Signings that you wanted to make, but couldn't?

Due to some recent events in my current save, I thought that this might be an interesting question. Has anyone else ever come across an opportunity to sign someone that you would normally jump at the chance for, but had to pass on because you didn't think that they would fit in your current product, or some other reason that just made it not feel right?

For me, it would be Mutant. FCW closed down recently in my current save, and Mutant was the first person that immediately came to mind as a signing. However, I'm running a rather serious workrate-focused puro promotion at the time, and I wasn't sure if he would work well in that environment. I haven't closed the door completely, but my doubts stopped me from making a quick signing. I also hesitated on Hector Galindo and Rudy Vazquez, but I am still considering them in case I try to make a real tag division.

Anyone else have any examples?

This sort of thing happens to me quite often. Mostly, it's not the product though, it's the timing. There are workers on my shortlist that I could make a play for but hold off on for one reason or another. Recently, I passed on Hollywood Bret Starr, who I love, because I didn't have enough opponents for him at his level. He would've had to come in and either lose to my main eventers or go over a bunch of midcarders that aren't ready yet. So, I let him go to USPW and will go hopefully get another shot at him in three years.

On the other hand, I sometimes sign people that I don't necessarily want right now based upon their age. If a worker is in their late 30s / early 40s and their contract comes up, I'll often bring them in even if I have no real plans for them. This is because I want to get them before it's too late; if I leave it another three years for someone at that age, they might be in decline by the time I get them.

Today in fact, I had to make the difficult decision to pass on signing Joss Thompson in my TCW game. I had already passed out some big contracts to rebuild TCW, including bringing back Tommy Cornell to feud with Wolf Hawkins.

I have always been a huge fan of Joss and made him a key player in previous TEW games. But the dude is 39 now (as of August 2020 in the game), and it would take a massive long term deal to lock him down.

Reluctantly, I decided to pass on Joss and focus on my younger talent.

Tommy Cornell, wanted him for a surprise return for the next Total Mayhem. But USPW gave him probably the biggest contract in the game, and let's just say I couldn't give him the terms they offered him anywhere near as much.

I'd just have to wait for Edward's contract to end and be a suitable replacement for Tommy, maybe I can give him a better offer if USPW doesn't end up signing him too, damn you Allen Packer!

TEW 2016 rather than 2020 but I always wanted to do the (now canonical) Rocky Golden vs Jack Bruce dream match but I was always outbid for Rocky by either EILL or USPW

On TEW 2010 and 2013, El Leon was always brought in to be the top man in my TCW All Action/Cruiserweight division but in 2016 and 2020 he's just valued way to high to be brought in for that role.

TEW 2016 rather than 2020 but I always wanted to do the (now canonical) Rocky Golden vs Jack Bruce dream match but I was always outbid for Rocky by either EILL or USPW

On TEW 2010 and 2013, El Leon was always brought in to be the top man in my TCW All Action/Cruiserweight division but in 2016 and 2020 he's just valued way to high to be brought in for that role.

I kinda had the same thought process with El Leon. Wanted to bring him in for my TCW Cruiserweight Division, too (was actually going to split my male roster into 2 weight classes, Heavyweight & Junior Heavyweight).

But yeah, you're right. The price for Leon is massive cause of his popularity in Mexico. Plus now at age 37? It's a difficult decision. I might have gone through with it if it was he willing to become more muscular, but Leon declined.