A Story Rewritten -- A Charlie Haas Diary

[quote][b]Disclaimer:[/b] This is a fictional history based on the game Wrestling Spirit 2 and should not be miscontrued as actual wrestling news, information, rumors, or results.[/quote] [b]HAPPY NEW YEAR![/b] And so began the year 2001, my second year in World Wrestling Entertainment. I sat on the bed in my hotel room in Newark, New Jersey, where I was watching the New Year's Eve celebration on ABC. It kinda made me feel bad inside that I wasn't home with my family in Texas, but instead I was here in this hotel room in the middle of nowhere. My brother Russ was here, but he was staying in the room down the hall. Russ and I were recently called up from the Ohio Valley Wrestling roster, but we weren't set to receive a big push yet. They say we work very well as a team, which is obvious, since we've been working together since we were kids. They like our talent, not only as a team, but as singles wrestlers as well. Some people say we're like the next Bret and Owen Hart. The thing I'm wondering is, which one of us is gonna have Bret's success? Tomorrow night is the first RAW is WAR of the year, and Russ and I are booked in a match with the WWF Tag Team Champions, Edge and Christian in a non title match. Besides that, the card's really looking good though, WWF's trying to kick off the new year with a bang. Well, I'd better get some sleep, I've got a big match tomorrow. [b]OOC:[/b] Sorry for the short backstory, I kinda got writer's (typer's?) block and I just wanted to get this started.

