The Death of WCW?

... [QUOTE][B][U][SIZE="4"]A meeting with the Godfather[/SIZE][/U][/B] By [EMAIL="goodsingerandanicerack@wrestlingisgoodmmkay.com"]Sarah Nade[/EMAIL] Courtesy of [url]www.wrestlingisgoodmmkay.com[/url] The wrestling world is regarded as being in somewhat of a downturn. In figures recently released to the internet, measures of the World Wrestling Federation's popularity have suffered a dramatic downturn over the last month due to a consistent roll of poor shows. However, in the face of adversity, one organisation has surprisingly stood up, World Championship Wrestling. At the start of 2001, World Championship Wrestling faced intense pressure to gag back one last breath. The life support machine was about to be turned off. The pall-bearers were gathering. The vultures were circling. After being virtually impenetrable c.1998 with the most complete roster ever assembled, and the financial and television backing of super-mogul Ted Turner, WCW seemed destined for eternal life. However, a succession of poor booking moves, failure to promote good talent to the top, politics and poor shows eventually led the impossible to being the probable - the death of WCW. As it stands now, World Championship Wrestling has made a ever so slight recovery in popularity. Does not sound all that impressive, but when you consider that the World Wrestling Federation super-heads are scratching their scalps that hard that its as if they have caught ever lasting lice, it's a fair effort. The man who is largely considered behind that U-Turn is John Simpson. Who? That is a common question asked - he is not Eric Bischoff, Ed Ferrara or Vince Russo needing attention on the wrestling shows he promotes. He does not promote his name heavily in magazines or in newspapers. He's a quiet achiever, and perhaps this is exactly what World Championship Wrestling needed. I got a chance to meet up with John shortly before the March 1st airing of Nitro for a Q&A session. WIGMMKAY: John, firstly thank you for this interview. We're only two hours away from Nitro going to air. I've read the likes of Bobby Heenan and Gene Okerland and others talk about how previous promoters would not have a show assembled, even as close as ten minutes before the show hitting the air. Do you follow this book on the fly mentality? [center][IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/b/bobbyheenan/03.jpg[/IMG] Bobby Heenan - not impressed with unorganised bookers[/center] JS: Sarah, thank you for the opportunity to talk to you today. No, I don't believe in that approach, it can only lead to long term failure in any business organisation. A plan has to be flexible, of this there is no doubt. However, you must have a long term plan, where you want the show to go, where you want your stars to be positioned and all that. Largely it's responding to the fans wishes, but certainly I don't think I'd turn up to a show with no idea of how I'm going to promote my stories. WIGMMKAY: What was your first impressions when you took on the job as at January first this year, when all public notion suggested that WCW would not survive to the point it finds itself in today. JS: Well, it was certainly a challenge. I've divided those initial impressions into positives, and negatives. Firstly, the negatives. Looking around the locker room, it was increasingly difficult to identify household names. There were maybe 3 or 4. When WCW was in its heyday, in any given household with any feint interest in professional wrestling, and even some who had no interest, there would be 15-20 names that belonged on the books of WCW who people could list off the top of their heads. Secondly, some of the production values seemed fairly ordinary. Thirdly, some of the storylines currently in action I didn't think appealed to our target market. Fourthly, I saw some guys who were regarded as midcarders and nothing more by their peers but in my eyes, and in the eyes of the target market, as governed by comments in popular press and on the internet, they were far better. So they were largely the negatives, I mean obviously the oppression of the business where with the merger of AOL and Time Warner it was largely apparent from an outsider's perspective that WCW had no future was another one. But the positives, some very fine in-ring talent. Very raw, yes, and there is still a lot of rawness. But if it was organised effectively, a group of guys that could promote a good show. WIGMMKAY: You say there were three or four name players then; who did you regard them as? JS: Flair, Sting, Booker T, Big Poppa Pump. [CENTER][IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/s/scottsteiner/28.jpg[/IMG] Big Poppa Pump - one of WCW's household names[/CENTER] WIGMMKAY: Not Kevin Nash? JS: Not really. Look, Kev's name has been sent through the mudheap on various internet columns, and while in the mid 90s that was a very small part of the wrestling market, its hard to not find a wrestling fan who isn't reading up on the net on their wrestling news. With that in mind, Kev's popularity I felt had been smeared by comments, true, false or otherwise. [CENTER][IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/k/kevinnash/18.jpg[/IMG] Kevin Nash - not an internet favourite?[/CENTER] WIGMMKAY: The heyday of WCW is largely thought to be around 1998, with Bret Hart, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, Raven, Hulk Hogan, Sting, Ric Flair, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Goldberg, Curt Hennig, Rey Mysterio Jr, Juventud Guerrera, The Giant, Harlem Heat, Public Enemy, Davey Boy Smith, Jim Neidhart, Disco Inferno, the Japanese invasion with Tenzan, Masahiro Chono, The Great Muta, Randy Savage, Lex Luger, Ultimo Dragon, Diamond Dallas Page, Rick Martel, Dean Malenko, Kidman, Saturn, Konnan, the Steiners etc. Great roster. What do you think led to WCW losing so much of this great roster? JS: A combination of things really. It is difficult to really give an outsider's perspective, bearing in mind, much like yourself I was just a ticket paying fan at the time. I guess non-pushes of really great young talent like Guerrero, Benoit, Jericho, Malenko, Giant, Saturn, Raven basically led to their departure. Poor use of the Japanese nWo faction the reason behind their departure. And a hell of a lot of politics in between. You also have to remember that some of those guys you mention, Hogan, Savage, Hennig, Davey Boy Smith, Jim Neidhart etc. were probably on their last great run. While it was never really mentioned publically, it's well known by those in the know that some of those guys were beaten up from their time up north in New York. So I guess a combination of those things, no real fresh stars being promoted, no real fresh storylines, relying too much on the New World Order, too many BS finishes, all led to not only the destruction of the roster but the so called undisputed death of WCW. [CENTER][IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/r/raven/29.jpg[/IMG] Raven - poorly pushed?[/CENTER] WIGMMKAY: Of course, you have a different view on WCW's future. JS: Definitely. Look, the industry is in a down turn currently. But we've held our own lately. And that's in a period where we've had to invest some serious television time into promoting young unknown guys that we feel are our future - AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, Dave Bautista, Samoa Joe, Randy Orton, Shane Helms and the likes are not currently putting a load of backsides on seats. But they're getting a fair bit of time and success because they are the sorts of guys who can establish WCW at the top permanently. You also have to remember we had Thunder on TBS, which we now don't, and in my eyes, that was a fairly average slot to hold. The reason being is TBS, while it has historic value in terms of wrestling lineage, is not the highest rated network in the country. So we had to cope through that until the contract ended, which it now has, and now we've secured Fire on Friday on CBS and Glycerine on Saturday on NBC. We really hope they'll give us a lot more exposure and get our younger stars over quicker. The other side of it is the clear tension between AOL Time Warner and WCW. We used to have permanent support from Ted Turner, but unfortunately Ted doesn't have the final say on the AOL Time Warner board now. Their board is extremely financially savvy and focussed on a key market demographic, which they don't see WCW falling into. They've allowed us to keep Nitro, but dropping Thunder eases the tension in that relationship and also means we aren't solely reliant on AOL Time Warner. If we had have stayed solely reliant on them to broadcast our shows, regardless of how well we book this thing, we surely would have died a slow painful death. Look, the other thing we have to be very disciplined backstage, I won't tolerate prima donnas or members of the crew who make poor decisions. The likes of Kimberly Page and Major Gunns, both of whom I held high regard for now realise this I hope. They were unfortunate examples, as was Lex Luger, but that's the professionalism I seek. [CENTER][IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/t/tylenebuck/35.jpg[/IMG] Major Gunns - ill disciplined?[/CENTER] WIGMMKAY: How do you regard the World Wrestling Federation? JS: I've always been an NWA and WCW mark. I always liked the WWF in the late 80s with Hulkamania, and all the wonderful characterisations they had with Sgt Slaughter, Jimmy Snuka, Mr Perfect, The Hart Foundation, Demolition, Andre the Giant, Jake the Snake Roberts, Brutus the Barber Beefcake, Tito Santana, Big Boss Man, Junkyard Dog, Adorable Adrian Adonis, Roddy Piper, Greg the Hammer Valentine, Honky Tonk Man, Ricky Steamboat, Randy Savage and Elizabeth and the like. Great times. But, man, who still doesn't get a chill down their spine watching the great NWA and WCW moments. In terms of their current product, they're I guess catering to an altogether different market share, a more risque market. That's their prerogative, NWA and WCW has always been about great wrestling and convincing storylines and not necessarily who has the biggest rack, so that's what we'll continue to focus on. Oddly enough, I think some of the destruction of WCW came about from losing that focus. Constant disqualifications etc. only lead to disgruntled fans. [CENTER][IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/a/adrianadonis/05.jpg[/IMG] The late Adrian Adonis - John Simpson was a fan[/CENTER] WIGMMKAY: Of course, currently both Vince Russo and Eric Bischoff are on your roster. Is it hard to keep their egos in tow? JS: Not really. I don't think either are too eager to head up north at the moment, so they both know they have to play their roles well to try and keep WCW going strongly. [CENTER][IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/e/ericbischoff/04.jpg[/IMG] Eric Bischoff - scared of going up north?[/CENTER] WIGMMKAY: Do you look to them for ideas? JS: Only occasionally. Mostly I look to what the fans are asking for in order to promote the show. It's a great big circle really. We provide the product they request. WIGMMKAY: How hard has the retirement of Ric Flair hit you? JS: Very hard. Ric was arguably the most valuable member of our roster. He basically stands for the traditions and the lineage of WCW feeding back through to the NWA. He's basically, in a nutshell, irreplaceable. [CENTER][IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/r/ricflair/05.jpg[/IMG] Ric Flair - irreplaceable?[/CENTER] WIGMMKAY: There were some suggestions that his retirement was another work. Is that the case? JS: Definitely not the case. Ric's been doing this since I believe 1972, night in, night out. And mostly in his day the main man had to fight 7 days a week in different towns and go a full hour in all different manner of match types. So you add all that up and it's amazing he's gone as long as he has. WIGMMKAY: But Ric will be staying around? JS: I don't want to give too much away at the moment. It'll become clear at SuperBrawl. WIGMMKAY: WCW has at times been regarded as a poacher of WWF talent. Will you continue this? JS: I think that's a bit one sided. I mean, Guerrero, Saturn, Jericho, Benoit, Malenko, Giant and friends all were WCW once, were they not? [CENTER][IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/c/chrisbenoit/37.jpg[/IMG] Chris Benoit - from WCW to WWF[/CENTER] WIGMMKAY: Indeed. JS: Exactly, it's a bit of propaganda to suggest talent only comes out of the WWF. Look, we'll always keep an eye out for the best talent as it becomes available. WIGMMKAY: Have you made any approaches? JS: Yes. We approached three of their stars coming off contract. At this stage they regard the WWF as being more secure so declined to enter into negotiations. That's their prerogative but we'll keep scouting out the market and make sure the best available talent ends up on Nitro, Fire and Glycerine. WIGMMKAY: If there were five talents you could take from ECW or WWF right now, who would they be? JS: Never really thought about it, as odd as it sounds. Probably the Rock, Steve Austin, Triple H, Eddie Guerrero and Chris Jericho. No one in their right mind will sit here and tell you that there's no World Wrestling Federation contracted wrestlers who are worth looking at. [CENTER][IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/r/rock/53.jpg[/IMG] The Rock - a man Simpson would love to have at WCW[/CENTER] WIGMMKAY: What about in terms of your own roster; if you could lock up five wrestlers for the rest of their careers, who would they be? JS: Tough question. I can give you an answer now but probably want to change it in five minutes... Sting, Rey Mysterio Jr, Chris Kanyon, Samoa Joe, Dave Bautista. But honestly, there may be 10-15 I'd love to lock away for life. [CENTER][IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/s/sting/55.jpg[/IMG] Sting - a man WCW would love to lock up to a lifetime contract[/CENTER] WIGMMKAY: Bautista and Joe, interesting. JS: We're all about developing for the future Sarah. I guess it's important we focus on developing talent. WIGMMKAY: Any surprises tonight on Nitro? JS: That'd be telling. Have to tune in and see! WIGMMKAY: Thank you for your time, and good luck trying to resurrect WCW. JS: Thank you Sarah, and thank you to the fans who've tuned in and given this a go. It may get rough, and a bit turbulent, I just ask for people to be loyal to the product, and voice any concerns they may have. It might sound like a trotted out cliche`, but this really is the people's promotion now, our product is not geared not at satisfying egos but satisfying our audience. [/QUOTE]

