WWWF - 1970 and Beyond

WRESTLING REVUE
January 1st 1970
"Your source for mat news!"

BRISCO DEFECTS?
by Eric Rademeier

In news that shocked not only myself, but the entire wrestling world, it appears Jack Brisco has sold his soul to the devil. The ink has barely dried on the paper of a new contract with Vince McMahon's WWWF, and the fans in Georgia, Florida and all points in between are already screaming "Why?". I'm inclined to ask the same question, though my colleagues here at Wrestling Revue roll their eyes and dismiss this development. "It's just business" they say, but I and a great many grappling fans know better. Brisco is running scared. He knew he couldn't match up with the stars in the mid-south, the Assassins always had his number, and that of his brother Gerry. He couldn't get it done in Florida either, where the new and exciting high-flyers could run rings around him. So he retreated to safer pastures, where the biggest threats to him were fellow fan favourites like Bruno Sammartino and Gorilla Monsoon. 

In a statement, WWWF chairman Vince McMahon had the following to say: "The WWWF welcomes Mr Brisco and the wealth of talent and in-ring knowledge he brings to the organisation. I look forward to working closely with him to promote some of the finest professional wrestling matches in the United States, and eventually, beyond."

Brisco is 28, and he is more suited to solving his problems on the canvas than by using a pen and lawyers - all traits needed for a successful wrestling promoter. Time will only tell just how much rope Mr McMahon will give him to inevitably hang himself with. 

IWE Looks for a Creative Vision
by Madison S Jardin

As Wrestling Revue's exclusive Japanese correspondent, my time is equally divided by both politics and by professional wrestling. It appears these two have mixed as International Wrestling Enterprise has put out a very public advertisement for their front office. Isao Yoshiwara has finally decided to delegate day-to-day operations to someone else, and frankly, with a roster including Strong Kobayashi and Thunder Sugiyama, they will have interested parties from across the world. 

TALES FROM THE LOCKER ROOM
by Randy B Gardner

The scoop this week? Wayne Bridges has been flapping his gums about earning over $8000 a month! He currently has an extensive tour of the United Kingdom, where I presume his tea and crumpets are covered. 

Otto Wanz has been featured in a bodybuilding magazine, the fearsome wrestler from Germany has only one weakness, he's that slow, when you see him coming, you have about a month to get away! MORE next week!

OOC:

I bought TEW IX on release day and it seems so much more forgiving for diary stuff. I hope you enjoy this, I have some big plans!

• Like 5

How many times has the WWE logo changed? - Quora

WWWF MAIN ROSTER

Champions

BrunoSammartino1.jpg.c81ee5b33ec4eb2aa4fbf76c56d66fa8.jpg

WWWF World Heavyweight Champion
Bruno Sammartino
(1st May 1963 to Present)

Battman1.jpg.8fea711f79176937c6e56a248366d563.jpgBrunoSammartino1.jpg.c81ee5b33ec4eb2aa4fbf76c56d66fa8.jpg

WWWF International Tag Team Champions
Battman & Bruno Sammartino
(1st December 1969 to Present)

BoboBrazil1.jpg.a93b1dd46cd6a384ed006e88101f1473.jpg

WWWF United States Heavyweight Champion
Bobo Brazil
(8th February 1969 to Present)

JohnnyDeFazio1.jpg.06cd1df35dd48fc2ec0701907b53621a.jpg

WWWF Junior Heavyweight Champion
Johnny DeFazio
(15th October 1965 to Present)

TheFabulousMoolah1.jpg.17f8b955f47a1ab0dff96ae2b058c9cf.jpg

WWWF Women's World Champion
The Fabulous Moolah
(1st April 1968 to Present)

Currently Inactive/Vacated Titles:
WWWF Women's Tag Team Championship (Set to be Retired)

Scientific Wrestlers (Babyfaces):
Battman
Bobo Brazil
Bruno Sammartino
Cowboy Bob Ellis
Danny Little Bear
Dominic DeNucci
Frank Holtz
Gene DuBois
Gorilla Monsoon
Jack Vanksy
Joe Crugnale
John L Sullivan
Johnny DeFazio
Mario Milano
Miguel Feliciano
Pete Sanchez
Victor Rivera
Willie Farkas

Rulebreakers (Heels)
Angelo Mosca
Baron Mikel Scicluna
Chuck Richards
Dick Brower
Eric the Red
Ernie Ladd
George Steele
Ivan Koloff
Jack Brisco
Jim Grabmire
Johnny Rodz
Karl Kovacs
Killer Kowalski
Lou Albano
Tony Altimore
Tony Angelo
Toru Tanaka
Waldo Von Erich

