I've only got the demo......

it really is all about scouting your opponent, being smart with EVERY move and getting a bit of luck. you will enjoy the game much more when you "get" it, and you'll win more often as well. momentum is HUGE. unless you are a superior worker you must obey momentum at all times. if yours is less than 3/4, don't go for finishers or low percentage moves (unless you're completely desperate). you won't hit big moves with low momentum unless you get lucky or are a much better worker than your opponent. so what do you do with low momentum? if you're a technical wrestler, use high % technical moves like the monkey flip. when doing your move set, sort by technical moves and add a bunch of those. if you're a brawler, use high % brawling moves like the european uppercut. if you're a flyer, use high % aerial moves like the dropkick. you get the idea...build your moveset around your character's strengths. during the match, take note of what your opponent's attack is before deciding how to counter it. I know it's tempting to just double click on something until you get control, but being rash like that is exactly how you end up losing a close match. If he’s stronger than you (brawling/power) and is trying to smash you with a punch or something, don’t try to brace it – the blow will stagger you anyway. If you’re a superior technical worker, BLOCK his attack. If you’re a speedy/athletic flyer, AVOID the attack. If you’re fighting against a technical worker and you’re bigger/stronger than he is, BREAK his attacks/holds. You get the idea now…it’s more complex than rock/paper/scissors but the basic ideas are to use your strengths against your opponent’s weaknesses and always obey the momentum gods. When your momentum is low, you have to hit the low/mid moves to build it up before going for a high/finishing move. When you’re in big trouble, try and use holds to suck your opponent’s momentum down and buy some time. The beauty of all of this is that the new combat engine does emulate REAL WRESTLING!

also look and see when your opponent is blocking or slipping out of moves, see if he does it easily or regular then avoid using moves that he easily blocks/slips out of. Even write them down if you have to... this should help out a lot.... :)

I followed those tips and i'm gradually getting better, but i'm still getting beat easily, in a 6 man tag my partner was pinned only after a few moves when he was completely fresh. In a singles match i had very high momentum and was doing high moves then it all changed around and i was pinned very fast.

It'll take some practice, but you'll get there. I mean, you'll still lose sometimes after being ahead but for the most part you'll start to win more than you lose. don't overlook the importance of upgrading your skills...even small increases can really help. In my current game, my character is 21-0, so it's possible to do very well if you just take the time choose the correct moves. Keep at it, and read the help files if you get some time, they're really helpful.

[QUOTE=Trashbear]It'll take some practice, but you'll get there. I mean, you'll still lose sometimes after being ahead but for the most part you'll start to win more than you lose. don't overlook the importance of upgrading your skills...even small increases can really help. In my current game, my character is 21-0, so it's possible to do very well if you just take the time choose the correct moves. Keep at it, and read the help files if you get some time, they're really helpful.[/QUOTE] exactly.... my CURRENT character is 92-1 and this after I started over a few times.... hang in there....:) when I first started I think I was 12-18 or something like that and then I decided to try a different style of wrestling...

[QUOTE=Parry]I followed those tips and i'm gradually getting better, but i'm still getting beat easily, in a 6 man tag my partner was pinned only after a few moves when he was completely fresh. In a singles match i had very high momentum and was doing high moves then it all changed around and i was pinned very fast.[/QUOTE] being pinned fast could also mean that your popularity is very low so you don't get a high number to start with anyway... and playing the demo is only a month in the career mode, so I know you can't be to popular yet.... :)

In the demo you can only play the superstar challenge or League mode, so he's not starting from the very bottom ala RTL. It's more likely to be bad choices for counter type that is causeing this. Especially since if you make the right choice for counter to a finisher or high level move you can stop it very easily.

[QUOTE=Sartagis]In the demo you can only play the superstar challenge or League mode, so he's not starting from the very bottom ala RTL. It's more likely to be bad choices for counter type that is causeing this. Especially since if you make the right choice for counter to a finisher or high level move you can stop it very easily.[/QUOTE] yeah, you're right I forgot about no rtl in demo.......

[QUOTE=Trashbear]A little off-topic but...Wooodaddy, who gave you that one loss?[/QUOTE] freakin' Brutus Beefcake aka Dizzy Ed Hogan..... early in my career... one of those fluke, me stompin' a mud hole in his butt, and he countered one of my moves and got the pin in about 6:00.. I quickly beat his monkey a** the next show though... :)

I'm using the momentum bar to my advantage but i'm still getting beat. I was fighting someone who was bigger than me, i was a technical wrestler. I broke and blocked his attacks and followed them up with single leg trips and several other leg manouvers to try to cut him down to size. As i gained momentum and he lost some i went for medium moves using Boston Crab to do further damage. After a while of back and forth action i regained control, i had my momentum up to full while his was empty, i performed the STF then try to folloe up with my finisher the Texan Deathlock, he blocked it, i tried to ground him again with a medium manouver but he blocked it again, then out of nowhere he performed the tombstone and it was all over.

I've had more than a few matches where I've been dominating only to be hit with a finisher by a guy w/no momentum...very frustrating, but I try to remember that I've seen "cheap" wins like that in real wrestling. Looking at it that way keeps it from bothering me.

Yeah the key thing to remember is that regardless of strategy every move is based on chance from 1-100%. Momentum makes it more likely for a move to hit when you have it, and less likely when you don't, but even if there's only a 1% chance it can happen. Similarly in regards to the chance of success for moves, I've gotten a submission with the Camel Clutch which only has a 1% chance of finishing a match, and several pinfalls with moves like the Fame Dropper and Flying Clothesline that only have a 10-15% chance to finish.

Archived