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like the interview. It gave a lot on insit into what is happening in WCW right now. This really makes you think what would have happened if WCW had turned things around and was able to keep going. Would the WWF/E turned into the trash it is today, would TNA exist? So many questions with no real answers. Love your stuff though brother

You got rid of Kim? I am outraged!...-ish! Well, not really, but I'm slowly seeing you axeing the women from the roster. All fine and dandy, but I wonder how long before you get rid of Stacy... or even Pam! Ah, such is the life of WCW owner. I read through the diary during the week. Maybe you should tell us more on how the WWF is doing as you're building WCW back up. At the least tell us the wonderful 'main events' they're having each week! Will you be using new PPV names after Sin and Greed in 2001? I know you probably want to keep Superbrawl (as seen right now) and Starcade, but feel like doing any more changes there? Anyways, can't wait to see how the TV tournament goes. Hope you make this tournament better than the World/Tag Team Tournaments WCW did in the years before you. Goodbye Thunder, may you be (kinda) missed. ;)

[QUOTE=Alex Gariepy;137501]You got rid of Kim? I am outraged!...-ish! Well, not really, but I'm slowly seeing you axeing the women from the roster. All fine and dandy, but I wonder how long before you get rid of Stacy... or even Pam! Ah, such is the life of WCW owner. I read through the diary during the week. Maybe you should tell us more on how the WWF is doing as you're building WCW back up. At the least tell us the wonderful 'main events' they're having each week! Will you be using new PPV names after Sin and Greed in 2001? I know you probably want to keep Superbrawl (as seen right now) and Starcade, but feel like doing any more changes there? Anyways, can't wait to see how the TV tournament goes. Hope you make this tournament better than the World/Tag Team Tournaments WCW did in the years before you. Goodbye Thunder, may you be (kinda) missed. ;)[/QUOTE] Thanks for your post mate. I'm still ultimately undecided about the PPV names... I'd LOVE to rename them, and do a lot of things, but, I don't have the graphical ability to make the PPV logos and I'd like to have some colour per post if you know what I mean. Yep, I can certainly post some more stuff about what the WWF is doing. Interestingly, what I'm noticing is WCW's popularity is staying the same (which is good given there's very few guys who are actually over, and fewer who are over and have the ability to be a cornerstone of the promotion), and the WWF's popularity is nose diving. I think I looked recently they started in the mid 90's everywhere, and are now mid 80s... which is still well ahead of WCW, but that's a spectacular fall from grace in my book and kind of a direct reversal of what really happened. As far as the women, no, no real wish for me to get rid of them. I thought both Kimberely and Major Gunns were fairly good looking when I was younger, so I have time for both them. I also have a load of time for Pammy Paulshock. She could have gone to the WWF and been made into quite the star.. perhaps if they trained her to have a mean streak like Sherri Martel, combined with her looks?? Hot damn. But on that, my next post is going to detail who the managers are in WCW currently because I feel I've really neglected that. Keep on reading on and please do keep on posting. It is the feedback that makes this dynasty work and keeps me motivated to post results etc. [QUOTE=The Stallion;137379]I like the interview. It gave a lot on insit into what is happening in WCW right now. This really makes you think what would have happened if WCW had turned things around and was able to keep going. Would the WWF/E turned into the trash it is today, would TNA exist? So many questions with no real answers. Love your stuff though brother[/QUOTE] Thanks Stallion. In answer to your question, no, I don't think, in my opinion the WWE would turn out the rubbish it does today if WCW was still going. I think if TNA existed it'd fill a different void... perhaps targetting more of a hardcore style to steal ECW's market share when it went bust. In all honesty, the stuff that WWF put out in say late 99 through to when they bought WCW was solid gold stuff mostly, a lot of good stories involving good workers like Benoit, Angle etc.. I mean who'll forget Benoit and Angle's fued, I still regard that as an awesome fued. You also had TLC etc happening then. That in my opinion is seriously unrivalled for competitive tag team action. I said the other day in another forum that IMO the WWE creative team would have in the last 3 years come up with decent storylines, but are "shelving" them for a rainy day - that day when TNA gets a competitive time slot rivalling them, and then ka'baam, they'll use those stories as knock out blows to re-establish their dominant monopoly and cruise for another 5-6 years until another contendor arises. I think it's strategic "mis-management", which probably makes no sense :)

Guest Stevie F'n Swing
You sir...are a god. I do have one thing to ask though...stop jobbing out Crowbar! And...rehire Daffney. Please?

