How do you play??? Tip Bucket

Hey guys im writing to see how everyone is playing this game, since there are so many different ways you can approach it. I am handling everything except the academics. I sim all my games, and have made 4 gameplans that swtich between depending on my opponent. In the offseason I do all my recruiting. I only go after players with 9 or 10 interest. This has worked out very well for me. I start recruiting players the very first week without selecting a pitch, then a couple weeks in ill add that. Also after i have signed a couple kids, some of the others interest will fall from 10 to 6, so I pull all attention away from them and put it on a new player with 10 interest. So far my one downfall has been the fact I over recruit on offense, its nice to have all those weapons but it makes for alot of balancing to keep them happy. So how do you guys play?

How do you play??? Tip Bucket It depends upon the number of scholarships I have, if I have more offensive losses due to graduation or early declaration of turning pro. Also, the quality of the losses. If I have lost my starting QB, of course I go after the highest rated QB with an interest of 9-10, unless I recruited one the previous season. Followed by a high rated RB. I also will try to shore up the line with linemen with good pass blocking potential, etc. I also do not lean more on recruiting offensive players over defensive players. I want at least 2 or more defensive linemen that either have great pass rushing ratings or the potential for this. With that I make sure I have 2 or more defensive linemen that have the abilities and/or potential to stop the run. I definately have to have a great middle linebacker. Also either a great FS or CB. I usually do not go below an interest level of 7 during recruiting unless it is late and I still have scholarships to give. I pay attention to the home state five and four star players with an interest of 9 or 10 as well as the neighboring states. I may go after a top rated player from a distance state but only if his interest is 10 and it doesn't drop below a 9 in weeks 11 or 12. I've learned that if it drops below a 9 by then, you're likely not going to land him and then you left with trying to find a high ranked 4 star player that hasn't already committed. Having staggered the above positions to provide for very good rated seasoned players on the field with incoming very good potential players at the same time makes for a great mix and depth. Occasionally, you get hit with a few surprises with more players declaring early than you expect, but it hasn't been something that can't be overcomed. It's worked out pretty well so far for me. I am coaching the Scarlet Red and Grey of OSU and my record the last two seasons is 22 - 0, with a National Championship under my belt and having Wisconsin, Michigan State and the Team from up North left on this years schedule. Currently my buckeyes are ranked 1st in offense and 1st in defense. I recuited a gem of a middle linebacker (4.5 star Potential) last season (from Marquette, MI of all places), that earned a starting spot during camp and is putting up some impressive numbers as a Frosh. I also pick up a great punter that's high up on the Ray Guy Award watch list. I was lucky to land a looked over QB, that was a five star potential, but was only at about a 2 star development stage. He had a great pre season camp and when my returning QB was injured early in the first game of this season, the Frosh ended up throwing for over 200 yds and has started ever since and is currently atop the Davy O'Brian Watch list with a 167.8 rating. He can also run the ball as well as throw. Like I said, I was lucky to land him. I leave the Academics, player transfers and at times game planning up to my staff. I prefer to keep my finger on the pulse with recruiting, scheduling, budget and off season training. I'm middle of the road wiyh staff hiring but more involved with Firing an assistant and let their replacement be done by AI. With roster and depth chart, I'll use suggest, but will make changes if I feel that they are necessary.

