WWF/WCW Conspiracy Theory

djskeemask

While watching the best of Nitro DVD, my gf brought up a good point. I know it is most likely not true at all, but... She mentioned in passing that she thought both companies were working together the whole time during the Monday Night Wars. After laughing for a second, my gears started turning. Controversy definitely sells and it benefitted both companies. Most of the early nWo were former WWF stars who were a little past their prime and had their careers get a huge boost with the popularity the nWo rose to. (I do think Scott Hall could have Main Evented for a lot longer in WWF though.) It also forced WWF to make their own stars. Triple H and Steve Austin were good midcarders in WCW, but became WWF's top stars. IMO, WCW had the money and WWF had the writers. With the bloat in both company's rosters, it would make sense to have some kind of trade agreement to benefit the workers getting better chances. Something else, after WWF bought WCW, Eric Bischoff worked for his 'worst enemy'. That always bothered me. It makes no sense that Turner wouldn't offer him some kind of 'new company' opportunity with what he did for WCW. There were more things I thought of that I can't remember at the moment. Curious what any of you think. I know it's a little far-fetched, but could be one of the best kept secrets in the biz! ;)
  • Like 1

While watching the best of Nitro DVD, my gf brought up a good point. I know it is most likely not true at all, but... She mentioned in passing that she thought both companies were working together the whole time during the Monday Night Wars. After laughing for a second, my gears started turning. Controversy definitely sells and it benefitted both companies. Most of the early nWo were former WWF stars who were a little past their prime and had their careers get a huge boost with the popularity the nWo rose to. (I do think Scott Hall could have Main Evented for a lot longer in WWF though.) It also forced WWF to make their own stars. Triple H and Steve Austin were good midcarders in WCW, but became WWF's top stars. IMO, WCW had the money and WWF had the writers. With the bloat in both company's rosters, it would make sense to have some kind of trade agreement to benefit the workers getting better chances. Something else, after WWF bought WCW, Eric Bischoff worked for his 'worst enemy'. That always bothered me. It makes no sense that Turner wouldn't offer him some kind of 'new company' opportunity with what he did for WCW. There were more things I thought of that I can't remember at the moment. Curious what any of you think. I know it's a little far-fetched, but could be one of the best kept secrets in the biz! ;)

Based on his podcast, Eric Bischoff never really hated the WWF, but he knew the rivalry helped TV ratings and sell tickets, so he was more than happy to push that angle. Not so much a conspiracy, and more of it being a bit of a 'work'.

As for Turner offering him a different position, part of what killed WCW was Ted Turner being moved out of direct power, with corporations merging and the like. Turner couldn't save wrestling, so Eric was out of luck there.

So no, I don't see conspiracy. Things just happened. People tried things. Some worked. Some didn't. History turned out the way it did.

Then again, Paul Heyman was apparently on Vince's payroll during ECW, so who really knows?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If they had worked together, somebody would definetly talk about it in the past 25 odd years. But nobody ever brought up that topic to my knowledge, and if there was some type of alliance between the two, the dirt sheets would be all over that.

Also, coordinating such a secret alliance would be a monumental effort, if not impossible. The bidding wars, treatment of WCW after Vince won, WWF being in a really bad place when the war has started... to me, everything indicates that there was no 'conspiracy'.

You can't artificially create a golden era of wrestling, things just clicked.

• 1 month later...
and if there was some type of alliance between the two, the dirt sheets would be all over that.

These wouldn't be the same dirt sheets that said Mable was the third man in the NWO, would it? Sorry I couldn't resist.

I gave up on 83 weeks once conrad admitted that Dave Meltzer was his good friend. Every time he said Meltzer wrote bischoff would say it was total bs 99.9% of the time. As much as I enjoyed the stories I wasn't listening to someone shamefully promote someone I'd never heard of before listening to the podcast.

Because of this I modified an old saying: those who can't teach and no guts to try write about it...

These wouldn't be the same dirt sheets that said Mable was the third man in the NWO, would it? Sorry I couldn't resist.

I gave up on 83 weeks once conrad admitted that Dave Meltzer was his good friend. Every time he said Meltzer wrote bischoff would say it was total bs 99.9% of the time. As much as I enjoyed the stories I wasn't listening to someone shamefully promote someone I'd never heard of before listening to the podcast.

Because of this I modified an old saying: those who can't teach and no guts to try write about it...

People have pushed this Mabel thing as fact when it simply isn't that simple. Meltzer listed his name as a possible option and at one point as a top candidate, while also explicitly and correctly stating that Hulk Hogan was the most likely third man.

If you listened to 83 Weeks (and any wrestling podcast basically ever), you'll know that Conrad quoting Meltzer's bits in the Observer and nearly ALWAYS accurate, because either Bischoff immediately agrees and discusses said quote, or tries to say it's wrong before Conrad provides proof that it was indeed right. I stopped listening when Bischoff continuously refused to admit his wrongdoings and would just straight up lie despite Conrad trying to get him to admit to it. I'm also not sure what you mean by "shamefully promote." Conrad? He's been around for quite a few years now and has countless boring and mundane podcasts with former stars. Meltzer? He's one of a few humans on Earth who has been writing about wrestling weekly for 40 years. Who else would Conrad be able to grab information from to use on the show?