...By Popular Demand... As previously mentioned, this is the one area of WCW I haven't put a load of focus on, but FYI this is it as it stands... [QUOTE][SIZE="4"][B][U]The State of WCW Managers and Backstage Staff[/U][/B][/SIZE] [B][U]Miss Hanc0ck[/U][/B] [IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/s/stacykeibler/31.jpg[/IMG] Currently managing "Positively" Chris Kanyon. Very little work on the 'stick', very little action, moreso pure eye candy. Kanyon needed a good looker in my book. [B][U]Eric Bischoff[/U][/B] [IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/e/ericbischoff/18.jpg[/IMG] Currently managing "The Genetic Freak" Big Poppa Pump. I chose Bischoff on the basis that he was a devious heel with the good ability to sell a story. When Vader was heel, I had Bischoff working with him too. [B][U]Daffney[/U][/B] [IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/d/daffneyunger/03.jpg[/IMG] I thought her combination with Crowbar had promise, so I kept it as is. [B][U]"The Mouth of the South" Jimmy Hart[/U][/B] [IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/j/jimmyhart/02.jpg[/IMG] The "Mouth of the South" had a good ability to work tag teams up, and hype obvious flaws as strengths. "Work it baby..". He's looking after Beauty and the Beast, Dave "The Animal" Bautista and Randy Orton. He's also managing Mike Awesome, and the New North South Connection, "The King of Old School" Steve Corino and Lance Storm. Guess you could say, the First Family is alive and well. [B][U]"The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes[/U][/B] [IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/d/dustyrhodes/25.jpg[/IMG] The tidal power that is the boogie fever all over this countrah, all over the world... is looking after International Strike Force duo of General Rection and "The Samoan Submission Machine" Samoa Joe. [B][U]Paisely[/U][/B] [IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/s/sharmellesullivan/02.jpg[/IMG] The future Queen Booker is currently working with Jamie Knoble, who hasn't seen a load of action of late. [B][U]Torrie Wilson[/U][/B] [IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/t/torriewilson/01.jpg[/IMG] The fitness freak from Boise, Idaho currently is not seeing much action, managing sometimes jobber Kaz Hayashi. [B][U]Suzanne Flanders[/U][/B] [IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/TheUndertakersGraveyard/DAZ/StephanieMoreno.png[/IMG] A new entry into the 'wrestling world', she has A microphone and charisma skills. She is currently managing The Mamalukes, Big Vito and Johnny the Bull. [B][U][SIZE="4"][CENTER]Other Officials[/CENTER][/SIZE][/U][/B] [B][U]WCW Referees[/U][/B] [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bb/Mickie_Hensen.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/n/nickpatrick/01.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/c/charlesrobinson/04.jpg[/IMG] The men in the centre are none other than Mickey Jay, Nick Patrick and Charles Robinson. [B][U]WCW President[/U][/B] [IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/v/vincerusso/09.jpg[/IMG] The on-air president is none other than Vince Russo. [B][U]The commentary team[/U][/B] [IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/t/tony/02.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/g/gene/03.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/l/larryzbysko/05.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/p/pamelapaulshock/12.jpg[/IMG] The commentary team is currently Tony Schiavone, "Mean" Gene Okerland and "Living Legend" Larry Zbysko. Pamela Paulshock is the backstage interviewer (yummy yummy). [B][U]Road Agents[/U][/B] [IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/f/fit/17.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/p/paulorndorff/07.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/a/arn/02.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/k/kevinsullivan/15.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/t/terrytaylor/03.jpg[/IMG] The road agents are currently Fit Finley, "Mr Wonderful" Paul Orndorff, "The Enforcer" Arn Anderson, "Taskmaster" Kevin Sullivan and Terry Taylor. [B][U]Backstage workers[/U][/B] [IMG]http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/m/midejah/05.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/4/4f/170px-Carmel_Macklin.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.gawker.com/news/ted.turner.jpg[/IMG] Currently working backstage for WCW is, Midajah (I'm waiting for a better time to put her with someone, and I don't want it wasted on Steiner), Billionaire Ted Turner (can't fire him, lifetime), Ms Jones (didn't rate her but I'll keep her incase an idea arises). [B]Note[/B] Diamond Dallas Page had a stint managing the Perfect Event post his turn against Kevin Nash, but this arrangement has since ceased when DDP did the "I know my first name is Steven" on Nash's wife. [/QUOTE] ...Suzanne Flanders pic courtesy of UnderTaker 666. Other's courtesy of Answers (Ms Jones), [url]WWW.gawker.com[/url] for Teddy Turner, Obsessed with Wrestling and Wikipedia

[QUOTE=Stevie F'n Swing;137551]You sir...are a god. I do have one thing to ask though...stop jobbing out Crowbar! And...rehire Daffney. Please?[/QUOTE] Gidday mate. Not sure about that... Stevie Swing, name rings a bell... hmmmm... I'll think of a nice constructive way to rebuild Crowbar. Admittedly, the Hardcore Division has been fairly poor. Daffney's still there, I just haven't really written the manager's into the diary well thus far. She's certainly there with Crowbar.

