State of the Football Sims

I decided to post this here, not too sure which forum this belongs in, but this one looks good :) The reason why so many people want Grey Dog to create a football sim is simple - there is no dominant football sim currently on the market. If you look at other sports, when you think of baseball you think OOTP, soccer Football Manager, basketball Total Pro Basketball. What about football? From what I've seen, it's a nasty split down the middle between Total Pro Football and Front Office Football, with no clear cut winner. Total Pro Football was a great start that sparked a lot of interest, but many are disappointed about the lack of any sort of sequel, and feel more like they've been hung out to dry. It was a great start, but there are more Run Time Errors than touchdowns, and it's hard to get into any game with such a dim future. Then there's Front Office Football. Front Office Football is a decent game, but in my opinnion it's pretty complex. You could spend days just staring at the stats and ratings and trying to figure out what you're doing. Don't stare too long though or you might lose your eyesight. The Front Office Football rivals that of old versions of Windows. It certainly isn't pretty, and it has more of a spreadsheet feeling than anything. So much for presentation. To sum it all up, no game has taken over the market, and it's still largely a level playing field, and many gamers (like myself) are still looking for football sim nirvana :) Hopefully this was the right place to share this, and hopefully I'm not going to get beat up for posting this either. I can almost hear Arlie's attack dogs now...

There definately is a market for a football sim, but it is a very fickle market, much like the baseball market. The hardcore football sim players will tear apart a new entry that isn't up to par. That in itself makes it hard for a new player to come around. Baseball has had some successful options for a couple years now so when a new player comes around in that it is less scrutinized because the fans have there game to go to. Front Office Football and Total Pro Football both fell short of a lot of the hardcore players expectations, including mine. Hopefully we will see one from this group. I'd definately welcome it.

I agree for the most part. Front Office Football, in my opinnion, is a decent game, but the user interface could use a lot of improvement, and the presentation leaves a lot to be desired. Personally I have a hard time getting into Front Office Football, and although the game engine is superb, it feels more like a football spreadsheet program than a totally immersive universe - it does what it's designed to do, then nothing more. FOF has been succesfull, yes, but it seems to lack the luster such as games like Out of the Park Baseball, or even Football Manager (people swear it's the best sports game out there, although I've personally not touched it - soccer is too confusing). I'm not too sure, the jury seems to be split on Front Office Football. Some people swear by it, some people won't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I think there's plenty of room for another football sim though ;)

Guest IrishHand
You people are crazy. FOF is the CM/OOTP of football sims. It's not even close, nor should it be. In terms of realism, depth and gameplay it sets the standard. Criticizing a text-based sim for not being pretty is simply shallow - especially when the fan base assured Jim for years that the appearance was irrelevant. I've no doubt that the next version of FOF will be much "prettier", but I couldn't care less. As long as it maintains the same stellar gaming level, it won't matter.

[QUOTE=IrishHand]You people are crazy. FOF is the CM/OOTP of football sims. It's not even close, nor should it be. In terms of realism, depth and gameplay it sets the standard. Criticizing a text-based sim for not being pretty is simply shallow - especially when the fan base assured Jim for years that the appearance was irrelevant. I've no doubt that the next version of FOF will be much "prettier", but I couldn't care less. As long as it maintains the same stellar gaming level, it won't matter.[/QUOTE] Yes, people are crazy for their opinions.

[QUOTE=Maximus]Yes, people are crazy for their opinions.[/QUOTE] Don't you know by now? Anyone who has the opposite opinion as Irish Hand is dumb or crazy, and whatever they would like to see in a sim doesn't matter. Only what he would like to see in a sim matters. Par for the course from him.

I'm not too sure. Evidently TPF had some success considering the circumstances. TPF was probably the single game that rivaled FOF, and there were always arguements over at .400 about which game was "better". I'm pretty sure nobody expects 3D graphics or anything like that. For some people FOF may be fine, but for me, I'd like something more like a real living breathing football universe, something that makes you feel like you're really in the game. TPF was the answer to that for some people, but TPF had it's share of problems. Personally I think the success of Total Pro Football was a great indicator that the market is wide open for any sort of competition. A lot of people have submitted their ideas for a Grey Dog football sim, and I think if you mix those ideas with a solid sim engine, and make it look decent, you'll have a winner. :)

I like it and all but I really don't like the user interface it looks like they threw it together with $10. I would like to see GDS come out with one if it is any thing like TPB 2005 then it will be worth buying. But I would also like to see TDCB 2 or even a college football game, cause the only thing I like to play is EA's college footbal 2005 on my playstation 2 which takes forever to load. If you could add more indepth options to that it would be an awsome game.

Archived