King Of The Territories Tournament

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quarterfinals Match Two of the quarterfinals pits the science and skill of the great [B]Antonio[/B] [B]Inoki [/B] against the wildman [B]Bruiser Brody[/B]. Two wildly different styles should make for an interesting match-up. [U][B]The Match[/B][/U] Inoki starts out with kicks and judo throws with Brody countering with rope rakes, knee drops, chokes and a hammerlock drive to the corner. He then proceeds to nail 4, yes 4, Corner Big Boots in a row! Inoki comes back with legsweeps and kicks to keep the bigger man off his feet and tries to keep him grounded with several head scissors. Brody doesn't like that much and roars back with strikes and a choke throw. Inoki throws some more science at Brody with a series of trips, scissors, nerve holds and arm bars, but rather than slowing Brody down, it just seems to make him angry. He rages back hitting a Double Backbreaker, raining brutal forearms down on a helpless Inoki before dragging him to the corner and slamming his leg off the ringpost. Ignoring the referee's warnings, Brody choke Inoki in the corner and hammers him with a chop flurry. Desperately Inoki fights back with a double underhook suplex followed by a belly to belly armbar. Sensing an opening, Inoki charges forward with a Running Enziguri that is countered forcefully by the wildman. With Inoki flat on his back, Brody flie through the air with a Running Knee Drop to get the pinfall. The [B]Winner[/B] at [B]18:00 [/B] with a [B]Running Knee Drop[/B]...[B]Bruiser Brody![/B] Rating: C And so the first semi-final is set and it looks like it could be brutal with Harley Race facing Bruiser Brody!

Quarterfinals Match 3 of the Quarterfinals sees young [B]David Von Erich [/B] taking on [B]Akira Maeda[/B]. Von Erich totally dominated Kevin Sullivan in the first round while Maeda upset the WWF champion, Bob Backlund. Anything could happen here, folks! [U][B]The Match[/B][/U] The bout is pretty evenly contested throughout, with each man wearing the other down. Both are exhausted when Maeda hits a sweeping hip throw for a near fall, followed by a Fisherman's suplex for another near fall. Maeda attempts to lock Von Erich in an Octopus Stretch, but David slips it and tries to hit the Diving DDT. Maeda breaks that so Von Erich gives him an arm wringer and goes for the Iron Claw. Maeda counters that with a devasting S.T.O. and goes for the kill with a Kataha Jime Judo Choke, which Von Erich slips, attempting another Diving DDT. Maeda slips that and applies the Elevated Hammerlock which Von Erich slips again! Von Erich hits a back suplex and a Gorilla Press for a near fall. He then nails Maeda with a dropkick to the knee softening him up for a Brainbuster Suplex. Maeda is unable to counter and David gets the pinfall. The [B]Winner[/B] at [B]26:00 [/B] with a [B]Brainbuster Suplex[/B]...[B]David Von Erich[/B]!

Quarterfinals The fourth and final match of the quarterfinals sees [B]Nick Bockwinkel [/B] facing [B]Larry Zbyszko[/B]. Bockwinkel had the easier first round match against Gran Hamada, while Larry took many, many pencil jabs before defeating The Sheik. This match is hard to predict, but look for both men to bend the rules. [U][B]The Match[/B][/U] As expected, both Bockwinkel and Zbyszko take advantage of the tolerance of the referee, cheating and trash talking each other all the way through the match. It's not a pretty match at all! Bockwinkel softens up Zbyszko with several measured elbows while Larry does the same with his draped second rope butt drops. Once both men are weakened, Bockwinkel tries to get the submission with Figure 4 Leglocks, which Zbyszko slips out of twice. Zbyszko tries to gain the upper hand with a blatant low blow which Bockwinkel avoids. Frustrated, Bockwinkel slips a roll of quarters into his hand and nails Zbyszko hard in the jaw. Quarters fly everywhere and the referee issues a strong warning, but counts the pinfall on an out cold Zbyszko anyway. The [B]Winner[/B] at [B]26:00 [/B] with a [B]Roll Of Quarters Punch[/B]...[B]Nick Bockwinkel[/B]! [B]David Von Erich [/B] had better watch [B]Nick Bockwinkel [/B] carefully in the semifinal match!

