Ricky Steamboat | Before The Dragon

Guest .SVA

[IMG]http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/5033/rickstamboatpd3.jpg[/IMG] Probably one of the greatest wrerstlers in history, [B]Ricky Steamboat[/B] has already had an illustrious career. In his early days he was known as [B]Sam Steamboat Jr.[/B] and wrestled quality matches for the [B]American Wrestling Association[/B]. He build up his reputation, before settling with a new name, Ricky Steamboat and heading to the [B]NWA[/B]; namely [B]Mid-Atlantic Cchampionship Wrestling[/B]. He was recommended by [B]Wahoo McDaniel[/B] and was quickly billed as his on-screen protege. In the ring was fast and furious, quickly eliminating opponents with a martial-arts like fighting style, though still brining up some quality wrestling. After performing eccentric matches and doing many great performances, he made it to the top and become one of MACW biggest stars. Now after spending six years in this promotion, Steamboat already holds and impressive championship record. He has been a three-time NWA Mid-Atlantic United States Tag Team champion; two times with [B]Paul Jones[/B] and one time with [B]Jay Youngblood[/B]. He also holds a record of being a two time NWA Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Champion, and one-time NWA United States Heavyweight. But his highest success comes with his four-time acqusition of the NWA World Tag Team Championship, where he is also the current reigning along with before mentioned Jay Youngblood. Ricky Steamboat already holds an impressice resumé in the world of wrestling, and will without a shadow of a doubt catch the eye of the ever-growing [B]World Wrestling Federation[/B]. If this happens, it will by far not be a dent in the record, because is .. [RIGHT][IMG]http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9559/rickythedragonsteamboataf1.jpg[/IMG] [I].. Ricky Steamboat destined to become [B]The Dragon[/B]?[/I][/RIGHT]

[CENTER][B][U]Tuesday, Week 1 of May[/U][/B] [B](1983)[/B][/CENTER] [I]I had been informed earlier that I had a match tonight. Against [B]Harley Race[/B]. In some way I had always wanted to be pitted against him. As I drove to the arena, alongside my tag team partner [B]Jay Youngblood[/B], we talked a bit of Race. As we entered the back of the arena, I saw Harley and quickly got his attention. We got to talking as we entered the locker-room.[/I] [B]Ricky Steamboat:[/B] "So Harley, youre ready for our match?" [B]Harley Race:[/B] "Off course I am. I wanted to ask you something though. Are you ready to give it your all in the ring? Because I want to put on a clinique out there. And I wondered if you would be in on it?" [B]Steamboat:[/B] "Off course I will. We should just prunce out to the ring and really steal the evening. Make sure that everybody really want's to come and watch again. That would be great, I agree with you on that point, Harley." [B]Race:[/B] "Great. Now when that bell rings, we gonna go full out, okay?" [B]Steamboat:[/B] "Yeah." [I]The ready bell rang and me and Harley walked out fo the locker-room. Harley emerged first to recieve good heat. As I began walking down the aisle, the crowd cheered and popped. It was a great feeling, and as I entered the ring I lifted my arms high in the air to get the crowd pumped. The match was ready to get started ..