Recruiting and figuring out players

Well, I'm always open to advice so feel free to pass some my way. I started with Houston, got fired and am currently with East Carolina. 14 years and I'm 34-129 (31-88). I get very few 2 star players interested in my teams (ever). I can't even get the one good "interested" kid that e-mails me every year. I've yet to get anyone not a 10 in interest so what I've been doing is scouting a bunch of players then going through their ratings and taking the best of the bunch that I can sign. That's not really working well either though. Here's one for you to figure out, my three QB's with 50-58 accuracy ratings are never over 40% on completions. Then I got this kid, Austin Aguilar. He's listed as a mobile QB, 6'0, 206lb. He's a senior in the current season. His accuracy rating is 35, touch is 31, running is 59. Potential from my scouts is "Accuracy is a weakness. Something he'll always have to battle. Not a very good touch passer. Most feel he won't ever be successful in this area." This seems to sum him up pretty well looking at his ratings. Now, I got desparate last year when my first three QB's went down with injury. In 6 games, Aguilar won 4 of them hitting 53.5% of his passes, 11 TD and 4 Int's. This year in 7 games, he's 50% completion, 17 TD and 9 Int. Not bad numbers from what I'm used to seeing (try 3td to 19 int for my "most accurate QB- 50 accuracy/51 touch). No rhyme or reason to Aguilar's "success". Any tips on how to read my players better or scout better?

Well, I'd guess what you see from scouting is influenced by the Coordinator for that side of the ball. And maybe by what you spend on a couple of those budget items where I'm not sure what they do. I've noticed on my teams, some players do appear to be mis-scouted. By that I mean the scout reports say one player should be better than the other, but the opposite happens when you play them both. I kinda like that. It means I got to pay attention to my team and realize that backup who was just getting a few minutes a game has actually been playing pretty good. Then, who cares how the coaches eval'd him ... he's going to get more PT.

Well, I'd guess what you see from scouting is influenced by the Coordinator for that side of the ball. And maybe by what you spend on a couple of those budget items where I'm not sure what they do. I've noticed on my teams, some players do appear to be mis-scouted. By that I mean the scout reports say one player should be better than the other, but the opposite happens when you play them both. I kinda like that. It means I got to pay attention to my team and realize that backup who was just getting a few minutes a game has actually been playing pretty good. Then, who cares how the coaches eval'd him ... he's going to get more PT.

Archived