Runnin' with the Devil: WWWF 1970 and Beyond

INT. CAPITOL WRESTLING CORP. OFFICE
WWWF.jpg.4a426bfac5f5ee51d7ffea8bf87bee14.jpg
OCTOBER, 1969
MCMAHON SR.
586521109_VinceMcMahonSr..jpg.53572d27a04bf4c275fb0993b4baf500.jpg

I am writing to you in the hopes my pitch is more clear than in our last phone call. I know that things have been turbulent to say the least. Our last few phone calls haven't gone the way I'd hoped. In writing this, I think you'll have a better understanding of my proposal and how it will benefit you long after you hang up the boots. Firstly, to be clear I know that you are not ready to call it quits and nor will I force you to. I still consider you a terrific athlete. Secondly, I believe your ability to promote yourself is simply untapped potential to be a promotor, booker, and good will ambassador for the WWWF. Without getting too sentimental here, I simply want you back in the fold. "Toots" was a shame to lose, and although Arnie and I have done good business together fact is, it could always be better. Regarding your biggest concern, that of working with Champion Bruno Sammartino I assure you any and all booking of the Heavyweight Champion will be done directly by myself. I'd like to give you a lot of freedom in booking the territory itself. I hope to hear from you in the coming days, I'd like it if we could get you in by the start of the new year. I am sure now I have made myself clear to you and strongly believe this would be best for both of us and propel us ahead into the next decade. In closing, I hope you are in good health and look forward to hearing you response... Buddy Rogers.

Signed, Vincent J. McMahon.

NOVEMBER, 1969
ROGERS
1605066782_BuddyRogers1.jpg.57be56d5e0c02a8e2c7252d93b1d0cfc.jpg
Vinny, you know you and I have always been on the level. I am writing back to you as a courtesy. I cannot say I don't have reservations about your offer. One, we need to talk business, what exactly is my cut if I were to come on board? More importantly Vince is there are a lot of your closest friends that aren't going to take too kindly to me walking in and taking the job out from under Skaaland. I have respect for the man no doubt but, I understand business is business and I've often thought this year a new direction in New York could only benefit you. However, I'm not up for the headache that'll come from your top guys taking orders from me Vinny.

Bruno can shove it up his ass if he has an issue with me coming aboard. I'm no fool though, and I know guys like Gino, Kowalski and Bobo are pretty loyal to Arnie, I don't think I can navigate successfully without ruffling their feathers. If you can give me some assurance that the transition will be as smooth as possible, then perhaps that'll make me a little more favorable in accepting this role. Right now, I've got to say I am on the fence and leaning towards a pass on this one unless I am given a bit more stability upon coming into the fold. I expect to hear from you soon Vinny,

Take care, Buddy.

(CONTINUED)
DECEMBER 1969
MCMAHON SR.
Thank you for responding to me Buddy. The issues you brought up from your last correspondence are not to be worried about. Gino and I came to the agreement of bringing you in at the beginning of the fall. Any hiccups you might encounter during your time as booker you bring them directly to me and they will be dealt with firmly. Arnie will always have a place on my team and he has offered to act in an advisory capacity in the early days of your work here until you settle.

Of course, you'd be paid handsomely as part of the team Rogers, my word is my bond. Let's lock this down before the start of the year, any other potential issues will be dealt with in time.

Signed, Vincent J. McMahon.

(CONTINUED)
DECEMBER 1969
SAM MUCHNICK
1847371087_SamMuchnick1.jpg.1a8bb980b02c265a74824c1ebab2a36d.jpg
It has come to my attention Mr. Rogers that you have been given an offer to join the WWWF in a capacity that has puzzled me to say the least. Especially because I thought we had come to an understanding with a few of the NWA associates of mine. We were hoping to bring you down to St. Louis and Minneapolis. It seems McMahon has other strange ideas.  It is no secret Vince seems to building quite an army against the Alliance. I do not wish to add heat to the fire but, I also heard a few disturbing rumors from trusted colleagues. I have been told that you wish to make moves against the Alliance, and not only that, but wish to take Alliance members in the process. I hope these things aren't true Mr. Rogers and I will not consider any action on simple hearsay. However, I write to you today with a simple warning; should any of these rumors be true then I will not hesitate to bring the full weight of the NWA down on you sir.

McMahon is not normally one to break the unwritten code of honor we have but, perhaps you with your fast talking jargon may influence such troubling decisions. Whatever the case, just a friendly reminder that the NWA is a governing body that is hear to stay, no matter what.

Yours Truly,

Sam Muchnick.

(CONTINUED)
JANUARY, 1970
BUDDY ROGERS LETTER SENT TO UNKNOWN RECIPIENT

ROGERS

I can honestly say I didn't believe you when you said I could do this. You asked me what I wanted out of this and after serious thought I have come to a conclusion. I am sick of everybody that has ever double crossed me, or turned their back on me. I'm sick of all of it! The ways of the NWA, Thesz, Bruno, Muchnick all of them. We've been stuck in the old ways for too long. Wrestling is at its best but, the promoters are the ruining the whole damn thing. I want to ruin them all, I want to mess them up and change the game in the process. I like the way you're thinking, you're a damn crazy man and I don't think it stands a chance right now. Perhaps, with me building the foundation, when we're ready... we might just take over the damn world of wrestling. Ready when you are... Kid

pittsburgh-wrestling-program-kowalski_1_02482c33c15fa6a491ffbecd5a815f1c.jpg.eb04ec0a89d3363d4f855803aff7bc51.jpg

(CONTINUED)

• Like 3

THE BUCK STOPS HERE
WRITTEN BY JACK BUCK
130923567_JackBuck1.jpg.d3c8bfc25f198de496dd15c4bcf15476.jpg

