Jushin "Thunder" Lyger: The Innovator

Wednesday, Week 1, December 1983 - MLW [B]MLW[/B] has a big show in Halifax tonight and I'll be facing [B]Jacques [/B] [B]Rougeau [/B]again. We know each other pretty well since we've had several matches in the past few weeks, so it could go either way. We're fairly high up on the card tonight, just before the main event, so we aim to put on a good show for the fans. [U][B]Match 25: Jacques Rougeau vs "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada[/B][/U] I get into trouble early in thanks thanks to Jacques' superior technique and experience. The only thing to do in these situations is to take it outside where I hit a Plancha Dive followed by a Flying Palm Thrust off the top to ringside floor. Rougeau comes back with a couple of Double Underhook Suplexes but I hit a Running Enziguri and bust him open, rolling him back into the ring for a near fall. I try to keep the momentum but can't connect with my Flying Body Press. Rougeau catches me by surprise with a move he's beat me with before, the Full Nelson Clutch but I manage to get to the ropes. Seconds later I hit another Running Enziguri, Rougeau counters my Flying Body Press, but I reverse his whip and hit him with a Running Palm Thrust and hook him in the Rolling Romero Special to get the submission at 25:00. [B]Rating: B-[/B] It turns out to be a pretty good match and no sign of the usual thorn in my side, [B]Brian Adias[/B].

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I tried PM'ing you this question, Xellence - but your profile won't allow it... I've noticed from your match descriptions that the matches seem much crisper and less predictable than earlier versions of the DOTT scenario. Have you noticed that the gameplay is better/worse/the same in the v1.3 DOTT update, combined with Mr. Ryland's 1.5 WreSpi patch? Thanks!

Sorry about the PM stuff, D.Boon's! I'm kind of new to all this forum stuff so I've turned on the PMing now (I think ;) ). In response to your question, I'd say...YES DEFINITELY BETTER! The AI seems to be much improved as well as your excellent movesets and I have a harder time winning matches than I did with the previous scenarios. Just about any match could either way at this point, which I think is great. On a side note, I don't know if it's just my imagination, but it seems like some workers don't go for their finishers often enough. Is this because of the way they are set-up to perform in the ring? No specific examples off the top of my head, but if it happens I'll try to remember to mention it.

I agree with your finisher comment. I play the Cornellverse, and I noticed that they don't go for their finishers as often as before. Stick with the Rougeau, they are nice people in real life, I am glad to see that Yamada and Jacques are pal drinking beer... maybe they will kareoke together at some point!?!?!

Thursday, Week 1, December 1983 - CSW When I get to the arena in Medicine Hat for tonight's show, there are a few changes that I'm made aware of. First, [B]The Cobra [/B] has made a face turn on the heels of his match with [B]Kung Fu [/B] in which he [U]lost[/U] the [B]British Commonwealth Mid-Heavyweight [/B] Title. [B]Bruce Hart [/B] calls me over and explains that since the fans really seemed to rally behind [B]The Cobra [/B] last night, they've decided that a feud with him isn't the best idea for me at this point. I'm disappointed and start to walk away when Bruce informs me that they want me to feud with [B]Kung Fu [/B] instead! I thought that possible title shot had slipped away, but it's back! The second change is that [B]Ron Bass [/B] has joined the promotion and he's my opponent for the evening. He's a big man and has a reputation for being rough so I'll have my hands full. [U][B]Match 26: Ron Bass vs "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada[/B][/U] Bass basically beats me from pillar to post for the first ten minutes of the match and it's not until I manage to get outside for a breather that I'm able to do a little damage. My speed has Bass reeling when I go back inside and hit the Plancha Dive over the ropes. I immediately climb to the top turnbuckle and launch myself off with a Somersault Body Attack Suicida which connects! I roll him back in and go for the cover when I'm jerked out of the ring and kicked hard in the side of the head. As Bass drags me back in, I see Kung Fu slinking off through the crowd and realize that the feud has begun. Bass goes to work, pounding me into submission and biting my forehead open for good measure. I manage to slip one of his brutal attacks and hit the Running Enziguri for a near fall. Bass comes back, but when he tries to drop me on the top rope, I slip out and hit some rapid fire dropkicks and snare him in the Rolling Romero Special at 24:00 to get the submission. [B]Rating: B[/B] I head to the dressing room to get my head stitched satisfied with my victory.