[/I] [QUOTE][RIGHT][B]Harley Race[/B] v. [B]Ricky Steamboat[/B] [SIZE="1"][I]at MACW In Your Town![/I][/SIZE][/RIGHT] [SIZE="1"]Early in the match, the momentum shifted very quickly, without being one-sided. Various headlocks and facelocks were used and both chops and elbow drops was a frequent sight. Mid-match, it was still unclear who had the advatge as both men had ushered to various dangerous moves, with Harley Race having had the most effective; a Title-A-Whril Backbreaker. But it did'nt seem that Steamboat was about to give up anytime soon. Suddenly, he landed a kick to the gut of Race and quickly hit a suplex. This proved to be a decieving factor, as after this Harley could'nt seem to really get back in the match. Until he reversed a side headlock, landed a Race Knee Drop and was about to do a seated hammer. Again, Steamboat turned the tide and got the momentum back in his favour. After a corner whip and a turnbuckle smash, Steamboat landed a high-cross body and almost had the three count. The first pinfall attempt came after 25 minutes! Steamboat did'nt slow down though and hit another suplex, before trying to lock in a figure four leglock! Harley kicked out though and went on the offense. This did'nt last long though as Steamboat moved away from a headbutt attempt and grabbed Race to hit a side suplex. Again Race blocked the firgure four attempt, but Steamboat kept the foucs and stayed on the attack. Suddenly, Steamboat turned Harley and locked in a boston crab! Even though Race was in pain, he managed to escape. Suddenly, Ricky climbed the top rope and put it all on the line, but going for the Steamboat Flying Body Press. But he missed! Race was quick into the pin attempt, but Steamboat managed to kick out in the lat second. Race dragged Steamboat up and went for gutwrench backbreaker, but suddenly Steamboat fell on the top of Race, into a pinfall, which only generated a one count. After Harley managed to get some air-time and land some moves on Steamboat, Ricky suddenly hit a back suplex and quickly climbed the top turnbuckle. He landed a flying chop as Harley stood up, then hit a forearm blow, only to climb back up on the turnbuckle but missed a missile dropkick. Harley looked to end the match with an indian deathlock, but Steamboat fought out and locked in an abdominal strectch, which ended with an escape shortly after. This time, Steamboat was lightning quick up the turnbuckle and this time he hit his flying body press finisher perfectly. After a three count on the pinfall, Steamboat celebrated his victory.[/SIZE] [B]Winner:[/B] Ricky Steamboat [B]Match Rating: [COLOR="Lime"]B+[/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE] [QUOTE][CENTER][I][B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]MACW[/COLOR][/B] In Your Town! Result Card[/I] [SIZE="1"][B]Ric Flair[/B] d. [B]Jack Brisco[/B] to retain the [I]NWA World Heavyweight Championship[/I]. [B][I]Ricky Steamboat[/I][/B] d. [B]Harley Race[/B] [B]Dory Funk Jr.[/B] d. [B]Nikita Volkoff[/B] to retain the [I]Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Championship[/I]. [B]Greg Valentine[/B] d. [B]Roddy Piper[/B] to retain the [I]NWA United States Heavyweight Championship[/I]. [B]Wahoo McDaniel[/B] d. [B]Jerry Brisco[/B] [B]Dick Slater[/B] d. [B]Bob Orton Jr.[/B] [B]One Man Gang[/B] and [B]Assasin 2[/B] d. [B]Royal[/B] and [B]Mark Youngblood[/B] for the [i]Mid-Atlantic United States Tag Team Championships[/i]. [B]Jay Youngblood[/B] d. [B]Assasin[/B] [B]Rufus R. Jones[/B] and [B]Bugsy McGraw[/B] went on to a time limit draw with [B]Kiniski[/B] and [B]South[/B] [B]The Great Kabuki[/B] d. [B]Angelo Mosca Jr.[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER][/QUOTE]

Ricky Steamboat (nee Richard Blood) was a tremendous worker in the ring and was very well liked. Ric Flair had nothing but high praise when he talked about him and their matches together in his book. He now works behind the scenes for WWE. Does this mean the end of your dynasty with Iron Sheik?

[QUOTE=captainlou]Ricky Steamboat (nee Richard Blood) was a tremendous worker in the ring and was very well liked.[/QUOTE] I love how ya always gotta point out the wrestlers real name. lol .SVA i'm looking forward to this one, I liked your shiek one, but I'm a much bigger Steamboat fan.