1858366296_nature-boy-buddy-rogers(1).thumb.jpg.61dc623c6ea9e083488ac96fb2d66422.jpg

In a shocking turn of events, it seems Vince McMahon has extended the olive branch to "Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers to come on board as Head Booker. It comes as a huge surprise for many reasons but, chief among them has to be the relationship between Rogers and McMahon. A simmering heat lead Rogers to depart the WWWF. What could have caused a change of heart in McMahon? Perhaps, being the first WWWF champion, a big reason that helped McMahon move out on his own. In the process finding success away from the famed National Wrestling Alliance. Or maybe a change in direction, away from the classic booking with his current crew. Arnold Skaaland has been rumored to be head of booking at the moment with others offering advice. However, Buddy was an electric performer both in and out of the ring, making enemies along the way. No matter how you slice it, Buddy was a guy who could draw the big word in pro grappling... MONEY! Boy he could draw lots of it!

Although the offer has been extended and it seems to have been taken up by Rogers, many in the wrestling world are not thrilled with the idea. Getting hold of a few letters of correspondence between NWA members seems to have suggested a growing tension with the grappler. More about the loss of the part time wrestler, rather than the possibility of Rogers lighting up the world as head booker. Some scoff at the idea, others are holding their opinions to see what happens.

McMahon was quoted as saying, "We need a new flavor in wrestling. Capital Wrestling has been looking for new ways to develop and keep fresh. I strongly believe Buddy Rogers is untapped potential in terms of his mind for the business".

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the coming few months. STUDIO WRESTLING has been running old tapes until the first MSG card at the end of this month. McMahon was also questioned about new talent coming into the fold, "We have a few faces old and new expected to come into the territory. They will be featured on the card where possible".

Rumors circulating suggest we can see Nick Bockwinkel, Ray Stevens, and Harley Race out of Missouri. A man with a close relationship to McMahon, Eddie Graham from Florida is set to make an appearance. He has also agreed to bring in a lady wrestler for a potential match up with Woman's champion Moolah down the line. Will Rogers make an appearance himself? We shall see! I will leave you with the Bucks thought; can Buddy's mind for pro grappling truly work both in and out of the ring? Is it possible for simply any wrestler to take hold of one of the strongest wrestling promotions in town?
Time will tell.

Feel free to predict
Friday January Week 4, 1970
WWWF LIVE FROM MSG
Main Event
WWWF Championship
Killer Kowalski vs Bruno Sammartino(c)

WWWF United States Championship
Waldo Von Erich vs Bobo Brazil(c)

WWWF Woman's Championship
Rita Boucher vs The Fabulous Moolah(c)

Undercard
Baron Mikel Scicluna vs Eddie Graham 
Gorilla Monsoon vs Ivan Koloff
Stevens & Bockwinkel (W/ Bobby Heenan) vs DeNucci & Rivera
George Steele vs Cowboy Bob Ellis
John L Sullivan vs (Debuting) Harley Race
Paula Kaye vs (Debuting) Sherri Lee
Buddy Rogers vs Pete Sanchez 
Storylines
How Legends Are Born
Bruno Sammartino vs Killer Kowalski
Bruno has taken on all comers during his historic championship reign. Killer Kowalski an industry veteran looks to be the next challenger who is a legitimate threat.
A Royal Animal
Ernie Ladd vs  George Steele
How is it that George Steele is getting cheers from the crowd? Ernie Ladd takes issue with the Animal, and considers him a gross simpleton. Weeks of insults from Ladd towards the naïve Steele must eventually turn to violence. 
Fight for the USA
Bobo Brazil vs Waldo Von Erich
Champion Bobo Brazil has represented the USA with honor and class during his near year long reign. Waldo Von Erich of course looks to hold the title hostage and the fans won't stand for it.
Battle of the Beasts
Gorilla Monsoon vs Ivan Koloff
Gorilla Monsoon and the man known as the "Russian Bear" are on a collision course with one another. Only one can stand tall, and Koloff will do anything to come out on top.

I just wanted to talk to you guys for a second. Thanks for checking this out, I feel really good about this game and hope you like the story I have in mind. I haven't been on this forum in a very long time but, whenever I take a look at the Dynasties people put up I am blown away. After reading a few books on the subject. (Death of the Territories and The Untold Story of the NWA stranglehold on pro wrestling) I was compelled to play this game. I don't wish to follow history, but I am also not going to go wild! I'll stay close to the 70's wrestling style... no three way ladder matches here! Hope you enjoy the ride.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

WWWF LIVE FROM MSG

Friday Week 4, January 1970

Sold Out Madison Square Garden

Announcers

Bill Cardille and Sam Menacher

860219633_BillCardille1.jpg.c0bb8a8140853be43919b7f396f0a1d5.jpg32984557_SamMenacker1.jpg.34b498f5b0e51c41f508ea49f723b759.jpg

Bill: Hello everyone I am Bill Cardille and welcome to our program presented live on the Madison Square Garden network. We thank you for joining us, we have a terrific program in store. Some 20,000 plus have packed the arena to witness Killer Kowalski challenge for the Heavyweight title against champion Sammartino. We will also have Women's champion The Fabulous Moolah defending, along with the WWWF United States championship match. I am joined alongside Sam Menacher and he will be providing commentary with me as well.

Sam: I am looking forward to the great action and grapplers of the WWWF. It is my privilege to be joining you for the first time here in the Garden.

Boo's echo throughout the arena as Buddy Rogers comes down the aisle.

Bill: We are going to head to action right now it seems as "Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers makes his way to the ring.

