NBA Trade Deadline musings

Guest IrishHand

Guest IrishHand
(1) The Mohammed trade from the Knicks can best be summed up by ESPN's Dan Shanoff: [quote]Two Words For You: GENERAL. MISMANAGER. It's official, unless you had already figured it out by now: Isiah has ruined the Knicks. In one day. Again. (Sigh.) *Traded away his one legit C. *Traded for 2 6-6 "power" Fs. *Took on $32M in new salary. Other GMs must salivate working with him, because he's such a nincompoop. I'd rather root for a team run by misers than run by the budget-busting Thomas. At least the misers have room to grow if they change their mind. Isiah has locked the Knicks into mediocrity -- or worse -- for the rest of the decade. Just when there appeared to be light coming from, oh, say, 2007 or so ... Rebuilding has always been a curse word for the Knicks, and that underlying principle has kept (and will continue to keep) the team the NBA's No. 1 embarrassment in its No. 1 market. Say it with me: Worst. GM. Ever.[/quote] (2) Celtics (re-)aquire Antoine Walker. I applauded Ainge for trading Walker a year and a half ago for Welsch, LaFrentz and the 2004 DAL 1st round pick although many people bashed him for it. Well...LaFrentz got healthy and has been a solid post player, contributing solid "d" and stretching defenses. Welsch was recently turned into a 2007 1st rounder and the DAL 1st turned into Tony Allen. On the flip side, Walker was a poor fit in Dallas and was dumped on Atlanta last summer for Jason Terry and Alan Henderson. At any rate, Ainge now gets back the debatable All-Star Antoine in exchange for Payton and a future 1st. Payton was acquired for Chris Mihm and Chucky Atkins, essentially. Break it all down and what do we have? Boston trades Chris Mihm and Chucky Atkins for Raef LaFrentz and Tony Allen. Seems like a pretty sweet deal to me. As for the latest Walker deal all by itself, the only place that Walker seemed to have a positive impact was in Boston during their two surprise playoff years before their tanking a couple of seasons ago which led to Ainge's hiring and 'Toine's exodus. Both Payton and Walker have expiring deals, so the deal has negligible long-term financial consequences for either team. Boston gets a potential sparkplug at the cost of a pouty, aging PG (although admittedly their only solid PG at this point - but 'Toine fancies himself a PG). (3) Baron/Webber deals - so long as the principal in either deal stays healthy, these deals are complete steals by the Sixers and Warriors. They each gave up nothing of consequence and netted an All-Star making max dollars. (4) Van Horn to Dallas for Booth/Henderson - just furthers my belief that Don Nelson is an Isiah-like bust as a GM. What does Dallas need? Defense and rebounding. What do they trade for? A max-dollar player who's sole forte is scoring. Nice. Bottom line: Cuban just sanctioned the acquisition of a backup PF (you think he's going to start over Dirk? Or even Josh Howard?) who'll make $16M next year.

My god, I got sick watching the Warriors, and 76ers steal those guys. My first thought was that my Pacers should have offered .... Pollard, Croshere, James Jones, Anthony Johnson for Webber. Johnathan Bender, and Tinsley for Baron Davis. We'd have ran with PG - Baron SG - Reggie SF - Stephen Jackson PF - Webber C - Jermaine O'Neal Hell, we're in the East. We can get away with O'Neal or Webber playing Center. Those deals I think are cap happy, not sure, and they're as good as what the teams got for them in their actual deals. Amusing.

I actually like the Van Horn Deal, They get another option for the playoffs. KVH could be a great addition as 6th man, and they didn't give up squat. Booth and Henderson are nothing but Roster filler. Expensive Roster filler at that. as far as the Knicks Deals, Nazr is so incredibly over rated it's not even funny

Archived