[B][U][CENTER][IMG]http://steveswrestling.com/logos/wcw/newnitro.jpg[/IMG] WCW Monday Nitro Live on TNT from the Saskatoon Bowl, The Prairies, Canada[/CENTER][/U][/B] [B][U]Goldberg: Which team is he on?[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]At the top of the show, "Nature Boy" Ric Flair goes into the dressing room of Goldberg [*]Goldberg is stretching, near his locker door, which is smashed in from an obvious heat butt [*]"Ric... What's up." [*]"WOOO!!! By now you've heard Bill, the final battle is upon us my friend. Vince Russo, the master of WCW disaster is forming a coalition to take on a team managed by myself, consisting of Sting, "New Generation" Rey Mysterio... and one other." [*]"And?" [*]The two men stand toe to toe [*]Flair starts telling Goldberg of the lineage of WCW [*]The greats of the sport - Steamboat, Sting, and the like - and how Russo and his pack of cheats and frauds wants to end that lineage [*]Flair asks Goldberg one more time if he'll be the last member of Team Flair at SuperBrawl [*]Goldberg says he'll think about it [*]Flair shakes his head, and tells Goldberg no thought is needed [*]The choice is obvious [*]Goldberg tells Flair he'll have his decision tonight [/LIST][/QUOTE] A* [B][U]TV Title Tournament Match "Mr Wiggle" Norman Smiley v Bryan Clarke[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]Two completely different wrestlers [*]One with no fear [*]The other a prolific screamer from England [*]Smiley tried to avoid the Kronik man as much as possible [*]He even took it outside to avoid him [*]But Clarke followed him [*]And sent him hurling into a set of steps at ringside [*]And then face first dropped him onto the steel guardrail [*]He hurled Smiley back in the ring... [*]Pumphandle Power Slam... 1...2....3! [*]Bryan Clarke wins [*]No more screaming tonight for Norman [/LIST][/QUOTE] C- [B][U]Smiley Under Attack[/B][/U] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]Post match, Brian Adams came to ringside to join his KroniK team-mate [*]Adams rolled a table into the ring [*]Smiley was rolled onto the table [*]Adams held down Smiley [*]Clarke went to climb the top turnbuckle [*]However, as he went to jump, he got crotched on the top thanks to...CROWBAR! [*]Crowbar had made the save on Smiley [*]The two men from KroniK met a hasty retreat when Crowbar clotheslined Adams out of the ring [*]Daffney screamed in horror and helped pull Smiley from safety [*]This came from concerned WCW fan Stevie Swing... "I do have one thing to ask though...stop jobbing out Crowbar! And...rehire Daffney. Please?" [*]Appears Daffney was always under WCW lock and key, just slightly, how would you put it, laid up so to speak. [*]Maybe WCW are listening, perhaps this will spark Crowbar's push? [/LIST][/QUOTE] C- [B][U]Big Poppa Pump not happy[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]Backstage, the "Genetic Freak" Big Poppa Pump was in his "Freak Shack" dressing room with Eric Bischoff, and a couple of his "freaks" [*]One of them...ooh la la [*]But Poppa Pump was not happy [*]He even picked up his trusty steel pipe and hurled it at a locker [*]Bischoff asked what the matter was [*]As if he didn't know [*]Roid rage [*]I mean no, Big Poppa Pump said he was sick to death of being embarrassed by that ltitle Mexican jumping bean, Rey Mysterio Jr [*]Bischoff said no problem, I'll just get you another needle [*]No, he said there was only one to settle it all [*]Tonight, in the squared circle... Big Poppa Pump, against Rey Mysterio Jr [/LIST][/QUOTE] B [B][U]TV Title Tournament Match "The Samoan Submission Machine" Samoa Joe v "The Real Deal" AJ Styles[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]Two of WCW newer recruits in action [*]AJ Styles a talented high flyer [*]Samoa Joe with an arsenal of crushing all-round moves, including a dead sequence of submission moves [*]AJ Styles held the early sway [*]Trying to run the big man around [*]However, eventually he fell pray to trying to hit a hurricanrana on Joe, Joe used his additional strength and turned it into an inverted piledriver!!!! [*]Samoa Joe applied the Rear Naked Choke Hold... to which Styles submitted. Samoa Joe advances! [/LIST][/QUOTE] E [B][U]"The American Dream" is delighted[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]Post match, Dusty Rhodes enterred the ring to stand aside his triumphant client [*]Dusty, with a series of "if you weeeeel"s, told the Canadian crowd that there was no better pwospect in professional wrestling todah, bar nun [*]Dusty said Samoa Joe weminded him of himself daddah, the boogie fevah, that is the tidal powa, all ova the countrah, all over the world, all the universz, Samoa Joe [*]Woo- Szmokin [/LIST][/QUOTE] B [B][U]"The Franchise" speaks[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]Backstage, Pamela Paulshock caught up with the "Franchise" Shane Douglas ahead of his match with Sting tonight [*]Douglas said that tonight, Sting would feel the wrath of why Douglas is the Franchise [*]Of why he is the Franchise player at War Games at SuperBrawl [*]And why he will be the man who secures Vince Russo total control once more of World Championship Wrestilng [*]Ahahaha... [*]My my my, Canada certainly agrees with Pamela Paulshock [*]Say... was she the chick in that video I borrowed off Matt the other day... hmmm... [*]Didn't really catch the character's name, don't suspect that was all that important [/LIST][/QUOTE] A [B][U]TV Title Match "Dog-Faced Gremlin" Rick Steiner v "The Animal" Dave Bautista[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]The Mouth of the South early on tried to distract Steiner with some megaphone antics [*]However when Hart went to the apron to try and distract Steiner, he only caught a stray lariat from Bautista [*]As Hart tried to recover, Steiner went to work on Bautista [*]He showed some of his amatuer skills [*]hmmm... where THE HELL have those skills been? [*]Eventually though he resorted to the tried, true, and somewhat mundane Bulldog....1....2...3!! Steiner advances. Man, Bautista looks jacked up, naturally though? [/LIST][/QUOTE] C [B][U]"Nature Boy" sees Sting[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]Backstage, Ric Flair entered Sting's lair [*]Sting was sitting in almost a sombore mood [*]Thinking of other things [*]Flair told Sting what Douglas had said [*]And then proceeded to tell Sting that there was no way Sting would let himself down tonight to lose to that punk [*]WOO!!! He reminded Sting of some of their own epic battles, including the one at Greed.. [*]WOOO!!!! He said diamonds are forever, and so is .. STING! [/LIST][/QUOTE] A* [B][U]TV Title Match "Above Average" Mike Sanders v "The Beast from the East" Bam Bam Bigelow[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]The final match of the round robin [*]Bam Bam Bigelow looked in rare form [*]He used the corners of the ring to his advantage [*]Squashing Sanders at will [*]However, eventually Sanders moved out of the corner at one running knee attempt and hit a drop toe hold into the steel ring post! [*]Bam Bam was stunned! [*]Sanders brought him into the middle of the ring [*]And pointed the referee to the entrance way making out someone was coming [*]Sanders slipped on some brass knucks... [*]LOW BLOW!!! [*]He covered...1....2....no...no, don't tell me he missed it...3.! He did miss it. Sanders, your winner. [*]YU.. that'll put bums on seats. [/LIST][/QUOTE] C [B][U]Vader - Japanese Foreignor of the Decade[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]Backstage, two Japanese men in suits entered the dressing room of Vader [*]The first man spoke entirely in Japanese [*]Good one fellas, I can't speak it [*]THankfully, the second man was a translater [*]He explained that they had come from Japanese Wrestling Magazine [*]And that they'd come in search of the great Vader [*]Vader spat our steam through his mask [*]The two men staggered backwards [*]But carried on anyway [*]They advised that they had held a poll of the best foreign wrestler of the 1990's in Japan [*]And Vader's name had been nominated [*]And what's more, he'd won [*]So they had a presentation for him, a trophy [*]As they went to hand him the trophy, Vader unmasked the metal piece to show his appreciation, Jeff Jarrett stormed into the ring [*]He lariated both the visitors [*]And then hit an electric guitar across the now unmasked head of Vader [*]Jarrett told Vader that real wrestlers came from Memphis [*]And that it was more of a honour to earn accolades in the Mid South than in Japan [*]He said he was the Chosen One, with all the Stroke Around this Place, so Choke on that.. SLAPNUT [*]After he left the room, Vader simply sat up.... demon like... as if nothing had even hit him... [*]Who can smell.... POP! POP for Vader [/LIST][/QUOTE] B+ [B][U]"Big Sexy" has no guests tonight on "Nashing Out"[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]Kevin Nash sat in his custom made "Nashing Out" set in the centre of the ring [*]But he announced he didn't have any guests tonight [*]No, he had to get something off his chest [*]He called out Chavo Guerrero Jr [*]After a couple of times through Chavo's entrance song, Kevin Sullivan came to the ring to whisper something in Kevin's air [*]Nash told the fans that he'd been advised that Chavo had not come to Canada [*]He said Chavo thought Canada was not important enough [*]He told Chavo that the real reason was he was scared of the revenge Nash was thinking up [*]Nash told Chavo that he'd been told that Chavo had to appear at the debut of Fire, as per clause 54C.II of his contract [*]And that Nash would be waiting for him.... [*]He dropped the microphone and stormed out of the ring [*]Nash also got somewhat of a pop, a cheap one, thanks to him wearing a Calgary Hitman hockey shirt [/LIST][/QUOTE] B [B][U]"The Master and Ruler of the World" meets his tag partners[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]Backstage, Sid Vicious entered the dressing room of Konnan and Kidman, the Tag Team Champions [*]They were listening to some rap music [*]Sid shook his head in dismay [*]He asked if this was the right room [*]Konnan said yes it was, and tonight they were all going to get bawdy bawdy, and rowdy rowdy [*]Konnan asked Sid if he's ever really listened to good rap [*]Sid said he hated rap [*]Konnan started showing Sid some rap moves [*]And got the big man trying to do them... [*]but badly [/LIST][/QUOTE] B- [B][U]"The Master and Ruler of the World" Sid Vicious with Tag Team Champions the Filthy Animals v WCW US Champion Sean O'Haire and the New North South Connection[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]The regular tag team's ran the match at a hectic pace [*]However, Sid, as he's inclined to do, slowed the match down when he got his chance against Sean [*]And for the most part, the match was about the US Title storyline between Sid and Sean O'Haire [*]O'Haire was strong throughout [*]But used a variety of cheap moves [*]O'Haire is definitely earning some rank heat [*]However, Sean O'Haire tried to hit a choke slam on Vicious, but couldn't get him up [*]So Sid tried for the PowerBomb... and HE GOT HIM UP!!!! AND DOWN!!! [*]Both tag teams ran in, but the Filthy Animals were able to keep the New North South Connection away as Sid covered... [*]1...2....3! [/LIST][/QUOTE] B [B][U]The WCW Heavyweight Champion Speaks[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]Booker T came to the ring after the commercial break [*]He told the fans that tonight was the start of an exciting new era [*]He said that after months of torture of whether or not WCW would survive or not, that in fact, WCW would now be a three show per week line up [*]He said that everything was setting itself up well for SuperBrawl Revenge [*]Except for one thing [*]Or one ... player [*]Booker T said Chris Kanyon was a hell of a competitor [*]And he put him through his paces in a grueling match at Nitro [*]And there was no doubt he deserved a shot [*]But that the honour and prestige of the belt that he held needed to be upheld [*]And that tonight, Chris Kanyon would get the first taste of the power in the veins of Booker T to protect the history of the belt [*]...Now, can you dig it, SUCKA! [/LIST][/QUOTE] B+ [B][U]Sting v "The Franchise" Shane Douglas[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]A high class match [*]With two high class competitors [*]One a favourite of Ric Flair [*]The other a personal hater of Ric Flair [*]Shoot, work, whatever, they aint' getting on good 'man [*]Douglas dominated early on [*]He used a series of suplexes and leg sweeps to bring Sting under control [*]He even put on a couple of STF holds to try and wear out the great one [*]And it appeared to be paying dividends [*]However in a moment reminiscent of his old tag team partner from the UWF days, Ultimate Warrior [*]He summonsed to the heavens for a burst of energy [*]And it was a burst he got [*]For two or three minutes he completed dominated [*]And had Douglas set up read to get for the Scorpion Deathdrop [*]But before he hit it, Douglas knocked his elbow under the ribcage of Sting [*]Douglas found another slice of energy, ran into the ropes, came back... FRANCHISER!!! [*]1....2....3! [/LIST][/QUOTE] A* [B][U]Big Poppa Pump/Rey recap[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]A video played highlighting Rey's status as an underdog [*]Yet his ability to continually turn it up and acheive the supposedly unachievable [*]It shows the continued frustration of Big Poppa Pump as Rey Mysterio Jr gains ascendency in WCW [/LIST][/QUOTE] B [B][U]"The Genetic Freak" Big Poppa Pump v "The New Generation" Rey Mysterio Jr[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]Big Poppa Pump took to Rey early on [*]He showed a lot of passion in his power game [*]He was very intent to use Rey as a lawn dart [*]Hey yo, do I sense a little Outsiders influence? [*]"Oh no, they just lawndarted Rey into the production truck" [*]Rey was being tossed around like a rag doll [*]However, eventually Big Poppa Pump showed off his peaks for his freaks [*]And this allowed Rey back into it [*]He's too good to turn your back on [*]For a good 3-4 minutes, Rey dazzled us with some slick moves from the ropes utilising his superior agility [*]He went for the Springboard Hurricanarana.... ye..NO! He was caught.... modified DDT from Steiner....cover...1....2...3! [/LIST][/QUOTE] A [B][U]Attacking the little man[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]Post match, Big Poppa Pump relentlessly beat on Rey Mysterio Jr [*]Goldberg came storming to the ring!!! [*]Big Poppa Pump held Rey up, who was unable to stand on his own feet [*]Goldberg high fived Big Poppa Pump [*]Trash started to fill the ring [*]Goldberg had sided with Russo's team [*]You piece of sh!t! [*]Poppa Pump held Rey up for a spear... [*]Here comes Goldberg... [*]SPEAR!!! [*]ON BIG POPPA PUMP!!!!! [*]Goldberg spat on Big Poppa Pump, picked up Rey Mysterio, and held him on his shoulders and got him out of harm's way [/LIST][/QUOTE] B+ [B][U]WCW World Heavyweight Champion Booker T v "Positively" Chris Kanyon - Non Title Match[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]These two foes went head to head again [*]Booker T carried a limp courtesy of the great match last week at Thunder [*]The TLC match from hell [*]But Booker T is a fighting champion, and no matter how often Kanyon went to work on his leg, Booker T battled out of harm's way [*]In the middle of the match, Kanyon redefinied why he's considered the Innovator of Offence with some unbelievable moves [*]Booker T though found a way [*]There's nothing like Booker T's courage [*]Or his tenacity [*]And he kept coming back [*]Kanyon went for the Kanyon Cutter, but Booker shrugged it off... kicked him in the chest... BOOK-END!!! 1...2...3! [/LIST][/QUOTE] A Overall Rating: A Attendance: 5,000 Nitro drew 1,097,238 on TNT RAW is WAR put on a C+ show with the main event being Chris Benoit and Rikishi v the APA with Benoit and Rikishi winning. They attracted 10,000 fans to the Freeman Coliseum in the Mid South. There were three title matches - Trish defeated Lita to retain the Womens Championship, X-Pac defeated Raven to retain the Intercontinental Championship, and Crash Holly defeat TAKA Michinoku to retain the Light Heavyweight Championship. RAW is WAR got 1,286,710 on UPN. Both shows contended with Monday Night Football. WOOT!! WCW NEARLY beat WWF in the ratings... WOOT! WWF dropped from 85% to 83.2% in the USA in popularity post that one bad show. WCW stayed largely the same. Uh-oh, hope Vinnie isn't helping Chris Jericho refill Regal's tea canister...

