King of Kings Tourney 1983

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's cool. But did someone end up getting unjustly left out of the second-chance tourney? Funk took up a spot in there. I'm going to have to call the legitimacy of the whole competition into question now! Alright, just kidding. Seriously,how did we miss that? You typed his name out a bunch of times on the qualified list near the top and even seeded him in the main tournament!

[CENTER][U]THE KING OF KINGS TOURNAMENT FINAL SEEDINGS[/U][/CENTER] [B]Europe[/B] #1 Stan Hansen VS #16 Bobby Barnes #8 Boris Zhukov VS #9 Riki Chosyu #6 Manny Fernandez VS #11 Bob Orton Jr #4 Big Daddy VS #13 Mal Sanders #3 Marty Jones VS #14 Tony Atlas #5 Lizmark VS #12 Ted Dibiase #7 Dusty Rhodes VS #10 Butch Reed #2 Tommy Rich VS #15 Loch Ness Monster [B]North America South[/B] #1 David Von Erich VS #16 Jake Roberts #8 Jerry Oates VS #9 Ric Flair #6 Dos Caras VS #11 Les Thorton #4 Austin Idol VS #13 The Great Kabuki #3 El Satanico VS #14 Magnum TA #5 Mil Mascaras VS #12 Jerry Lawler #7 Bob Armstrong VS #10 Wahoo McDaniel #2 Jack Brisco VS #15 Michael Hayes [B]North America North[/B] #1 Andre the Giant VS #16 Greg Gagne #8 Master Sgt. Tomko VS #9 Bob Backlund #6 Jacques Rougeau VS #11 Don Muraco #4 Mr. Hito VS #13 Roddy Piper #3 The Purple Haze VS #14 Rick Martel #5 Rocky Johnson VS #12 Mando Guerrero #7 Ivan Koloff VS #10 Hulk Hogan #2 Billy Robinson VS #15 Angelo Mosca [B]Far East [/B] #1 Antonio Inoki VS #16 Road Warrior Animal #8 Pierre Lefabvre VS #9 Harley Race #6 Rip Oliver VS #11 Terry Funk #4 Nick Bockwinkel VS #13 Maya Singh #3 Junkyard Dog VS #14 Tatsumi Fujinami #5 Giant Baba VS #12 Masa Saito #7 Kazuo Yamazaki VS #10 Terry Gordy #2 Bruiser Brody VS #15 Jumbo Tsuruta

I'll start some first round matchups tonight if possible. First, let me explain my seedings and how I done them. I "tried" to put wrestlers in regions they'd be more likely to wrestle in. How I picked the seeds though is I looked over the roster and picked out the 4 #1 seeds, then the 4 #2 seeds, the 4 #3 seeds, all the way down the line. THEN I saw who I had seeded the 1's for example and looked at the regions. So, I throw Inoki into the Far East region as it was a tossup between he and Hansen. I figured Inoki was more popular over the big pond so I made him the rep for the Far East. I then looked at the remaining three and put Andre in the North since that's the WWF's territory and Von Erich in the South since that's close to the WCCW territory. Hansen got what was left - Europe. I done that all the way down the line sometimes picking the Europe rep first to try to strengthen the region a bit. I can look over the regions and see that, to me, the Far East and North America South are the two strongest but I did attempt to make this as realistic as possible. Should be some great matchups and I hope the tournament comes out well.

