question about poser

Tyler Gadzinski

You can get Poser [URL="http://www.e-frontier.com/"]here[/URL]. It might be an idea to wait a while though because I know that the latest version, Poser 7, is just around the corner. It'll retail at $249.99. I myself use Daz Studio which is free to download and use but you'll have to buy some products to get the full use out of it. You can get Studio from the Daz Website [URL="http://www.daz3d.com/index.php?refid=530735730&b=13"]here[/URL]. Currently they're having an October Anniversary Special for all of their Platinum Club Members. Basically if you're a Platinum Club Member then you'll instantly get a 50% discount off anything you buy in their store during October, not to mention daily deals for members only. There are also hundreds of products that remain at a constant $1.99 price for their members throughout the year. For Poser I can't help you at all as I don't use it. Studio I know comes with some tutorials which use some of the content that comes with it. It might be an idea to download it and try the tutorial just to see if it's the right program for you, it's free afterall. There are also hundreds of tutorials scattered around the internet for both Poser and Studio. Or you could just post any queries you've got in The Render Thread in the TEW Mod forum as others might be having the same troubles. If it's Studio related then i'll try to help out, if it's Poser related then i'm sure Clarity wouldn't mind helping you out with his expertise. :)

You can get Poser [URL="http://www.e-frontier.com/"]here[/URL]. It might be an idea to wait a while though because I know that the latest version, Poser 7, is just around the corner. It'll retail at $249.99. I myself use Daz Studio which is free to download and use but you'll have to buy some products to get the full use out of it. You can get Studio from the Daz Website [URL="http://www.daz3d.com/index.php?refid=530735730&b=13"]here[/URL]. Currently they're having an October Anniversary Special for all of their Platinum Club Members. Basically if you're a Platinum Club Member then you'll instantly get a 50% discount off anything you buy in their store during October, not to mention daily deals for members only. There are also hundreds of products that remain at a constant $1.99 price for their members throughout the year. For Poser I can't help you at all as I don't use it. Studio I know comes with some tutorials which use some of the content that comes with it. It might be an idea to download it and try the tutorial just to see if it's the right program for you, it's free afterall. There are also hundreds of tutorials scattered around the internet for both Poser and Studio. Or you could just post any queries you've got in The Render Thread in the TEW Mod forum as others might be having the same troubles. If it's Studio related then i'll try to help out, if it's Poser related then i'm sure Clarity wouldn't mind helping you out with his expertise. :)

[QUOTE=Tyler Gadzinski;156015]How do you get pics of people you make and does anyone have a manual for it thanks for the help.[/QUOTE] Poser has a render button (Ussually on the top of the first screen, between display and Animation), you can use it from the first screen. You can then make a picture (the older versions only allowed bitmap, the newer ones JPG images), from the File Button. File/Export/Image, and then you can save it to where you want. Hope this helps. Note : You guys can send poser files back and forth for rendering in different areas. Poser allows alot more flexibility in poses and such, where the Daz Studio seems to be more for perfect picture type stuff.

[QUOTE=Tyler Gadzinski;156015]How do you get pics of people you make and does anyone have a manual for it thanks for the help.[/QUOTE] Poser has a render button (Ussually on the top of the first screen, between display and Animation), you can use it from the first screen. You can then make a picture (the older versions only allowed bitmap, the newer ones JPG images), from the File Button. File/Export/Image, and then you can save it to where you want. Hope this helps. Note : You guys can send poser files back and forth for rendering in different areas. Poser allows alot more flexibility in poses and such, where the Daz Studio seems to be more for perfect picture type stuff.

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;156044]Poser allows alot more flexibility in poses and such, where the Daz Studio seems to be more for perfect picture type stuff.[/QUOTE] I wouldn't necessarily say that. In Studio I can pose anybody in any pose that I want to. The majority of my pictures that i've done aren't in any sort of pose simply due to the fact that at 150x150 pixels the pose usually gets in the way of seeing the character. It's not always the case though as seen in these three: [IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/TheUndertakersGraveyard/DAZ/JayTunstall.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/TheUndertakersGraveyard/DAZ/MadMikeHannigan.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/TheUndertakersGraveyard/DAZ/TheEgo.png[/IMG] If i'm doing bigger pictures however I'll do poses for them like in these two: [IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/TheUndertakersGraveyard/DAZ/StreetsWilson.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/TheUndertakersGraveyard/DAZ/RobbyNarrow.png[/IMG] Problem being is that if they're used at 150x150 then you wont see the poses anyway, unless you include the whole picture at 150x150 but then you wont see the characters face.