[B]Harley Race[/B] vs. Bruiser Brody This might be the toughest match of the entire tournament to predict. Race quite possibly is one of the toughest men in the scenario; experienced, can go over an hour, and has that metal plate in his forehead. Brody, on the other hand, is Brody... I predict that Race wears the big man down and gets the win. David Von Erich vs. [B]Nick Bockwinkel[/B] I was going to go with Von Erich, here - but I... oh, who am I kidding; Bockwinkel rules all! :)

Seminfinals We're down to 4 men and everyone has their eyes on the prize. The first match features two of the toughest men in the business, [B]Harley Race [/B] and [B]Bruiser Brody[/B]. This match is tough to call as both men are able to take a beating and dish one out. [U][B]The Match[/B][/U] The match starts out pretty evenly, with neither man gaining a distinct advantage. Race does his best to work Brody's head and arms with headbutts, kneedrops and arm bars. Brody counters with hammerlock blows and chokes. Things turn mid-match as Brody slips a hammerlock shoulderbreaker and hits a double backbreaker on Race. On the ground, Brody wails away with brutal chops and hammer blows. A choke throw puts Race down again and Brody bites his forehead open. The sight of his own blood awakens a rage in Race and he comes roaring back! Locking Brody in a headlock, he pounds away on the big man's noggin. Several falling headbutts and measured knee drops really seem to weaken Brody as Race locks on a spinning toe hold. Brody refuses to quit so Race slams him to the mat hard, picks him up and locks on a double arm bar takedown. Again Brody refuses to quit so Race applies a Main Event Sleeper. Still Brody hangs on! Angry, Race delivers a nasty Running Headbutt which only nets him a near fall. Brody starts barking to the fans and hits a Double Handed Choke Bomb which gets him a near fall. He misses the Running Knee Drop and Race takes the opportunity to apply another Main Event Sleeper! Brody just will not submit! He slips another attempt at the sleeper and drives his foot in Race's face, flattening him. With a roar Brody comes crashing down hard with a Running Knee Drop! 1...2...3! The [B]Winner[/B] at [B]23:00 [/B] with a [B]Running Knee Drop[/B]...[B]Bruiser Brody![/B] Rating: C+

HAHA! Great match!! I'm very happy to be wrong in my prediction of this one. Just reading the highlights of this was like watching a jip'ed match between the two titans. As a fan, that C+ rating can stay with the smarks; I thought it was the best match of the tourny (so far, at least). Brody has to be the favorite now.

Semifinals In this match to decide who will advance to face Bruiser Brody in the final, we'll see [B]David Von Erich [/B] taking on [B]Nick Bockwinkel[/B]. Von Erich has surprised many by coming this far, but Bockwinkel is much more experienced. Who will prevail? [U][B]The Match[/B][/U] Much of the early part of the match is spent with each man trying to gain the advantage. Both do their best to keep the other grounded with head scissors, knee drops and a variety of takedowns. Neither man is dominant, but gradually both are worn down. It's a matter now of who can hit the biggest move first. The fans go wild as each man takes his turn trying to end the match. Bockwinkel tries the Figure 4, Von Erich slips out. Von Erich tries the Brainbuster Suplex, Bockwinkel slips out. Bockwinkel tries the Main Event Sleeper, Von Erich slips out! Von Erich tries the Iron Claw, Bockwinkel slips out! This continues for a least two minutes until Von Erich slips a German Suplex and hits with a Salto Suplex for a near fall. Von Erich thens goes for a High Cross Body, but Bockwinkel falls on top, getting a near fall of his own. An inverted Atomic Drop followed by a Leaping Piledriver get Von Erich in another pinning predicament, but somehow he finds the strength to kick out! Bockwinkel tries to hit a shoulder breaker, which Von Erich slips, hitting a beautiful belly to back suplex followed by a spinning toehold submission. Bockwinkel won't give up and when Von Erich attempts the Iron Claw, he breaks it and irish whips Von Erich into a high backdrop. Bockwinkel grabs the legs to apply the Figure 4, but Von Erich slips out and nails Bockwinkel with a bionic elbow, stunning the veteran. That's all the opportunity Von Erich needs as he hooks Bockwinkel up for a Brainbuster Suplex to get the three! The [B]Winner[/B] at [B]24:00 [/B] with a [B]Brainbuster Suplex[/B]...[B]David[/B] [B]Von Erich[/B]! The final match is set! Unexpected finalist, [B]David Von Erich [/B] takes on the wildman, [B]Bruiser Brody[/B]! This should be a match to remember!

David was a fantastic wrestler. In the matches I have seen of him, he actually reminded me a lot of his father. Not so much in appearance, as Fritz was huge, but in mannerisms. The one thing I liked about David was you just didn't want to get him angry, heh. He would erupt into these fantastic rages and just maul anyone in sight. Of all the brothers, he was the best - imho. I liked Kevin a lot, but David was so much better. Kerry? Eh... he may have been one of the most exciting wrestlers from his debut until '85-ish. I'll never question that. But once the Chris Adams/Gino Hernandez v. Kevin and Kerry feud ended, Kerry tragically and epically lost it. He could still put on great matches (his Lawler series in the late 80s), but he was in major trouble behind-the-scenes and it showed big time. David was great... but he stands no chance against Brody. None. At least I dont think so. :)

Archived