Friday, Week 1, December 1983 - CSW My elation over last night's victory is short lived when I find out who I'll be facing on TV this week. I've beaten bigger men before, but [B]Loch Ness [/B] [B]Monster[/B] has got to be 4 times my size!!! Kung Fu defends his title against Phil LaFon in the opening match and then it's my turn. [U][B]Match 27: Loch Ness Monster vs "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada[/B][/U] There's not that much I can do against a man this size and so I take a pounding from Loch Ness for most of the match. My back is killing me as I finally manage to get him outside to hit my trademark Planchas and Somersault Suicidas. I finally manage to hit about the only big finish I can do on a man I can't lift, the Running Enziguri, when Kung Fu slides into the ring to hit me upside the head with his freshly defended title. Loch Ness takes the advantage to try to hit me with a big splash, but I manage to avoid it and go up to the top for a Flying Palm Thrust. Coming down, however, I tweak my knee and get hit with a couple of big Samoan Drops! It feels like I may have broken a rib, but I'm not going to give up and rush back with a desperation Running Enziguri. I hit it and three more after that but Loch Ness is just too strong. I can taste the blood in my mouth as he hits another Samoan Drop and a Stomach Breaker. The referee has seen enough and calls the match on a medical DQ at 24:00. [B]Rating: B-[/B] As I'm being carried out on a stretcher, [B]Stu Hart [/B] comes by to tell me, "You've got heart, kid. Not too many brains, but you've got heart." I'm really not sure if my heart is intact...or my lungs for that matter.

Sunday, Week 1, December 1983 Thankfully, [B]Universal Pro [/B] gave me the night off on Saturday so I had some time to rest after that brutal beating at the hands of [B]Loch Ness [/B] [B]Monster[/B]. Tonight it's [B]Maple Leaf All-Stars TV [/B] and I'll finally get my hands on[B] Brian Adias[/B]. I can't wait...hopefully my battered body will hold out. [U][B]Match 28: Brian Adias vs "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada[/B][/U] I come out hard and fast and Adias doesn't know what hit him. He's in trouble very early and it looks like I'll be able to dish out my first "squash". I toss him through the ropes and nail the Body Press Suicida and go up to the top for the Somersault Body Attack Suicida! It turns out to be a very bad idea as Adias rolls out of the way and I land hard. I feel my knee pop as I hit the concrete and I can barely walk as Adias drags me back in. Like a shark smelling blood in the water, he mounts his comeback, nailing me with all the speed moves he can muster. I finally manage to stop the onslaught but when I try to go up to the top, I can't climb. He comes at me again, and I barely manage to slip out of the way, hooking him up for the Fisherman's Suplex and the pinfall at 18:00. [B]Rating: C+[/B] I'm happy to have pulled out the win against Adias, but I can't help but worry about my future in wrestling. My knee is killing me!

Monday, Week 2, December 1983 - MLW Luckily for me, the doctors have found no permanent damage to my knee. It's sore, but ice and heat treatment have worked wonders and I feel good to go for tonight's match. Teaming with [B]Mark Youngblood [/B] again is good, too. [U][B]Match 29: Jacques Rougeau & Private Don Kernodle vs "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada & Mark Youngblood[/B][/U] The match goes back and forth until everyone is pretty beat. Kernodle's in with Youngblood when Mark applies the Main Event Sleeper and the Private gets to the ropes. A Slingshot Sunset Flip nets a near fall for Youngblood and he decides to tag me in to see if I can get the finish. Kernodle hits me with a Running Knee and then climbs the turnbuckle to deliver a Bombs Away Knee Drop. He picks me up for a Double Underhook Suplex, but I manage to slip it and hit a Running Enziguri. 1...2...And here's my friend, [B]Brian Adias [/B] to break up the pinfall. Youngblood tosses him out over the top and goes out after him to teach him a lesson as Kernodle makes the tag to Rougeau. He goes for the kill right away, but I escape his Full Nelson Clutch and his Wakigatame Armbar to hit a Running Enziguri that draws blood and gets me the pinfall at 29:00. [B]Rating: C+[/B] I'm getting really annoyed with Adias and I hope I can get another match against him soon.