Pete Sanchez vs Buddy Rogers

1273301082_PeteSanchez1.jpg.64cd1ced8fdb62a53b14e6ec66efb114.jpg629201560_BuddyRogers1.jpg.aae70312cb7a1ab1ec2fd8a13b4bf7a1.jpg

Buddy Rogers is quick to start his attack on the already in the ring Pete Sanchez. Buddy slaps on a headlock and begins to choke and utilize the close fists cutting Pete slightly above the left eye while the referee desperately tries to maintain some order. Rogers breaks in time to whip Sanchez across the ring and go for a closeline. Pete ducks and lands a solid dropkick to the Nature Boy. Buddy clutches the ropes to steady himself, Pete lands some strikes and the crowd rally behind him. Pete shoots across the ring and returns attempting a running dropkick only for Buddy to slip out the way. Pete becomes entangled in the ropes and his head smashes off the canvas. Buddy struts around the ring as Pete grabs at his ankle. The Nature Boy wastes no time as he slaps on the Figure Four Leglock to secure the win.

Time of the fall 6:04 Winner Buddy Rogers (63)

Buddy Rogers orders from Jack Buck to enter the ring. He does so and Rogers takes the mic.

Buddy: Let it be known that I am as good as I ever was! This is just the first in a long line of victories on my way back to the top! I won't be alone, I have a client, someone I know will be a force in the world of professional wrestling. Soon you'll see him, and we will both conquer the world.

Sam: It seems we have a rejuvenated Buddy Rogers.

Bill: I must believe we are just seeing the beginning of what Buddy has in store for us.

Sam: Who could his client be?

Bill: Time will tell Sam. It is hard to imagine Buddy sharing the spotlight with anybody.

Paula Kaye vs Sherri Lee

1783265026_PaulaKaye1.jpg.6a6f695f4b2fee77755b54fcff7b93f2.jpg941458773_SherriLee1.jpg.d7b5b7acd6942825253a48a24d526a37.jpg

Bill: Next up Sherri Lee debuts for the WWWF in singles action!

Sam: I have covered a lot of her career and I can tell you she is a heck of a gal.

Bill: Her impressive ring skills are sure to be on full display.

Both women begin with solid wrestling. Paula shows she is better of the two on the mat slapping on a headlock with a takeover, trapping the arm. Sherri gets out of it and manages a snap mare and bodyslam that sends Paula out of the ring. Paula argues with the ref, throwing a tantrum about hair pulling which lights up the crowd with jeers towards Kaye. Sherri continues to out wrestle Kaye with classic wrestling. Kaye finally abandons the wrestling and gives a cheap shot to the throat of Sherri. Paula works the back with slams and backbreakers. Kaye heads to the second rope but Lee pulls her off the and Paula lands hard. Sherri Lee picks up Kaye and delivers an airplane spin, with Kay dizzy and staggering to her feet, Sherri bounces off the ropes and lands a crossbody for a quick three count.

Time of the fall 8:13 Winner Sherri Lee (55)

Harley Race vs John L Sullivan

603581704_HarleyRace1.jpg.d8c440a8621e8bd3d193758f4ea2aa75.jpg1944524963_JohnnyValiant1.jpg.2086c021d707855ca6082dec9f2cc518.jpg

In a surprisingly quick match, Harley Race delivers some hard shots early that rock Sullivan. Race picks up Sullivan with a hard bodyslam and then comes down with a headbutt. Sullivan staggers to his feet but before he can react Race takes him and hits the Suplex for the win.

Time of the fall 3:22 Winner Harley Race (60)

Bill: I haven't seen a convincing win like that in quite some time Sam.

Sam: I think it is clear that this newcomer Harley Race is someone we have to keep an eye on.

Bill: The potential of Harley Race might be unlimited.

A brief pause to let the crowd settle. Sullivan is helped from the ring.

Suddenly the raucous New York crowd explode as a figure barrels his way to the ring. Arms flying and leaping towards the guard rail sending fans fleeing with both terror and excitement.

Ring Announcer: Coming to the ring, he stands 6’1, weighing 275lbs... THE ANIMAL, George Steele!

George climbs into the ring and stands before the crowd. Cowboy Bob Ellis comes out to cheers from the audience. As he gets in, George chases him around the ring until Ellis escapes the ring.

Cowboy Bob Ellis vs George Steele

588265282_CowboyBobEllis1.jpg.46a0c32169341d948b926542f448e872.jpg1694856318_GeorgeSteele1.jpg.37f2f89e0a9a9c906dbd569becf34340.jpg

The ref restores some order long enough for Bob to enter and both men begin throwing punches. Rules are nearly thrown out the window as George bites and scratches at Ellis. Bob tries to keep it clean with forearms and take downs. It has little effect on George who keeps the fight on Bob who gets overwhelmed. The Animal sends Bob to the outside and follows him out, tossing him head first into the steel post. George gets into the ring and the ref counts. Ellis wills himself back into the ring at the count of eight. George hammers away on the Cowboy and comes off the ropes with a running elbow drop. 1... 2... kickout! The Animal looks to open up Bob punching and biting the face, referee Dick Kroll pulls Steele off Bob and nearly gets hit in a rage. George continues the attack with a sequence of scoop slams. He runs off the ropes and goes for a big splash but, Bob moves out the way. Cowboy fights back with the flurry of rights and lefts, finally dropping George with a big boot. The Animal gets up only to be knocked down by a series of closelines. Just as George tries to grab an object from his tights, Cowboy takes him down with a back suplex, cover, 1... 2... kickout! George cowers in the corner as Cowboy gestures to the crowd. “The Big Cat” Ernie Ladd appears at the entrance causing Bob Ellis to turn his attention away from George. Ladd makes his way to ringside but Dick Kroll cuts him off. With the refs back turned, George takes the object from his tights and nails Cowboy in the throat and goes for the cover. Dick Kroll turns and makes the count. 1... 2... 3!

