Moving away from eLicense and a FAQ for moving forward

I wanted to write a quick note to our community that we have decided to start moving away from eLicense as a company. We wanted to find a solution that will help us continue to grow sales and our user base - while also provide users with a much better experience.

With this in mind, we have decided to go to FastSpring and QLM licensing. This combination offers you guys an easy way to activate and deactivate your license, as well as allow us a much better e-commerce system. With that in mind, here is a FAQ for you guys:

1. Wait, I own a game with an eLicense, will it no longer be supported?

A - All eLicense purchases will be supported an honored. If you bought TEW or another game via eLicense, nothing will change for you. You can re-download any older Grey Dog game here: https://greydogsoftware.com/archived-games/

2. When you say it will be easier to license, what do you mean?

A - We now have an online server where users can look up their licenses by email, activate or deactivate existing licenses and even email themselves old purchases. You can access this form here: https://qlm3.net/greydogsoftware/QlmCustomerSite/(S(p33jk3lhwckwqus0rh4acbg3))/default.aspx

image.png

3. How will licensing work once I buy the game?

A - You will get an email with your license key once you purchase the game. When you complete the game install and start the game, you will be prompted with a license wizard like this. Activate your key after the first install and the game will run until deactivated on that PC:
image.png

4. What if I want to move the game to a different PC?

A - You simply have to deactivate it using the wizard on the current PC and activate it on the new PC. But, bear in mind, the game will stop functioning on your PC if you deactivate it. You can always activate it back on that PC later provided the license key isn't in use somewhere else.

5. What if my hard drive dies and I need to install it on a new PC? That process is a pain under eLicense.

A - Just use the above online form to deactivate a current license - even if you don't have access to that PC. This will prevent the game from running on your old PC, though, until you activate it there again.

6. How many games will be using FastSpring going forward?

A - All new games will be created using the new FastSpring system. We will also move over some of the more popular existing games to FastSpring as well over the next few weeks/months. We currently have CBU, TEW2020, WMMA5 & BBCF on the new system.

• Like 7

I personally had few issues with elicence, but only because your guy was very responsive when things went wrong on the user's end (forgot to unlicense, computer wiped, etc.). If both examples would've occured in one week time, I would've been screwed out of my game for half a year, which for sure would've pissed me off. Thank God that didn't happen. :p

The process is indeed a bit cumbersome if you're not used to it (I've done it close to 100 times I reckon).

I also notice that fans of WMMA series on Steam - even the ones who really like the game - blatently refuse to use it, either out of principle or out of fear it would be troublesome.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Arlie Rahn said:

There's not an easy way. Reducing Bowl Bound to $15 and TEW/WMMA to $24.95 for Black Friday is the best way we can setup fans to get an extra license using the new method. But, as we stated before, we will still support prior elicense purchases!

Ah, okay I see.

5 hours ago, jgkavanaugh said:

Hi, I purchased TEW2020 back in 2020 using elicense. Recently I had to replace my hard drive and reinstall. I have no activation key and I get told my e-mail address isn't recognized. Is there a solution for this?

You need to contact Scott@greydogsoftware.com with your name, email address and preferably the last four digits of the card used to make the purchase.

Please note that the tech support forum is further down the board and is the place to check when you have issues like this.

This is a really great change for GDS. eLicense never gave me problems and you guys have always been great at clearing up any issues that do arise. But I am always in favor of customer self-service options and it looks like this is exactly that. Won't lie... bummed that the current eLicense keys won't transfer to the new system. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I guess, this was answered already somewhere but I'm not able to find it: How do I get the games I already bought on another computer, without buying them again? My PC died on me with all the games on it's harddrive and I now want to play them on another computer, but when I go over the Shop I can only buy them, of course.

2 minutes ago, LostInWeb said:

I guess, this was answered already somewhere but I'm not able to find it: How do I get the games I already bought on another computer, without buying them again? My PC died on me with all the games on it's harddrive and I now want to play them on another computer, but when I go over the Shop I can only buy them, of course.

You e-mail Scott. It's covered in the Licensing FAQ pinned to the top of every technical support forum.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

So, with the old license system if I want to install an already bought game I have to download the elicense-version. But what is with games I bought with the new license? Like CBU? There is no elicense-download available. What do I download, to play it on another PC?

1 hour ago, LostInWeb said:

But wouldn't I have to buy the game again then?

No. You can download the installer as often as you want and move the license between them as long as it's only active on one machine at a time. As mentioned above, it's exactly the same process as it's always been.

2 minutes ago, Adam Ryland said:

No. You can download the installer as often as you want and move the license between them as long as it's only active on one machine at a time. As mentioned above, it's exactly the same process as it's always been.

Oh, okay. But what Download-Link do I have to use to get the installer? Where do I find it? On the website I only see the Buy button and Demo.