[color=red][i]Monday, January 1st, 2001[/i][/color] I packed my bags and we were ready to head to the arena. I had to check with Russ if he was bringing his own car or not. I walked down the hall with my duffel bag and knocked on his door, room 214. "Russ, are you in there?" Within seconds, he walked out, bag in hand. "Hey Charlie, you ready to go? "Yeah man, you wanna take your own car or I'll drive you?" "Nah I'd better take my own, we gotta head straight on the plane to Seattle after the show, so I gotta return the car." "Alright, well we gotta get going, the show starts in a few hours." Russ and I walked over to the elevator, and we saw a couple of other wrestlers getting ready to leave as well. On the elevator along with us was another young star, Randy Orton. I don't really know what to think of this kid. Some times I talk to him and he's an arrogant jackass, but other times he's really a nice guy. He stood there in the elevator and we packed in with our duffel bags. "Hey Charlie, Russ, what's up?" He said. "Nothing, we've gotta get to the arena, we've got a tag match against Edge and Christian. You on the card tonight?" Russ replied as I pressed the button for the bottom floor. "Yeah I'm in a dark match against TAKA Michinoku." The elevator bell rang and the door opened as all three of us walked out. Russ and Randy made a right as we got into the parking lot, but I parked on the other side. I took out my keys from my pocket and unlocked the doors of my rented black 1999 Honda Civic. I opened the back door and tossed my bag inside, before I closed the door. I got in the driver's seat and made my way to the arena. [i][b]20 Minutes Later[/i][/b] I pulled in the Continental Airlines Arena parking lot and took out my bag once more. I saw Shawn Michaels and Chris Jericho out signing autographs to some fans. [i]That's gonna be me and Russ one day.[/i] I thought to myself. I walked through the hallways and I made a few turns before I stopped at my locker room. I stepped through the door and put my bag down on a bench. I began to get ready, and just a few minutes later, someone knocked on my door. "Come on in." The door opened, and it was Russ. He brought his bag in and threw it down away from mine. "We're up third tonight, Charlie. First is a promo-into-brawl with Chris Jericho and Chris Benoit, and then a recap of the E&C and the Dudleyz feud, a commercial break, and we're on." "The show starts in an hour and a half, which means we don't have much time. I still gotta stretch and warm up. So let's go." [b][i]1 Hour, 30 Minutes Later[/b][/i] Russ and I sat in the locker room, matching red wrestling outfits and all. We were set for our match with the WWF Tag Team Champions. If we impress the people backstage, they might set us up for a nice little push in the near future. If we don't, well, there's been rumors of a huge roster cut coming pretty soon, and who knows, we might be on it. Later on, the time came for our matchup. [quote=http://www.wwwrestlingnews.com/results/raw/010101.html][center] [img]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/134/wwnup0.png[/img][/center] [color=red][b][u]RAW is WAR Results (01/01/01)[/color][/b][/u] 1. IN THE RING: Chris Jericho & Chris Benoit [list][*] Chris Jericho comes down to the ring and begins to talk trash about Chris Benoit. [*] Jericho says the Intercontinental Championship is his, and that he wants a shot at it. [*] Chris Benoit comes down to the ring and says that Jericho is just whining about it, and that he isn't getting a shot at the title. [*] It descends into a brawl, which officials had to break apart.[/list] 2. VIDEO PACKAGE: Dudley Boyz vs. E&C feud recap 3. MATCH: Edge & Christian vs. The Haas Brothers [list][*] This was a decent little squash match, with Christian pinning Russ Haas after about 6 minutes.[/list] 4. BACKSTAGE: Too Cool & Triple H [list][*] Too Cool have been wanting to make their way up the card, so they challenged Triple H to a match tonight. [*] HHH accepts and says he'll get a partner for later tonight to face them.[/list] 5. MATCH: Albert vs. Mr. Aguila [list][*] Albert got a squash victory over Aguila, finishing him off with the Baldo Bomb.[/list] 6. IN THE RING: The Radicalz & Shawn Michaels [list][*] Shawn Michaels's music hit, getting a huge pop from the crowd! [*] Michaels got in the ring and talked about how he missed the ring, and he would be coming back sooner rather than later. [*] The Radicalz (sans Benoit) came out and surrounded him in the ring. [*] Eddie Guerrero took a mic and said he's sick of Michaels hogging the spotlight even when he's not on the roster. [*] Eddie challenged HBK to a match, which HBK declined because he's still injured. [*] Eddie then said that the Radicalz were going to take the spotlight the hard way. [*] Perry Saturn attacked Michaels from behind and the Radicalz did a 3 on 1 beatdown. [*] Perry Saturn hit a Death Valley Driver, dropping HBK on his head. [*] Eddie Guerrero was next, hitting a Frog Splash from the top rope. [*] Dean Malenko locked in the Texas Cloverleaf, putting immense pressure on the back of Michaels, while Eddie was slapping him in the face. [*] The Radicalz stood over the fallen Shawn Michaels as the fans showered them with boos.[/list] 7. NON-TITLE MATCH: Lita vs. Ivory [list][*] Lita had the upper hand early, showing some nice acrobatic moves. [*] Ivory would ground her with a DDT, before taking full control. [*] Lita would score a roll-up victory, earning herself a title shot next week.[/list] 8. HARDCORE TITLE MATCH: Raven vs. Steve Blackman [list][*] This match involved a whole bunch of weapons. [*] Blackman brought out a stop sign and bashed it over his head a few times. [*] Raven would get the win after two Raven Effects onto a chair.[/list] 9. TAG TEAM MATCH: Too Cool vs. Triple H and William Regal [list][*] Too Cool came out, followed by HHH, who announced that his partner was William Regal. [*] Regal came out and the two got in the ring, ready to battle. [*] Too Cool had an advantage for much of this match, but HHH stopped that with a high knee. [*] In the end, Too Cool was getting some more momentum, but Angle distracted the referee as Regal hit Scotty 2 Hotty with brass knuckles and made the cover for the victory.[/list] 10. POST-MATCH: Triple H & William Regal & Too Cool & Kurt Angle [list][*] Triple H and William Regal beat on Scotty and Grandmaster Sexay. [*] HHH brought out a sledgehammer, and went to hit Grandmaster Sexay with it, but Kurt Angle ran down and made the save! [*] Angle hit an Angle Slam on William Regal as HHH fled the scene, ending the show.[/list][/quote] OOC: That's all for now. I'm gonna add more in the next post, and it'll be Haas again. Also, I know a few things aren't correct, and they probably wouldn't happen in real life, but I'm doing the shows by the WreSpi2 results, and I'm just adding in little promos here and there to spice it up a little. And yes, I know I'm using the OWW style.

