The Franchise - A Cornellverse Adventure

Sunday, Week 4, May 2006. That day stands out to me because that was the day I graduated from TCW's Wrestling School. For over two years, I learned from the best in the business today, Tommy freaking Cornell! The training was gruelling and a lot of people dropped out when the going got tough. In fact, I was the only person in my class to graduate. But that's because I'm a ****ing badass. Anyways, it was graduation day and I was to become a fully-fledged member of the TCW roster. Or so I thought. "What do you mean you're not offering me a contract?!?" Tommy was sitting behind his desk, that trademark smirk on his face. I wasn't too sure if I could believe Tommy since the guy liked working me. The man next to him, however, I couldn't question. Joel Bryant wasn't a man who joked around when it came to career matters considering how many times the guy has been bumped off rosters or floated aimlessly in promotions. Joel:"We just don't think you would be a good fit at this time." I was speechless. I worked so hard and I thought that I would be rewarded with a spot on the roster at the end. It kinda hurt. Tommy saw the look of confusion, sadness, and anger on my face and got up from his desk and consoled me. Tommy:"'Ey, don't worry about it. Go out, get some experience, and call us up in the future. We'd be glad to take a look at you once you've honed your skills! I've already called Rip Chord and asked him to give you a job. If he's interested, he'll contact you with the contract particulars. After that, it's up to you what you wanna do." And that was my graduation day. It sucked. My first day as a Professional Wrestler would start tomorrow and I was unemployed, broke, and for the most part aimless. Eh, it'll work itself out somehow. [QUOTE]Ok, I'll be putting out-of-character stuff in quote boxes like this one. Anyways, this is a Rookie-to-Legend game based in the Cornellverse. I editted the data slightly, to give the smaller promotions weekly shows. Other than that nothing has been changed. My character (The Franchise) is an 18-year old Regular Wrestler with Future Legend stats. Brawling: C+ Power: D Strong Style: F Hardcore: F MMA: F Mat-Wrestling: C+ Chain Wrestling: C+ Submissions: D Aerial: D Flashiness: F Microphone: F Charisma: F Acting: D Looks: C+ Star Quality: B Basics: D Psychology: D Safety: F Consistantcy: D Selling: D Athleticism: D Toughness: D Stamina: D Business: F Booking: F Respect: F Intensity: D Stiffness: F Resilience: A* Menace: F Refereeing: F Spirit: F[/QUOTE]

My first day as a pro came and went and nothing much of note happened. I worked on a move set, something that complimented by blend of styles and contacted some promotions about work. Thankfully, Tommy was nice enough to give me a tape of myself in action with Tommy putting me over in it. That should help when approaching some companies. Anyways, since TCW was based in the South West part of the US, I thought getting really popular there would make me more appealing to TCW. Also since the Tri-State area has always been a hotbed for wrestling, I thought I'd see if I could ply my craft in that part of the country, sending copies of my little tape to CZCW and NYCW respectively in addition to the gig I was hoping to get at MAW. I had no reason to think they wouldn't sign me, but you never know. The next day, I was woken up by my mom holding the cordless phone. Still groggy from just waking up, I uttered some words that lacked vowels before finally asking who was on the phone. She told me it was Rip Chord. That woke me up pretty damn quickly. In a flash I was up phone up against my ear. Franchise:"Hello?" Rip Chord:"Franchise? Morning son, how ya doing?" Franchise:"I can't complain." Rip:"Good, good. Now you're probably wondering why I'm calling ya so damn early in the morning. Well, I've been talking to Cornell and he suggested that I bring you in to gain some expereince. At first, I was gonna pass on ya, cause I'm happy with our roster, but then I saw your tape and goddamn son! You got some serious skills and I wanna help ya improve them. So, I'm offering you a contract with us." Me and Rip worked on the particulars before finally reaching an agreement. My contract was for 8 months and I'd be working heel. I play a damn good heel. I got similar calls from both Cliff Anderson and The Stomper, owners of CZCW and NYCW respectively both with verbal contracts for me. In fact, The Stomper told me that there was a show tonight and that I might be booked! So as soon as I got off the phone with him, I grabbed my wrestling gear, hopped in my car, and made my way to Philidelphia from Cincinnati for the night's show.

