ECW Not For Long?

News I came across on the web [quote]source: PWDB.com Dave Sherer has reported that a meeting took place before Tuesday's edition of ECW on the Sci-Fi Channel between Vince McMahon, Kevin Dunn and Paul Heyman. Citing disappointment with the reaction at ECW Arena in which fans chanted "This show sucks", low ticket sales (particularly for the July 4'th show in Philadelphia) and a 15% drop off in ratings from week one to week two, Vince McMahon made the decision to put an end to the "ECW Style", including a break from all old ECW characters to be re-written and re-cast in the WWE style. The idea is to turn ECW into a third brand of WWE, with a roster and storylines more in line with that of Raw and Smackdown. Paul Heyman's control of the ECW brand has been reduced to the capacity of "advisor", while Tommy Dreamer has been completely removed from the creative process, and will act only as an on-air character. Heyman had written a script for last night's show, but it was all but thrown out when Vince McMahon disapproved of it's content and had the WWE creative team re-write the show from the ground up. Paul Heyman was also relieved of his backstage duties, as WWE brass took over and ran the show as they ran Smackdown later that night. It is expected that the staff of ECW referees will be given their release as the company moves away from the ECW image and incorporates the brand into the WWE fold. ECW ring announcer Stephen D'angelous has already been terminated by Vince McMahon. Mike Johnson adds in his report that beginning with last night's broadcast, the ECW roster will not be flown in for television tapings, but instead will only call for the appearance of those scheduled to work that particular show. The general opinion backstage is that when ECW finishes it's 12 week scheduled run on the Sci-Fi channel, it may be reduced to an internet program for WWE.com, or done away with altogether. [/quote]

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PWInsider.com also relates this story, it kinda sucks since the Sci-Fi TV has never been let to Paul Heyman, and even more because you can make such decisions after only 3 weeks... Sci-Fi might not be the right channel for this product, but the old ECW fan-base doesn't connect because of the WWE backing anyway. When you tune in Sci-Fi, you know you'll get WWE, and it's exactly what it has been this far. ECW was all about being different from WWF/WCW at the time, and now it is part of it. They have no PPV planned this far, nobody aside from Mike Knox has been brought in as a fresh character, so I believe this ECW thing will be done after the summer... It's just an extension to RAW, giving time for RVD, Edge and Cena push while Raw can focus even more on DX and the McMahons. I hoped it won't be that way, but that's the way it is (and even more in the future if Vince handles booking and creative decisions).

[QUOTE=bobinc]News I came across on the web[/QUOTE] Oh I am a bit disappointed after that. When I read the first lines of that I thought it was some kind of fantasy scenario you were coming up with were Paul Heyman leaves the WWE and gets the rights to ECW and brings it back to life kind of thing.

[QUOTE=XxFutureLegend112xX]Paul needs to just get his release and open or book for another company cause hes never going to have any creative control in WWE.[/QUOTE] Amen, someone give the man a bunch of money and a few years to build a company..pleeeeeeeeeeease!:p

I hope this incarnation doesn't last too much longer. It's painful to watch. I knew things would be different but not to the extent of this. One Night Stand this year was a complete sham and the episodes of ECW I have seen so far are absolute ****. I won't waste an hour of my time watching it anymore and besides Sky Sports have put it from the 10pm slot to 12am slot on Sundays - and 12am Mondays now I come to think of it. I personally hope ECW goes back to being the dead cult promotion that everyone loved as opposed to the crappy WWE brand extension/experiment. The true ECW fans aren't buying into it and never will because it is thinly disguised and most know it is just another WWE show written by WWE writers and involving (Majority) WWE wrestlers. The only thing ECW about it is the initials. I bet "hat guy" agrees with me! :) Personally if I want my ECW fix I'll kick back with a few beers and stick on one of my old ECW DVD's. Of course that is just my opinion and i don't expect everyone to agree as we all have different ideas of what entertains us.