How do you play??? Tip Bucket It depends upon the number of scholarships I have, if I have more offensive losses due to graduation or early declaration of turning pro. Also, the quality of the losses. If I have lost my starting QB, of course I go after the highest rated QB with an interest of 9-10, unless I recruited one the previous season. Followed by a high rated RB. I also will try to shore up the line with linemen with good pass blocking potential, etc. I also do not lean more on recruiting offensive players over defensive players. I want at least 2 or more defensive linemen that either have great pass rushing ratings or the potential for this. With that I make sure I have 2 or more defensive linemen that have the abilities and/or potential to stop the run. I definately have to have a great middle linebacker. Also either a great FS or CB. I usually do not go below an interest level of 7 during recruiting unless it is late and I still have scholarships to give. I pay attention to the home state five and four star players with an interest of 9 or 10 as well as the neighboring states. I may go after a top rated player from a distance state but only if his interest is 10 and it doesn't drop below a 9 in weeks 11 or 12. I've learned that if it drops below a 9 by then, you're likely not going to land him and then you left with trying to find a high ranked 4 star player that hasn't already committed. Having staggered the above positions to provide for very good rated seasoned players on the field with incoming very good potential players at the same time makes for a great mix and depth. Occasionally, you get hit with a few surprises with more players declaring early than you expect, but it hasn't been something that can't be overcomed. It's worked out pretty well so far for me. I am coaching the Scarlet Red and Grey of OSU and my record the last two seasons is 22 - 0, with a National Championship under my belt and having Wisconsin, Michigan State and the Team from up North left on this years schedule. Currently my buckeyes are ranked 1st in offense and 1st in defense. I recuited a gem of a middle linebacker (4.5 star Potential) last season (from Marquette, MI of all places), that earned a starting spot during camp and is putting up some impressive numbers as a Frosh. I also pick up a great punter that's high up on the Ray Guy Award watch list. I was lucky to land a looked over QB, that was a five star potential, but was only at about a 2 star development stage. He had a great pre season camp and when my returning QB was injured early in the first game of this season, the Frosh ended up throwing for over 200 yds and has started ever since and is currently atop the Davy O'Brian Watch list with a 167.8 rating. He can also run the ball as well as throw. Like I said, I was lucky to land him. I leave the Academics, player transfers and at times game planning up to my staff. I prefer to keep my finger on the pulse with recruiting, scheduling, budget and off season training. I'm middle of the road wiyh staff hiring but more involved with Firing an assistant and let their replacement be done by AI. With roster and depth chart, I'll use suggest, but will make changes if I feel that they are necessary.

I always coach my games, at least offensively calling the plays. Usually if the defensive gameplan isn't working, then I'll step in and override the DC. He doesn't like when I do that, especially when the play then goes for a TD... I really don't make many special gameplans, as offensively I call the plays, and defensively I usually manipulate the formation % instead of messing with the run/pass %. I do all the stuff myself, recruiting, hiring, transfers, academics.

I always coach my games, at least offensively calling the plays. Usually if the defensive gameplan isn't working, then I'll step in and override the DC. He doesn't like when I do that, especially when the play then goes for a TD... I really don't make many special gameplans, as offensively I call the plays, and defensively I usually manipulate the formation % instead of messing with the run/pass %. I do all the stuff myself, recruiting, hiring, transfers, academics.

• 2 weeks later...
i start with lower teams and try the build a dynasty route. I feel the budget screen may be one of the most important processes in trying to get a small program to have any chance of future success. i focus on 1st in state recruiting then my region next. i rarely reguardless of the recruits intentions go out of my region. you can ty up a whole lot of $$$ going out of region. I use the lowest recruiting service avaliable and draft entirely on combine results & grade point avg. this has worked well. i measure all combine stats for each player. a wr with 4.71 speed is not neccesarly all bad if he benched 360 & squatted 470. just screen to him and watch the mismatch go to work. Sorta a version of this years saints receiver Colston. he's not gonna burn anyone but at 6'4" 230 he is mismatching cb's all over the nfl. i keep to my needs. i dont wait until my star rb has graduated to start looking for his replacement. when i look for my needs on my roster i dont even figure in jr's & sr's. lets say i have a 3.5 star junior rb and a 2 star freshman as backup. I draft a highly touted rb red shirt him his freshman year while 3.5 is doing his thing then the next year 3.5 is gone but highly touted is probably going to start & i can look else where until he too becomes a jr to look for his replacement. i try to keep the thought process if i am going to hand you a scholarship you better have the ability to be able to start in the future or at least cover for an injured starter. thats not asking too much being hes getting a 4 year free ride. so i choose my scholarship offers the best i can. if theyre not up to it i'll save the extra scholarship for next year. i think having a good special team can make or break a small program. if youre battling an equal low prestige in a game field position can determine the outcome. a punter that has a 38+ net yard avg and a fg kicker that can boom it from 45+ is an ace in the hole for a close game. those thinking drafting all offense is gonna get them in the endzone is in for a rude awakining. the old cliche..."defense wins championships" is said for a reason. if your defense cant stop the run then be prepared for your defense to be on the field a looong time which results in the offense on the bench a loooong time too. meanwhile the defense is getting banged up due to being on the field excessivly every game and its just downhill from there. before the skilled positions i look to the line. what good is a rb that has nowhere to run. what good is a qb if hes on his back every time he drops back. i dont get carried away but try to get a tandem together (LT-LG)(LG-C) etc. being able to hold on to a lead with a time consuming drive is invaluable. same with defense refigerator like dt's that will kill those 3rd & 2's like clockwork. last and certainly not least is from all that pinching my pennies i go on a spending spree on coaching. never ever let any coach get below 2 in any category. it may cost you a bit extra but if you have a def coordinator with a 1 at developing db's then that star studded cb you just drafted is worthless. or a offense coordinator with shaddy gameplanning will have you running the ball on 3rd & 15 50% of the time. with all that said i am always scanning the forum to grab a new edge myself and this board has been pretty active. arlie has once again totally blown me away with such an in-depth game. i had beta'd cad and suggested the +/- feature which i still have (now tournament dreams) dont know what happened with the title but awesome game and would reccomend it to anyone that likes bowl bound to look it up for download. hope you may have found something new to try i will be watching for other strategies myself. gl

