King Of The Territories Tournament

Since I love the DOTT mod so much, I thought I'd stage a little tournament of the best of the time. While not really a dynasty, this seems to be the best fit! What I have done is selected the 16 men based on their standing at the beginning of the mod, November 1983. Some feds do not have champions assigned so I basically selected from those feds that did and ranked them according to the prestige of their fed. This is all subjective and I'm sure we have differing opinions so I welcome your comments. For the the First Round I will play the top-seeded (again subjective) wrestlers and let the CPU play the lower seeds. Subsequent rounds will be determined by a coin toss as to who I will play. The tournament is single elimination. [U][B][CENTER]King Of The Territories[/CENTER][/B] [B][CENTER]Tournament[/CENTER][/B][/U] [U]Round One[/U] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT] [B]1. Harley Race vs 16. Bad News Allen 8. Junkyard Dog vs 9. Jerry Lawler 4.Antonio Inoki vs 13. Bob Brown 5. Bruiser Brody vs 12. Carlos Colon 2. Bob Backlund vs 15. Akira Maeda 7. David Von Erich vs 10. Kevin Sullivan 3. Nick Bockwinkel vs 14. Gran Hamada 6. Larry Zbyszko vs 11. The Sheik[/B] So those are the starting matchups and the tournament will begin tonight after my wife goes to bed. I'm in Japan so adjust your clocks accordingly. The first round match-ups will just be abbreviated highlights!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awesome idea: here are my predictions: [B]Round One 1. Harley Race vs 16. Bad News Allen - Nevr heard of Allen but I have some of Race's matches , so I think he will win this one 8. Junkyard Dog vs 9. Jerry Lawler - Oh My 2 of my favorite wrestlers. I love me some JYD but I feel Lawler will win this one 4.Antonio Inoki vs 13. Bob Brown - Inoki will win this one no contest 5. Bruiser Brody vs 12. Carlos Colon - Tough call on this one but I think Brody will win, 2. Bob Backlund vs 15. Akira Maeda - I mark for Backlund and the Crossface Chickenwing so I hope he wins 7. David Von Erich vs 10. Kevin Sullivan = Can't go wrong with the Von Erich's but Sullivan is a tough cookie . I thing Sullivan will win. 3. Nick Bockwinkel vs 14. Gran Hamada - My vote goes for Hamada winning this one 6. Larry Zbyszko vs 11. The Sheik - With out a doubt The Shiek will dominate this match [/B]

Preliminary Round Welcome to the [B]King of the Territories Tournament[/B]! Our first match-up in the preliminary round features No.1 seed [B]Harley Race[/B], [B]NWA[/B] [B]Heavyweight Champion [/B] taking on [B]Bad News Allen[/B], the No.16 seed and current [B]CSW North American Heavyweight Champion[/B]. Both men are fearless brawlers but Race is the more experienced and technically sound. [U][B]The Match[/B][/U] Both men start off with punches to try to wear the other down. Allen particularly favours eye gouge, punch, and headbutt combos with the occasional bell clap thrown in for good measure. Race takes them all in stride and they don't seem to cause him much damage and he comes back with a bear hug, side headlock punches, and several falling headbutts to Allen's face and shoulder. Allen tries to come back by tossing Race to the corner and shoulder ramming him. The big turning point of the match comes when Race hits a Tilt-A-Whirl backbreaker followed up with a German Suplex for a near fall. Seconds later Race counters an Irish whip with a headbutt and a Suplex Powerslam. Allen desperately tries to fight back with punches and eye gouges but he's dropped by a Running Headbutt. Race follows up with a Main Event Sleeper Hold and Allen submits. [B]The Winner [/B] at [B]24:00 [/B] with a [B]Main Event Sleeper Hold[/B]...[B]Harley Race[/B]! Rating: C

