Winning while simming: with poor schools

Started with University of Houston, got fired, moved to East Carolina, got fired, currently with Indiana. Best season ever was 5-6 in this current career. I've done well and competed for national championships with Michigan, Florida State and others, but the "low end" team that I wanted to try appears impossible. With Houston and ECU I was NEVER able to get a 3 star player and lost most 2 stars as well, even if they had a 10 in interest. With Indiana, I'm getting 2 stars and an occasional 3 star player but no 4 or 5 that you need to compete in the Big 10. My career mark is 47-162 (40-112) in this career. Anyone with success at a small school and willing to share any insights on how to compete?

Generally all I play with are poor schools. Currently I just got Illinois into the Rose Bowl (it took me awhile, 10 seasons). Schedule four non conference games against teams that are beatable. Even a two win IU should be able to handle a winless lower school. When setting my schedule I always look at the History for the previous years rankings and try to get the 119, 118, 117, 116 schools etc (schools that always lose or just win a game or two). This should give IU 3-4 wins right away. Then all you need to do is win 2 games in the Big Ten and you should be Bowl Bound. Consecutive Bowl appearances will raise your prestige, which in the long run helps recruiting. Also as you win more games it helps recruiting. Focus your recruiting in the Midwest so your money goes farther. Don't be afraid to switch player positions. For example I have landed 1 star QBs that were rated in the high 70s in running, so I switch them to RB and they end up being three star RBs. Look at the ST stats; if you see a 1 star WR or CB with good KR or PR stats recruit them; you'll find they make good returners. I've gotten some good KR people this way. Use all of your schlarships even if it is on a 1 star player; you'll find a 1 star player is often better than getting a walk on. Recruit smart players with high GPAs & Test scores when possible, that way when training it frees up the academic time to use elsewhere. Go after any transfer players with a very high interest. Hire coaches with good motivation and game plans since they tend to accomplish more with less. Hope some of this helps.

Generally all I play with are poor schools. Currently I just got Illinois into the Rose Bowl (it took me awhile, 10 seasons). Schedule four non conference games against teams that are beatable. Even a two win IU should be able to handle a winless lower school. When setting my schedule I always look at the History for the previous years rankings and try to get the 119, 118, 117, 116 schools etc (schools that always lose or just win a game or two). This should give IU 3-4 wins right away. Then all you need to do is win 2 games in the Big Ten and you should be Bowl Bound. Consecutive Bowl appearances will raise your prestige, which in the long run helps recruiting. Also as you win more games it helps recruiting. Focus your recruiting in the Midwest so your money goes farther. Don't be afraid to switch player positions. For example I have landed 1 star QBs that were rated in the high 70s in running, so I switch them to RB and they end up being three star RBs. Look at the ST stats; if you see a 1 star WR or CB with good KR or PR stats recruit them; you'll find they make good returners. I've gotten some good KR people this way. Use all of your schlarships even if it is on a 1 star player; you'll find a 1 star player is often better than getting a walk on. Recruit smart players with high GPAs & Test scores when possible, that way when training it frees up the academic time to use elsewhere. Go after any transfer players with a very high interest. Hire coaches with good motivation and game plans since they tend to accomplish more with less. Hope some of this helps.

i have to agree with young puppy, the Kansas State Coach Synder approach is the best way to build up a bottom dweller. After a couple seasons of bowl games your start to see better recruits showing up at your program. But be prepared to go through some rough years at first, but after 5-7 seasons you should see a nice imprvement, around season 10, you should be battling with the big boys.

i have to agree with young puppy, the Kansas State Coach Synder approach is the best way to build up a bottom dweller. After a couple seasons of bowl games your start to see better recruits showing up at your program. But be prepared to go through some rough years at first, but after 5-7 seasons you should see a nice imprvement, around season 10, you should be battling with the big boys.

I am currently working with FAU. The first 2 seasons were rough (4-7, 0-12) but I'm getting ready to start my 6th season and I have gone to the New Orleanes Bowl the last two years. My prestiege is still low because I'm playing in the Sun Belt and my talent is still limited, but we are winning. What I have done is focus on coaching. I have talented coaches who are very good at gameplanning and motivation, and are also average to above average at developing players. I get the best ST coach I can who has no offers and low ball him, he usually leaves at the end of the season, but the 25-50,000 that is saved can be used on the other coordinators. For the first two years I only used the bargain scouting service and only recruited players in my area. After two respectable recruiting classes, I went up to the middle service, but still focused my money on my area (45K for SE, and 15K for the rest) and I have still been able to land players all over the country (had players from CA, WA, IA, MN, IN, NE, and NJ this last year). One thing that I have done is look through my home state in the last week of recruiting for good recruits who are marginally interested (5-7) in my school and have no offers from top schools on their list. This has landed me anywhere from 1-4 recruits who have 7 or less interest. One thing I would do is pay attention to the type of players in your state/area. I'm in Florida and since there are lots of exceptional athletes in Florida, I got coaches who specialize in Vertical Passing and the 3-4, and recruit players to fit the system. This is not perfect, but it has worked for me (so far).

I am currently working with FAU. The first 2 seasons were rough (4-7, 0-12) but I'm getting ready to start my 6th season and I have gone to the New Orleanes Bowl the last two years. My prestiege is still low because I'm playing in the Sun Belt and my talent is still limited, but we are winning. What I have done is focus on coaching. I have talented coaches who are very good at gameplanning and motivation, and are also average to above average at developing players. I get the best ST coach I can who has no offers and low ball him, he usually leaves at the end of the season, but the 25-50,000 that is saved can be used on the other coordinators. For the first two years I only used the bargain scouting service and only recruited players in my area. After two respectable recruiting classes, I went up to the middle service, but still focused my money on my area (45K for SE, and 15K for the rest) and I have still been able to land players all over the country (had players from CA, WA, IA, MN, IN, NE, and NJ this last year). One thing that I have done is look through my home state in the last week of recruiting for good recruits who are marginally interested (5-7) in my school and have no offers from top schools on their list. This has landed me anywhere from 1-4 recruits who have 7 or less interest. One thing I would do is pay attention to the type of players in your state/area. I'm in Florida and since there are lots of exceptional athletes in Florida, I got coaches who specialize in Vertical Passing and the 3-4, and recruit players to fit the system. This is not perfect, but it has worked for me (so far).

Archived