Women's Divison
Donna Christanello
Paula Kaye
Rita Boucher
The Fabulous Moolah
Toni Rose

Midgets
Billy the Kid
Cowboy Bradley
The Jamaica Kid
Little Beaver
Little Brutus
Sky Low Low

Referees
Dick Kroll
Dick Woehrle
Ed Gersh

Announcers
Bill Cardille

Road Agents/Office
Arnold Skaaland
Jack Brisco
Vince J McMahon

Initial thoughts:

Tag team wrestling is going to become a major play sooner rather than later, so we need to get some exciting teams together and the belts off of Battman and Bruno, as Bruno is already main eventing several times per month, and compared to the World Championship, the tag belts would be better off on a pair of up and comers. We also need to get some more recognisable babyfaces, as the heel roster is stacked with the likes of Ladd, Kowalski and Von Erich, all capable of main event programs. Perhaps a Jack Brisco turn, or Gorilla Monsoon? Or maybe some outside talent from Canada who doesn't mind travelling? 

All of our staff are on handshake deals, which is okay for the moment until someone starts ruffling feathers. I don't want to start dishing out written contracts when most of my roster will benefit from the experience and notoriety of working somewhere else. Once someone puts a fly in the ointment (I'm looking at YOU, James Crockett) then we'll have more than enough cash to start locking people in. It would be nice if we didn't have to though.

I'm looking seriously at approaching other companies to bolster our shows on the undercard - I'm not quite leaning towards rejoining the NWA yet, though I think with enough TV exposure (and cash) I might be able to convince them to send their champion to face mine. 

The only issue is convincing them who should go over. 

What do you think? 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, TardisMechanic said:

WWWF MAIN ROSTER

Champions

Bruno Sammartino

Battman1.jpg.8fea711f79176937c6e56a248366d563.jpgBrunoSammartino1.jpg.c81ee5b33ec4eb2aa4fbf76c56d66fa8.jpg

Bobo Brazil

Johnny DeFazio

The Fabulous Moolah

Battman
Bobo Brazil
Bruno Sammartino
Cowboy Bob Ellis
Danny Little Bear
Dominic DeNucci
Frank Holtz
Gene DuBois
Gorilla Monsoon
Jack Vanksy
Joe Crugnale
John L Sullivan
Johnny DeFazio
Mario Milano
Miguel Feliciano
Pete Sanchez
Victor Rivera
Willie Farkas

Rulebreakers (Heels)
Angelo Mosca
Baron Mikel Scicluna
Chuck Richards
Dick Brower
Eric the Red
Ernie Ladd
George Steele
Ivan Koloff
Jack Brisco
Jim Grabmire
Johnny Rodz
Karl Kovacs
Killer Kowalski
Lou Albano
Tony Altimore
Tony Angelo
Toru Tanaka
Waldo Von Erich

Women's Divison
Donna Christanello
Paula Kaye
Rita Boucher
The Fabulous Moolah
Toni Rose

Midgets
Billy the Kid
Cowboy Bradley
The Jamaica Kid
Little Beaver
Little Brutus
Sky Low Low

Referees
Dick Kroll
Dick Woehrle
Ed Gersh

Announcers
Bill Cardille

Road Agents/Office
Arnold Skaaland
Jack Brisco
Vince J McMahon

Initial thoughts:

Tag team wrestling is going to become a major play sooner rather than later, so we need to get some exciting teams together and the belts off of Battman and Bruno, as Bruno is already main eventing several times per month, and compared to the World Championship, the tag belts would be better off on a pair of up and comers. We also need to get some more recognisable babyfaces, as the heel roster is stacked with the likes of Ladd, Kowalski and Von Erich, all capable of main event programs. Perhaps a Jack Brisco turn, or Gorilla Monsoon? Or maybe some outside talent from Canada who doesn't mind travelling? 

All of our staff are on handshake deals, which is okay for the moment until someone starts ruffling feathers. I don't want to start dishing out written contracts when most of my roster will benefit from the experience and notoriety of working somewhere else. Once someone puts a fly in the ointment (I'm looking at YOU, James Crockett) then we'll have more than enough cash to start locking people in. It would be nice if we didn't have to though.

I'm looking seriously at approaching other companies to bolster our shows on the undercard - I'm not quite leaning towards rejoining the NWA yet, though I think with enough TV exposure (and cash) I might be able to convince them to send their champion to face mine. 

What do you think? 

Love Steele and Kowalski so much.  

