Wrestling Spirit: The Reviews

The following is a listing of the reviews you can find of the game.

Where: Operation Sports

Rating: 4 out of 5

What They Said: “Wrestling Spirit: Rookie to Legend” delivers the ingredients needed to let your imagination run wild, and immerse you into the career of an up-and-coming wrestler. There are times that you feel like you're stuck in the middle of a re-occurring dream, but with a little bit of patience, you can have a lot of fun with this title. This game is a good time-killer for a quick break from the repetition of work, or something that can be enjoyed for a couple hours at home or on the road. If you enjoy text games, this one is right up your alley - even if you really don’t care for professional wrestling. If you have never given a text game a shot, this is a good place to start. Congratulations to Adam Ryland and Grey Dog Software for delivering a winner."

Where: GameSpy

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

What They Said: "Games like SmackDown vs. Raw do an admirable game of embracing the simulation aspects of wrestling, making Wrestling Spirit's job more difficult. The fact that simulating show results and building up your character takes too long doesn't help matters. But, the ability to show the climb from rookie to respectability is -- and I'm speaking from experience -- both ambitious and accurate. It's also a good example of grassroots development in a genre that really suits it, as the game is available exclusively from Grey Dog Software's site. Support the little guy, and maybe this company too will climb up the ranks."

Where: Wrestling101

Rating: 8 out of 10

What They Said:"For me, there’s no competition as to which is the best wrestling game out in time for Christmas. Smackdown! Vs Raw might have the WWE’s backing which will guarantee plenty of sales, but people in the know will realise that WreSpi is a better proposition altogether. As I said earlier in this review, you’ve probably never played a game like this. Not many titles can boast that they’ve totally shaken up the genre, but Wrestling Spirit is one that can make that claim with ease. It’s the thinking man’s wrestling game, pitting the gamer against tricky AI, while still remaining fun to play. It’s deep, but you can still have fun playing the game for only a few minutes at a time. It’s difficult, but you’ll certainly win a few matches if you know what you’re doing. I have a few problems with the game, such as the lack of backstage interaction, but not anything major that would make me avoid the game. From the reaction I’ve gauged online, I think a few people were a bit cautious about Adam Ryland moving out of the environment that he’s tried and tested in. I can assure these people that they have nothing to worry about, because Wrestling Spirit is a brilliant addition to his CV, and would make a wonderful Christmas present, aside from the fact that it’s difficult to put in a stocking or wrap, due to the fact that you need to download the game."

Where: The Interactive Interview

Rating: 5 out of 5

What They Said: This game runs the gamut of the professional wrestling universe. However if you are looking for an arcadey or fighting game then stay away. This game is about strategy in the ring, the graphics are minimal compared to Smackdown vs. Raw and it is most associated with the psychology of a match. The only complaint I had with this game was that Ryland didn't go in-depth enough with the backstage politics such as being able to hold OTHER wrestlers down. I thought that might be fun. But of course, this is like complaining about the glove compartment on a ferrari. If you're a Ryland fan then you already have this game, if not then check it out at http://www.greydogsoftware.com . It's phenomenal.

Where: Game Spot

Rating: 7.3 out of 10

What They Said: Calling Wrestling Spirit the best professional-wrestling management simulation available for the PC may seem like damning the game with faint praise, but this is one excellent sports sim regardless of the diminutive size of the genre. Designer Adam Ryland, a wrestling expert best known for Total Extreme Wrestling, and publisher Grey Dog Software have put together a captivating look at life inside the squared circle. And although living the career of a Triple H wannabe makes the game more frivolous than the usual stat-heavy sports sim, the absence of serious depth is offset by the entertainment value of role-playing a muscle-bound freak who bashes people over the head with chairs for a living.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...