Masters of the Mat Preview

Rick Arnold

With DOTT pretty much done, I've decided to take some time and work on a new project. Instead of being based in the real world, we thought it'd be interesting to create an original universe, but with a twist. The starting year for the initial database will be 1960. But every few months, another database will be released to reflect the beginning of 1961, with all the changes. Each new year will have the following changes: - Improved or Decreased Worker Stats - Improved or Decreased Promotion Standings - Added Rookie Workers - Added or Removed Promotions - Changes to Workers (Some may Retire and move on to other positions, while others may Leave the Business early or even die) - Added Moves (Some workers may come along and revolutionize the business with a new set of moves) The history of this universe will be documented via a website, giving someone access to title history, promotion history, (hopefully) card history and more. It's no where near finished, but at the moment, I'm working on the U.S. at the moment. At this point in history no actual promotions exist yet, but each region is represented with a Regional promoter and booker. So the U.S. consists of 9 regions: New England Tri-State Midwest Mid-South Pacific Northwest Southwest Southeast Great Lakes Carolinas (Mid-Atlantic, but I decided to name it the Carolinas) Hopefully, each area of the World will be represented in the scenario. Which equals alot of workers... But it should be another fun run.

No, I'm not saying one has to play every new year. If you want to start in '87, you can use the '87 DB and go from there. Maybe someone wants to start a career in '94, when the American Junior scene was a flurry of young and hot talents. Or maybe someone wants to start a career in 1973, when the Dynamic Kid started tearing up the UK wrestling scene. Or perhaps in '82, when the Regional system of the U.S. finally broke down, leading to the emergence of a dominate promotion. It's creating an original universe and offering people to take a run at it from the beginning, or start a career 40 years down the road with a rich history behind it.

I want to give Poser a try, but if anyone knows it well and is willing to make some faces, I'd be more then happy to give you a PM with a few detailed ones that I need at first. I also need promotion logos for anyone who can do it. I'll list the promotions and their styles here.

Alright, at the moment, the following Promotion logos are needed: Remember though, this is based in 1960, so keep it in mind when designing it. Carolina Pro Wrestling (A traditional promotion, based around Mid-Atlantic) Great Lakes Pro Wrestling (A Pure promotion run like a mix of boxing and shoot fighting) Mid-South Pro Wrestling (A hybrid promotion, pretty much based on it's real-life counterpart) Midwest Pro Wrestling (A traditional promotion ran by a former amateur wrestler) New England Pro Wrestling (Sports Entertainment, think the WWF) Pacific Northwest Pro Wrestling (A Cutting Edge promotion owned by a theme park mogul) Southeast Pro Wrestling (A traditional promotion working out of Florida) Southwest Pro Wrestling (A blood and guts Hardcore promotion) Tri-State Pro Wrestling (A hybrid promotion trying to survive between New England and the Carolinas)

Hey, any help on it would be great, yea. For the initial scenario, there will be three Mexico 'promotions'. Northern Mexico Wrestling Council (Hardcore ala WWC), and West Central and South Eastern, the two lucha libre regions. The moves and movesets are copied from the DOTT scenario, which contains several Lucha sets. Although I'm trying to cut down on the flashy top rope moves, but Mexico would be the place where they're popping up. The initial DB is looking for a few established stars and solid veterans, but mainly young rookies.

[QUOTE=Rick Arnold]The moves and movesets are copied from the DOTT scenario, which contains several Lucha sets. Although I'm trying to cut down on the flashy top rope moves, but Mexico would be the place where they're popping up.[/QUOTE] That's certainly true, Leroy McGuirk and Chino Achiu, among others, were using the tope back in 1933, and Gorilita Flores (the man that is said to be the first to use a plancha) and Black Shadow (known for his topes) were wrestling back in the 50's and would be just coming into the popularity they deserve at the start of this db. :) Not that I was doing any studying on the scene at the time or anything. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Alright, here's an update. There's 19 promotions total, encompassing nine U.S. promotions, two Canadian, three Mexican, one Japan, one U.K., one Scotland, one Australia and one New Zealand. At the moment, what I really need is names for Luchadores... I could really use a large list of original luchadore names if anyone is feeling really creative. I've got stats and stuff worked out, but I'm really pressed with coming up with names for them. So any help will be extremely appreciated.

• 1 month later...
A long overdue update, as I continue to pound away on it. A tournament is in the planning stages, that will pit 32 of the universe's best wrestlers to crown the very first PWA World Heavyweight Champion (as well as determining the title's home and which lucky owner gets to take reigns as President).

Archived