Time of the fall 11:20 Winner George Steele (66)

241899850_ErnieLadd1.jpg.9753a377bf77f7c75e12d734af77e177.jpg1694856318_GeorgeSteele1.jpg.37f2f89e0a9a9c906dbd569becf34340.jpg

Ernie Ladd gets into the ring and raises the hand of George. He looks confused as Ladd eats up the boos from the crowd. George pushes Ladd away and the crowd cheers for The Animal. Ladd gestures for him to calm down, George turns his back and gets taken down by Ladd. “The Big Cat” puts the boots to him and leaves the crowd oddly sympathizing with George Steele.

Ring Announcer: The Following contest is the first of our three championship matches. This match is for, the World Wide Wrestling Federation Ladies Championship!

Rita Boucher vs The Fabulous Moolah(c)

1838100291_RitaBoucher1.jpg.cfb86bc1f8b16fbd415e59cfaaa77f89.jpg340801212_TheFabulousMoolah1.jpg.f9fc76a237841ddd50d53c312849fe93.jpg

A lackluster affair as both ladies didn’t work well together. Moolah ate up Rita in the match with snap mare takeovers and forearm shots to the face. Rita tries for a closeline but trips over herself upon impact. Moolah takes a cheap shot and hangs Rita up on the ropes. Moolah hits a running splash and goes for the cover. 1... 2... 3! Moolah continues to stomp on Rita post match, she throws the ref aside before Sherri Lee hits the ring and runs off Moolah!

Time of the fall 6:14 Winner and still champion Fabulous Moolah (46)

A quick interview with new comers Ray Stevens and Nick Bockwinkel. Alongside manager Bobby Heenan.

1678836411_RayStevens1.jpg.8ac1d9a6e8a9cb02757a5511586d2de4.jpg2124281289_NickBockwinkel1.jpg.a36ceb1965d37d9db37f0afa36a529fa.jpg1458003473_BobbyHeenan1.jpg.b4297c184065deeb5a0bad3966e2c8c1.jpg

Bockwinkel: It is no surprise that Mr. Stevens and I have traveled to the so called “big time” of the WWWF. All these simpletons, the neanderthal-like New Yorkers think that their hero's are the best around. Soon they will see that is simply not true. Stevens and I expect to fight the best of the best and there certainly are many incredible athletes here, we’re just a cut above the rest.

Stevens: In time you will see we are the best tag team, the best wrestlers on planet earth. We don’t just have the skills that make us the best, we have the brains, in fact we have THE Brain to back it up.

Heenan: There’s nothing more that I need to say to make you pea-brains understand. Stevens and Bockwinkel are going to show you against these ham and eggers Dominic Dofus and Victor Rivera right now.

DeNucci & Rivera vs Stevens & Bockwinkel w/ Bobby Heenan

1582535944_DominicDeNucci1.jpg.a4937b9af005aced1ebde5df76ee6eb1.jpg846405804_VictorRivera1.jpg.abe37154de8b8c35e944af0d876ff716.jpg             1678836411_RayStevens1.jpg.8ac1d9a6e8a9cb02757a5511586d2de4.jpg2124281289_NickBockwinkel1.jpg.a36ceb1965d37d9db37f0afa36a529fa.jpg

Rivera starts off with Ray Stevens who is able to overpower Rivera early. Stevens looks to attack with an Irish whip to the ropes and follow up with a closeline but Rivera ducks and nails Stevens with a dropkick. Rivera gets off a couple arm drags and another perfectly placed dropkick. Stevens tags out to Bockwinkel. Nick is able to outclass Rivera with wrestling holds, he shoots Rivera across the ring and nails him with a back elbow. Nick gets a quick cover but only a one count. DeNucci tags in and trades holds with Nick. After a few minutes of even grappling, Nick is able to isolate DeNucci in the corner where Stevens chokes him. Double teaming behind the refs back secures the advantage. Stevens tags in and slaps on a bow and arrow lock on DeNucci. He is able to reverse it and sends Stevens into the ropes and a big backdrop. Dominic tags into Rivera who is able to work the arm of Stevens. Rivera manages to transition into a headsissors takeover. A cover, 1... 2... kickout. Rivera tries to run the ropes but Heenan trips him up. A knee to the back by Stevens and Rivera is down. Bockwinkel and Stevens work over Rivera but, he won’t stay down. Bockwinkel goes to the top for a elbow drop but Rivera gets his boot up. Rivera gets the hot tag to DeNucci who is a house of fire. DeNucci with dropkicks, bodyslam and hip tosses stagger both men. Nick Bockwinkel goes flying over the top when DeNucci ducks a closeline. DeNucci and Rivera land a double dropkick to Stevens and the crowd are electric for the cover. 1... 2... Nick breaks up the pin and all four men are in the ring. Heenan climbs to the top and lands a double axhandle to the back of DeNucci. Stevens hits a Piledriver and gets the win.

Time of the fall 13:20 Winners Stevens & Bockwinkel (70)

INTERMISSION

Part Two This Weekend!

Edited by Kman
  • Like 3

WWWF LIVE FROM MSG

Friday Week 4, January 1970

Sold Out Madison Square Garden

Part two

Ivan Koloff w/ Tony Angelo vs Gorilla Monsoon

1829039412_IvanKoloff1.jpg.0c1c87a895dad73761971e5a03d56fc2.jpg995309164_GorillaMonsoon1.jpg.53f36cce4f1ece63b20c2d61a7f82904.jpg

Bill: Coming up next is Gorilla Monsoon versus Ivan Koloff. Now, Monsoon and Koloff have been battling for the past number of months. It has become quite heated and this is the first time the two meet in the Garden.