[B][U][CENTER][IMG]http://www.storage4all.com/uploads/eb3e4c9d08.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER][/U][/B] [B][U][CENTER]Friday Fire Card[/CENTER][/U][/B] [LIST] [*]Sting and WCW World Heavyweight Champion Booker T v "The Genetic Freak" Big Poppa Pump and "Positively" Chris Kanyon [*]"Big Sexy" Kevin Nash v Chavo Guerrero Jr [*]"New Generation" Rey Mysterio Jr and Goldberg v "The Franchise" Shane Douglas and Diamond Dallas Page [*]"Above Average" Mike Sanders v "I'm not Dusty" Dustin Rhodes [*]"The Samoan Submission Machine" Samoa Joe v Jerry Lynn [*]Bryan Clarke v "The Sultan of Swing" Juventud Guerrera [*]"Dog Faced Gremlin" Rick Steiner v "Mr Monday Night" Rob Van Dam [*]The New North South Connection (Storm/Corino) v The Perfect Event (Palumbo/Stasiak) [*]Jung Dragons (Kaz Hayashi & Jimmy Yang) v Oppositely Hardcore (Norman Smiley and Crowbar) [*]Plus appearances from Vader, Jeff Jarrett, Sid Vicious, US Champion Sean O'Haire, WCW Tag Team Champions the Filthy Animals and more! [/LIST] Tune in as Fire! debuts on CBS at 10PM! (Predictions, tips, comments as always welcome)

[CENTER][IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/17/Wwfsmackdownlogo.gif[/IMG][/CENTER] [B][U]SmackDown! recap[/U][/B] C+ show ran in front of 15,000 fans at Royal Athletic Club in British Columbia WWF's popularity dropped from 83.2% to 82.7% across the US. The main event featured Benoit beating Regal Trish defeated Lita for the Women's Title HHH and Angle defeated the APA No other major features. The likes of Chris Jericho, Undertaker, The Rock, Eddie Guerrero, the Dudleyz, Edge, Christian, Steve Austin, Kane, Raven, Dean Malenko, IC Champion X-Pac were all not used on SmackDown!, despite fledgling ratings. SmackDown!, now unopposed garnered 1,694,600 viewers. Despite being completely unopposed, this was still a fairly signiificant drop in viewership.