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;156044]Poser allows alot more flexibility in poses and such, where the Daz Studio seems to be more for perfect picture type stuff.[/QUOTE] I wouldn't necessarily say that. In Studio I can pose anybody in any pose that I want to. The majority of my pictures that i've done aren't in any sort of pose simply due to the fact that at 150x150 pixels the pose usually gets in the way of seeing the character. It's not always the case though as seen in these three: [IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/TheUndertakersGraveyard/DAZ/JayTunstall.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/TheUndertakersGraveyard/DAZ/MadMikeHannigan.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/TheUndertakersGraveyard/DAZ/TheEgo.png[/IMG] If i'm doing bigger pictures however I'll do poses for them like in these two: [IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/TheUndertakersGraveyard/DAZ/StreetsWilson.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/TheUndertakersGraveyard/DAZ/RobbyNarrow.png[/IMG] Problem being is that if they're used at 150x150 then you wont see the poses anyway, unless you include the whole picture at 150x150 but then you wont see the characters face.

[QUOTE=Tyler Gadzinski;156015]How do you get pics of people you make and does anyone have a manual for it thanks for the help.[/QUOTE] Poser comes with the manual included - it should be under the Help menu. There's two versions, one is a "quick" version, one is a lengthier technical version.

[QUOTE=Tyler Gadzinski;156015]How do you get pics of people you make and does anyone have a manual for it thanks for the help.[/QUOTE] Poser comes with the manual included - it should be under the Help menu. There's two versions, one is a "quick" version, one is a lengthier technical version.

[QUOTE=Undertaker666;156027]You can get Poser [URL="http://www.e-frontier.com/"]here[/URL]. It might be an idea to wait a while though because I know that the latest version, Poser 7, is just around the corner. It'll retail at $249.99. I myself use Daz Studio which is free to download and use but you'll have to buy some products to get the full use out of it. You can get Studio from the Daz Website [URL="http://www.daz3d.com/index.php?refid=530735730&b=13"]here[/URL]. Currently they're having an October Anniversary Special for all of their Platinum Club Members. Basically if you're a Platinum Club Member then you'll instantly get a 50% discount off anything you buy in their store during October, not to mention daily deals for members only. There are also hundreds of products that remain at a constant $1.99 price for their members throughout the year. For Poser I can't help you at all as I don't use it. Studio I know comes with some tutorials which use some of the content that comes with it. It might be an idea to download it and try the tutorial just to see if it's the right program for you, it's free afterall. There are also hundreds of tutorials scattered around the internet for both Poser and Studio. Or you could just post any queries you've got in The Render Thread in the TEW Mod forum as others might be having the same troubles. If it's Studio related then i'll try to help out, if it's Poser related then i'm sure Clarity wouldn't mind helping you out with his expertise. :)[/QUOTE] I was asking cuz i already bought Poser and didnt know how to do some things thanks for all the help.

[QUOTE=Undertaker666;156027]You can get Poser [URL="http://www.e-frontier.com/"]here[/URL]. It might be an idea to wait a while though because I know that the latest version, Poser 7, is just around the corner. It'll retail at $249.99. I myself use Daz Studio which is free to download and use but you'll have to buy some products to get the full use out of it. You can get Studio from the Daz Website [URL="http://www.daz3d.com/index.php?refid=530735730&b=13"]here[/URL]. Currently they're having an October Anniversary Special for all of their Platinum Club Members. Basically if you're a Platinum Club Member then you'll instantly get a 50% discount off anything you buy in their store during October, not to mention daily deals for members only. There are also hundreds of products that remain at a constant $1.99 price for their members throughout the year. For Poser I can't help you at all as I don't use it. Studio I know comes with some tutorials which use some of the content that comes with it. It might be an idea to download it and try the tutorial just to see if it's the right program for you, it's free afterall. There are also hundreds of tutorials scattered around the internet for both Poser and Studio. Or you could just post any queries you've got in The Render Thread in the TEW Mod forum as others might be having the same troubles. If it's Studio related then i'll try to help out, if it's Poser related then i'm sure Clarity wouldn't mind helping you out with his expertise. :)[/QUOTE] I was asking cuz i already bought Poser and didnt know how to do some things thanks for all the help.