King of Kings Round 1 Results Europe [B]#1 Stan Hansen [/B]VS #16 Bobby Barnes - 14:40 C Slingshot Brainbuster #8 Boris Zhukov VS [B]#9 Riki Chosyu[/B] - 12:10 D Powerbomb [B]#6 Manny Fernandez[/B] VS #11 Bob Orton Jr - 24:50 B+ Late Inning Rolling Reverse #4 Big Daddy VS [B]#13 Mal Sanders[/B] - 20:50 C+ Step Over Leg Lock [B]#3 Marty Jones[/B] VS #14 Tony Atlas - 24:10 C- Late Inning Small Package #5 Lizmark VS [B]#12 Ted Dibiase[/B] - 23:10 C Million $ Dream [B]#7 Dusty Rhodes[/B] VS #10 Butch Reed - 28:10 B+ Weaver Lock #2 Tommy Rich VS [B]#15 Loch Ness Monster[/B] - 22:30 A Giant Samoan Drop North America South [B]#1 David Von Erich[/B] VS #16 Jake Roberts - 20:10 C- Chest Claw #8 Jerry Oates VS [B]#9 Ric Flair[/B] - 23:00 B- Figure Four [B]#6 Dos Caras[/B] VS #11 Les Thorton - 17:10 E Grounded Octupus Stretch [B]#4 Austin Idol[/B] VS #13 The Great Kabuki - 26:30 A* Brass Knuckles [B]#3 El Satanico[/B] VS #14 Magnum TA - 23:50 C Fisherman's Buster #5 Mil Mascaras VS [B]#12 Jerry Lawler[/B] - 30:00 A* Lawler Piledriver #7 Bob Armstrong VS [B]#10 Wahoo McDaniel[/B] - 22:20 B+ Chocktaw Deathlock [B]#2 Jack Brisco[/B] VS #15 Michael Hayes - 15:10 E Brisco Figure Four North America North [B]#1 Andre the Giant[/B] VS #16 Greg Gagne - 28:30 B Big Butt Drop #8 Master Sgt. Tomko VS [B]#9 Bob Backlund[/B] - 21:10 C- Backlund Leaping Piledriver #6 Jacques Rougeau VS [B]#11 Don Muraco[/B] - 23:50 C Boston Crab #4 Mr. Hito VS [B]#13 Roddy Piper[/B] - 12:00 F Figure Four #3 The Purple Haze VS [B]#14 Rick Martel[/B] - 21:00 F Sunset Flip [B]#5 Rocky Johnson[/B] VS #12 Mando Guerrero - 18:40 C+ Piledriver #7 Ivan Koloff VS [B]#10 Hulk Hogan[/B] - 19:10 C Big Bear Hug [B]#2 Billy Robinson[/B] VS #15 Angelo Mosca - 21:40 C Double Knee Back Breaker Far East [B]#1 Antonio Inoki[/B] VS #16 Road Warrior Animal - 18:30 D Ground Crucifix Arm Bar #8 Pierre Lefabvre VS [B]#9 Harley Race[/B] - 11:20 F Spinning Toe Submission #6 Rip Oliver VS [B]#11 Terry Funk[/B] - 32:40 A* Rolling Hammerlock [B]#4 Nick Bockwinkel[/B] VS #13 Maya Singh - 17:40 D Roll of Quarters Punch #3 Junkyard Dog VS [B]#14 Tatsumi Fujinami[/B] - 18:00 F Kataha Jimi [B]#5 Giant Baba[/B] VS #12 Masa Saito - 13:00 C Giant Double Underhook Suplex [B]#7 Kazuo Yamazaki[/B] VS #10 Terry Gordy - 18:00 C+ Triangle Choke #2 Bruiser Brody VS [B]#15 Jumbo Tsuruta[/B] - 38:40 A* Rolling Short Arm Scissors

The Far East division looks to have been the most fun, despite having a couple of low rated matches. Bockwinkel advancing as he did forced a smile. Who is 'the dirtiest player', again? Heh. No real surprises in North America North. That next round there might be the most entertaining of the bunch considering the names involved. The Lawler vs. Mascaras must have been a great one. Not only the rating, but just the fact that Lawler advanced! And poor Lismark. Looks like TCP1 will have to go with the only logical choice to win it all: Nick Bockwinkel! :)