Your hatred for Meltzer and dirtsheets seems overboard. Do the thousands (and I mean thousands) of correct scoops mean nothing because of this? Not to mention every notable journalist in ANY field gets things wrong now and then.

Bischoff lies as easily as he breathes. He's like Cornette, everything good was his idea and everything that went wrong was completely out of his control or the smarks "just didn't get it". Meltzer may be a putz at times but he does have actual journalism skills when he wants to use them.

And I've never cared for that old saying. I was completely talentless in the ring, dropped myself on the back of my neck, briefly KO'd myself on a DDT and even managed to botch a clothesline. By that logic, I should be running my own school based on just how much I "can't".

People have pushed this Mabel thing as fact when it simply isn't that simple. Meltzer listed his name as a possible option and at one point as a top candidate, while also explicitly and correctly stating that Hulk Hogan was the most likely third man.

If you listened to 83 Weeks (and any wrestling podcast basically ever), you'll know that Conrad quoting Meltzer's bits in the Observer and nearly ALWAYS accurate, because either Bischoff immediately agrees and discusses said quote, or tries to say it's wrong before Conrad provides proof that it was indeed right. I stopped listening when Bischoff continuously refused to admit his wrongdoings and would just straight up lie despite Conrad trying to get him to admit to it. I'm also not sure what you mean by "shamefully promote." Conrad? He's been around for quite a few years now and has countless boring and mundane podcasts with former stars. Meltzer? He's one of a few humans on Earth who has been writing about wrestling weekly for 40 years. Who else would Conrad be able to grab information from to use on the show?

Your hatred for Meltzer and dirtsheets seems overboard. Do the thousands (and I mean thousands) of correct scoops mean nothing because of this? Not to mention every notable journalist in ANY field gets things wrong now and then.

I don't hate or hold any ill will toward anyone I've never met. As for my disdain for dirt sheets in and of themselves, I don't care for the I'm better than you because I knew something before it happened attitude it breeds in some people.

What I mean by shamefully promote is I had never heard of Dave Meltzer before listening to 83 weeks, and conrad for the first few episodes repeatedly said he barely knows him, but would defend him to the point of sounding angry when Eric would call him scum. Fast forward several episodes Eric says I know Dave is your good friend so I won't bash him but I'm going to tell you what really happened, and conrad didn't contradict him. So to me I look at it like this, I have a friend who says he has inside information but while talking to someone who was undeniably there, I keep saying well my friend said this, after about the third or fourth time of the guy saying no what happened was x, y and z, i might stop bringingup what my friendsaid happened. I watched wrestling for entertainment and didn't need someone telling me what was going to happen or how good a match was, I was more than capable of knowing what I liked and what I thought was trash. I agree that Eric is not infallible but at least he was there.

Nothing against conrad either clearly his formula works otherwise he wouldn't have multiple long running podcasts. So kudos to him.

As for what else would he ask about? Well contracts and pay were mostly made public after a law suit. He watched and has the ability to re watch the shows, he could ask about things from them, several wrestlers have done unaffiliated ( by that I mean were free of contracts) shoot interviews ( I personally recommend Kevin Nash RF shoot interview ) he could pull questions from those, ratings were and are public info as well.

And I've never cared for that old saying. I was completely talentless in the ring, dropped myself on the back of my neck, briefly KO'd myself on a DDT and even managed to botch a clothesline. By that logic, I should be running my own school based on just how much I "can't".

I didn't mean to offend anyone that was meant totally tongue in cheek. If I really felt that way I would think every author was a spineless schmuck.

• 3 months later...

The more people involved to make a conspiracy work, the more easily it falls apart. I mean, was Russo purposely sabotaging WCW when he got hired? More easily than WWE and WCW working together. But even then, the more likely answer is that he works as someone who provides ideas that may or may not get used, and not so much as the guy who has final say on what ideas to use.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 4/25/2022 at 6:33 AM, djskeemask said:

Reading through this, this does inspire an idea for a diary (that maybe someone could take up) based on a conspiracy theory of my own that I had then regarding the NWO, that being:

What if, despite the denials to the contrary by Nash and Hall, it turned out that the NWO was indeed a WWF invasion into WCW, sent by Vince McMahon to destroy the latter company from within, while Vince himself went out of his way to cover up the extent of his involvement in the NWO invasion by accusing WCW of using the angle to ride on the WWF's coattails and making legal threats against WCW over the use of WWF trademarks and intellectual property (whose use by Nash and Hall secretly had Vince's blessing as part of his plot)?  IMO, I think it'd make for an interesting "What if..." diary storyline built around the matches that happened as part of the angle.

• Thanks 1