Tuesday, Week 2, December 1983 - UWF Back in Japan for the [B]UWF [/B] show, I see [B]Akira Maeda [/B] backstage. I tell him he looks good and he's not as cold as he has been. Maybe there's hope for this relationship yet. Tonight I'm facing [B]Black Man[/B], a masked luchadore. I don't know much about him, but I've heard he knows his way around a wrestling ring. [U][B]Match 30: Black Man vs Keiichi Yamada[/B][/U] "Knows his way around a wrestling ring" seems to be the understatement of the year as Black Man takes me to school. He counters absolutely everything I throw at him and in no time, I'm in serious trouble. I manage to toss him through the ropes and hit all the right moves at the right time to even things up. After a Bulldog Lariat on a chair, and a strong warning from the referee, I roll Black Man back in and hit an Avalanche Brainbuster, splitting him open. He won't stay down though and after he blocks the Fuji Bomb and slips a Fisherman's Buster, he shoves my head down between his knees and nails me with a Martinete for the win at 15:00. [B]Rating: B-[/B] I'm not doing so well in Japan, which is frustrating, but I've just got to keep at it.

Thursday, Week 2, December 1983 - CSW I had a day off on Wednesday, which was much appreciated, and when I get back to Calgary, I'm summoned to [B]Bruce Hart's [/B] office. [B] Davey Boy [/B] [B]Smith[/B] is there and I'm wondering what's going on, when I notice that a set of crutches behind Bruce's desk. He explains that he had a bit of a slip while shoveling the driveway on the weekend and sprained his ankle badly. He and Davey Boy were set to have a rematch against [B]Leo Burke [/B] and the [B]Cuban Assassin [/B] (The Sharpshooters) for the [B]CSW[/B] [B]International Tag titles [/B] tonight, but in his condition he's unable. He tells me him and Davey Boy discussed it and thought I might like to take his place for the match. Me? I tell them both how honored I am that they have considered me and, of course, I agree. [U][B][COLOR=Black]Match 31: The Sharpshooters vs "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada & Davey Boy Smith [/COLOR][/B] for the [COLOR=Navy][B][COLOR=DarkRed]CSW International Tag [/B] [B]Team Titles[/B][/COLOR][/U][/COLOR] Both teams fight hard in this one until everyone is dead on their feet. It's me and the Cuban Assassin in the ring when I hit a Sunset Flip for a near fall. With the Assassin dazed, I climb to the top and hit a Flying Body Press for another near fall! A Running Enziguri, but the Cuban Assassin just won't stay down!!! I tag in Davey Boy but the Assassin counters several Running Powerslam attempts and tags out. Burke misses his first move and Davey Boy applies an arm wringer, then scoops him up for a Running Powerslam to end the match at 37:00. Rating: C+ I'm in shock as Davey passes me one of the belts and the referee raises my arm. I can't believe this! Six weeks into my career as a professional wrestler and I have gold around my waist!! I'm impressed by how heavy the belt feels...it's a good kind of heavy. I could get used to this. I really could. [I](Note: If anyone has any suggestions for a tag team name for Yamada and Smith, please pass it on by PM or in this thread. The one the game came up with is [B]The Burning[/B], but I'm not too keen on that one. Thanks! :D )[/I]