Let me jump in with my own predictions: Round One [B]Junkyard Dog vs Jerry Lawler[/B] - This one is a toughie. Were this to happen in 83, it would have been 'a main event anywhere in the country!' [I]I'm going with the King on this one[/I]. [B]Antonio Inoki vs Bob Brown[/B] - I'll go with Doc on this one: [I]Inoki[/I]. Unlike Doc, though, I think the Bulldog will give Antonio a good fight - for about 5 minutes. [B]Bruiser Brody vs Carlos Colon[/B] - I've never liked Colon, or his forehead. Brody, on the other hand, is like Animal from the Muppet Show. I'm a big fan of the Muppets. [I]Brody all the way![/I] [B]Bob Backlund vs Akira Maeda[/B] - Again - like Doc, I am a huge Backlund fan. I may have laughed when the Grand Wizard called him Howdy Doody, but Bob was.. well, Bob. Maeda sucks eggs: anyone that would kick a poor drunken Giant's legs out from under him is just plain rude. :) [I]Backlund power![/I] [B]David Von Erich vs Kevin Sullivan[/B] - Hmmm... this one is a very good matchup. [I]I'm going to have to go with Sullivan on this one[/I]. I liked David a lot, but Sullivan is just too dirty for the Yellow Rose of Texas. [B]Nick Bockwinkel vs Gran Hamada[/B] - Ah, Bockwinkel... he has become my all-time favorite (narrowly passing Don Jardine; the Spoiler). Hamada is a great wrestler, no doubt - but Slick Nick is too much for the Japanese mat artist: [I]Bockwinkel[/I]. [B]Larry Zbyszko vs The Sheik[/B] - I'm going with Doc on this one, as well: Larry Land... or a Pencil jab to the throat? I'm going with the Pencil Jab, bay-bee! [I]Sheik in a mauling[/I].

Preliminary Round Our second match-up of the tournament is a Southern showdown with the [B]Mid-South North American Heavyweight [/B] champion, No. 8 seed [B]Junkyard [/B] [B]Dog[/B] taking on the King of Memphis, No. 9 seed and [B]Southern Heavyweight [/B] champion of [B]Championship Wrestling Association[/B], [B]Jerry Lawler[/B]. These two men are the most evenly matched in the tournament so the fans are expecting a close contest. [U][B]The Match[/B][/U] The first 15 minutes of the match are pretty even as both men dish out their moves in a see-saw contest. The advantage starts to shift to JYD as he hits his Crawling Headbutts and sends Lawler to the floor. He can't capitalize though and Lawler takes the match back into the ring with punches and eye gouges. JYD goes right back to working the head first nailing a Coco Butt and another set of Crawling Headbutts. Outside JYD follows up with a Giant Suplex onto a chair, which the ref ignores, Crawling Headbutts to bust Lawler open and another set for good measure. Rolled back into the ring, Lawler comes back with a flurry of Bionic Elbows but JYD goes off in a Barking Frenzy and hits the Big Thump Powerslam for a near fall. Lawler is whipped to the corner and in desperation tries to choke JYD with the tag rope. But it's too little, too late as the Dog hits a second Big Thump Powerslam to end the match. The [B]Winner[/B] at [B]31:00 [/B] with a [B]Big Thump Powerslam[/B]...[B]Junkyard Dog[/B]! Rating: C The first match-up of the quarterfinals is set. Harley Race will take on JYD. Will the Big Thump be enough or will the NWA Champ prove that he really is the best in the business?

Where's Flair? I know, I know! But as D. Boon's helped explain, Flair was not yet a champion so wasn't included. Rules is rules! :D In future I may stage a best of the best in each promotion and then bring the top two or three to a world tournament. I only wish the game was capable of simming the match on occassion. I don't mean just the result, but the entire match. Anyway, folks, thanks for all the feedback!

Preliminary Round Our third match features the man behind [B]New Japan Pro Wrestling [/B] and current [B]NWF Heavyweight [/B] champion, No.4 seed [B]Antonio Inoki [/B] taking on [B]Central States Heavyweight [/B] champ, [B]Bulldog Bob [/B] [B]Brown[/B]. Though both men are in their mid-forties, Inoki is obviously in better shape and more well-versed in mat technique. [U][B]The Match[/B][/U] As predicted, Inoki is all ring science, while Brown is all brawling. Inoki wears down Brown throughout the early going with all manner of takedown, lock, hold and stretch. Bulldog does his best to counter with punches and several double axe handles off the top, but he is clearly overmatched. For the last few minutes, Inoki tries to lock in submission after submission, to no avail. Finally, after a botched double axe handle from Brown, Inoki locks on a Crossface, then an Octopus Stretch, and finally a Kataha Jime Judo Choke to get the submission. The [B]Winner[/B] at [B]26:00 [/B] with a [B]Kataha Jime Judo Choke[/B]...[B]Antonio Inoki[/B]! Rating: C+