Second round coming tonight but here's first round thoughts from me: Europe Region: Hansen dispatched of Barnes very easily beating him pillar to post. The fans weren't much into Chosyu/Zhukov and who could really blame them. Fernandez and Cowboy Bob Orton put on a good old fashioned brawl with Fernandez getting the duke after the fluke roll up pin. It was building into being an A match and a win for Orton. The Europe fans were overjoyed to see Sanders and Big Daddy meeting in the King of Kings. Sanders pulled off the big upset and advanced onward. Marty Jones and Atlas was lackluster and Jones just outsmarted and outworked the big man. Lizmark set himself up with winning a wildcard tournament outright and was rewarded with a 5 seed. He then goes on to stub his toe and lose to the talented Ted Dibiase. It was better than the C rating. Rhodes/Reed was a very good contest and it looked like for about 10 minutes that Reed was going to take Dusty out. Dusty just kept kicking out of pinfall attempts and finally locked in a Weaver Lock to end it. Rich was upset by the Loch Ness Monster in one of the two biggest upsets of round #1. Wildfire put up a good fight but the big man just took him out when he finally caught him with the Samoan Drop. Europe is shaping up to be, in my opinion, the Stan Hansen show. If he don't make it to the final four I'll be very surprised. If he beats Chosyu then he has the winner of Sanders/Fernandez and he should easily dispose of either of them. The bottom half should see Dibiase or Rhodes emerge to give Hansen a good fight in the great 8.

North America South highlights: The best matchups in round one came out of this region with two A*, a B+, and B- match. Lawler getting the win over Mascaras in one of those classics was a shock. Flair just isn't all with it I'm telling you all. Oates nearly beat the Nature Boy and pulled off a heck of an upset. Flair may make a second round exit via the Von Erich claw. Idol/Kabuki surpassed all expectations for sure pulling out a classic brawl. Bob Armstrong and Wahoo also had a good back and forth match. Every one of the 2nd round matchups here could be great one's with Von Erich/Flair, Caras/Idol, Satanico/Lawler, and McDaniel/Brisco. Should be interesting and I'm not even guessing who comes out of this region the victor. North America North highlights: Gagne nearly pulled off an impossible upset of Andre but just came up a bit short. Really mostly stinkers in this region as for round one. Hopefully round two will be better when we see Andre/Backlund, Muraco/Piper, Martel/Johnson, and Hogan/Robinson clash. Far East: Another hotly competitive region that saw some great matches, especially the nearly 40 minute dual between Brody and Tsuruta. Brody got upset and is now out with Jumbo moving on to take on Yamazaki who was being dominated by Gordy until he caught him with a Triangle Choke surprisingly ending the match. Wow, look at these second round matchups: Inoki/Race, Funk/Bockwinkel, Fujinami/Baba, and Yamazaki/Tsuruta. You could have easily had Inoki, Race, Funk, and Bockwinkel all in the final four of the King of Kings itself - and two of those guys won't even make it past the second round.

[QUOTE=DownNDirty]Marty Jones and Atlas was lackluster and Jones just outsmarted and outworked the big man. [/QUOTE] Tony Atlas was, and still is, certainly not the "brightest bulb on an X-mas tree". I think that the 2x4 that Jim Duggan (another not so bright worker) brought to the ring was smarter than Atlas.

[CENTER]Round Two[/CENTER] [U]Europe [/U] #1 Stan Hansen VS [B]#9 Riki Chosyu[/B] - 21:40 C- Arm Scissors Arm Bar [B]#6 Manny Fernandez[/B] VS #13 Mal Sanders - 28:40 B Piledriver through Table #3 Marty Jones VS [B]#12 Ted Dibiase[/B] - 24:10 C- Brass Knuckle Punch #7 Dusty Rhodes VS [B]#15 Loch Ness Monster[/B] - 23:20 B- Giant Grab Suplex [U]North America South[/U] #1 David Von Erich VS [B]#9 Ric Flair[/B] - 22:00 D Flair Figure Four #6 Dos Caras VS [B]#4 Austin Idol[/B] - 26:20 A* Fireball #3 El Satanico VS [B]#12 Jerry Lawler[/B] - 21:30 D Knock Out Punch #10 Wahoo McDaniel VS [B]#2 Jack Brisco[/B] - 17:30 D Brisco Figure Four [U]North America North[/U] [B]#1 Andre the Giant[/B] VS #9 Bob Backlund - 30:00 A Big Butt Drop [B]#11 Don Muraco[/B] VS #13 Roddy Piper - 23:20 C Inverted Piledriver #14 Rick Martel VS [B]#5 Rocky Johnson[/B] - 24:40 C+ High Cross Body [B]#10 Hulk Hogan[/B] VS #2 Billy Robinson - 26:50 C- Big Leg Drop [U]Far East[/U] [B]#1 Antonio Inoki[/B] VS #9 Harley Race - 20:00 E Ground Crucifix Arm Bar #11 Terry Funk VS [B]#4 Nick Bockwinkel[/B] - 22:20 C Oriental Sleeper Hold #14 Tatsumi Fujinami VS [B]#5 Giant Baba[/B] - 21:50 C Russian Legsweep into Armbar #7 Kazuo Yamazaki VS [B]#15 Jumbo Tsuruta[/B] - 8:40 E Jumbo Back Suplex

