The Maple Leaf Pro Thread

Jaysin

Scott D'Amore is making waves with the push for his new promotion, Maple Leaf Pro Wrestling or MLP. The roster for the first two shows is pretty awesome so far. Here are some of the announcements. 

May be an image of 1 person and text

May be an image of 6 people and text

• Like 5

Love that they're putting Alexander front and center for the tapings. He's local and a great talent. Could really carry that company.

Mauro Ranallo is a huge get as well. 

Doesn't Canada have funding/protections for Canadian programming (for example, in the 1991 Broadcasting Act)? I remember WWE famously ran Canadian-only shows to get around that.

I'm sure it at least won't hurt MLP to have government support.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

Doesn't Canada have funding/protections for Canadian programming (for example, in the 1991 Broadcasting Act)? I remember WWE famously ran Canadian-only shows to get around that.

I'm sure it at least won't hurt MLP to have government support.

The Broadcasting Act I don't think includes funding programs (could be wrong), and if there is it would be related to things being broadcast so they would need a Broadcast deal of some sort in place with a Canadian Broadcaster. There are definitely funding programs from both Federal and Provincial governments they could apply for though. The BA is mostly rules and regulations to what broadcasters (TV, Radio, Internet) can broadcast. Also partially to deal with those broadcasters remaining Canadian owned amongst other things.

One thing it contains is rules on Canadian Content meaning all Canadian Broadcasters must have a certain percent of content that was made/produced/financed in Canada. Which is what WWF has occasionally gotten around with Canadian-only shows. Like in the mid 80's by airing WWF Superstars in syndication in Canada under the name Maple Leaf Wrestling. Which was the TV show of the recently acquired Queensbury Athletic Club (colloquially known as Maple Leaf Wrestling) formally owned by the Tunneys', that although owned by WWF was operating as a separate entity and I think by that point no longer putting on shows. WWF would then replace a match, typically main event, with a match taped in Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto that wouldn't air on any other show. Those things allowed the show to be classed as Canadian Content and have an easier time airing.

Edited by Sartagis
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sartagis said:

The Broadcasting Act I don't think includes funding programs (could be wrong), and if there is it would be related to things being broadcast so they would need a Broadcast deal of some sort in place with a Canadian Broadcaster. There are definitely funding programs from both Federal and Provincial governments they could apply for though. The BA is mostly rules and regulations to what broadcasters (TV, Radio, Internet) can broadcast. Also partially to deal with those broadcasters remaining Canadian owned amongst other things.

One thing it contains is rules on Canadian Content meaning all Canadian Broadcasters must have a certain percent of content that was made/produced/financed in Canada. Which is what WWF has occasionally gotten around with Canadian-only shows. Like in the mid 80's by airing WWF Superstars in syndication in Canada under the name Maple Leaf Wrestling. Which was the TV show of the recently acquired Queensbury Athletic Club (colloquially known as Maple Leaf Wrestling) formally owned by the Tunneys', that although owned by WWF was operating as a separate entity and I think by that point no longer putting on shows. WWF would then replace a match, typically main event, with a match taped in Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto that wouldn't air on any other show. Those things allowed the show to be classed as Canadian Content and have an easier time airing.

I vaguely remember Trailer Park Boys getting some help from the Canadian Government with stuff like funding, but I could be wrong about that. Either way, I was very impressed with the support the show got from the Canadian public. 

Really excited for Maple Leaf Pro. Scott D'Amore did a really good job as head of TNA, looking forward to see what he can do in Canada.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MightyDavidson said:

Apparently the first match announced for Maple Leaf Pro's inaugural show is Josh Alexander vs Konosuke Takeshita.  Or that's what I read on Facebook at least.  If that's true the show has an amazing main event.

It's legit. The MLP facebook posted it today. I really wish they had used the Maximum Pro Wrestling name they copyrighted instead of Maple Leaf Pro, but I understand the history and significance of the Maple Leaf Wrestling as a brand.