[color=red][i]Monday, January 1st, 2001 (cont.)[/i][/color] I was backstage with Russ in our locker room, packing up for the night while watching the rest of the show, and we were talking about our match. "I didn't think we did too bad, we just have to improve on our psycology and things like that. The mental aspects, that's what I think." Russ was explaining to me. "Yeah, but I thought that match flowed well, and we made them look good, which is our job." Then, there was a knock at the door. "Come in." Russ said. The door opened, and it was none other than John Laurinaitis, also known as Johnny Ace. He had a clipboard in his hand, with a pencil on it. "Hey guys, I'm glad I caught you before you left. You looked good in your match tonight, but as you know, the WWF is cutting down on the roster size drastically, and you two did not make the cut. You have been released from your contract, effective immediately. We've got you plane tickets back to Dallas, tomorrow morning at 7:30. Hopefully you guys will come back and you'll enjoy a great career with the WWF. Thank you for your efforts." He said to us. We stood there, in half-shock, half-expectance. Ace crossed two names off of the paper on his clipboard, and turned to leave. "Good night fellas." He said before opening the door and leaving the room. "Damn it!" I couldn't help but yelling. Russ showed his anger as well, by spiking his water bottle into the ground. "Damn...what do we do now?" "We get out of here, and return our rental cars. Then, we go home, and we think of what we're gonna do next." I replied. "Man...I thought this was gonna be our big break." "Not yet, but there's still the future." We finished packing up, and we walked to the parking lot. "I'll see you at the hotel, Russ." "See you later." We got into our separate cars, and drove them to Enterprise. When I got there and returned the car and the keys, Russ wasn't there. I had to flag down a taxi, and I told him the address of the hotel we were staying in. He drove me there, and I stepped out. The driver let me grab my bag out of the back of the car, before I went inside the hotel. I went straight up to my room and laid down. [i]I'm happy and sad that I'm going home. I get to see my family again, but I also don't get to wrestle in promotions that will get me good exposure. I'd hate to go back and work for CZW again, it's too far away. But it might be the only option...[/i] [quote=http://www.wwwrestlingnews.com/news/releases010201.html][center] [img]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/134/wwnup0.png[/img][/center] [b][u]Huge Roster Cut[/b][/u] Last night, the WWF released a lot of not only young talent, but some of their regular roster. They basically eliminated OVW, and sent a lot of young wrestlers home disheartened. Here is the list of the people who have been released from their contract: Russell Payne, Jr. (BJ Payne) Rico Constantino Travis Tomko Shelton Benjamin Steve Bradley Russ Haas Ron Waterman Eric Angle Nick Dinsmore Randy Orton Matt Anoai (Kimo) Eddie Fatu (OG Ekmo) Charlie Haas Danny Hollie (The Damaja) Rob Conway Michael Lockwood (Crash Holly) John Layfield (Bradshaw) Joanie Laurer (Chyna) Chaz Warrington Barry Buchanan (Bull Buchanan) David Heath (Gangrel) Sean Morley (Val Venis) Matt Bloom (Albert) Terri Poch (Tori) I think the most surprising on this list would be either Randy Orton, Shelton Benjamin, or Bradshaw. Randy Orton, because he is the son of legendary "Cowboy" Bob Orton, Shelton Benjamin because he is an amazing athlete from what I've seen in OVW, and Bradshaw because now this leaves Faarooq in the middle of nowhere without a partner in the APA. More releases as they come.[/quote] OOC: The game threw me a curve. I didn't expect to be released this early, but oh well, I'm gonna stick with it and bring them up through the indies again. I might try and get signed by WCW, but I can't see it happening, so I haven't decided what I'm gonna do yet. Also, the reason I didn't talk about the match was because it was just a little squash match to put Edge and Christian over.