Sam: These two have had a couple of wars in the Boston Garden to no real conclusion. Neither man can get a win over the other! I expect we shall see a winner tonight one way or another.

Gorilla Monsoon enters first and gets a huge ovation from the fans. Ivan makes his way to the ring with Tony Angelo to a chorus of boos. Gorilla wastes no time striking Tony Angelo. Ivan and Monsoon throw hands and both men tumble to the outside. Referee Dick Woehrle sends Tony to the back and orders the two fighters back into the ring. The bell has yet to sound as the two fight around ringside. Ivan takes control and slaps on a headlock, looking to send Gorilla head first into the steel post. Gorilla shoves off Ivan at the last minute and Ivan goes shoulder first into the steel. Gorilla throws Ivan back in and the mammoth Gorilla stands over Koloff who begs off. The roar of the crowd keeps Gorilla on the attack as the bell finally rings. Gorilla works the arm with a few holds and takes Ivan down applying a key lock. Ivan drives his fingers into the eyes of Monsoon to release the hold. Ivan hammers down on Gorilla, keeping him on the mat. Koloff uses his near three hundred pound frame to lean on and work the neck of Gorilla Monsoon. A rear chin lock nearly secures him a victory as Gorilla begins to fade deep into the match. The arm drops 1... 2... but Gorilla rises and the fans explode. Gorilla fights back with a flurry of rights and lefts. Irish Whip into the corner and a running splash that crushes Ivan Koloff. Cover, 1... 2... Ivan places his foot on the ropes for a break! Gorilla picks him up and sends him into the ropes he ducks for a back bodydrop only to be kicked by Koloff. Gorilla is down! Ivan steps out onto the apron and gestures to the turnbuckle, ready to drop down with his knee drop from the top. Gorilla is able to get to his feet and knock Ivan off the apron to the floor. Ivan now furious takes a steel chair and tosses it in the ring. Both men in the center of the ring trading fists, neither man willing to give and inch, Koloff kicks low as the ref tries to get the chair from the ring. Ivan throws down the ref and takes the chair. He swings wild but misses Gorilla, he knocks down Ivan and grabs the chair. Dick Woehrle tries to plead with Gorilla but not to be as Ivan gets hit in the back with the chair. Ivan goes flying out the ring as the ref calls for the bell.

Ring Announcer: The result of this match a double disqualification!

Gorilla follows Koloff out of the ring and the two men continue to brawl all the way to the back.

Sam: Yet again we do not have a clear winner.

Bill: There is no doubt in my mind that in an even fight Gorilla would have had this match won.

Sam: A double disqualification won’t sit well with the fans but this is far from over ladies and gentlemen.

Time of decision 14:27 Double DQ finish (60)

An interview with Eddie Graham who hypes his match with Baron Mikel Scicluna.

735172842_EddieGraham1.jpg.47469ac056401aa29f0c048a9515a543.jpg

Eddie: I am here for one reason and one reason only, it is a new decade, a fresh start and a new challenge awaits me in the WWWF. I want to be tested to prove that I deserve to be a championship contender. The likes of Bobo Brazil, Bruno Sammartino I have all the respect in the world for, they are incredible champions, I am looking to see if I can match hold for hold with them. The only way to do that is by going through guys like the Baron, a man that has a wealth of experience in the squared circle. Make no mistake though Scicluna I am no fool, I know what you’re all about and if you want to fight dirty, I’ll get down with the best of ‘em!

Baron Mikel Scicluna vs Eddie Graham

858257261_BaronMikelScicluna1.jpg.f82617194202f9a33af494aefa369b56.jpg735172842_EddieGraham1.jpg.47469ac056401aa29f0c048a9515a543.jpg

An exhibition for the two men who play fair in the beginning. Eddie with a slight edge in weight uses it to push Baron off the tie-up. Baron plays to the crowd and gets them in a frenzy behind Graham. Every move Mikel tries is blocked or countered, a shoulder block takes him down and Mikel rushes out of the ring. He spends too much time taunting the crowd and Eddie flips him over the top back into the ring. Eddie keeps the heat on sending him across the ring and a high back bodydrop. Scicluna gets up and swings wildly but misses and turns his back in perfect position for Eddie’s finisher the Atomic Drop. Mikel lands hard and Eddie gets the cover and the easy win.

Time of the fall 8:49 Winner Eddie Graham (58)

Ring Announcer: The following is for the WWWF United States Championship! This match, at the request of champion Bobo Brazil is a no disqualification match!

Bill: Giving up the champions advantage could be a bad move for Bobo.

Sam: Brazil is a fighting champion, a year long title reign, taking the championship from The Sheik, Waldo Von Erich has threatened to cause mayhem should he win tonight.

Bill: Bobo Brazil has been an incredible champion, I just hope he hasn’t fallen into a trap putting his title up in a no disqualification match.