Saturday, Week 2, December 1983 - UWF I had no scheduled match with [B]Stampede[/B] for Friday, so I flew back to Japan with [B]Davey Boy[/B]. He had a match with his other partner, [B]Dynamite Kid[/B], to defend their [B]IWGP Tag Titles [/B] at a [B]New Japan [/B] show. He said he'd think about a catchy name for our tag team over the next few days and see me back in Calgary. I wished him luck and said hello to Dynamite, who responded with a curt nod. I really admire his style, but he's not the friendliest guy I've met. At the [B]UWF[/B] show, I find I'll be facing [B]Black Man [/B] again, so it'll take a great effort on my part to pull out the win. [U][B]Match 32: Black Man vs Keiichi Yamada[/B][/U] Black Man counters almost everything I've got in the early going, rolling me up for a small package and getting a near fall five minute in. A few minutes later, he locks on the Suastica Stretch but I won't give in. Sensing the danger, it's time for me to take it outside to try to even the odds. I hit a nice Handspring Body Press Suicida and lock on an inverted surfboard on the cold floor. Black Man gives me a low blow and tries to follow up but I body slam him through a table. The ref just ignores it so I figure he'll be lenient as I put Black Man on a table and climb the turnbuckles. A roar from the crowd as I nail him with a Somersault Body Attack Suicida, shattering the table, and roll him back in for the cover. Somehow he finds his second wind and kicks out! When I attempt an Avalanche Brainbuster, he blocks it and signals the crowd that it's about to end. An enziguri rattles my brain and he picks me up for a Martinete, getting a warning from the ref, but the pin as well at 15:00. [B]Rating: B-[/B] The crowd enjoyed the match, but I would have liked a win. Oh well, I guess it'll take awhile before the Japanese fans know me as well as the Canadian fans are starting to.

Sunday, Week 2, 1983 - MLW Back in Toronto, I find my feud with [B]Brian Adias [/B] on hold so I can have a match with another newcomer to [B]Maple Leaf [/B] in [B]Ken Mantell[/B]. I know nothing at all about this guy, so I have to stay on my toes. [U][B]Match 33: Ken Mantell vs "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada[/B][/U] We're pretty evenly matched and the action goes back and forth until the referee gets in the way of an Irish whip and falls down. Outside we go, and with no sign of recovery from the referee, I drive Mantell's face into a chair with a Bulldog Lariat, busting him open. He fights back with a couple of Indian Deatlocks and a Boston Crab but I return the favour, just as the referee is recovering, with a Rolling Romero Special and roll him back in for a cover. I guess Brian Adias hasn't taken the night off from our feud, because he's right there to break up the pin! I try to regain my advantage by climbing up to the top, but Mantell is ready and he tosses me off, locking in the Indian Deathlock. I manage to get to the ropes and as he comes at me with a Mafia Kick, I counter with a Running Enziguri, knocking him cold for the win at 27:00. [B]Rating: B-[/B] In the back, I run into Adias and the two of us almost get into it, but [B]Frank Tunney's [/B] there to break it up and he says we'll get a chance to settle it tomorrow night on the road. I'm happy about this and plan to pull out all the stops!

Being a Canadian myself, I have a great love for Stampede Wrestling! So going over in that promotion is like a dream come true for me. It's one of the few promotions I had the pleasure of seeing live in my younger days. Being from the far north, we didn't get much live wrestling. My grandmother lived near Calgary, so once or twice in the summers we'd get to see a show. And they were innovators, too! One of the first ladder matches I ever saw was on Stampede TV, involving The Dynamite Kid and whoever his opponent was. It didn't matter because Dynamite was just about the coolest thing I had ever seen. My brother and I still talk about that match to this day! Too bad there aren't any ladder matches in WreSpi! :( Anyway, thanks for reading! Just thought I'd share a memory! :D