Guest Stevie F'n Swing
Looks like WWE is doing most of the work for you. Big Wiggle + Crowbar = brilliant pairing. Always liked Norman...especially when he won the Backyard Championship of the World. # Sting and WCW World Heavyweight Champion Booker T v "[B]The Genetic Freak" Big Poppa Pump and "Positively" Chris Kanyon[/B] # "Big Sexy" Kevin Nash v [B]Chavo Guerrero Jr[/B] # [B]"New Generation" Rey Mysterio Jr and Goldberg[/B] v "The Franchise" Shane Douglas and Diamond Dallas Page # "Above Average" Mike Sanders v [B]"I'm not Dusty" Dustin Rhodes[/B] # [B]"The Samoan Submission Machine" Samoa Joe[/B] v Jerry Lynn # Bryan Clarke v [B]"The Sultan of Swing" Juventud Guerrera[/B] # "Dog Faced Gremlin" Rick Steiner v [B]"Mr Monday Night" Rob Van Dam[/B] # [B]The New North South Connection (Storm/Corino)[/B] v The Perfect Event (Palumbo/Stasiak) # Jung Dragons (Kaz Hayashi & Jimmy Yang) v [B]Oppositely Hardcore (Norman Smiley and Crowbar)[/B]

[QUOTE=tristram;137609][B][U][CENTER][IMG]http://www.storage4all.com/uploads/eb3e4c9d08.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER][/U][/B] [B][U][CENTER]Friday Fire Card[/CENTER][/U][/B] [LIST] [*]Sting and WCW World Heavyweight Champion Booker T v [B]"The Genetic Freak" Big Poppa Pump and "Positively" Chris Kanyon[/B] - To advance the Booker T & Kanyon storyline [*]"[B]Big Sexy" Kevin Nash[/B] v Chavo Guerrero Jr - I think this feud will continue past this point [*]"New Generation" [B]Rey Mysterio Jr and Goldberg[/B] v "The Franchise" Shane Douglas and Diamond Dallas Page - I loved the fake turn by Goldberg. Brilliant! [*]"[B]Above Average" Mike Sanders[/B] v "I'm not Dusty" Dustin Rhodes - Without Goldust he isint much [*]"[B]The Samoan Submission Machine" Samoa Joe[/B] v Jerry Lynn - Huge Joe fan, he is my NWA World Champion in my TNA diary. [*]Bryan Clarke v "[B]The Sultan of Swing" Juventud Guerrera[/B] [*]"Dog Faced Gremlin" Rick Steiner v [B]"Mr Monday Night" Rob Van Dam[/B] - RVD all the way baby [*][B]The New North South Connection (Storm/Corino)[/B] v The Perfect Event (Palumbo/Stasiak) - I can tell you have a thing for these guys. [*]Jung Dragons (Kaz Hayashi & Jimmy Yang) v [B]Oppositely Hardcore (Norman Smiley and Crowbar)[/B] - Just for kicks [*]Plus appearances from Vader, Jeff Jarrett, Sid Vicious, US Champion Sean O'Haire, WCW Tag Team Champions the Filthy Animals and more! [/LIST][/QUOTE] Good show brother!

Guest Stevie F'n Swing
One more thing that I would mark for is more Big Dust. I'm unashamed in saying that the man is one of the greatest color guys of all time, if you weeel, dispite his inablility to talk, baby, and brudda, the man can work the stick. That was terrible...but whatever. Also, good to see Jimmy Hart doing stuff.

Ego - thanks for the logo. The graphics you use in your dynasty are kick a$$! Stevie, Dusty is great. I'm a Dusty fan, if you weeeel, got the DVD set which I reckon is hella-cool, also going back to "War Games" is in some way a tribute to Dusty as I believe it was a Dusty idea there is not a whole lot more I need to say about the way I feel about Wic Flair, no respect, no honourhhhh, there is no honourrrhhh in theivesz in the firszt placse, you bwought hard times upon Dustah Rhodes and his familah.... WOO!! Thatsz funkah, thatsz the Amewican Dweam.... Who'll ever forget the hard time blues speech? "My hand.. is touching YOUR hand..."... Or the WWF interview "I never weally thought 265 poundsz... of blue eye soul would captivate a countrah like I have..." At the moment, I'm using him to back up International Strike Force, or moreso, Samoa Joe, and I'll be using his microphone skills to get Samoa some overness and awareness over the coming months.