Sweet 16 coming up tonight but first some thoughts on the second round. Europe - Chosyu shocks the world by being beaten nearly to death and dominated the entire match only to catch Hansen with that Short Arm Bar and the bad man from Borger tapped - crazy. Fernandez and Sanders put on a good show but the European fans were none to pleased to see Fernandez get the duke in that matchup. I thought Dibiase/Jones would put on a better match but not surprised that one of the most technically gifted wrestlers in the world in Dibiase advanced. The battle of the belly fat resulted in Stardust exiting the tourney early. I had really thought it may have been him and Hansen to settle the score in Europe but both are now out and Europe is wide open. In the NA South bracket Flair downright killed Von Erich in that match dominating the entire contest. It was never in doubt as the Nature Boy hit some sort of form going into the sweet 16. Austin Idol pulled out another A* match as he's now 2 for 2 in the King of Kings for A*matches. When he pulled out that fireball the fans went nuts for that finish. Lawler and Satanico didn't have the most awesome of matches as their styles didn't gel well and it turned out pretty sloppy with not alot going on in that match. Brisco has Wahoo's number as he has now beat him in the MACW final and now knocked him out in the King of Kings tournament itself. NA North saw Andre and Backlund put on a whale of a show with Opie nearly getting the win. Andre was just too much though as he butt dropped Bob into oblivion. Soulman Rocky Johnson showed the fans something by at least getting this far. Some may argue that Martel is just not ready for prime time and shouldn't be in the second round but the fact is that he was and Johnson won so he's going to the sweet 16. Hogan just overpowered Robinson and even though Billy fought him to the end he never had anything for Hulk. Both men were wore down but Robinson just couldn't finish the deal and Hogan hit that leg drop and it was all she wrote. I was very upset with how Inoki/Race turned out in the Far East. I thought it stood a chance to be the best match of the entire tournament and Inoki just dominated him from bell to bell. Bockwinkel and Funk was back and forth but not many pinfall or submission attempts led to the lackluster rating. Baba dominated Fujinami and Tsuruta had the biggest lopsided win of the entire tournament when he decimated Yamazaki.

Europe [B]#9 Riki Chosyu[/B] VS #6 Manny Fernandez - 19:50 F Rolling Short Arm Scissors [B]#12 Ted Dibiase[/B] VS #15 Loch Ness Monster - 22:50 B+ Loaded Glove Shot North America South #9 Ric Flair VS [B]#4 Austin Idol[/B] - 22:30 D Brass Knuckle Punch [B]#12 Jerry Lawler[/B] VS #2 Jack Brisco - 25:00 D Lawler Piledriver North America North [B]#1 Andre the Giant[/B] VS #11 Don Muraco - 21:10 E Giant Bear Hug #5 Rocky Johnson VS [B]#10 Hulk Hogan[/B] - 23:50 C Big Leg Drop Far East [B]#1 Antonio Inoki[/B] VS #4 Nick Bockwinkel - 18:50 F Inoki Crucfix Arm Bar [B]#5 Giant Baba[/B] VS #15 Jumbo Tsuruta - 20:50 B Giant Choke Slam

While I can see Idol getting past Flair, Lawler beating Brisco is darned surprising. It is pretty cool that the Memphis guys advanced together, though. And Bockwinkel lost! Crud. There goes my pick out of the tourny. Out of respect to the man who beat him, I'm now picking Inoki to go all the way.