Waldo Von Erich vs Bobo Brazil(c)

432101667_WWWFUnitedStatesHeavyweight.jpg.b24d8a331a04f3018c24ae3f2f2f0eae.jpg

568425510_WaldoVonErich1.jpg.77a532c7f0166180135fdd855efd122e.jpg1137374983_BoboBrazil1.jpg.a98dd305c1e4649d85aa39fda06c0b1f.jpg

The two men stand face to face as the bell rings. Waldo makes the Nazi gesture and Bobo slaps him across the face. The two men lock up and it is a battle of the big boys! Power and pain is the name of the game with both men unable to really move the other. Waldo springs off the ropes with a shoulder tackle that doesn’t move Bobo, Bobo does the same and both men stand jaw-jacking. Waldo flies off the ropes but this time Bobo side steps into a hip toss! Bobo fires up with some juking and jiving rights and lefts that drops the challenger. Waldo backs into the corner but Bobo moves in and chokes Waldo, Dick Kroll can only look on as the crowd screams for more. A scoop slam and elbow drop combo to Waldo and Bobo only gets a one count. Waldo slides out of the ring to regroup. Waldo lures Bobo over to the ropes and pulls his legs out, he smashes Brazil’s leg on the apron. Taking a steel chair, he hits Bobo in the knee and the champ is in trouble. Waldo uses this to attack the leg, snaping it and dropping his weight down while Bobo’s leg rests on the bottom rope. A leglock keeps Brazil prone on the mat but he refuses to give up. Waldo allows Brazil to his knees and hammers down on Bobo’s head busting him open. A well placed boot to the face knocks Bobo down, the crowd scream in horror as Waldo makes an arrogant cover. 1... 2... kickout! Waldo, unfazed by Bobo’s resilience picks him up and a massive bodyslam keeps Brazil down, Waldo steps up to the second rope and comes down with a fist drop. Cover again, 1... 2... kickout! The crowd chant Brazil, Brazil! He reaches his hand out to the audience for support, “Lets go Bobo, lets go Bobo”! Waldo plants his knee in the back and wrenches on the head, Bobo rallies to his feet and drives his elbow into the gut of Von Erich. Bobo makes a comeback and a back suplex by Bobo keeps both men down. Dick Kroll counts both men, Bobo gets to his feet first, Waldo uses the ropes to get up. Brazil takes Waldo by the head, a Headbutt, another, and a third! Von Erich is out on his feet but Bobo holds him up, he gestures for the Cocobutt! He leaps into the air and hits it but Waldo drops out of the ring to the floor. Bobo struggles to get Waldo back into the ring, he finally manages it but Waldo has recovered, he crawls to the corner and pulls from his tights an object. Concealed in his hand Bobo picks up Waldo and looks to land a Cocobutt again, he leaps but Waldo catches him with an uppercut. Bobo falls back out cold. Von Erich places the object back in his tights and Dick Kroll sees it. Von Erich makes the cover and the ref has no choice, 1... 2... 3!

Ring Announcer: Ladies and gentlemen your winner and NEW United States champion... Waldo Von Erich!

Von Erich snatches the title from Dick Kroll and holds it high above his head. Trash is thrown at the new champion who exits the ring soaking in the hate from the crowd. Brazil struggles to his feet and screams to the crowd this is not over.

Time of the fall 15:30 Winner and New WWWF United States Champion Waldo Von Erich (69)

Ring Announcer: It is now time... for our MAIN EVENT! This match is one fall with a one hour time limit. It is for the World Wide Wrestling Federation Championship!

Killer Kowalski vs Bruno Sammartino(c) w/ Arnold Skaaland

504623020_WWWFWorldHeavyweight1.jpg.f92be016e668ee9446b6fde3bca6c3c2.jpg

1817167481_KillerKowalski1.jpg.10f96f9294fe5e40fd70e96fe6ec70dc.jpg652776895_BrunoSammartino1.jpg.60c00b00b85533ca44390c949bdc86d4.jpg

Bruno Sammartino comes out first and lights up the audience. Kowalski is nowhere to be found. Sammartino takes the mic from the ring announcer and looks towards the entrance way.

Bruno: I know he is back there hiding, these people have come here to see me fight, get out here Kowalski!

A few moments more pass and here comes Kowalski. The killer gets in the ring and wastes little time, he takes Bruno to the corner and drives his knee into the ribs of the champion. Bruno fires back hard fists and forearms send Kowalski back. Bruno shoots off the ropes and lands a running forearm that knocks down Kowalski. Bruno tries for another running attack but Kowalski side steps and sends Bruno to the outside. Kowalski throws him back in ring and comes down from the top with a knee drop. Cover, 1... 2... kickout. Kowalski puts the boots to the back of Bruno, he drives his knee down as well. He picks up the champion and delivers a backbreaker. Kowalski maintains control of the backbreaker stretching him over his knee. Bruno refuses to give up so Kowalski lets go. Killer Kowalski applies the claw hold to the ribs of Bruno really working the midsection. Bruno punches his way out and gets to his feet, he picks up Kowalski for a bodyslam but his back gives away and Kowalski lands on Bruno 1... 2... kickout!

Bill: The game plan of Kowalski is working out well so far, Bruno is hurting and his power is fading fast!

Sam: He is going to have to switch up his tactics is Bruno if he wants to retain his belt.

Kowalski claws at the back of Bruno and keeps the hurt on him. Bruno keeps going to power moves but is constantly let down by his back trouble. Kowalski is able to land a bodyslam and gets a cover 1... 2... kickout! Kowalski scales the top again and comes down with the knee but Bruno is able to move. The champion gets to his feet and so does Kowalski, he looks for an axhandle but is caught in a drop toehold. The Killer’s face smashes off the middle turnbuckle and he is down. Bruno has a moment to recover, he picks up Kowalski and sends him to the ropes on the rebound Bruno hits a knee to the face. Cover, 1...2... kickout! Both men back up, Bruno locks in the Bearhug! He can’t lift Kowalski off his feet but, has a strong grip on the challenger. After a moment in the submission, Kowalski goes to the eyes and an uppercut to the throat to send the champion down. Kowalski runs the ropes but gets caught by Bruno with a back drop! Bruno collapses clutching his back. Kowalski gets up and hammers away on Bruno, Sammartino can finally take no more, he gets to his feet, fighting through the pain and fires back with right hands. Bruno is able to pick Kowalski up and slam the big man! The crowd erupt at the sight and will Bruno to his feet again. Bruno signals for a over the shoulder backbreaker. Sammartino just about manages to lift Kowalski up when...