Monday, Week 3, December 1983 - MLW Okay! At tonight's show in Windsor, I get my hands on [B]Brian Adias [/B] again! I plan to make it clear to him and everyone else that he should stay out of my matches from now on! [U][B]Match 34: Brian Adias vs "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada[/B][/U] All goes according to plan and Adias doesn't know what hit him! He can't get a move in edgewise as I'm all over him with speed moves, takedowns and plenty of high flying! At the 14 minute mark, I lock him in a Rolling Romero Special, but he refuses to quit. It's time for some trademark "Flyin' Fuji" as I toss him through the ropes and nail a perfect Handspring Body Attack Suicida, rolling him in for a near fall. A Fisherman's Buster and an Avalanche Brainbuster gets another near fall. Adias staggers to his feet as I hit some rapidfire dropkicks, pick him up over my head and plant him with a Running Fuji Bomb! 1...2...3! It's all over at 16:00. [B]Rating: C+[/B] [B]Frank Tunney [/B] pops over to me in the dressing room as I'm packing up my gear and lets me know that they've decided to finish up the feud with Brian and I. He thinks it might be time for me to move up the card a little.

Tuesday, Week 3, December 1983 - UWF In Japan for the [B]UWF[/B] show, I find I've got [B]Rougeau[/B] again. Not Jacques this time, but his brother Raymond. Backstage, we exchange pleasantries and I give a quick hello to [B]Akira Maeda[/B], who still isn't my best friend in the world. [B][U]Match 35: Raymond Rougeau vs Keiichi Yamada[/U][/B] We're both pretty worn out from an evenly contested match when Rougeau goes for a Full Nelson Clutch. I slip it and toss him through the ropes, hitting a Plancha Dive, followed by a Bulldog Lariat onto a chair. Up to the top I go, but crash hard when he avoids my Somersault Suicida. He rolls me in but I have enough of my wits about me to avoid another Full Nelson Clutch attempt and apply my own Suastica Stretch. Rougeau won't quit, so I go to the top for a Flying Body Press but he counters with a dropkick, picks me up for a sleeper, which I slip and hit a Running Enziguri for a near fall. He staggers to his feet and I apply another Suastica Stretch to get the submission at 15:00. [B]Rating: C[/B]

Wednesday, Week 3, December 1983 - MLW Back in Toronto, I see that [B]Frank Tunney [/B] wasn't kidding when he said they were going to try to move me up the card. Some of the guys in back are smiling, some are shaking their heads as I walk to board to see who I've got tonight. My jaw drops...it's the [B]NWA Canadian Heavyweight [/B] champion, [B]The Sheik[/B]! It won't be a title match due to my size, but it's the champion all the same. I'm really nervous as I head out to the ring, with a lot of the guys telling me to "Stay sharp!" and then laughing. I wonder what they could mean? [B][U]Match 36: The Sheik vs "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada[/U][/B] I soon find out what they mean, as The Sheik takes every opportunity to stab me in various places with a pencil!!! I'm wondering if the referee needs glasses, since he never seems to say anything about it. I manage to hold my own, despite the constant jabbing, and toss him out for a Plancha Dive and a Rolling Romero Special. Roll in, near fall. I toss him out again, but miss the Handspring Suicida. He rolls me in, applies the Camel Clutch, but I get a foot on the ropes. I manage to throw him out again and this time connect with the Handspring Suicida and then a Running Enziguri! Roll in, near fall! Outside again, another Running Enziguri, roll in, another near fall! The Sheik goes wild with the pencil jabs, but I slip his rolling hammerlock and hit a Bulldog Lariat, busting him open. He laughs as the blood streams down his face and I'm a little scared! He slips a Romero Special and sends me to the ropes with an Irish whip, but coming off, I counter with a small package, getting another near fall. I throw him out yet again and miss the Plancha this time. Laughing maniacally, The Sheik bites my forehead, which gets a weak warning from the ref. He then locks me in The Camel Clutch...twice! He rolls me back in and gets the three at 28:00. [B]Rating: B-[/B] I have a feeling I'll be really sore tomorrow, but I'm satisfied with the match. I didn't win, but I took on the champion for nearly thirty minutes. A trip to the drugstore to pick up some bandaids and then back to the hotel for a satisfying sleep.

Archived