Preliminary Round Many pundits are predicting a wild bloodbath as the fourth match features big and hairy [B]Bruiser Brody[/B], the No.5 seed representing [B]All Japan Pro Wrestling [/B] and the current [B]NWA International Heavyweight [/B] champ, taking on the No.12 seed forehead carver from Puerto Rico, [B]World Wrestling Council [/B] owner and [B]Universal Heavyweight [/B] title holder, [B]Carlos Colon[/B]. While Colon may be the more experienced and skilled of the two, Brody's size and power could make all the difference. [U][B]The Match[/B][/U] As the match begins, it seems clear that Colon doesn't have a chance against the brutal Brody. He does his best to fight back but is simply overpowered as Brody soften him up and whips him for a big boot. A second irish whip and big boot sends the ref sprawling and it's open season on Colon's already horribly scarred head. Brody takes him outside and slams him through a table, then begins biting into Colon's forehead again and again. A series of brutal headchops follows and the ref recovers to see Bruiser planting Colon with a hammerlock backbomb onto a steel chair. That draws a strong warning from the ref and having had his fun at ringside, Brody takes the action back inside. Irish whip and a big boot and Colon's head splits like an overripe melon! Bruiser smells the blood in the water and nails a big Running Knee Drop to finish Colon off. The [B]Winner [/B] at [B]26:00 [/B] with a [B]Running Knee Drop[/B]...[B]Bruiser[/B] [B]Brody[/B]! Rating: C And the second quarterfinal match is set. Scientific grappler [B]Antonio Inoki [/B] vs wild brawler [B]Bruiser Brody[/B]! Wildly different styles should make for an interesting contest.

Preliminary Round Matchup number five will see the No.2 seed and current [B]WWF World [/B] [B]Heavyweight[/B] champ, [B]Bob Backlund [/B] taking on No.15 seed, and holder of the [B]WWF International [/B] and [B]Universal International [/B] [B]Heavyweight [/B] titles, [B]Akira Maeda[/B]. Both men in their prime years and are technically well-versed so expect a close contest. [U][B]The Match[/B][/U] In the early going, both men wear each other down. Maeda with his kicks and judo technique and Backlund with his amateur holds and takedowns. Backlund gets several near falls with his Double Underhook Cradle and it looks like he has the match well in hand when he applies his patented Crossface Chicken Wing. Maeda refuses to give up, however, and a few minute later has Backlund in an Octopus Stretch. Backlund tries to come back but after a Short Arm Deep Hip Toss, in what can only be described as a major upset, the WWF champ submits to a Kataha Jime Judo Choke! The [B]Winner[/B] at 34:00 with a [B]Kataha Jime Judo Choke[/B]...[B]Akira[/B] [B]Maeda[/B]! Rating: C

Preliminary Round The sixth match of the tournament will see [B]David Von Erich[/B], No.7 seed and holder of the [B]WCCW Texas Heavyweight [/B] title facing Satan-worshipping [B]Kevin Sullivan[/B], No.10 seed and current [B]Florida [/B] [B]Heavyweight[/B] champion. Statistically speaking, both men are fairly evenly matched so we'll have to see who wants it more. [U][B]The Match[/B][/U] Sullivan definitely didn't bring his A game to the arena tonight as the younger Von Erich dominates from the get go. He wears Sullivan down with suplexes and various holds, hitting a Gorilla Press for the two count. A spinning toe hold followed by a sunset flip gets another near fall. Sullivan tries to stomp his way back into the match, but it's too late as David slips a choke hold and hits the Diving DDT for the pin and the win. The [B]Winner [/B] at [B]19:00 [/B] with a [B]Diving DDT[/B]...[B]David Von [/B] [B]Erich[/B]! Rating: C So the [B]Yellow Rose of Texas [/B] will face the hard kicking [B]Maeda[/B] in round two.

Preliminary Round The tournament's seventh contest pits [B]AWA World Heavyweight [/B] champ and No.3 seed, [B]Nick Bockwinkel [/B] against a much smaller [B]Gran [/B] [B]Hamada[/B], No.15 seed and [B]UWA World Middleweight [/B] title holder. Hamada is a skilled ring technician but pundits predict a display of dominance by Bockwinkel. [U][B]The Match[/B][/U] Hamada takes the advantage early with a fine display of chain wrestling and striking combinations, but it just seems to make Bockwinkel angry. The AWA champ berates Hamada as he drops elbow after elbow. A couple of illegal Roll of Quarters punches miss the mark, but Bockwinkel manages to catch the smaller man in an Abdominal Stretch followed by a Figure 4...no submission. A Backbreaker and another Figure 4, but still Hamada hangs on. Hamada fights back with judo technique, but the damage has been done. Bockwinkel slips a hold and applies a Main Event Sleeper for the win. The [B]Winner[/B] at [B]25:00 [/B] with a [B]Main Event Sleeper Hold[/B]...[B]Nick Bockwinkel[/B]! Rating: C

