Angle in this fall and seems to have it won, but Angle slaps on an anklelock that forces Tenzen to tap out at 4:53, nearly making it to the bell. [B] Winner 2 falls to 0[/B]: Kurt Angle Points - Kurt Angle: 6 Hiroyoshi Tenzen: 1 [B]Rating[/B]: B After the match Callis interviews Angle who says he's happy to represent America in this tournament and plans to add more gold to his resume. Afterwards a video hypes next week's Legends which will feature Ric Flair, Raven, Steve Williams and The Great Sasuke [B]Show Rating[/B]:B [B]Attendance[/B]: 2000 [B]Notes:[/B] Regal and Richards had good chemistry, Lyger v Nagata was the match of the night. Inoki's segments were the highest rated.

Archived