[B][U][CENTER][IMG]http://www.storage4all.com/uploads/eb3e4c9d08.jpg[/IMG] WCW Fire, live on CBS, from the Theatre of Dreams, North West, USA Friday 1, March, 2001[/CENTER][/U][/B] [B][U]The Jung Dragons (Kaz Hayashi and Jimmy Yang) v Oppositely Hardcore (Crowbar and Norman Smiley)[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]The tag team debut of two distinctly bizarre characters, "Mr Wiggle" Norman Smiley and the insane hardcore wrestler Crowbar [*]They had of course found some limited success in WCW before, but had been used sparingly under the new regime [*]Their opponents were equally sparingly used, from the Orient, the Jung Dragons [*]The match was a quick one, and established a power game for Crowbar, who was very dominant over both Hayashi and Yang [*]Smiley came in for a couple of comical spots featuring the Wiggle, and a scream when Hayashi hit a flying hurricanrana on him [*]But largely the man who came out of this one strongest was Crowbar [*]He ended up hitting the Thunderclap Brainbuster on Yang for the pinfall victory [*]Daffney screamed in delight, does she know any other way? [/LIST][/QUOTE] D [B][U]Defend our history[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]Backstage, "Nature Boy" Ric Flair had Goldberg, Sting and "New Generation" Rey Mysterio assembled in a small room with a whiteboard [*]WOO!!! [*]He told the three men that they were the chosen one's to defend not only the career of Ric Flair at SuperBrawl Revenge, but the dignity of those heroes who'd gone before them [*]... Arn Anderson, Ricky Steamboat, Paul Orndorff, Harley Race, Stan Hansen, Tully Blanchard, Dusty Rhodes, Brian Pillman and the like who'd all worked tirelessly to build the WCW name [*]He explained to them that losing at SuperBrawl Revenge would leave WCW in exactly the same predicament he found itself in not too long ago [*]... Knockin on heaven's door... WOOO!! [*]He reminded them of the bull**** Vince Russo had pulled in his time [*]He pulled out the names David Arquette and Vince Russo, and asked how these two men could honestly rival Sting, Goldberg, and other great former WCW and NWA Champions [*]... They couldn't [*]But to Vince Russo, they did [*]And he sold the company short because of it [*]He told them to beat the men, you have to beat... the men [*]And that diamonds are forever... and so is WCW... [*]Can I get a WOO?? [*]Goldberg, Mysterio and Sting looked at each other, put their hands together with Ric Flair and simultaneously.... [*]WOOOO!!! ed [/LIST][/QUOTE] B+ [B][U]The American Dream speaks out about the Samoan Submission Machine[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]In the ring, the American Dream stands next to his newest prodigy, Samoa Joe, the Samoan Submission Machine [*]Dusty says that without a shadow of a doubt, thisz particularh man is the best young wrestzla in dubbya cee dubbya, bar noooone [*]He says Samoa Joe reminds him of a young Amewicun Dweam - sstrong, musscular, charissssmatarc, he isz the boogie fever that isz the tidal wave all over the countrah [*]all over the worrrld [*]all over thisz unavuszz [*]Just then, Jerry Lynn's music hits and he comes running to the ring [/LIST][/QUOTE] B- [B][U]TV Title Tournament Match Jerry Lynn v "The Samoan Submission Machine" Samoa Joe[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]A frenetic match between two outstanding technicians [*]A lot of two-ing and fro-ing [*]Lynn held the early advantage [*]Then Samoa Joe used his superior strength to over power him and wear him down with some submission holds [*]Eventually Jerry Lynn recovered, and sent the big man into the ropes [*]Samoa Joe rebounded... [*]double clothesline! [*]Both men are down... [*]next to each other [*]Both men's arms are draped over each other [*]Both men are flat out on their shoulders... [*]1....2....3! [*]WE have a double pinfall draw! [/LIST][/QUOTE] C+ [B][U]"The Nature Boy" has an announcement[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]The American Dream looked on in shock and got in the ring looking confused [*]The classical music of Ric Flair, and the Nature Boy came to the top of the ramp [*]He said he decreed that this WCW Televisions Title was about honour [*]It was about great wrestling ability [*]It was about courage [*]He said both men had displayed that, so tonight, he was invoking a clause in the Television Title Tournament with the WCW Committee that noted ... any draws not pertaining to a disqualification meant both men went through... [*]To a three way match [*]WOOO!!! [/LIST][/QUOTE] C+ [B][U]Booker T/Positively Chris Kanyon video[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]A video was played highlighting the events building up to SuperBrawl [*]Including Chris Kanyon attaining number one contendor status [*]And then beating Booker T at the next Nitro in a gripping ladder match [*]It was shown on the video that the match sanctioned for SuperBrawl Revenge would be 1 v 1 TLC Match for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship [/LIST][/QUOTE] B+ [B][U]The New North South Connection (Lance Storm and "The King of Old School" Steve Corino v The Perfect Event ("Main Event" Chuck Palumbo and "Perfectshawn" Shawn Stasiak)[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]The former tag champs against a team making large strides in the tag division [*]Two larger stronger workers against two lighter nimble workers [*]And for most of the match, it was if the WWF was booking it [*]"A big man always overpowers a little man" [*]"Yes that's right Vince, I scratch your back, you scratch mine, I suck this, you suck that, ching ching ching ching" [*]But eventually, the New North South Connection were to get in a couple of counters, and start transferring momentum to their side [*]Evenualyl, after Steve Corino and Shawn Stasiak were on the outside after Corino hit a cross body block to the outside, Storm put Palumbo in a dragon sleeper [*]Palumbo was in the center of the ring [*]He tried to fight it [*]But it was too good for him [*]And before the lights went out, he gagged surrendor to the referee [*]The winners, the New North South Connection [/LIST][/QUOTE] B- [B][U]"Above Average" Mike Sanders talks to Pamela Paulshock[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]Backstage, Pamela Paulshock met Sanders in front of the Fire logo [*]She asked how he felt about tonight's match [*]Sanders said that at the moment, that wasn't important [*]Taking her every curve in though was [*]He said that Dustin Rhodes was caught up trying to break the like father, like son curse he had inherited [*]And that that spirit would surely overcome him [*]He then left, blowing a kiss to Paulshock [/LIST][/QUOTE] B [B][U]TV Title Tournament Match Bryan Clarke v "Sultan of Swing" Juventud Guerrera[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]Bryan Adams came to ringside to support his KroniK team-mate [*]Juvi got a large pop [*]And was generally the more energetic of the two [*]Guess what? [*]The world is going to end tomorrow [*]It must be the apocalypse [*]Because Clarke sold clean the 450 Splash! 1...2...3! [/LIST][/QUOTE] C+ [B][U]"GET HIM!"[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]After the match, Daffney came to the stage with Oppositely Hardcore [*]She ordered Smiley and Crowbar to take out KroniK [*]They ran to the ring as demanded [*]Smiley grabbed a chair and smashed it over the head of Brian Adams [*]Clarke was still out to the 450 Splash, so they grabbed a table... [*]Crowbar piledrived Clarke through the table! [*]Daffney screamed in delight [/LIST][/QUOTE] D [B][U]A bit of haircream?[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]Backstage, "The Chosen One" Jeff Jarrett ran into Vader [*]Vader was without his ceremonial metallic mask [*]Jeff Jarrett asked Vader what it was like to be second rate to Memphis' finest since the King [*]Vader didn't answer [*]Jarrett asked if the cat had got his tongue [*]Or he'd plain forgot how good Jarrett was [*]Jarrett took the hand from his blazer pocket and smeared haircream through the eyes of Vader who shrieked in horrow [*]"Perhaps that'll make you remember how good I am - Choke on that, slapnut!" [*]Bam Bam Terry Gordy would be hella proud right now [/LIST][/QUOTE] A [B][U]TV Title Tournament Match "Mr Monday Night" Rob Van Dam v "Dog Faced Gremlin" Rick Steiner[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]A brutal match, particularly from Rick Steiner [*]He asks for no quarters, and gives none in return [*]Always has been a hard man [*]They came from the era of the Road Warriors [*]Where you learn, you do not sell unless necessary [*]Obviously you have to adjust, and to some respect they have [*].... But not too much [*]A lot of powerslams [*]Shoulder breakers [*]From Steiner who was trying to wear out Rob Van Dam [*]He went for another power slam, but somehow Rob Van Dam positioned himself to turn it into a head scissors takedown [*]He then hit a modified inverted piledriver on the DFG [*]He went to the top.... FIVE STAR FROG SPLASH!!! [*]RVD looks injured too [*]He merely lays the arm across [*]1...2....3! RVD advances [/LIST][/QUOTE] B- [B][U]"Nashing out"[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]Kevin Nash is in the centre of the ring [*]He tells the crowd that his guest for Nashing Out this week will be referee Mickey Jay [*]As Mickey Jay comes down, he gets speared by a person from the crowd [*]CHAVO! [*]Chavo makes his way to the ring [*]There is a tense stand off [*]Chavo grabs the microphone from Nash [*]He says he hasn't come out to cause any harm [*]Infact, homes, he's been doing some thinking [*]And homes, he thinks he's misjduged Nash [*]He says he was showing too much latino heat [*]And that Nash is infact a good amigo [*]So the reason he had to be on Nashing Out tonight was to apologise [*]Kevin Nash doesn't know whether to accept Chavo's hand [*]He turns around and starts asking the crowd [*]As he does, Chavo grabs the guests stool and smashes it over the head of Nash! [*]Referee Nick Patrick had come down to ringside to assist Mickey Jay [*]Chavo tells Nick Patrick to get in the ring because there's a match to officiate [/LIST][/QUOTE] C- [B][U]"Big Sexy" Kevin Nash v Chavo Guerrero Jr[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]Nash is badly bloodied up [*]Nick Patrick tells Chavo he plans to stop the match for blood loss [*]Chavo says no, and then points Patrick towards the arena entrance saying someone's coming [*]BRASS KNUCKS to the eyes! [*]He throws them outside before Patrick can see [*]Chavo begins to dominate the match [*]Head scissors take downs [*]Hurricanranas [*]Springboard missile dropkicks [*]All wearing down the big man who couldn't even see [*]Eventually Chavo went for another cross ring move, but out of nowhere Nash hit a big boot! [*]He clears the eyes... [*]JACK KNIFE POWER BOMB!!!! 1....2....3! [/LIST][/QUOTE] C+ [B][U]TV Title Tournament Match "Above Average" Mike Sanders v "I'm not Dusty" Dustin Rhodes[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]Before the match starts, Dustin Rhodes grabs a microphone to tell the fans he is not Dusty Rhodes [*]But Sanders gives him a low blow [*]Roll up...1....2...3! [*]What a squash! [*]Dustin Rhodes career is going nowhere fast [/LIST][/QUOTE] C+ [B][U]Back in the carpark[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]Miraculously, we have a camera crew out in the carpark [*]Where Sid Vicious is being brutally manhandled [*]By Sean O'Haire [*]He's using the WCW United States Championship as a weapon [*]Infact, he puts Vicious on the back of a pick up truck [*]And lays the belt down on the floor of the back of the pick up truck [*]Piledriver...onto the back of the pick-up truck and onto the belt!!! [*]Vicious is out [*]"Don't mess with me biatch, this belt is mine..." [/LIST][/QUOTE] C [B][U]Konnan interview[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]Backstage, Pamela Paulshock is standing by with K-Dawg [*]The WCW Tag Team Championship tells his homies that Kidman can't be here tonight [*]But he'll be with K-Dawg at the debut of Glycerine, putting the tag titles on the line in a three way match with Perfect Event and the New North South Connection [*]Pam asks where he is [*]Konnan says he's enjoying a night off, as he should be entitled, and he begins to list the amount of wins the Filthy Animals have had of late [*]He says the Filthy Animals are all about success... and partying... bowdy bowdy... and rowdy rowdy... OH YEAH! [/LIST][/QUOTE] B- [B][U]Goldberg and "New Generation" Rey Mysterio v "The King of Bling Bling" Diamond Dallas Page and "Franchise" Shane Douglas[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]Four guys with key roles to play at SuperBrawl Revenge [*]Two members of Team Flair in Goldberg and Mysterio and two members of Team Russo, Douglas and DDP [*]Goldberg was dominant early on [*]Even hitting a spear on DDP [*]After dominating, he let his little mate Rey have a go [*]And Rey too, dominated with his great agility and athleticism [*]Eventually Douglas tried to attack the calf of Goldberg [*]Who sold it like a demon [*]Douglas tagged in DDP who worked over Goldberg too [*]Clearly Goldberg was strugglign [*]But somehow he got the hot tag to Rey [*]Mysterio tried to take it to DDP [*]But after a couple of quick head scissors takedowns [*]Vince Russo distracted the referee, allowing Douglas to catch Rey mid air, and hit a crushing belly to belly suplex [*]Goldberg was still out on the floor, clutching at his calf [*]DDP signalled for the Diamond Cutter.... He hit it!!! 1....2....3! [/LIST][/QUOTE] B [B][U]Big Poppa Pump meets up with Kanyon[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]Backstage, Big Poppa Pump met up with Chris Kanyon [*]He told the number one contendor of his hatred for Sting and team Flair in general [*]Kanyon told Big Poppa Pump how he had no respect for Booker T and was selevating at the prospect of taking his belt at SuperBrawl Revenge [*]Big Poppa Pump went to walk away, as he did though, Kanyon said that he had a match tonight with both Sting and Booker T, and it'd be Positively genius if the Genetic Freak teamed up with the number one player tonight [/LIST][/QUOTE] B+ [B][U]"Positively" Chris Kanyon and the "Genetic Freak" Big Poppa Pump v WCW World Heavyweight Champion Booker T and Sting[/U][/B] [QUOTE][LIST] [*]Big Poppa Pump and Kanyon seemed to team well [*]And used that team-work to their advantage early on [*]Big Poppa Pump used raw power [*]Chris Kanyon used some very innovative offence with modified power slams, suplexes, and DDTs on Sting and Booker T [*]There is no doubt whatsoever that Kanyon deserves this title shot [*]His range of offence is incredulous [*]Eventually all seemed lost when Booker T and Kanyon started brawling up the aisle [*]Leaving a beaten and bruised Sting against Chris Kanyon [*]Kanyon went for a... STINGER SPLASH!!! [*]But Sting himself moved... [*]KANYON CUTTER!!!! From Sting...1....2....3! [/LIST][/QUOTE] A* Rating: A Attendence: 9,558 Fire drew....3,345,085 on CBS. "King of Old School" Steve Corino suffered a broken toe on Fire.

