Finally a half decent ECW show

Nevermore

Ok, it wasn't a mind blowing show but: [B]Sabu vs. Roadkill was awesome! So was RVD vs. Angle. Sandman got a half decent pop for the first time (but the angles they're putting him in are pretty dumb). I distinctly heard an ECW chant albeit quiet (about F'n time!)[/B] Conversely: [B]Stop jobbing Dreamer. Yes he's the best seller the world has ever known but come on - he was huge in ECW. Stop the dumbass Sandman angles Why give weekly exposure to this random Kelly chick when there are far superior ECW women to choose from *Cough* Francine, Jazz, Beulah *Cough* [SIZE="3"]When in the name of god will Raw guys stop showing up? The 2001 Invasion angle sucked and no one will be able to recreate the popularity of the original nWo. Just give ECW its own airtime![/SIZE][/B] However, ranting aside, the show was a step in the right direction methinks. Quote The Raven Nevermore

Was really into the Angle / RVD match up and it didn't need Edge showing up to improve the night - at least they didn't have Cena run in as well! The problem with the Dreamer situation is that they need to make Big Show into a dominating character, trying to undo years worth of neglect by the WWE. Realistically I don't think Dreamer wants to continue performing in ring that much and I think they're gonna use Show to end his in ring career but they need Dreamer at the moment to keep the ECW feel. Please God stop putting Sandman into such stupid angles - its not big, its not clever, its just plain painfall watching some fat bloke strip. Gotta say it is much better now than when it first began and its actually starting to find its feet.

[QUOTE=KaySeeDubya]Somewhat, but I heard that Vince now has total control of ECW and is thinking of scrapping the ECW feel and the extreme rules style.[/QUOTE] Oh god! This just begs the question why call it ECW?!? If that's true, it's a slap in the face to any fan of the old ECW. Frankly, I feel insulted! Then again, I guess I should expect nothing else from Vince. How must Paul E. feel - watching his vision, his dream sh*t all over? Quote The Raven Nevermore

[QUOTE=Nevermore]Oh god! This just begs the question why call it ECW?!? If that's true, it's a slap in the face to any fan of the old ECW. Frankly, I feel insulted! Then again, I guess I should expect nothing else from Vince. How must Paul E. feel - watching his vision, his dream sh*t all over? Quote The Raven Nevermore[/QUOTE] Honestly, why should Paul care? He knows that the real ECW fans know this is not ECW, he's getting paid and so is the ECW guys...thats mroe than they could say before, lol. Lets just be glad our boys are getting paid.

[QUOTE=Nevermore]Why give weekly exposure to this random Kelly chick when there are far superior ECW women to choose from *Cough* Francine, Jazz, Beulah *Cough*[/QUOTE] I would agree, though not with two of the three you listed. I think a Jazz-Trinity feud would go over very well, personally. But Jazz isn't T&A material (god no!) and Trinity is probably more than a little intimidating to the intended audience. It's a lot easier to have empty-headed bimbos parade around in next to nothing and get that "SCHWING!" reaction to attract the younger male viewer. [QUOTE=Nevermore][SIZE="3"][B]When in the name of god will Raw guys stop showing up? The 2001 Invasion angle sucked and no one will be able to recreate the popularity of the original nWo. Just give ECW its own airtime![/SIZE][/B][/QUOTE] ECW is a baby. Do you toss your children out of the house the moment they're born? WWE has to do whatever it can to help ECW get a permanent TV slot (from what I understand, the Sci-fi thing is on a trial basis or something). In order to do that, they have to bring ratings in abundance to justify their continued existence. No one worthy of note is going to tune in to watch Sandman and Tommy Dreamer. Note when I say 'no one', I mean no one of any significant number. Doing ECW on TNN numbers now would hasten the demise of the brand since no one's gonna want to carry it for those abysmal numbers. Say what you want about TNN not promoting it or what-have-you but the fact remains, WWE gets ratings. Thus, it's good business (and common sense) to try to use that drawing power to help boost "the baby". I'd say expect the RAW/SD! crossovers to continue through the summer or at least until fall schedules are announced. RAW is the premier brand of WWE and no one cares about Smackdown! outside of maybe Batista and Rey (Lashley has potential and Kennedy can rock the mike but they're not proven stars yet), so of course you're going to see lots of RAW workers on ECW and will continue to see that. Personally, I'd like to see ECW thrive on its own. Maybe turn it into an alternative to Smackdown, which is essentially the B show. I look at it like a baseball organization. RAW is the major leagues, Smackdown is Triple A, OVW/DSW are Double A. I hope they make ECW into another major league level. But it's going to take time before they're able to do that. And for the love of all that is holy, get them the hell off Sci-Fi, jeez. Put 'em on FUSE or talk to Rupert Murdoch and get them on FX. Sci-Fi is where the folks with tinfoil hats congregate. What I don't get is why they're even THINKING of putting Sabu on Saturday Night's Main Event. He's gonna be handcuffed like Richard Ramirez at a court hearing. :(

[QUOTE]Say what you want about TNN not promoting it or what-have-you but the fact remains, WWE gets ratings. [/QUOTE] Yeah, ECW got ratings without promotion and while paying TNN also. ECW was TNN's highest rated show ever at the time of ECW airing. I'd say that's getting ratings.

[B][QUOTE][B]Maybe turn it into an alternative to Smackdown, which is essentially the B show[/B][/QUOTE][/B] I think Smackdown's actually getting a hell of a lot better. Lashley and Booker are really turning in some great match ups. There's still a lot the brand can do to improve (stop losing stars to raw for one thing) but the likes of Henry are starting to get really over now. I like the way they're giving younger guys a chance to make a name for themselves now. One thing I'd love to see is smackdown improve the tag team situation (please get the Hardyz back Vince!) Personally I think RAW is the brand in dire need considering that they have a lot of really stale people there.

[QUOTE=weirdo_man]Yeah, ECW got ratings without promotion and while paying TNN also. ECW was TNN's highest rated show ever at the time of ECW airing. I'd say that's getting ratings.[/QUOTE] Lemme ask you a question. How many times has USA had to be rebranded? Now, how many times has TNN had to be rebranded? 0 to 3 (The Nashville Network to The National Network to Spike TV). Getting "good" ratings on a tiny network doesn't count for much IMO. And it sure doesn't make you equal to a brand who can do top ratings on ANY network. It's an economy of scale. Even now, check to see how The Ultimate Fighter fares against the Law & Order reruns that USA usually runs in that timeslot. Like I said, I like ECW. And unlike many people who might say that nowadays, I've actually attended several of their shows, years ago. I realize they won't be able to do now all the things that set them apart before. But if hanging on to the WWE teat for a while will help ensure their continued and ongoing survival, I'm okay with that. And I'd be willing to bet that this ECW is bringing so much residual viewership to Sci-Fi that they're gonna be hard pressed NOT to do exactly what Vinnie Mac and Paul Heyman want.

I would say that pulling a .9 on average each week with the complete lack of advertising is pretty impressive for the ****ty Friday night timeslot that they had. And TNN has been rebranded, which probably means that several people have made a lot of money selling the network. If you could turn a profit of a million dollars for your last year's work, wouldn't you? And the rebrands obviously worked pretty well, because I don't know a single person that doesn't love MXC.

Archived