Webber trade

Guest IrishHand

Guest IrishHand
What sort of idiot is Petrie? I understand trading Webber as a salary dump - his $62M for the next 3 seasons is pretty onerous. If it's a dump, though, how on earth do you not get Glenn Robinson's expiring $12M deal?? How do you accept getting not one, not two, but three undersized PFs?? The Kings managed to both downgrade their team while getting very little financial relief. The benefit to keeping Webber is that you either get an All-Star forward OR he gets hurt and insurance covers 80% of his salary. Now...they have three forwards who make more combined than Webber AND will get straight embarassed by the elite PF crew in the West on a regular basis. Most NBA deals are justifiable...I'm just not sure how Sacramento justifies this one unless they declare: we wanted to dump Webber at all costs, we're a better team simply with him gone, and Williamson, Thomas and Skinner was the best we could get. Really - if the goal was just dumping him, why didn't they dump him on the Knicks? At least they'd have gotten Kurt Thomas back, and Thomas would actually be a big help to the Kings. You've gotta think that Dallas might have been willing to take on his salary too. Just mystefying to me...

well as a Sixers fan i am pretty happy about the trade the Kings do get 3 guys who come to work every night but are overpaid and have long term contracts. The way i see it you can only have 1 PF on the floor at once. If the Sixers stay healthy i am now actually looking forward to the post season.

I can't imagine the Kings dealing Webber and getting 3 role players in return (none of which has a large expiring contract next year). Even to rid themselves of 3 more years of Webber's contract, the Kings were totally robbed. They went from a top 4 Western conference team to a first round ouster this year. Makes no sense. There had to be better offers out there.

Wow, what a horrible trade by Sacramento. Don't get me wrong, Thomas and Williamson are decent players but that's all they are and they're both overpaid on top of it. Webber might be overpaid but at least he's going to put up good numbers. This won't get Philly to the Finals but it will do something more important and that's placate AI. If Iverson were to leave the team would lose major ticket sales and merchandise sales and instantly would drop off the national TV schedule. I don't have a problem with Sacramento dealing Webber for less talent but at least get the benefit of helping your future with the deal. They're just as hamstrung with these contracts are they were with his. How they could make this deal and not get Glenn Robsinson back baffles me as well Irish. Losing Webber won't be the downfall of this franchise but what they got back just might be.

Guest IrishHand
Apparently, the Sixers felt bad about bending the Kings over - so they went and made a [b]brutal[/b] trade with the Hornets: Glenn Robinson (expiring $12M contract) for Mashburn ($9M this year, $10M next year) and Rodney Rogers ($2.7M this year) Now, I know that insurance will actually pay 80% of Mash's contract next year - but it still counts against the cap. Philly basically took on $10M against the cap next season in order to get Rodney Rogers for 3 months...the same Rodney Rogers that nobody wanted last summer when he was a free agent and the same Rodney Rogers who's shooting 38% from the floor and 27% from 3-land for the hapless Hornets. Plus...it's not like Rogers really fills a need for Philly anyway. Dalembert, Marc Jackson and Webber are the 3-man post rotation. Korver and Iguodala are their SG/SF swingmen, alongside Iverson, Green and Salmons. Just seems like a mindless deal to me - especially in light of Cleveland getting Jiri Welsch (a far better player than Rogers) for a distant 1st-rounder.

Rogers is an O'Brien kind of player. He is a perimeter player that will take the pressure off Webber in the post. As a Celtics fan these trades move the 76'ers to the top of the division and amongst the top 3-4 teams in the conference.

Guest IrishHand
[b]He is a perimeter player that will take the pressure off Webber in the post.[/b] I'd say that's doubtful. Some players seem to live off reputations they built long ago. It's been 3 years since Rogers was anything other than a poor 3-point or jump shooter. This year he's been atrocious (27%), the past two seasons just below-average (33% both years). His overall FG% the past three years has been just under 40%. This isn't a guy who takes pressure off Webber. This is a guy the other team [i]wants[/i] to take as many shots as possible. Rogers is poor defensively, is an average rebounder and has developed into a very bad shooter. Sorry, I just can't get how getting him is an upgrade for Philly or any other team - nevermind the $10M cap hit they take next year to get him.

[QUOTE=Danny Drickman]As a Lakers fan, I love this trade.[/QUOTE] Though I agree with you, imagine if all the other Western teams started making trades like this. Sure, it might be good for us but it would kill the challenge part of the game. When something becomes too easy, it becomes boring.

Archived