... [QUOTE][SIZE="4"][U][B]From the Memoirs of John Simpson[/B][/U][/SIZE] Wrestling is a difficult business. No matter what era you are in, no matter the state of the wrestling industry, no matter what general economic environmental factors you deal with at any given time, judging and acting upon the best instincts of the biggest wrestling stakeholder - the fans - is a difficult exercise. It can be downright brutal; just ask Jim Crockett Jr, Verne Gagne, Eric Bischoff, Jim Barnett, Bob Geigel, Paul Heyman, Carlos Colon, Stu Hart, Sam Muchnick; all men with indisputable claims to greatness in terms of reading their target markets minds and acting accordingly, but ultimately, all men doomed in the art of putting on a good contest consistently in the squared circle. With that in mind, the ultimate winner of wrestling supremacy contests in North America has been the McMahons - Vince McMahon Jr and Vince McMahon Sr. Taking on Vince McMahon Jr head to head is like signing your own death warrant. It's like selecting your career cemeterial plot. It's like going up to six men and telling them your career will be dead in a matter of weeks and you require them to metaphorically lay your career to rest six feet under. But that is the situation I found myself in. Every second of every day, every living breath was consumed so far in dealing with the key moments that define life or death of a wrestling promotion, and indeed, the wrestling industry as a whole. Vince McMahon would not like to admit it; but in my opinion, his ever growing quest to monopolise the industry is smeared with the potential death of wrestling popularity. Wrestling is becoming more and more alligned to new markets like internet fans who are wise to the on goings of professional wrestling. Given them the same repackaged programs week in, week out, with no competition to spur on the creative juices, in my eyes, is a doomed ideaology. Following the upcoming edition of Glyercine though, our show's debut, I knew I had to take a step back and recharge the batteries for a moment. No matter who you are, whether you are Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Malcolm X, Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon, John Steinbeck, or even Vince McMahon himself, you need to know when it's time to pass the reigns for a fleeting second and set the battery on recharge. Continual involvement in something this diverse can lead to you losing sight of what it is you are serving to do - repackage your resources in such a way that you satisfy the customer demand. In a nutshell, provide the product your consumers demand. If you get too caught up in the office, and don't take a step back for a day or so to see what's happening in the real world, you will lose sight of it, and you will lose sight of the changing trends and become very open to the avalanche effect of professional wrestling failure. Friday Fire in my eyes represented a successful show. Not least in terms of the sheer numbers that watched the show. But also in terms of developing important storylines, and still managing to put on well thought out wrestling matches. My lifetime in being a professional wrestling fan has always been about paying homage to those wrestlers who know how to tell a story in the ring. It's a dying art sadly, the one hour broadways which had you enthralled are certainly gone. It's almost now solely a physical gladitorial confrontation that uses outside gimmicks such as interference and match stipulations to tell the intensity of a story. That is one thing we at the new World Championship Wrestling have worked very hard to draw away from. Yes, there has to be definitive moments, but they are key moments, and are not moments that are needed in every match. I truly feel that WCW became susceptible to believing that the actual wrestling match came second in importance to the soap opera product it was developing. It should always be remembered, people tune into wrestling first for, oddly enough, professional wrestling. The storyline is an add on. Just as I was about to leave the office, at 3:43AM in the morning, reading to be back in by 7:15AM to set up the debut of Glycerine, the office phone rang. Through the constraints of tiredness, I did not want to pick it up. However, professional wrestling requires ethics and decency at the top, so I picked it up. "Hello?" I enquired. The phone hung for a few seconds. No answer. The last thing I needed at this time was a prank. "Yeah?" I asked again. "Who is this?" I was not happy. Then I heard an evil, gloating laugh in the background. "A little bit of history, John," the voice muttered. "A little bit of history. A little bit of chaos, a little bit of plunder, a little bit of ... death." Death-threats? Already? "You see John," the voice said in between moments of insiduous laughter, "You've forgotten your roots. You and the wrestling world have forgotten the very moment they all lost control of their bladders. It's coming John, it's coming..." "What's coming?" I nervously enquired. Beep... Beep.... Beep. Whoever it was had hung up. The sweat started building on my forehead, my palms were like the shores of Lake Michigan. What was this? Who was that? What did he mean? When was it coming? I thought I had some semblence of control. Of course, not being naiive enough to think I controlled the wrestling industry, but I would like to think I held some composure and managerial control over the reigns of World Championship Wrestling. I nervously reached for my keys from my pocket, but before I left to go home I made one last phone call. "I love you," I said into my cell phone. I hoped my wife would not be getting that message after a phone call from the local police department. The call had me worried.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Duffman;138599]Great show and great ratings. I'm loving the the character development. The diary makes me believe the character which I think is the key because they are booked wonderfully.[/QUOTE] Thanks Duffman. Yes, character development and time put into characters in my eyes was a large reason for the death of dubbya cee dubbya. Jericho, Benoit, Malenko, Raven, Guerrero, Mysterio Jr, Guerrera - they all got labelled "Vanilla Midgets". Why? Why not give them a push, and give them something worth pushing hard for. See where it takes you. That's what happened with two other "Vanilla Midgets" in Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels, even the Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin, and as they say, the rest is history. Sometimes you are good enough, sometimes you aren't, it just seems WCW was too caught up in the nWo to care to try.

[QUOTE=The Stallion;138882]Oooo, I like the little background stuff. That little extra flair (no pun intended) will go a long way. Fire was very good as well.[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=Duffman;138889]That memoirs post was good way to keep things interesting outside of the ring.[/QUOTE] Thanks lads. Something is going down, but far be it for me to give it away ;)

Archived