i start with lower teams and try the build a dynasty route. I feel the budget screen may be one of the most important processes in trying to get a small program to have any chance of future success. i focus on 1st in state recruiting then my region next. i rarely reguardless of the recruits intentions go out of my region. you can ty up a whole lot of $$$ going out of region. I use the lowest recruiting service avaliable and draft entirely on combine results & grade point avg. this has worked well. i measure all combine stats for each player. a wr with 4.71 speed is not neccesarly all bad if he benched 360 & squatted 470. just screen to him and watch the mismatch go to work. Sorta a version of this years saints receiver Colston. he's not gonna burn anyone but at 6'4" 230 he is mismatching cb's all over the nfl. i keep to my needs. i dont wait until my star rb has graduated to start looking for his replacement. when i look for my needs on my roster i dont even figure in jr's & sr's. lets say i have a 3.5 star junior rb and a 2 star freshman as backup. I draft a highly touted rb red shirt him his freshman year while 3.5 is doing his thing then the next year 3.5 is gone but highly touted is probably going to start & i can look else where until he too becomes a jr to look for his replacement. i try to keep the thought process if i am going to hand you a scholarship you better have the ability to be able to start in the future or at least cover for an injured starter. thats not asking too much being hes getting a 4 year free ride. so i choose my scholarship offers the best i can. if theyre not up to it i'll save the extra scholarship for next year. i think having a good special team can make or break a small program. if youre battling an equal low prestige in a game field position can determine the outcome. a punter that has a 38+ net yard avg and a fg kicker that can boom it from 45+ is an ace in the hole for a close game. those thinking drafting all offense is gonna get them in the endzone is in for a rude awakining. the old cliche..."defense wins championships" is said for a reason. if your defense cant stop the run then be prepared for your defense to be on the field a looong time which results in the offense on the bench a loooong time too. meanwhile the defense is getting banged up due to being on the field excessivly every game and its just downhill from there. before the skilled positions i look to the line. what good is a rb that has nowhere to run. what good is a qb if hes on his back every time he drops back. i dont get carried away but try to get a tandem together (LT-LG)(LG-C) etc. being able to hold on to a lead with a time consuming drive is invaluable. same with defense refigerator like dt's that will kill those 3rd & 2's like clockwork. last and certainly not least is from all that pinching my pennies i go on a spending spree on coaching. never ever let any coach get below 2 in any category. it may cost you a bit extra but if you have a def coordinator with a 1 at developing db's then that star studded cb you just drafted is worthless. or a offense coordinator with shaddy gameplanning will have you running the ball on 3rd & 15 50% of the time. with all that said i am always scanning the forum to grab a new edge myself and this board has been pretty active. arlie has once again totally blown me away with such an in-depth game. i had beta'd cad and suggested the +/- feature which i still have (now tournament dreams) dont know what happened with the title but awesome game and would reccomend it to anyone that likes bowl bound to look it up for download. hope you may have found something new to try i will be watching for other strategies myself. gl

Archived