[b][u]NYCW Empire State Wrestling (Tuesday, Week 1, June 2006)[/u][/b] When I got to the arena, I was exhausted from the non-stop 10 hour drive. In the end the whole trip was rendered pointless as I wasn't booked. Don't they know who I am? I'm The Franchise, bitch! *cough* Yeah, I didn't get booked. Notable Show Notes: Joey Minnesota retained the NYCW Empire title against Black Hat Bailey and Grandmaster Phunk retained the NYCW Tri-State Regional title against Mr. America. [b][u]CZCW Mortal Combat (Wednesday, Week 1, June 2006)[/u][/b] I arrived at the arena and found out that I actually got booked for a match! My first match ever would be against Valiant. Talk about making a guy run before they can crawl. [b]Valiant vs. The Franchise[/b]: It was a back and forth affair with me surprisingly keeping up with him, slipping out of a lot of his move attempts with him doing the same to me. Finally he made a fatal mistake when I got out of the way of his Patriot Missle and dropped him on his dome with the EnFranchiser (Spinning Sit-Out Inverted Piledriver) and got the win! [b]Winner[/b]: Me, The Franchise. [b]Rating[/b]: B- [b]Winnings[/b]: $600 [b][u]MAW Old School Encounter (Friday, Week 1, June 2006)[/u][/b] Rip Chord pulled me aside and said he was looking forward to seeing what I could do tonight. That's a lot of pressure for an 18 year old kid. But eh, no worries. I'll **** this guy up, get my money and make myself look good for Rip Chord. [b]The Franchise vs. Rockin' Ryan Turner[/b]: Now, I'm not much of a high flyer or all that speedy, but I was able to keep up with Ryan Turner, escaping most of his holds just as he escaped mine. We gradually wore each other out and when Ryan Turner missed a Seated Dropkick, I took advantage getting the (anticlimatic) win with a Fisherman's Suplex. I was shocked I won like that, but eh, a win's a win. The crowd hated it though, chanting "This Match Sucked" as I walked up the aisle. I gotta agree with them on that. [b]Winner[/b]: The Franchise [b]Rating[/b]: F [b]Winnings[/b]: $600 Not at all a bad week as I went 2-0 in both of my first two matches. Let's see how things go next week.

I took a look at my schedule and saw no big shows on the horizon. Just the weekly shows that MAW, CZCW, and NYCW are holding. Fair enough. When I got home, I found the latest issue of the Wrestling Voyeur, the best dirtsheet around, in the mail. I scanned it for my name, but didn't see it anywhere. I guess I wasn't going to be famous after just one week. There was an interesting story about American Elemental in Japan, rumors of Remo jumping to TCW, and rumblings about marriage problems between Sean McFly and Victoria Stone. Anyways, my second week as a pro wrestler had arrived and I was off to my first show of the week. [b][u]NYCW Empire State Wrestling (Tuesday, Week 2, June 2006)[/u][/b] And for the second week in a row, I am not booked. These people are seriously starting to irk me. I came in because I thought they wanted my skills, but here they are, wasting me! Fine, fine, they may be costing me a pay check, but I'll deal with it by working harder in CZCW and MAW. [b][u]CZCW Mortal Combat (Wednesday, Week 2, June 2006)[/u][/b] At least I can count on bookings here. Tonight I would be in my first ever tag match. Sounds like fun. [b]Jeremiah Moose and Marc Speed vs. Frankie Perez and The Franchise[/b]: It was a very fast paced match that was hard to follow at times. At first it looked like it would be even between Frankie and Jeremiah, the two slipping out of each other's moves, but suddenly the momentum got on Frankie's side and he dominated Jeremiah. However, he couldn't finish him off. Jeremiah made the comeback and was able to tag out to Marc Speed. Frankie wore Marc down a bit, but being fresh still worked in Speed's favor, nearly finishing Frankie off on several occassions. Luckily, Frankie was able to tag me in and I was a HOUSE OF FIRE~! I threw lefts, rights, and even the whole kitchen sink! Unfortunately he avoided a lot of my stuff just as I did his. When I slipped out of his attempt to hit me with a Back Suplex, I spun him around and locked on my Franchise-Lock (DDT Choke-Sleeper). There's no escape from my Franchise-Lock and Marc Speed tapped before passing out. It was a pretty good match. [b]Winner[/b]: Frankie Perez and The Franchise [b]Rating[/b]: C [b]Winnings[/b]: $600 [b][u]MAW Old School Encounter (Friday, Week 2, June 2006)[/u][/b] I worked on my Basics a bit, giving them a nice boost [I](bought a 5% and 1% boost for Basics)[/I]. Anyways, when I arrived, Rip told me that he liked what he saw from me last week and wanted to see what I could do with one of the companies top guys. A Main Eventer eh? I can handle that. I would be facing off against Oscar Golden. The fight purse was $1000. I want that money. [b]Oscar Golden vs. The Franchise[/b]: Things didn't look good for me early on as Oscar was dominant and I couldn't get anything in, but he started getting sloppy and that allowed me to take him down to the mat and hit him with some low leveled submission holds to soften him up. Once sufficiently weakened, I started throwing the big guns, focusing on his head with some MMA-inspired elbows and punches to the face. I could tell he was done, so I went to finish him, but he would not die! He made a comeback, hitting me with lots of big moves until I was almost done. He went for a Twisting Face Crusher, but with one last push, I slipped out. Moments later the EnFranchiser finished things off. Not my best match. [b]Winner[/b]: The Franchise [b]Rating[/b]: E [b]Winnings[/b]: $800 Another 2-0 week and I'm on a winning streak! Hot damn. I made some decent money, but I'm definately not getting much fame. Maybe I'll get my big break next week.

Archived