[i]Saturday, January 6th, 2001[/i] I woke up in the morning in my own bed back in Dallas, Texas. This had been the fifth night I was back, and I'd seen my mother and father, and my sister Cara. Today was the day that Russ and I were gonna discuss our plans for the future. At about 1:30 PM, I called him up and told him to come on down. Russ lives about 5 minutes away, still in Dallas. He had just moved here before we went to the WWF developmental territory, OVW. A few minutes after we hung up the phone, my brother was at my door. I told him to come in and we sat down in the kitchen at the table. "I'm still pretty mad about what happened Monday," Russ told me. "That might have been our last chance to make it big." "Russ, we're still young. I'm 28 years old, you're 26. We've still got plenty of time. Look at Bret Hart, he was 35 when he won his first WWF Title. We just need to get some more exposure and big companies are gonna wanna sign us." "I don't know, I might be giving up on the wrestling business. These last few days have reminded me of the good memories I've had while I was here at home. With Mom and Dad, and Cara, I've just been thinking that maybe wrestling wasn't the right career choice for me." "Russ...don't think like that. You've already been employed by the biggest wrestling company in the world, and you're thinking you aren't good enough? Well you can stay here and get a regular job, get paid minimum-wage for awhile, and do something you hate, or you can do something you love to do and travel the country doing it. I'm gonna review my options, but as of right now, the only promotion that might get me, or us, enough exposure would be to go back to CZW in Philadelphia. Tell me what you wanna do." "I'm not sure, Charlie. I'm definitely taking a bit of a rest from wrestling, I'm not sure if I'm gonna come back or not. But I promise, when I make my decision, you'll be the first one I call." Russ stood up, turned around and walked out of the kitchen. He opened my front door and closed it, before walking to his car. I stood there, feeling betrayed. Russ was never the kind of guy to give up on whatever he set his mind to. He was always the one who pushed the hardest and helped me keep my focus when something went wrong. But now, it's the other way around, and I'm all alone. I definitely want to continue wrestling, but I'm not sure if it's gonna be the same without my brother. I sighed as I walked upstairs to my bedroom. I sat down on the bed and opened the drawer in the nightstand next to it. I picked up my book that had a bunch of phone numbers of my friends and family. I went to the "C" page as I scanned the numbers until I saw the man I was looking for. John Corso. It was time to go back.

[quote=http://www.wwwrestlingnews.com/news/releases010601.html][center] [img]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/134/wwnup0.png[/img][/center] [b][u]Huge Roster Cut Pt. 2[/b][/u] [size=1]by The Man[/size] Just like the World Wrestling Federation a few days ago, WCW also had a massive roster cut last night. ECW cut some wrestlers as well, but not as many as WWF and WCW. Here are the people who are no longer under contract with WCW and ECW. [color=blue]denotes WCW[/color] [color=brown]denotes ECW[/color] [color=blue]Scott Norton David Finlay Jamie Knoble Harold Hoag (MI Smooth) Rick Cornell (Reno) Alan Funk (Kwee-Wee) Ron Harris Don Harris Vito LaGrasso Jimmy Yang Allen Jones (AJ Styles) Scott Bigelow (Bam Bam Bigelow) Mark Jindrak Jerry Tuite (Sergeant A-WALL) Chris Candido Shannon Moore Chris Ford (Crowbar) Brian Knobs Lane Huffman (Stevie Ray) Evan Karagias Chuck Palumbo Frank Parris (Air Paris) Peter Gruner (Billy Kidman) Bryan Clarke Shawn Stasiak Chris Klucsaritis (Chris Kanyon) Uliuli Fifita (Meng) Sean O'Haire Johnny Stamboli (Johnny the Bull) Shannon Spruill (Daffney) Alex Wright Mark Hildreth (Major Stash) Jonathan LeRoux (Corporal Cajun) Charles Ashenhoff (Konnan) Kristina Laum (Leia Meow) Vanessa Sanchez (Tygress) Stacy Keibler[/color] [color=brown]James Mitchell (Sinister Minister) Rhea Devlugt (Jasmine St. Claire) Dawn Marie Carlene Moore (Jazz)[/color] The "WTF" award goes to WCW and releasing half of their cruiserweight division (Yang, Styles, Paris, Knoble, Moore, etc.) and also possibly the future of the business (Jindrak, O'Haire). They release these guys, yet they keep around Scott Steiner and Bill Goldberg. I find that amazing. The "Thank God" award also goes to WCW because they finally got rid of that awful stable, the Misfits in Action. I like Chavo Guerrero and Booker T, and I don't think they deserved that treatment. Besides the MIA, I'm glad those talentless hacks like Meng, Stevie Ray, and Bam Bam Bigelow are gone too. Bam Bam and Meng used to be good back in the day, but their time is long gone, and I'm glad they're off of TV. Until next time, this is the man, telling you to stay tuned for my next article.[/quote] I have to type 3 letters in this post besides the quote, so here they are, although this is more than 3 letters >_>

• 2 weeks later...

Archived