[CENTER][B][U]Saturday, Week 1 of May[/U] (1983)[/B][/CENTER] [I]This time it was a televised show. MACW's [B]Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling[/B] programming. And me and [B]Jay Youngblood[/B] had a title defense against [B]The Brisco Brothers[/B]. I had seen both of heir matches, last tuesday, and I most say. I'm was very impressed. Jack Brisco and [B]Ric Flair[/B] made it a match of the night and stole the show, last time they fought it out. And now it was me and Jay against them. I was already anxious to get in the ring. Jay was really a great tag team partnerand I knew that we would take it to them. As we entered the arena, we saw Jack Brisco come towards us.[/I] [B]Jack Brisco:[/B] "Hey Richard. I saw your match with Harley last tuesday, and I must say, I enjoyed it. You two really managed to work a great match." [B]Ricky Steamboat:[/B] "Thanks Jack. But, where is Jerry?" [B]Jack Brisco:[/B] "Oh, he's in the locker-room, changing to his wrestling attire. We should do that too." [I]We all three ventured to the locker-room and greeted Jerry, as we began changing. We talked about the match and detailed a few things. Jay was quite active and came with some good suggestions. As the ready bell rang, we settled upon everything and went out to the aisle. Me and Jay came out first to some good cheers, but so did the Briscos. Both teams were fan favourites ..[/I] [QUOTE][RIGHT][B]The Brisco Brothers[/B] v. [B]Steamboat & Youngblood[/B] [SIZE="1"]At MACW Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling[/SIZE][/RIGHT] [SIZE="1"]Steamboat and Jack Brisco started out the bout. Ar first it was all Jack, who grounded Steamboat. But slowly Ricky got back to his feet and begna to build momentum. But just as Steamboat was beginning to take advantage, Jack came back in the match and took control. After the seven minute count, Jack was quick to tag in Jerry. He dominated Steamboat and you could see it was necessarry that Ricky got the tag from Youngblood, if they should stay in the game. After a small comeback, Steamboat managed to tag out and Youngblood came in the bout. It seemed that he was able to shift the momentum into his teams favour, but after Youngblood had miscounted his advantage and had taken the time to pose, Jerry got back in the game and began to ground Jay, just like he had did Steamboat. But suddenly youngblood fought out of Brisco hold and got back in the bout with vicious chops. Just as it seemed that Youngblood had gained a good advantage, Jerry tagged out to Jack. But YOungblood was quick back on the attack and took control again. Though, after a failed bodyslam, Jack was back on the advantage. But again it seemed that Youngblood was able to fight his way back! After he hit a gutwrench suplex. Youngblood tried to take control with arm bars, but Jack fought out of them all, until Youngblood hit a bodyslam and tagged out to Steamboat and they were able to hit a double suplex. Af Steamboat tried had got in the game, Jack suddenly reversed everything with a brutal half nelson takedown. Steeamboat was ablt to take control again with a bodyslam, but Jack fought out of a head scissor as both men got up. But Steamboat was only to be sent down again, with a firemans carry takedown. Jack went for a spinning head scissors, but Steamboat blocked it, though Jack was still able to keep on the offense. Again he used he hallf nelson takedown, then applied a wresnching head scissor. It looked as if Steamboat momentum had completely stalled, until he suddenly was ablt to hit a spinning head scissors of his own! This threw Jack off and Steamboat rapidly came back into the match. But after a failed dropkick attempt and Jack began ushering a driving body scissors, Stemboat was back on the defence. But as Jack wanted to tag out to Jerry, Steamboat grabbed him and pulled him back and whipped Jack into the corner, where he tried for a corner dropkick. But it was reversed and countered into a monkey flip. And suddenly Jack Brisco was able to lock in the Brisco Figure Four Leglock! Steamboat was on the verge of tapping, but Youngblood came and made the save. After Steamboat missed another dropkick, Jack tried to tag out. But again Steamboat pulled him back and hit a bodyslam. But as Steamboat tried to tag out, it was Jack that pulled Ricky back. Now he was on the attack. After Jack hit a double arm belly to belly suplex, Steamboat fought of a Spinning Toe Hold to get back on the offense. He hit a few elboe drops, before trying to lock in a boston crab, but a kick to the back avoided it and Jack got back on the offensesive. Suddenly, Jack locked in his version of the abdominal stretch, but again Youngblood was ablt to make the save. After a quick dropkcik, Steamboat was finally able to tag out. He quickly tried a knee drop, but Jack moved! Then Jack managed to tag out to Jerry. Now Youngblood was dominant, with arm wringers and chops. He got Jerry down with a brutal knif edge shop, and