A question regarding interference and support at ringside

[QUOTE=Less;156968]I wish this option did exist. If for nothing more than having tag partners or stable mates in the corner of the wrestler they are aligned with. Even if they don't do anything, at least they would be on t.v. that week in a way that makes sense and might not complain for not being used. :)[/QUOTE] Yeah, I agree with you. When you have a stable like the Spirit Squad it can be a little frustrating when you have a tag team match and you have to have the other three actually run-in into the match to be seen on the show that week because you don't have the time to give Spirit Squad two matches to get four of the five on television that week. Having support at ringside would be a nice way to get the other three at ringside but not need all three to get involved in the match (unless ref distraction is added to the notes this year then you could get at least two more members involved realistically).

[QUOTE=Less;156968]I wish this option did exist. If for nothing more than having tag partners or stable mates in the corner of the wrestler they are aligned with. Even if they don't do anything, at least they would be on t.v. that week in a way that makes sense and might not complain for not being used. :)[/QUOTE] Yeah, I agree with you. When you have a stable like the Spirit Squad it can be a little frustrating when you have a tag team match and you have to have the other three actually run-in into the match to be seen on the show that week because you don't have the time to give Spirit Squad two matches to get four of the five on television that week. Having support at ringside would be a nice way to get the other three at ringside but not need all three to get involved in the match (unless ref distraction is added to the notes this year then you could get at least two more members involved realistically).

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland;156627]I don't think an option for ringside support is really needed, as it would have no real effect on anything to do with the match ratings or mechanics.[/QUOTE] I think it should boost the ratings, at least somewhat. Not the match rating itself but the crowd reaction, as managers are often more popular than the wrestler itself. Like Armando + Umaga.. Seriously, one of the reasons he's been getting over is Armando, definitely. He comes out with him in every single match he has. Think of the other great managers in history, etc. Besides, it sounds more realistic when you see "Melina interfered" rather than "Melina ran out and interfered" in a Nitro match. And c'mon, how many managers can you name that DIDN'T come out to the ring with their worker? And like someone said above about the Spirit Squad, that can go with any wrestler/manager.. Say you didn't book a manager angle/interview, that manager pretty much does nothing else on that show. If the manager has high stats + is pretty over, putting on a Wrestler w/ that manager vs another wrestler could solve that. I mean, with managers, all fans expect them to do is walk out with whoever they're managing... They don't always expect interviews or some angle, so I think this should be in.

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland;156627]I don't think an option for ringside support is really needed, as it would have no real effect on anything to do with the match ratings or mechanics.[/QUOTE] I think it should boost the ratings, at least somewhat. Not the match rating itself but the crowd reaction, as managers are often more popular than the wrestler itself. Like Armando + Umaga.. Seriously, one of the reasons he's been getting over is Armando, definitely. He comes out with him in every single match he has. Think of the other great managers in history, etc. Besides, it sounds more realistic when you see "Melina interfered" rather than "Melina ran out and interfered" in a Nitro match. And c'mon, how many managers can you name that DIDN'T come out to the ring with their worker? And like someone said above about the Spirit Squad, that can go with any wrestler/manager.. Say you didn't book a manager angle/interview, that manager pretty much does nothing else on that show. If the manager has high stats + is pretty over, putting on a Wrestler w/ that manager vs another wrestler could solve that. I mean, with managers, all fans expect them to do is walk out with whoever they're managing... They don't always expect interviews or some angle, so I think this should be in.

[QUOTE=signofvictory;157385]I think it should boost the ratings, at least somewhat. Not the match rating itself but the crowd reaction, as managers are often more popular than the wrestler itself. [U]Like Armando + Umaga.. Seriously, one of the reasons he's been getting over is Armando,[/U] definitely. He comes out with him in every single match he has. Think of the other great managers in history, etc. Besides, it sounds more realistic when you see "Melina interfered" rather than "Melina ran out and interfered" in a Nitro match. And c'mon, how many managers can you name that DIDN'T come out to the ring with their worker? And like someone said above about the Spirit Squad, that can go with any wrestler/manager.. Say you didn't book a manager angle/interview, that manager pretty much does nothing else on that show. If the manager has high stats + is pretty over, putting on a Wrestler w/ that manager vs another wrestler could solve that. I mean, with managers, all fans expect them to do is walk out with whoever they're managing... They don't always expect interviews or some angle, so I think this should be in.[/QUOTE] The part of your post that I underlined I have a problem with really. If your playing WWE in your game, you should already know that the manager helps all of these guys out when doing interviews and such. This happens automatically when you see the "Armando did a great job at ringside tonight" without specifying him doing anything at all. He gets a little something there I'll bet, or that statement wouldn't be there I don't think. Far as it creating more or less good for the wrestler depends on what angles you throw him into with your wrestler as well. Lets say you want an interview with Umaga.... You would have Armando talking for him, although Umaga will definately be in the interview as well. When you watch the show, Armando comes in, and talks (doing an interview or hyping an upcoming match in TEW terms). As he does this, he then introduces the poor fellow to "UMAHHHGAHHH, the SUUUMOWWEEEENNNNN, BULL DOSZHIER!!!!!!" And then the match starts. Whenever you use Armando like that, he can get better and better at what he is doing. It also helps his popularity somewhat, so if he was to ever wrestle, he would be able to use that popularity for overness he never really earned in the ring. And all this talk about Melina... Do you really think it would be believable that Melina would be able to beat Mickey James? Let alone have the SAME overness as her uppermidcard boyfriend.... I mean, Think she would have a chance at beating Jeff Hardy or Orlando Jordan? Trish Stratus, Mickey James, even possibly Victoria, might be able to pull of an Uppermidcard slot. However, Melina is definately no more then an Opener. However, I believe she is training like crazy to be better in wrestling (something I read), so she might be better then all of the above realistically, however... She does not have the wrestling experience for us to have seen to let them put her in that slot yet.