1117772949_FreddieBlassie1.jpg.4ef3dd0f65fe88c7d948f1f1a4bd2fa5.jpg

FREDDIE BLASSIE hits the ring. He attacks Bruno from behind and the ref calls for the bell. Kowalski and Blassie beatdown Bruno and throw the ref from the ring.

Sam: What on earth is Freddie Blassie doing here?

Bill: He has costed Sammartino the win here by submission. Sammartino had this match won.

Sam: What is he doing with Kowalski, somebody needs to stop this!

Arnold Skaaland steps into the ring and pushes Blassie back, Kowalski tries to sneak up behind Skaaland but Bruno gets up and chases off the two men.

Bill: Is this why Kowalski didn’t show up for the match early on? Was he plotting with Blassie?

Sam: So many questions but, I doubt we’re gonna get any answers tonight.

Bill: Whatever the case, Bruno will retain by disqualification here tonight.

Time of the fall 19:20 Winner by DQ Bruno Sammartino retains (82)

The show comes to a close with Bruno holding up the title and calling for Killer Kowalski and Freddie Blassie to return to the ring.

Final Show Grade 78

Final Thoughts: The first show can be considered a success. Moolah and Rita have bad chemistry so they will probably not be meeting again anytime soon. Bobo Brazil gave a very poor performance against Waldo, a 48 to Waldo’s 73. Bruno, Bockwinkel and Stevens all had great showings on the mic and in ring with above 80 performances in ring. Cowboy Bob Ellis was unhappy with losing to George Steele but, George is on to bigger things and had a good babyface turn. I hope to establish him as a top three babyface alongside Gorilla and Bobo Brazil. Bruno of course being in a class all his own being my only major star. Blassie got a very good rating for his old school heel gimmick and pairing him with Kowalski will help the promo skills. Overall a strong start to the year!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After a nice vacation this diary returns! I look to get us filled in with the world. I have two episodes of Studio Wrestling before the next show which is a WWWF House Show!

Faces in BLUE Heels in RED

WWWF LIVE WRESTLING

Live from the Philadelphia Civic Center 

Tuesday, Week 2, February 1970

Predictions Key

Main Event 

WWWF Championship

388109513_WWWFWorldHeavyweight1.jpg.49eeeadc3db6b3ede32b3ca793aab25d.jpg

The Sheik vs Bruno Sammartino(c)

1994287157_WWWFUnitedStatesHeavyweight.jpg.4a0381d650c5bfdef15e24a8c9929273.jpg

Bobo Brazil vs Waldo Von Erich(c)

WWWF Junior Heavyweight Championship

1480397224_WWWFWorldJuniorHeavyweight.jpg.68924cf30b8496aef7ca66c118aeb09d.jpg

Johnny DeFazio(c) vs Baron Mikel Scicluna

Attractions

Killer Kowalski vs Gorilla Monsoon

Eddie Graham vs Buddy Rogers

Billy Graham vs Argentina Rocca

Undercard

Dick Brower vs Frank Holtz

"The Russian Bear" Ivan Koloff & "Krusher" Kovacs vs Dominic DeNucci & Victor Rivera

Cowboy Bradley & Little Beaver vs Sky Low Low & Little Brutus

• Like 2

Main Event 

WWWF Championship

Attractions

Undercard

"The Russian Bear" Ivan Koloff & "Krusher" Kovacs vs Dominic DeNucci & Victor Rivera

Main Event

WWWF Championship

The Sheik vs Bruno Sammartino (c)

Bobo Brazil vs Waldo Von Erich (c)

Johnny DeFazio (c) vs Baron Mikel Scicluna

Attractions

Killer Kowalski vs Gorilla Monsoon

Eddie Graham vs Buddy Rogers

Billy Graham vs Argentina Rocca

Undercard

Dick Brower vs Frank Holtz

"The Russian Bear" Ivan Koloff & "Krusher" Kovacs vs Dominic DeNucci & Victor Rivera

Cowboy Bradley & Little Beaver vs Sky Low Low & Little Brutus

The Sheik vs Bruno Sammartino (c)

Bobo Brazil vs Waldo Von Erich (c)

Johnny DeFazio (c) vs Baron Mikel Scicluna

Attractions

Killer Kowalski vs Gorilla Monsoon

Eddie Graham vs Buddy Rogers

Billy Graham vs Argentina Rocca

Undercard

Dick Brower vs Frank Holtz

"The Russian Bear" Ivan Koloff & "Krusher" Kovacs vs Dominic DeNucci & Victor Rivera

Cowboy Bradley & Little Beaver vs Sky Low Low & Little Brutus

Edited by The Blonde Bomber

WWWF Championship - The Sheik vs Bruno Sammartino (c)

WWWF United States Championship - Bobo Brazil vs Waldo Von Erich (c)

WWWF Junior Heavyweight Championship - Johnny DeFazio (c) vs Baron Mikel Scicluna

Killer Kowalski vs Gorilla Monsoon

Eddie Graham vs Buddy Rogers

Billy Graham vs Argentina Rocca

Dick Brower vs Frank Holtz

"The Russian Bear" Ivan Koloff & "Krusher" Kovacs vs Dominic DeNucci & Victor Rivera

Cowboy Bradley & Little Beaver vs Sky Low Low & Little Brutus

WWWF LIVE WRESTLING

Live from the Philadelphia Civic Center 

Tuesday, Week 2, February 1970

Predictions Key

Main Event 

WWWF Championship

Attractions

Undercard

WWWF Studio Wrestling 
January Week 4, 1970 
The Queens Albanian Club
Highlights

Bruno Sammartino is interviewed about his victory over Killer Kowalski. He also addresses the involvement of Freddie Blassie.