Undertaker, I wasn't trying to put down the DaZ Studio, in fact I love the fact that DAZ is trying to keep it as free as possible. A good place to find alot of free stuff used to be renderosity.com. I haven't played around with DAZ studio that much, but your post kind of emphasize's my "perfect picture type stuff" phrase. In poser you can animate them, make a movie, save them as OBJ. and many other types of movie and 3D type things, as well as import... For example, you can use your favority 3D program and make any type of creation you want, from a person to a house, whatever... then import it into poser, you can give it a skeletal structure if it does not have one, and then you can animate it how you want. I'm not sure how much of this DAZ studio can do, but he made that program as an alternative to POSER, because of the high expense of poser (or used to be). I believe keeping it free helps him to not have to worry about copyright infringement for using alot of the same type of feature's (its different enough in my opinion he wouldn't have had to though).

Undertaker, I wasn't trying to put down the DaZ Studio, in fact I love the fact that DAZ is trying to keep it as free as possible. A good place to find alot of free stuff used to be renderosity.com. I haven't played around with DAZ studio that much, but your post kind of emphasize's my "perfect picture type stuff" phrase. In poser you can animate them, make a movie, save them as OBJ. and many other types of movie and 3D type things, as well as import... For example, you can use your favority 3D program and make any type of creation you want, from a person to a house, whatever... then import it into poser, you can give it a skeletal structure if it does not have one, and then you can animate it how you want. I'm not sure how much of this DAZ studio can do, but he made that program as an alternative to POSER, because of the high expense of poser (or used to be). I believe keeping it free helps him to not have to worry about copyright infringement for using alot of the same type of feature's (its different enough in my opinion he wouldn't have had to though).

[quote]In poser you can animate them, make a movie, save them as OBJ. and many other types of movie and 3D type things, as well as import...[/quote] In Daz Studio you can do animations, save them as OBJ and BVH files too. You can also import any Poser files, OBJ's, Biovision files etc. Plus because Studio is created side by side with Bryce, you can always import things into Bryce which you normally wouldn't be able to get into Studio (3D Studio Max files for example) and import them that way. Also if I remember correctly, Daz produced a digital christmas story for a company, all posed and animated in Studio so the animation tools are definitely there. [quote]For example, you can use your favorite 3D program and make any type of creation you want, from a person to a house, whatever... then import it into poser, you can give it a skeletal structure if it does not have one, and then you can animate it how you want.[/quote] Same with Daz's Studio, the wrestling ring I made in a 3D package is compatible with Studio, all i've got to do is save it as an OBJ file and import it should I ever feel the need. I've only mainly posted pictures of people because that's how I started in 3D, creating pictures of characters for TEW. As i've learnt more though i'm starting to try and do things which are a bit different. Have a look at this picture [url]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/TheUndertakersGraveyard/Bryce/Street.jpg[/url] (keep in mind that's just the basic render with no post work added to it) Everything, background scenery included, was posed, positioned and lighted in Studio. Once i'd done all that I put it into Bryce to render it just because of some added features that Bryce has. You can have pretty much anything you want in Studio though: skeletal structure, houses, mountain ranges, forests, city blocks, cars, planes and so on. [quote]I'm not sure how much of this DAZ studio can do, but he made that program as an alternative to POSER, because of the high expense of poser (or used to be). I believe keeping it free helps him to not have to worry about copyright infringement for using alot of the same type of feature's (its different enough in my opinion he wouldn't have had to though).[/quote] What I like about Daz's Studio is the fact that it's free. When I first looked into doing characters for TEW I looked at Poser which was a few hundred dollars, and then Studio which was free. It didn't take me long to choose which one I was going to download! I never even used Poser until there was an offer to get Poser 5 for free. I gave it a try but it seemed to be over complicated to do the simplest of things, Studio's interface in my opinion is far more intuitive. Another reason I prefer Studio over Poser is cost again but for a different reason. Studio may not have [B]all[/B] the features of Poser but you can always buy add-on packs for stuff that you might need to use. Lip-synching for example is a new feature in Poser 7, I however can't ever see myself using such a feature so i'd feel annoyed that i'd have to buy something that I wasn't going to use. Studio has the option for lip-synching if you want it and so can add the feature at your leisure. That's the best thing I like about Studio - choice, you can tailor it to suit your needs as and when you want to. Another black spot on Poser's name for me is the frequency of their releases. If I remember correctly, Poser 6 was released earlier this year and yet they're now planning on releasing Poser 7 which means more than a $100 if you want to buy the basic upgrade. Daz's Studio is free and the updates are free. I know you're not trying to put down Daz's Studio and I hope you realise i'm not trying to put down Poser either, i'm merely giving my opinion and reasons as to why I prefer Studio. Poser's a good package don't get me wrong, but it's not for me. Anyway, hope i've given you some food for thought! :)

