[FREEWARE] Resource: Geo Tag Countries

I was searching if there were any other mods with geo tags yet to match my tags. Since I didn't find anything, I share mine to spare others the tedius work and speed up the process of creating countries/venues.

These databases contain only Locations (countries, states/provinces/oblasts/counterparts, cities), sorted by game world regions.

All have brief wiki descriptions with the basic info - what, where, population, noteworthy factors for potential attendance (tourism, sports culture, pop density, traffic) and importance - and the relevant geo tags.

The tags follow the same structure: Country & Language are the default tags, the rest is used for secondary languages and a more detailed geographical split. With this structure, companies can be allowed to expand in regions outside their base (i.e. a tiny French company/Western Europe can go to French Swiss/Central Europe, but not non-French speaking regions) or restrict a company within a country to a region (i.e. a Russian company stays in the Moscow area and doesn't randomly run shows in Siberia).

Everything displays as "Company held Show in Vienna, Austria" for cities, and "Company held Show in Leningrad Oblast, Russia" for larger regions. In the database, the order is switched ("Austria - Vienna", "Russia - Leningrad Oblast" and so on) to have all locations within a country together.

To quickly create venues within the regions, you can open an entry, save & continue, then switch to Venue and add in the details for the building.

So far, I have:

EASTERN EUROPE - 312 Locations (145 in Russia, 167 in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Ukraine)

NORTHERN EUROPE - 108 Locations in Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Sweden, Norway

EASTERN-CENTRAL EUROPE - 131 Locations in Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia, Hungary, Czech Republic, Poland (+ Kaliningrad)

CENTRAL EUROPE - 88 Locations in Austria, Liechtenstein, Germany, Switzerland (+1 Italian enclave)

IBERIA - 88 Locations in Andorra, Gibraltar, Portugal, Spain

SOUTHERN MEDITERRANEAN - 118 Locations in Malta, Cyprus, Greece, Turkey, Italy, San Marino, Vatican City

SOUTHERN EUROPE - 166 in Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Romania, Kosovo, North-Macedonia, Montenegro, Bulgaria, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia

CANADA - 33 Locations

I'll add the rest of Europe and basic US tags as I go. This is what I use for my mod, so I won't do the other continents (except maybe Australia later on). This is freeware (just credit, please) and meant to be used as a framework for creating detailed countries/regions. Everything is functional as it is, so if you don't want/need Venues, this is playable and can be used to fill out databases that just need any places to run shows.

LD-Geo-CANADA.zip LD-Geo-CentralEurope.zip LD-Geo-EasternCentral.zip LD-Geo-EasternEurope.zip LD-Geo-Iberia.zip LD-Geo-NorthernEurope.zip

LD-Geo-Mediterranean.zip

LD-Geo-Russia.zip

LD-Geo-SouthernEurope.zip

Edited by GrindhouseArts
added Southern Europe
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• GrindhouseArts changed the title to [FREEWARE] Resource: Geo Tag Countries
2 minutes ago, TheWho87 said:

Is there a reason they are all separate as opposed to being in one database?

I release them gradually in my mod topic. Other than that, no, they can all be merged. If there are doubles, it's because the location is in a different region than its country (enclaves like Kaliningrad).

• Like 1

Just thought it would be easier that's all, I'm currently working through the geo tags for locations in my mod, I'm working using a system of

Country
State/Provive/Region
City/Town

And I'm having to go back in and seperate things out when I find doubles and it's an utter pain, epecally with a lack of geo tag filtering.

• Like 1

Yeah, I wish we had a 'has no geo tags' filter at least. I already have ~1k locations in my 2020 database and now just tag them. It would be a lot easier if I could see if I skipped one.

I'll do a complete zip once I have all regions done. Shouldn't take too long. I only got Southern & Western Europe to go, and USA which is a cakewalk in comparison because I don't need to fill in languages.

First Question: Why has a location like Berlin and many others a capacity of 100,000?
Since the geotag thing is for small, tiny and Insignificant Promotions, wouldn't 1000 or even lower be enough?

2nd Question: For Example, if Promotion B is based in Central Europe (Berlin) wouldn't it make more sense to have a System of: 
- District → Insignificant
- City → Local
- Country → small 

For Berlin, it could be something like that 
- Berlin-Mitte → Berlin → Germany
- District → City → Country

When Promotion B hits Medium Size, it can go anywhere within the Central Europe Region.
Because as of now with your mod I can choose Germany as Insignificant Level which makes no sense and I can't for some reason chose Berlin.

I'm a little confused by this system, since I believe Locations and Venues should be separated.

Edited by Marinho88

First answer: There are not many with high attendances (major cities like Berlin, Paris, Madrid, Istanbul and so on). It's places that can and do draw huge crowds for sports and entertainment events and have the infrastructure for that. Most of the locations are under 30k, many even under 10k. Capitals are generally higher than the rest of their countries, except for major tourist locations (which have infrastructure and would be places people travel to for events, so those attendances are higher than the country's average).

Second answer: Sure it would make sense, but I'm not intimately familiar with the districts of every city ever, so I leave the micro level to people who are. I added the bigger cities and general regions to have a framework. In Europe, this means I want to keep companies in a country or a geographical region that makes sense, i.e. running shows in places where audiences speak the same language or that are geographically/culturally close even if it's a different game region (i.e. Baltics staying in the northern part of Europe). This is freeware so people can tweak and add to this. It's not meant to be a complete detailed map with every district and outskirt.

Not sure what you mean by "Locations and Venues should be separated" because there aren't any Venues in my files (except 1 stadium in Kaliningrad). Everything is a Location.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GrindhouseArts said:

Not sure what you mean by "Locations and Venues should be separated" because there aren't any Venues in my files (except 1 stadium in Kaliningrad). Everything is a Location.

This has nothing to do with the mod. I think it would be better with the new System if they had separated the two. 
So you have a Locations Tab with the Regions pre-existing, so you choose "Great Lakes" and then add some Locations.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Marinho88 said:

This has nothing to do with the mod. I think it would be better with the new System if they had separated the two. 
So you have a Locations Tab with the Regions pre-existing, so you choose "Great Lakes" and then add some Locations.

Oh, yeah, that would be very useful. I guess that's the structure I'm trying to make here - just save some clicks if you want a Venue in Berlin, and not having to type/search the relevant tags.

Venues are still very disappointing. I was hoping there'd be more details for them - High Ceilings (can't do ladder matches/high spot aim), Music Hot Spot (slightly boosts production with in-house sound system), Highly Moral Owner (doesn't rent to risque/hardcore companies), Outdoors/No Locker Room (decreases Backstage Morale because nobody likes to change in a random tent on a beach). Stuff like that plays a huge role in picking venues irl and it's not represented at all in the game. So I stick to what I know (languages & geography) because the other thing I know (factors that influence Venue choices) isn't possible to do anyway.

3 hours ago, GrindhouseArts said:

Venues are still very disappointing. I was hoping there'd be more details for them - High Ceilings (can't do ladder matches/high spot aim), Music Hot Spot (slightly boosts production with in-house sound system), Highly Moral Owner (doesn't rent to risque/hardcore companies), Outdoors/No Locker Room (decreases Backstage Morale because nobody likes to change in a random tent on a beach). Stuff like that plays a huge role in picking venues irl and it's not represented at all in the game. So I stick to what I know (languages & geography) because the other thing I know (factors that influence Venue choices) isn't possible to do anyway.

Feel free to add that in the Suggestion Thread, I did one yesterday for Venues and Location ^^