1110855174_BrunoSammartino1.jpg.afd6c3a6f9b1dcdd824c2a5f09e340f6.jpg
"I will not stand out here and lie to the good people, there is unfinished business between myself and Killer Kowalski. The facts remain the same, I am still the World Champion, I am still a fighting champion and will take on anyone the WWWF want to throw at me. I have proven that during my time as champion. The only thing I have a problem with, the only thing that drives me crazy is Freddie Blassie! Mr. Blassie, I am no fan of yours, I'll tell you one thing you made a huge mistake getting involved in that match. Whatever deal Kowalski has made with you, you will regret it! I will see you down the road and when I do, there will be no running, no attacking from behind, you'll get what's coming to you."(87)

770801271_ToniRose1.jpg.f57a222bb5f7798d0953575221ee38f3.jpg203557109_DonnaChristanello1.jpg.7e444e0762a30143cdac1d1e0b8c385b.jpg                    1780833517_BettyBoucher1.jpg.46ac1ece7f5ed864aae2539e63826879.jpg383969433_RitaBoucher1.jpg.81add7fdf593373a35ac695e8a920a71.jpg
Toni Rose & Donna Christianello defeat The Boucher Sisters for the WWWF Women's Tag Team Titles 
Time of the fall 9:48 by Pinfall after distraction from The Fabulous Moolah. (44)

1697865377_JohnnyDeFazio1.jpg.740b9dfc4459c6ec1809134922713f50.jpg            1896981433_ErnieLadd1.jpg.fb6ac2986aedeefe70b929952e08bc92.jpg
Ernie Ladd defeats Johnny DeFazio when Ladd uses a foreign object to the throat and DeFazio falls outside the ring. 
Time of the fall 6:04 by Countout (57)

Ernie Ladd orders Bill Cardille into the ring for an interview.
"Everyone shut up! You can get that little pipsqueak out of here, he shouldn't be even breathing my air! None of you respect me, I AM ROYALTY! I am the greatest if you like it or not! I told you about that George Steele, I told you he was a fool, he was an idiot! He is nothing but and ugly, dumb, fat-" 

807089017_GeorgeSteele1.jpg.cef7b2b39529e85dbe08205dced0a640.jpg
The audience explodes as George Steele charges the ring. He nails Ernie Ladd in the back and he goes tumbling over the top rope. Ladd is taunted by the studio audience to get in the ring but Ladd runs off. (61)

1565943314_NickBockwinkel1.jpg.03f8f6b2ccbb46d2a00bbed2a7ae4889.jpg158292690_RayStevens1.jpg.f1d239a3e368f87bd1309d916db3310b.jpg              331638355_JohnnyValiant1.jpg.9f7e87671f8f29744cc71dbce2b2b683.jpg
Nick Bockwinkel and Ray Stevens have a exhibition match where they defeat John L. Sullivan & Joe Crugnale
Time of the fall 5:14 by Pinfall (67)

534288387_BillyGraham1.jpg.64bdf23470514485d47de0db852b9254.jpg
Billy Graham makes his debut with a interview. Bill Cardille tries to interview Graham but who only poses and flexes his muscles. Enter The Grand Wizard! 

1454341906_AbdullahFarouk1.jpg.abc67aa651db96fc6a706925da687468.jpg
"You will not speak to Billy Graham, you will not ask him any questions, you will simply stare in awe at the spectacular body of Billy Graham. Eat your heart out as he shows you what true perfection looks like. Anything you have to say to him, you will direct them through me! The next big star of pro wrestling will be in Philadelphia and will show the world how remarkable he really is."
Billy Graham flexes his bicep in front of Bill covering his face as we cut to commercial break. (41)

Video of United States Title Match from Hershey Sports Arena 

WWWF UNITED STATES TITLE MATCH

1311528169_WWWFUnitedStatesHeavyweight.jpg.e1ccf65e161888a9c14a1f76942f03ca.jpg

334142106_ArgentinaRocca1.jpg.6699dd35615c31b1f2915c300e7b8860.jpg             1335961134_WaldoVonErich1.jpg.d097935a0e0696add0f30712267e2ea8.jpg
Argentina Rocca vs Waldo Von Erich(c)
Argentina Rocca looks to have the match won when Waldo drops out of the way of a flying crossbody. Rocca flies out of the ring through the ropes to the floor. He holds his head but fights back in at the count of 9. As he does Waldo is right there with the Claw! The ref checks on Rocca who refuses to quit but blood runs down his face and the referee calls for the bell. 
Time of the fall 12:13 by Stoppage
Bobo Brazil wastes no time making his way to the ring and cause Waldo to retreat.

Show Grade 73

Predictions Key

Main Event 

WWWF Championship

Attractions

Undercard

Hello all! 

Just a quick update, I'll be uploading the House Show along with a quick recap of Studio wrestling as well this weekend. I'm gonna play with the format and see how people like it. I'll be keeping score on the predictions as well, thank you to all who have predicted so far. But first, I gotta podcast! Alright... I'll do a cheap plug! If anybody is interested in listening to a new podcast feel free to give this a try.

https://open.spotify.com/show/4ZadOGqOip27U5hthZxKTx?si=f9b036d9465b430b

• Like 1