[quote]In poser you can animate them, make a movie, save them as OBJ. and many other types of movie and 3D type things, as well as import...[/quote] In Daz Studio you can do animations, save them as OBJ and BVH files too. You can also import any Poser files, OBJ's, Biovision files etc. Plus because Studio is created side by side with Bryce, you can always import things into Bryce which you normally wouldn't be able to get into Studio (3D Studio Max files for example) and import them that way. Also if I remember correctly, Daz produced a digital christmas story for a company, all posed and animated in Studio so the animation tools are definitely there. [quote]For example, you can use your favorite 3D program and make any type of creation you want, from a person to a house, whatever... then import it into poser, you can give it a skeletal structure if it does not have one, and then you can animate it how you want.[/quote] Same with Daz's Studio, the wrestling ring I made in a 3D package is compatible with Studio, all i've got to do is save it as an OBJ file and import it should I ever feel the need. I've only mainly posted pictures of people because that's how I started in 3D, creating pictures of characters for TEW. As i've learnt more though i'm starting to try and do things which are a bit different. Have a look at this picture [url]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/TheUndertakersGraveyard/Bryce/Street.jpg[/url] (keep in mind that's just the basic render with no post work added to it) Everything, background scenery included, was posed, positioned and lighted in Studio. Once i'd done all that I put it into Bryce to render it just because of some added features that Bryce has. You can have pretty much anything you want in Studio though: skeletal structure, houses, mountain ranges, forests, city blocks, cars, planes and so on. [quote]I'm not sure how much of this DAZ studio can do, but he made that program as an alternative to POSER, because of the high expense of poser (or used to be). I believe keeping it free helps him to not have to worry about copyright infringement for using alot of the same type of feature's (its different enough in my opinion he wouldn't have had to though).[/quote] What I like about Daz's Studio is the fact that it's free. When I first looked into doing characters for TEW I looked at Poser which was a few hundred dollars, and then Studio which was free. It didn't take me long to choose which one I was going to download! I never even used Poser until there was an offer to get Poser 5 for free. I gave it a try but it seemed to be over complicated to do the simplest of things, Studio's interface in my opinion is far more intuitive. Another reason I prefer Studio over Poser is cost again but for a different reason. Studio may not have [B]all[/B] the features of Poser but you can always buy add-on packs for stuff that you might need to use. Lip-synching for example is a new feature in Poser 7, I however can't ever see myself using such a feature so i'd feel annoyed that i'd have to buy something that I wasn't going to use. Studio has the option for lip-synching if you want it and so can add the feature at your leisure. That's the best thing I like about Studio - choice, you can tailor it to suit your needs as and when you want to. Another black spot on Poser's name for me is the frequency of their releases. If I remember correctly, Poser 6 was released earlier this year and yet they're now planning on releasing Poser 7 which means more than a $100 if you want to buy the basic upgrade. Daz's Studio is free and the updates are free. I know you're not trying to put down Daz's Studio and I hope you realise i'm not trying to put down Poser either, i'm merely giving my opinion and reasons as to why I prefer Studio. Poser's a good package don't get me wrong, but it's not for me. Anyway, hope i've given you some food for thought! :)