• 4 weeks later...
I am extremely sorry guys. I just got to finishing up this dynasty without even logging on and telling you all it was on hiatus. I had a computer meltdown, went through a divorce, and had two close deaths in the family to deal with since the first of August. I have finished it up and will post the remaining results over the next couple of days..........again, I apologize for my tardiness. Oh, and for the one that wanted to put a new spin on this or use this in some way - go for it I have no problem with that at all.

I am extremely sorry guys. I just got to finishing up this dynasty without even logging on and telling you all it was on hiatus. I had a computer meltdown, went through a divorce, and had two close deaths in the family to deal with since the first of August. I have finished it up and will post the remaining results over the next couple of days..........again, I apologize for my tardiness. Oh, and for the one that wanted to put a new spin on this or use this in some way - go for it I have no problem with that at all.

Europe [B]#9 Riki Chosyu[/B] VS #12 Ted Dibiase - 21:40 D Chosyu Face Lock North America South #4 Austin Idol VS [B]#12 Jerry Lawler[/B] - 23:30 A Fireball North America North #1 Andre the Giant VS [B]#10 Hulk Hogan[/B] - 25:00 C Big Leg Drop Far East [B]#1 Antonio Inoki [/B] VS #5 Giant Baba - 31:10 A Inoki Yinziguri Kick Thoughts: Well, the "regions" were finished up here and we had 4 pretty solid matches in this round. I expected Dibiase to give Chosyu more of a matchup. Idol and Lawler had another CLASSIC southern brawl that ended with fire. Andre and Hogan had the typical big man matchup and it looked like Andre would pull it off but it wasn't to be. Inoki took a brutal, brutal beatdown from Baba. Baba had 9, yes 9 near falls in this contest. Inoki just kept bouncing back and finally caught Baba with the Yinziguri Kick to put him away. Semis and finals coming tomorrow, I promise :)

Europe [B]#9 Riki Chosyu[/B] VS #12 Ted Dibiase - 21:40 D Chosyu Face Lock North America South #4 Austin Idol VS [B]#12 Jerry Lawler[/B] - 23:30 A Fireball North America North #1 Andre the Giant VS [B]#10 Hulk Hogan[/B] - 25:00 C Big Leg Drop Far East [B]#1 Antonio Inoki [/B] VS #5 Giant Baba - 31:10 A Inoki Yinziguri Kick Thoughts: Well, the "regions" were finished up here and we had 4 pretty solid matches in this round. I expected Dibiase to give Chosyu more of a matchup. Idol and Lawler had another CLASSIC southern brawl that ended with fire. Andre and Hogan had the typical big man matchup and it looked like Andre would pull it off but it wasn't to be. Inoki took a brutal, brutal beatdown from Baba. Baba had 9, yes 9 near falls in this contest. Inoki just kept bouncing back and finally caught Baba with the Yinziguri Kick to put him away. Semis and finals coming tomorrow, I promise :)

[QUOTE=DownNDirty;145389]I am extremely sorry guys. I just got to finishing up this dynasty without even logging on and telling you all it was on hiatus. I had a computer meltdown, went through a divorce, and had two close deaths in the family to deal with since the first of August. I have finished it up and will post the remaining results over the next couple of days..........again, I apologize for my tardiness. Oh, and for the one that wanted to put a new spin on this or use this in some way - go for it I have no problem with that at all.[/QUOTE] After looking at what you went through, there really is no reason why you had to apologize. Outside life should always take a back seat to here. I'm sorry to hear about the passings and your divorce. I hope everything gets better for you and your luck turns around.

[QUOTE=DownNDirty;145389]I am extremely sorry guys. I just got to finishing up this dynasty without even logging on and telling you all it was on hiatus. I had a computer meltdown, went through a divorce, and had two close deaths in the family to deal with since the first of August. I have finished it up and will post the remaining results over the next couple of days..........again, I apologize for my tardiness. Oh, and for the one that wanted to put a new spin on this or use this in some way - go for it I have no problem with that at all.[/QUOTE] After looking at what you went through, there really is no reason why you had to apologize. Outside life should always take a back seat to here. I'm sorry to hear about the passings and your divorce. I hope everything gets better for you and your luck turns around.

Archived