began using chinlocks, petting high pressure on them. Until Jerry moved away from knee drop and got back in the bout. He locked in a straddled arm bar, before trying a driving body scissors which Youngblood broke. Youngblood was up and tried a flying forearm, but Jerry countered it with a drop toe hold. Jay was quick back on the attack and he broke out of a head scissor. Both men got up, but Jerry was quickly down again after taking a tomahawk chop. Youngblood locked in a spinning toe hold, but Jerry fought out. A double chest chop sent Jerry down again, where Jay went for an elbow drop, but Jerry moved. Jerry began building up a little steam, before Youngblood again took the upper hand. But Jay's momentum was stopped when Jerry countered a high cross body into a monkey flip. But again Jay broke out of the body scissors and got back in action. He locked in a sleepr hold to further his advantage, before climbing the turnbuckles and going for a flying tomahwak chop, but missed! Jerry Brisco was then able to tag in Jack Brisco and he took control. It did'nt last long as Youngblood slipped out of a side headlock and alnded a dropkick. He climbed the turnbuckles once again and this he hit a second rope dropckick. Afterwards, both men got up and Jay landed a flying forearm to the face of Jack. Jack got a a little taste of dominance, until Jay took control again with a bodyslam. After Brisco countered chop into a double arm takedown, he suddenly locked in an indian deathlock! Just as it seemed that Jay was about to tap, Steamboat rushed in and made the save. Jack went fora belly to belly, but Jat countered it with a slap to the chest. He landed several chops, before tagging in Steamboat, which was quickly up the turnbuckles and went fora flying elbow drop, but Jack moved and tagged in Jerry. Jerry saw his chance and locked in a figure four which was thought broken up by Jay Youngblood. Suddenly, Jerry was able to land Thesz Press and nearly get the three count. Steamboat slipped out of a sleeper hold and managed to hit a back suplex, but Jerry countered the incoming boston crab attempt and landed a belly to belly suplex. He went for the fiure four again, but Steamboat foguht out. Following was a show of counter holds until Steamboat hit a savage bodyslam, arose the turnbuckles but missed the flying elbow drop. Though still he managed to fight out of an indian deathlock attempt. Steamboat sudenly went bezerk and barraged Jerry with all kinds of moves and it seemed that he had gained the advantage, until he tried hitting a chop from the top rope. Jerry moved and tried a sleeper hold, but Steamboat had the presence of mind to fight out of it. Steamboat got behind Jerry and went for a checken wing submission, but Jerry fought out bounced off the ropes and Steamboat countered with a high backdrop. He went for a fiigure four leglock, but Jerry just managed to get to the ropes. Both mnen got up and the crowd erupted into a applause as the men stared eahc other down. Again Steamboat hit a savage bodyslam and went for a flying elbow drop, but Jerry moved away. Again followed a clinique of counters and reversals until Steamboat reversed a whip and sent Jerry into the corner. Where he missed a avalanche body press, but managed to still counter everythng Jery brought up. Until Jerry slipped out of a back suplex attmpt and hit a another THesz Press. But Steamboat kicked out after two. After Jerry rolled through with an arm wringer, he was able to hit an airplane spin. And the another Thesz Press, but Steamboat kicked out. This time Jerry locked in the main event sleeper, but Steamboat escaped in the last second. Again a series of counter holds, until Steamboat hit a neckbreaker. After it seemed that Ricky was taking the advantage, Jerry tagged in Jack. But then Steamboat tagged in Youngblood! Both men were fresh and ready to wrestle. Youngblood took the advantage with a bodyslam and a vicious chinlock. They put on a wrestling clinique, beofre the bell suddenly rang and the ring annoncer told that the time limit had expired and that the match was declared a draw.[/SIZE] [B]Winners:[/B] ([I]none[/I]) [B]Match Rating: [COLOR="Cyan"]A*[/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE] [QUOTE][CENTER][I][B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]MACW[/COLOR][/B] Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling Result Card[/I] [SIZE="1"][B][I]Steamboat[/I][/B] and [B]Youngblood[/B] went on to a time limit draw with [B]The Brisco Brothers[/B] to retain the [I]NWA World Tag Team Championships[/I]. [B]Wahoo McDaniel[/B] d. [B]Ivan Koloff[/B] [B]Dory Funk Jr.[/B] d. [B]Nikita Koloff[/B] to retain the [I]Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Championship[/I]. [B]Greg Valentine[/B] d. [B]Bugsy McGraw[/B] to retain the [I]NWA United States Heavyweight Championship[/I]. [B]Assasin #2[/B] d. [B]Angelo Mosca Jr.[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER][/QUOTE]

• 3 weeks later...