Preliminary Round The final match of the first round sees [B]Georgia Championship's National [/B] [B]Heavyweight[/B] champion and No.6 seed, [B]Larry Zbyszko [/B] taking on the brutal [B]NWA Canadian Heavyweight [/B] champion and No.11 seed, [B]The Sheik[/B]. Neither man is above bending the rules a little so the referee will have his hands full with this contest. [U][B]The Match[/B][/U] The early going sees Zbyszko with a series of hammerlocks, forearms, and corner chops to wear the Sheik down. The Sheik counters by taking Zbyszko to school, jabbing him again and again with his trademark pencil jabs, none of which are seen by the referee. Mid-match, Zbyszko takes control with backbreakers, elbow drops and draped second rope butt drops culminating in an Inverted Shoulder Breaker for a near fall. A cheating Figure 4 won't get the Sheik to submit and he comes back with stomps, double stomps, eye gouges, chokes and more pencil work. Zbyszko counters with a second Inverted Shoulder Breaker and near fall. The Sheik comes back and tries to apply the Camel Clutch, but Zbyszko counters with a sleeper hold and a third Inverted Shoulder Breaker to secure the win. The [B]Winner[/B] at [B]31:00 [/B] with an [B]Inverted Shoulder Breaker[/B]...[B]Larry [/B] [B]Zbyszko[/B]! So it's [B]Bockwinkel[/B] vs [B]Zbyszko[/B] for the quarterfinals and the first round is history.

[B]Harley Race[/B] vs. The Junkyard Dog Race will dominate. Antonio Inoki vs. [B]Bruiser Brody[/B] Inokia is great, but not many people can stand up to Brody. [B]Akira Maeda[/B] vs. David Von Erich Maeda surprised the heck out of me by beating Backlund. No surprises in this one, as the Yellow Rose of Texas wilts under Maeda's kicks. [B]Nick Bockwinkel[/B] vs. Larry Zbyszko I'm predicting a Race/Brody v. Bockwinkel finals. The Champ will not only prove too much for Larry Land, he'll win the whole darned tourny! :)

Harley Race vs. [B]The Junkyard Dog[/B] Race may be the better wrestler but If JYD ever hits the thump it will be over Antonio Inoki vs. [B]Bruiser Brody[/B] Like D. Boon I feel Brody will rule supreme in this match Akira Maeda vs. [B]David Von Erich[/B] Maeda's kicks might wilte the yellow rose but in the end he'll bloom back to life and take the match ;) Nick Bockwinkel vs. [B]Larry Zbyszko[/B] In all seriousness I think Mr. Bockwinkel will be in larry Land following the match.

Quarterfinals Well the quarterfinals have arrived and I decided to try playing both workers myself this time, rather than letting the CPU control one. It worked pretty well, actually, and came up with some surprising results. Match One features [B]Harley Race [/B] taking on the [B]Junkyard Dog[/B]. Race arguably had the easier opening match, dispatching [B]Bad News Allen [/B] with relative ease. The Junkyard Dog had a much more even match with [B]Jerry Lawler[/B], but the Big Thump Powerslam was an effective difference maker. [U][B]The Match[/B][/U] The Junkyard Dog takes control early in the match with Giant Suplexes and Crawling Headbutts to send Race to the floor. More crawling headbutts and weardown manuevers have JYD firmly in control when he rolls Race back into the ring and the momentum shifts. Race decides he's tired of feeling the Dog's hard skull bouncing off his decides to return the favor. He hits several falling headbutts, mixed with backbreakers and soon it's JYD who's in trouble. The finish of the match is an exciting one. Race avoids the crawling headbutts and hits a Brainbuster Suplex for a near fall. He then hits a hard Running Headbutt, but JYD POPS RIGHT BACK UP and tells Race to bring it!!! Race does with a Tilt-a-Whirl Backbreaker into an Indian Deathlock but the Dog refuses to quit. JYD slips a Brainbuster and starts barking wildly to the fans. He sets Race up for the Big Thump Powerslam, but Race slips out and applies the Main Event Sleeper to put the Dog out. The [B]Winner[/B] at [B]33:00 [/B] with a [B]Main Event Sleeper Hold[/B]...[B]Harley Race[/B]! Rating: B- Easily the best match of the tournament so far!

Archived