[QUOTE=Fleisch]I hope this incarnation doesn't last too much longer. It's painful to watch. I knew things would be different but not to the extent of this. One Night Stand this year was a complete sham and the episodes of ECW I have seen so far are absolute ****. I won't waste an hour of my time watching it anymore and besides Sky Sports have put it from the 10pm slot to 12am slot on Sundays - and 12am Mondays now I come to think of it. I personally hope ECW goes back to being the dead cult promotion that everyone loved as opposed to the crappy WWE brand extension/experiment. The true ECW fans aren't buying into it and never will because it is thinly disguised and most know it is just another WWE show written by WWE writers and involving (Majority) WWE wrestlers. The only thing ECW about it is the initials. I bet "hat guy" agrees with me! :) Personally if I want my ECW fix I'll kick back with a few beers and stick on one of my old ECW DVD's. Of course that is just my opinion and i don't expect everyone to agree as we all have different ideas of what entertains us.[/QUOTE] Actually in a recent interview, Hat Guy said that he would love to be a part of the "NEW" ECW. I hate it too but some people are just happy to have the company back regardless of how gimmicky or crappy it is.

[QUOTE=toddthebod]Actually in a recent interview, Hat Guy said that he would love to be a part of the "NEW" ECW. I hate it too but some people are just happy to have the company back regardless of how gimmicky or crappy it is.[/QUOTE] I dont like it either, but I'd love to be a part of it.... let the money roll in...

i havent watched it since the first week back, given that Sky have opted to change the time of it aswell, i barely see the point, ill see the last maybe 10 minutes of it before Raws ion in the morning, but thats about it. I liked ECW, always did, but i dont particularly find this to be interesting, Kelly is being used as a 2006 Kimona Wanalaya, good for her, but she doesnt really belong in ECW, no matter how hard Big Show is pushed at us, he'll never be hardcore, that moniker will forever stay with Dreamer, you cant have ECW without bWo, you cant have Vampires and Zombies, and even fricken martians or whetever the zombie was supposed to be orginally in ECW, Sandman shouldn't be reduced to just squashing jobbers, his entrance lasts longer than his match! and Test! now come on, TEST! in ECW? **** off, he doesnt belong, or fit in there. Only thing i'm looking forward to is seeing CM Punk be brought into ECW, but it seems again he'll be overlooked, now that Mike Knox is in :mad: ok, rant over, if this ECW does close (whihc, if RVD and Sabu get released could well happen alot sooner rather than later) then there'll be alot of new mods released with alot of new diaries etc etc, but, i suppose ECW is just going to be like a fad, everyone lieks it, it goes, people miss it, the fanbase circles stops by, it returns, people like it, it goes away etc etc

I like seeing Kelly on tv but the problem I have with her is her segments last longer then any other bit or match on the show. They have a roster over 20 listed plus some unlisted but you only see like 6 a night. and some only at house shows so far.

Kelly does not belong on the show. Like you say Bobinc, she gets more TV time than the rest of the roster! Christ if I wanted to watch scantily clad women girating and stripping off I'll go down to my local Elegance Strip Club! Which reminds me.....

[QUOTE=bobinc]I like seeing Kelly on tv but the problem I have with her is her segments last longer then any other bit or match on the show. They have a roster over 20 listed plus some unlisted but you only see like 6 a night. and some only at house shows so far.[/QUOTE] Yeah, where is CW, Where is Francine..... and others i'm to lazy to remember....

[QUOTE=jerlito]well news everywhere says paul heyman quit and is going to start a new hardcore promotion with the old ecw roster but didn't say what the name of the company is.[/QUOTE] Where does it say that?

well my friends get the info on there computer every week hey they are spoilers i do't know if its true but for real if paul shows up next tuesday then it wasn't true and paul is sucking up to vince paul needs to quit and start his own promotion.

[QUOTE=jerlito]well my friends get the info on there computer every week hey they are spoilers i do't know if its true but for real if paul shows up next tuesday then it wasn't true and paul is sucking up to vince paul needs to quit and start his own promotion.[/QUOTE] Sounds like a fake report seeing as no where else is reporting it.

[QUOTE=jerlito]hey i said they just tell me i don't know if it's true don't get mad at me for the info i got from somebody ok.[/QUOTE] I'm not getting mad bud, just sounds fake is the comment I'm making. Do you not think it sounds suspect?

Archived