Without knowing the mod you are using intimately it's hard to know who to recommend in 1970.  Names I can think of that might work as Babyfaces

Pedro Morales who should be mid to late 20's

Andre relocated to the US in 71 so you could maybe get him over a tad earlier

Dusty Rhodes would be about 25 and should be around somewhere.

Dory Funk Jr & Terry Funk should be out there somewhere.

Larry Henning bounced between face and heel and should be over in the AWA.

The Fabulous Kangaroos - Al Costello, Roy Heffernen, Don Kent, Bruno Bekkar should all be active.

The Kiwis/The Sheepherders/The Bushwackers - Luke Williams & Butch Miller can be face or heel

Don Leo Jonathon the Mormon Giant should be somewhere in Canada.

John Tolos is probably on the West Coast

Mark Lewin

Chief Billy White wolf (who of course was an Iraqi not a Native American) 

Jerry Brisco

King Curtis Iaukea turned face in the 70's

Larry O'Dea & Ron Miller

Mario Milano

Sweet Daddy Siki

Spiros Arion

Markeeta Little Wolf

Paul Graham (useless trivia Arnold Schwarzenegger was his Best Man at his wedding) he would be active at this point and beign a bodybuilder has what would become the WWF look

In real life Tony Garea joins in 72 but that could happen earlier.

Backlund, Randy Savage and Sgt Slaughter all start in the next couple of years.  

Jack Brisco could obviously be turned face.

Oh and  heel suggestions

The Minnesota Wrecking Crew of Lars, Ole & Gene Anderson should be around.  

Tiger Jeet Singh

• Like 1

Will be following this keenly, love this era! 

In terms of hires I'd love to see, as a face bringing Wahoo McDaniel back to the company following his retirement from football would be great. On the heel side, Pampero Firpo is a couple of years away from WWWF irl but could definitely come in a do a job now before he gets a bit too old

• Like 1

I really love this mod and I’m looking forward to see what you do with it.

When I was planning my own WWWF 1970 save, I planned to bring in Wahoo McDaniel, Pedro Morales, Argentina Apollo, Spiros Arion, Billy Robinson and Mil Mascaras to lean into Vince Sr’s penchant for pushing regional ethnic babyfaces - so definitely consider some or all of them.

The only issue is that none of them are really promo guys but there are definitely options for that too, as face or heel - the likes of Billy Graham, Nick Bockwinkel and the Blond Bombers would be great, even if most of them are better as heels.

Edited by blaustein
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, alpha2117 said:

Love Steele and Kowalski so much.  

Without knowing the mod you are using intimately it's hard to know who to recommend in 1970.  Names I can think of that might work as Babyfaces

Pedro Morales who should be mid to late 20's

Andre relocated to the US in 71 so you could maybe get him over a tad earlier

Dusty Rhodes would be about 25 and should be around somewhere.

Dory Funk Jr & Terry Funk should be out there somewhere.

Larry Henning bounced between face and heel and should be over in the AWA.

The Fabulous Kangaroos - Al Costello, Roy Heffernen, Don Kent, Bruno Bekkar should all be active.

The Kiwis/The Sheepherders/The Bushwackers - Luke Williams & Butch Miller can be face or heel

Don Leo Jonathon the Mormon Giant should be somewhere in Canada.

John Tolos is probably on the West Coast

Mark Lewin

Chief Billy White wolf (who of course was an Iraqi not a Native American) 

Jerry Brisco

King Curtis Iaukea turned face in the 70's

Larry O'Dea & Ron Miller

Mario Milano

Sweet Daddy Siki

Spiros Arion

Markeeta Little Wolf

Paul Graham (useless trivia Arnold Schwarzenegger was his Best Man at his wedding) he would be active at this point and beign a bodybuilder has what would become the WWF look

In real life Tony Garea joins in 72 but that could happen earlier.

Backlund, Randy Savage and Sgt Slaughter all start in the next couple of years.  

Jack Brisco could obviously be turned face.

Oh and  heel suggestions

The Minnesota Wrecking Crew of Lars, Ole & Gene Anderson should be around.  