"Anyway, hope i've given you some food for thought!" Yep, or more likely a nice education:-) I don't have that much knowledge on Studio, and the information you just gave is very nice to know. Also, the last poser I believe I really messed with, was Poser 5, which didn't have any lip sync in it. The thing was a gift to me, and although I got into it for a good while, I never really mastered it, probably from the examples you gave of it being a little less then user friendly. I remember the lyp sync being available back then, as an add on as well. I believe it was made by DAZ, but not sure, might have just been available at the DAZ websight. There is no doubt that DAZ is the biggest innovater for 3d work such as this, just looking at some of the models only available through them for example... Michael, Victoria3 (do they have a 4 or 5 yet?). The fact of the matter is, I am a huge fan of DAZ, just by that mention of their character development... The first Victoria was untouchable by the Poser models, and then they outdid themselve's with the next two versions of her. You can almost make them look 100% real if you wanted too (had a computer that could handle the higher rendering that it would take, and be able to use very realistic (and very high quality) skins). I think DAZ studio might have evolved from what I messed around with, I don't remember being able to fully animate (make them walk, talk, etc.) them in Studio. However I remember being able to put them exactly where I wanted to, move them where I wanted, and things of that nature. Thankyou again for that very incitefull post, I might go download it again, and check it out. I believe I still can download the models I bought from them before if I can remember exactly how to do that. Probably isn't complicated though, from what I remember.

"Anyway, hope i've given you some food for thought!" Yep, or more likely a nice education:-) I don't have that much knowledge on Studio, and the information you just gave is very nice to know. Also, the last poser I believe I really messed with, was Poser 5, which didn't have any lip sync in it. The thing was a gift to me, and although I got into it for a good while, I never really mastered it, probably from the examples you gave of it being a little less then user friendly. I remember the lyp sync being available back then, as an add on as well. I believe it was made by DAZ, but not sure, might have just been available at the DAZ websight. There is no doubt that DAZ is the biggest innovater for 3d work such as this, just looking at some of the models only available through them for example... Michael, Victoria3 (do they have a 4 or 5 yet?). The fact of the matter is, I am a huge fan of DAZ, just by that mention of their character development... The first Victoria was untouchable by the Poser models, and then they outdid themselve's with the next two versions of her. You can almost make them look 100% real if you wanted too (had a computer that could handle the higher rendering that it would take, and be able to use very realistic (and very high quality) skins). I think DAZ studio might have evolved from what I messed around with, I don't remember being able to fully animate (make them walk, talk, etc.) them in Studio. However I remember being able to put them exactly where I wanted to, move them where I wanted, and things of that nature. Thankyou again for that very incitefull post, I might go download it again, and check it out. I believe I still can download the models I bought from them before if I can remember exactly how to do that. Probably isn't complicated though, from what I remember.

I'm by no means a master of Studio and i'm constantly on the quest to find ways of making my renders look better. That being said, i'm able to use Studio at the moment to suit my needs. I might try Poser again at some point later in time but only if it's at a price that could justify me leaving a free program behind. The Victoria 4 model has been in development for a while now but all the Daz Platinum Club Members are waiting in anticipation for next Tuesday. Although it's not been announced that it will be released, Daz has mentioned there'll be 'something special' released for their Anniversary Sale that's currently running. That 'something special' might have been releasing Bryce 6 for $6 but roll on Tuesday I say, just in case. ;) As for animations, I myself have not even looked at using it to be honest because I don't currently need to, same as lip-syncing. Other people use it though so I wouldn't think it's too limited otherwise they'd use another program to animate with. As for models you've previously bought, if you login to your account and go to your Itemised Download History. Thenk click on Reset next to the model you want to download it should reset the link and put it in your Available Downloads section.

I'm by no means a master of Studio and i'm constantly on the quest to find ways of making my renders look better. That being said, i'm able to use Studio at the moment to suit my needs. I might try Poser again at some point later in time but only if it's at a price that could justify me leaving a free program behind. The Victoria 4 model has been in development for a while now but all the Daz Platinum Club Members are waiting in anticipation for next Tuesday. Although it's not been announced that it will be released, Daz has mentioned there'll be 'something special' released for their Anniversary Sale that's currently running. That 'something special' might have been releasing Bryce 6 for $6 but roll on Tuesday I say, just in case. ;) As for animations, I myself have not even looked at using it to be honest because I don't currently need to, same as lip-syncing. Other people use it though so I wouldn't think it's too limited otherwise they'd use another program to animate with. As for models you've previously bought, if you login to your account and go to your Itemised Download History. Thenk click on Reset next to the model you want to download it should reset the link and put it in your Available Downloads section.

Archived