[QUOTE=signofvictory;157385]I think it should boost the ratings, at least somewhat. Not the match rating itself but the crowd reaction, as managers are often more popular than the wrestler itself. [U]Like Armando + Umaga.. Seriously, one of the reasons he's been getting over is Armando,[/U] definitely. He comes out with him in every single match he has. Think of the other great managers in history, etc. Besides, it sounds more realistic when you see "Melina interfered" rather than "Melina ran out and interfered" in a Nitro match. And c'mon, how many managers can you name that DIDN'T come out to the ring with their worker? And like someone said above about the Spirit Squad, that can go with any wrestler/manager.. Say you didn't book a manager angle/interview, that manager pretty much does nothing else on that show. If the manager has high stats + is pretty over, putting on a Wrestler w/ that manager vs another wrestler could solve that. I mean, with managers, all fans expect them to do is walk out with whoever they're managing... They don't always expect interviews or some angle, so I think this should be in.[/QUOTE] The part of your post that I underlined I have a problem with really. If your playing WWE in your game, you should already know that the manager helps all of these guys out when doing interviews and such. This happens automatically when you see the "Armando did a great job at ringside tonight" without specifying him doing anything at all. He gets a little something there I'll bet, or that statement wouldn't be there I don't think. Far as it creating more or less good for the wrestler depends on what angles you throw him into with your wrestler as well. Lets say you want an interview with Umaga.... You would have Armando talking for him, although Umaga will definately be in the interview as well. When you watch the show, Armando comes in, and talks (doing an interview or hyping an upcoming match in TEW terms). As he does this, he then introduces the poor fellow to "UMAHHHGAHHH, the SUUUMOWWEEEENNNNN, BULL DOSZHIER!!!!!!" And then the match starts. Whenever you use Armando like that, he can get better and better at what he is doing. It also helps his popularity somewhat, so if he was to ever wrestle, he would be able to use that popularity for overness he never really earned in the ring. And all this talk about Melina... Do you really think it would be believable that Melina would be able to beat Mickey James? Let alone have the SAME overness as her uppermidcard boyfriend.... I mean, Think she would have a chance at beating Jeff Hardy or Orlando Jordan? Trish Stratus, Mickey James, even possibly Victoria, might be able to pull of an Uppermidcard slot. However, Melina is definately no more then an Opener. However, I believe she is training like crazy to be better in wrestling (something I read), so she might be better then all of the above realistically, however... She does not have the wrestling experience for us to have seen to let them put her in that slot yet.

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;157419]And all this talk about Melina... Do you really think it would be believable that Melina would be able to beat Mickey James? Let alone have the SAME overness as her uppermidcard boyfriend.... I mean, Think she would have a chance at beating Jeff Hardy or Orlando Jordan? Trish Stratus, Mickey James, even possibly Victoria, might be able to pull of an Uppermidcard slot. However, Melina is definately no more then an Opener. [/QUOTE] I agree with you on Umaga but I don't think you can equate perceived ring ability with overness. Sure, the crowd are unlikely to buy Melina beating Mickie James in a wrestling match but that would not prevent her being just as popular if not more so. Lots of non-wrestlers over the years have achieved far greater popularity than actual in ring performers. Bobby Hennen was more over than nearly everyone he ever managed, Sunny was one of the top names in the WW(F) in her prime. Overness is just that: how over you are, not how good a wrestler you are (made out to be).

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;157419]And all this talk about Melina... Do you really think it would be believable that Melina would be able to beat Mickey James? Let alone have the SAME overness as her uppermidcard boyfriend.... I mean, Think she would have a chance at beating Jeff Hardy or Orlando Jordan? Trish Stratus, Mickey James, even possibly Victoria, might be able to pull of an Uppermidcard slot. However, Melina is definately no more then an Opener. [/QUOTE] I agree with you on Umaga but I don't think you can equate perceived ring ability with overness. Sure, the crowd are unlikely to buy Melina beating Mickie James in a wrestling match but that would not prevent her being just as popular if not more so. Lots of non-wrestlers over the years have achieved far greater popularity than actual in ring performers. Bobby Hennen was more over than nearly everyone he ever managed, Sunny was one of the top names in the WW(F) in her prime. Overness is just that: how over you are, not how good a wrestler you are (made out to be).