Tiger Jeet Singh

Thank you for the suggestions! As a reault, the WWWF has made contract offers to the following:

Andre the Giant
Jerry Brisco
Dave Brown
Eddie Sharkey
JJ Dillon
Jimmy Snuka
Judy Grable
Marc Rocco
Pat Roach
Tiger Chung Lee
Villano III
Dusty Rhodes
Pedro Morales
Mark Lewin
Mr Wrestling II 
Gary Hart
Terry Funk
Whipper Billy Watson 

And I've tested the waters with Nick Bockwinkel, who instantly wanted a higher merchandise percentage, which I've agreed to. Let's see if he bites! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TardisMechanic said:

WWWF MAIN ROSTER

Champions

Bruno Sammartino

Bobo Brazil

Johnny DeFazio

The Fabulous Moolah

Battman
Bobo Brazil
Bruno Sammartino
Cowboy Bob Ellis
Danny Little Bear
Dominic DeNucci
Frank Holtz
Gene DuBois
Gorilla Monsoon
Jack Vanksy
Joe Crugnale
John L Sullivan
Johnny DeFazio
Mario Milano
Miguel Feliciano
Pete Sanchez
Victor Rivera
Willie Farkas

Rulebreakers (Heels)
Angelo Mosca
Baron Mikel Scicluna
Chuck Richards
Dick Brower
Eric the Red
Ernie Ladd
George Steele
Ivan Koloff
Jack Brisco
Jim Grabmire
Johnny Rodz
Karl Kovacs
Killer Kowalski
Lou Albano
Tony Altimore
Tony Angelo
Toru Tanaka
Waldo Von Erich

Women's Divison
Donna Christanello
Paula Kaye
Rita Boucher
The Fabulous Moolah
Toni Rose

Midgets
Billy the Kid
Cowboy Bradley
The Jamaica Kid
Little Beaver
Little Brutus
Sky Low Low

Referees
Dick Kroll
Dick Woehrle
Ed Gersh

Announcers
Bill Cardille

Road Agents/Office
Arnold Skaaland
Jack Brisco
Vince J McMahon

Initial thoughts:

What do you think? 

Who or what is battman and why do I feel like dc or national publications at this time are gonna sue vince's pants off? And if your getting rid of the women's tag title can you replace with a wwwf midget's Championship? If you gotta division for them you might as well give them a belt to fight over.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, sonny912 said:

Who or what is battman and why do I feel like dc or national publications at this time are gonna sue vince's pants off? And if your getting rid of the women's tag title can you replace with a wwwf midget's Championship? If you gotta division for them you might as well give them a belt to fight over.

I think that would be an interesting dynamic for TEW, copyright issues. I can imagine a very young Jerry McDevitt saying "There are two T's in the name and the mask with the large ears on top are merely mimicking an actual bat"

Then Battman would be expected to wrestle his next match exclusively via sound. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sonny912 said:

I want more news on the Midgets. Do not dare overlook this vital arm of your roster!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, TardisMechanic said:

Thank you for the suggestions! As a reault, the WWWF has made contract offers to the following:

Andre the Giant
Jerry Brisco
Dave Brown
Eddie Sharkey
JJ Dillon
Jimmy Snuka
Judy Grable
Marc Rocco
Pat Roach
Tiger Chung Lee
Villano III
Dusty Rhodes
Pedro Morales
Mark Lewin
Mr Wrestling II 
Gary Hart
Terry Funk
Whipper Billy Watson 

And I've tested the waters with Nick Bockwinkel, who instantly wanted a higher merchandise percentage, which I've agreed to. Let's see if he bites! 

There are some excellent choices there.  Is Paul Graham in that mod ... man I remember him as a kid - he had the WWE look before there was a WWE look and a ton of charisma and actually was pretty decent in ring but in game he would be someone for whom wrestling was secondary - he would be sharing a flat with Arnie at this point in time and competing in bodybuilding as well as working for WCW in Australia for runs (they would bring people in and out for about 3 month runs - guys like Andre and a lot I mentioned). I've always wondered what would have happened if Vince had been making choices rather than his dad because I get the feeling Paul Graham might have been Hulk Hogan before Hulk Hogan.  

• 2 weeks later...

ON THE DESK OF JACK BRISCO
The TEWIX World in Summary
(If you'd like some ambience: https://youtu.be/xXZDKpfdKCM

AWA Forms a New Stable
In a handwritten note: "Jack, AWA have put Bill Watts, Harley, the Dillingers and Larry Hennig in a stable called "The Block" - LOL
Jack has no idea what LOL means. 

New Champions:
Gene Kiniski new ASW Pacific Champion, previously vacant
Charlie Laye new City of Mobile Champion, defeating Bob Boyer

Gossip and Scandal:
Verne Gagne no longer the figurehead of the company he owns - Mr Brisco unsure who signed that other than Gerne Vagne
Jim Crockett has no faith in Mr Wrestling as their top star - If he's unhappy, is it worth sending out feelers? 
St Louis Wrestling Club and Jim Crockett making friendly overtures - bears watching

• Haha 1