[CENTER][B][U]Tuesday, Week 2 f May[/U] (1983)[/B][/CENTER] [I]Another evet and another match. Again, I was to go against [B]Harley Race[/B], in what was billed as 're-match'. We had pretty high standards to live up to after last weeks match. But of course we could do it. I knew it. I was very excited, as parked my car and ventured into the arena; off course from the back entrance. As I came in, I srtangely noticed that no-one was out in the corridor, heading to the locker-room. As I entered the locker-room, Race was'nt to be seen. Though many others were there. But they had'nt seen a trace of him either. It was'nt like Harley to arrive late. He first arrived just bout ten minutes before our match! But he manged to get tied up quickly and we headed out there.[/I] [B]Harley Race:[/B] "Your ready?" [B]Ricky Steamboat:[/B] "Always." [I]Harley patted me on the back, before he wetn through the curtain. He was a fine man and a great wrestler I might add. I really like him. Hopefully, we'l get more matches against each other. After seeing Harley up at the ring, I went out. I could hear on the buzzing between the fans, that this was certainly match they looked forward too. And we both entered the ring, the fans gave huge cheer and the referee called for the match to start ..[/I] [QUOTE][RIGHT][B]Harley Race[/B] v. [B]Ricky Steamboat[/B] [I][SIZE="1"]At MACW In Your Town![/SIZE][/I][/RIGHT] [SIZE="1"]The whole thing started off with lot of beautiful counters. Both men avoided, rolled through, slipped out and blocked each others various holds. This ended when Ricky went for dropkick, that did'nt faze Race though. Race then to control, until Steamboat slipped out of a facelock and began crunhing Harle with uppercuts. Then Ricky hit a suplex and began grounding Race. Harley, though, fought back and the momentum shifted quickly between the two men, for some time. After about fifteen minutes, Steamboat was able to secure his momentum by locking in a vicious Boston Crab. He proceeed to ground Race, though also utilizing dropkicks and various quick moves. But after moving away from an elbow drop, Race tried a Tilt-A-Whirl Backbreaker, only to have it countered into a pin attempt by Ricky. But suddeny Race took control with some vicious clotheslines. But after an ankle twist, Steamboat was ble to avoid a seated hammer. Ricky managed to take control after a double chest chop, followed by some vicious knife edge chops. Suddenly Steamoat went for a Springboard Body Press, but Harley moved! Ricky, though, still had the presence of mind to avoid a falling headbutt. After a knee to the leg, Steamboat sought to lock in a Figure Four, but Harley blocked. This only fueled Ricky, who landed several more knees to the legs of Race, before again going for a Figure Four. And ths time locking it in! After imense amounts of pain, Harley had no other option but to tap out and award the match to Steamboat.[/SIZE] [B]Winner:[/B] Ricky Steamboat [B]Match Rating: [COLOR="orange"]C[/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE] [QUOTE][CENTER][i][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]MACW[/B][/COLOR] In Your Town! Result Card[/i] [SIZE="1"][B]Ric Flair[/B] against [B]Jack Brisco[/B] ended in no contest to retain the [I]NWA World Heavyweight Championship[/I]. [B]Greg Valentine[/B] d. [B]Wahoo McDaniel[/B] [B][I]Ricky Steamboat[/I][/B] d. [B]Harley Race[/B] [B]Dick Slater[/B] d. [B]Bob Orton Jr.[/B] [B]Dory Funk Jr.[/B] d. [B]Nikita Volkoff[/B] to retain the [I]Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Champoinship[/I]. [B]Ivan Koloff[/B] d. [B]Jay Youngblod[/B] [B]One Man Gang[/B] and [B]Assasin 2[/B] d. [B]Royal[/B] and [B]Mosca Jr.[/B] to retain the [I]Mid-Atlantic U.S. Tag Team Championships[/I]. [B]Rddy Piper[/B] d. [B]The Great Kabuki[/B] [B]Adonis[/B] and [B]Kiniski[/B] d. [B]Rufus R. Jones[/B] and [B]Bugsy McGraw[/B] [B]Jimmy Valiant[/B] d. [B]George South[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER][/QUOTE]

Archived