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland;156627]I don't think an option for ringside support is really needed, as it would have no real effect on anything to do with the match ratings or mechanics.[/QUOTE] on smaller shows it would alow you to use all your people say like tna usta do with team canada if they didn't have time in the hour for them all to wrestle they would at least all be at ringside well one of them wrestled

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland;156627]I don't think an option for ringside support is really needed, as it would have no real effect on anything to do with the match ratings or mechanics.[/QUOTE] on smaller shows it would alow you to use all your people say like tna usta do with team canada if they didn't have time in the hour for them all to wrestle they would at least all be at ringside well one of them wrestled

[QUOTE=flamebrain;157462]I agree with you on Umaga but I don't think you can equate perceived ring ability with overness. Sure, the crowd are unlikely to buy Melina beating Mickie James in a wrestling match but that would not prevent her being just as popular if not more so. Lots of non-wrestlers over the years have achieved far greater popularity than actual in ring performers. Bobby Hennen was more over than nearly everyone he ever managed, Sunny was one of the top names in the WW(F) in her prime. Overness is just that: how over you are, not how good a wrestler you are (made out to be).[/QUOTE] Yes, Melina is more popular then they are, but not more popular in the ring. I don't know, I see your points, for sure. Without trying to sound like I am just having random thoughts, perhaps some type of Believability/popularity rating should come into the game in the future. As two different entities. Someone could then have a 90% average popularity rating, although only a 10% believability rating, putting them around a 50% overness rating. See, here is my conflicting problem. If we just go by Popularity alone, as being the sole reason for overness... then someone like Michael Jackson would be a Main Eventer, if he ever so decided to get into wrestling. Clint Black would be a Main Eventer, Heck, Willie Nelson. They are all popular, even more popular then most the main eventers out there. Melina is someone that is like them.... Popular, but not really "Over".

[QUOTE=flamebrain;157462]I agree with you on Umaga but I don't think you can equate perceived ring ability with overness. Sure, the crowd are unlikely to buy Melina beating Mickie James in a wrestling match but that would not prevent her being just as popular if not more so. Lots of non-wrestlers over the years have achieved far greater popularity than actual in ring performers. Bobby Hennen was more over than nearly everyone he ever managed, Sunny was one of the top names in the WW(F) in her prime. Overness is just that: how over you are, not how good a wrestler you are (made out to be).[/QUOTE] Yes, Melina is more popular then they are, but not more popular in the ring. I don't know, I see your points, for sure. Without trying to sound like I am just having random thoughts, perhaps some type of Believability/popularity rating should come into the game in the future. As two different entities. Someone could then have a 90% average popularity rating, although only a 10% believability rating, putting them around a 50% overness rating. See, here is my conflicting problem. If we just go by Popularity alone, as being the sole reason for overness... then someone like Michael Jackson would be a Main Eventer, if he ever so decided to get into wrestling. Clint Black would be a Main Eventer, Heck, Willie Nelson. They are all popular, even more popular then most the main eventers out there. Melina is someone that is like them.... Popular, but not really "Over".

As a side option of this that I have just been thinking about, the option to have a wrestler come to ringside for a match either just watching or in a special guest commentator role would be perfect. ie: You have a feud between A and B. A has a match with C to determine the no1 contender to B's title. A wins match Next week A faces D in a regular match, B is watching at ringside, interferes costing A the match. etc

As a side option of this that I have just been thinking about, the option to have a wrestler come to ringside for a match either just watching or in a special guest commentator role would be perfect. ie: You have a feud between A and B. A has a match with C to determine the no1 contender to B's title. A wins match Next week A faces D in a regular match, B is watching at ringside, interferes costing A the match. etc

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;157594]See, here is my conflicting problem. If we just go by Popularity alone, as being the sole reason for overness... then someone like Michael Jackson would be a Main Eventer, if he ever so decided to get into wrestling. Clint Black would be a Main Eventer, Heck, Willie Nelson. They are all popular, even more popular then most the main eventers out there. Melina is someone that is like them.... Popular, but not really "Over".[/QUOTE] This only really becomes an issue if you push them as an in ring competitor though. To go back to Melina, I would personally class her as a manager or semi active at most, then her oerness wouldn't factor into her card position. Unless you wanted Michael Jackson to be a regular wrestler he wouldn't need to be pushed as main event. Perhaps a "personality" push should be added to account for folks like K-Fed and Pete Rose etc since at the moment none of the pushes really apply.

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;157594]See, here is my conflicting problem. If we just go by Popularity alone, as being the sole reason for overness... then someone like Michael Jackson would be a Main Eventer, if he ever so decided to get into wrestling. Clint Black would be a Main Eventer, Heck, Willie Nelson. They are all popular, even more popular then most the main eventers out there. Melina is someone that is like them.... Popular, but not really "Over".[/QUOTE] This only really becomes an issue if you push them as an in ring competitor though. To go back to Melina, I would personally class her as a manager or semi active at most, then her oerness wouldn't factor into her card position. Unless you wanted Michael Jackson to be a regular wrestler he wouldn't need to be pushed as main event. Perhaps a "personality" push should be added to account for folks like K-Fed and Pete Rose etc since at the moment none of the pushes really apply.

Archived