Coordinators and Philosophies

Guest Nukester

Guest Nukester
Is there a big hit in performance when your philosophies do not match your coordinators prefered offense/defense ? Since we hire staff first, then do our recruiting, if after recruiting we decide that our roster ended up so that a 4-6 defense would be the best option based on talent, but the defensive coordinator prefers a 4-3, would it be better to use the 4-6 based on talent, or to go with the 4-3 based on the coach ?

According to the manual..pg 21..."Your team will perform better if you use the philosophy that your coordinator prefers." I view this is a positive impact when they line up...I assume there is no negative impact...unless you assume by not getting a postive impact results in a negative one.:D In "my" case, I always go with the talent my team has to select philosophies each year in camp, versus trying to shoe horn players into something else. Depending upon the strengths/weakness of a recruiting class, how well players develop over their careers, guys leaving early due to transfers and pros...a lot of things can change year over year. My personal preference is Vertical Passing and 4-3. Over time I will try to recruit coordinators to this taste, and my basic recruiting has this focus...but say my star JR QB goes pro, my not so ready back up may force me to consider a different philosophy for a year. Again, I let talent dictate philosophy even over my personal preference until I can realign the stars to suit my taste. One man's opinion.

According to the manual..pg 21..."Your team will perform better if you use the philosophy that your coordinator prefers." I view this is a positive impact when they line up...I assume there is no negative impact...unless you assume by not getting a postive impact results in a negative one.:D In "my" case, I always go with the talent my team has to select philosophies each year in camp, versus trying to shoe horn players into something else. Depending upon the strengths/weakness of a recruiting class, how well players develop over their careers, guys leaving early due to transfers and pros...a lot of things can change year over year. My personal preference is Vertical Passing and 4-3. Over time I will try to recruit coordinators to this taste, and my basic recruiting has this focus...but say my star JR QB goes pro, my not so ready back up may force me to consider a different philosophy for a year. Again, I let talent dictate philosophy even over my personal preference until I can realign the stars to suit my taste. One man's opinion.

I agree, you have to be able to adapt to the talent you have, that being said, I try to recruit players that fit my system, not always possible and I have had to adapt plenty of times, but if a stud QB shows interest I am not going to just use him to hand off because I prefer a running based offence, I am going to open it up and throw some, on the other hand if I can get a star running back or two and the oline I need I am going to try to run over everyone

I agree, you have to be able to adapt to the talent you have, that being said, I try to recruit players that fit my system, not always possible and I have had to adapt plenty of times, but if a stud QB shows interest I am not going to just use him to hand off because I prefer a running based offence, I am going to open it up and throw some, on the other hand if I can get a star running back or two and the oline I need I am going to try to run over everyone

I think that the basic difference revolves around what size school you are at. If you are at a small school: 1) You are looking to recruit the most talented players to your school 2) You are looking to hire coordinators who are good but you don't have much money. Compare that to a big school where you have more flexibility in recruiting and you have to money to look for a coordinator with good ratings [B]and[/B] a formation you might like to use. As for me, I recruit talent and adapt to my talent. Thus, I am adapting every year. In the past 6 years, I used an option attack for 4 and then switched to the west coast when I got a highly-rated transfer QB. I am at a small school, and my coordinator (whose ratings are great for 475,000) is a Balanced coach. So there is my .02 cents...

I think that the basic difference revolves around what size school you are at. If you are at a small school: 1) You are looking to recruit the most talented players to your school 2) You are looking to hire coordinators who are good but you don't have much money. Compare that to a big school where you have more flexibility in recruiting and you have to money to look for a coordinator with good ratings [B]and[/B] a formation you might like to use. As for me, I recruit talent and adapt to my talent. Thus, I am adapting every year. In the past 6 years, I used an option attack for 4 and then switched to the west coast when I got a highly-rated transfer QB. I am at a small school, and my coordinator (whose ratings are great for 475,000) is a Balanced coach. So there is my .02 cents...

• 9 months later...
My Penn State team has coordinators who prefer the Balanced offense and the 4-3 defense, which fit my own tastes very well. I recruit with that in mind, but I find the game often suggests another philosophy. My program has the money and prestige to recruit good players at almost every position, so I usually have the luxury of choosing my coordinators' preferences without too much problem. One year, however, I tried a 3-4 defense, because I had four excellent LBs and a thin defensive line. My defense was ranked 78th overall at the end of the year, and cost me at least three games. I'm not sure if the problem was a lack of talent or the fact that my coordinator didn't coach the 3-4 particularly well.

I always call my own offense, so I guess the only benefit I get out of my OC is in scouting. As for my defense, I've found 3-4 works best for me, and I haven't seen a doodle worth of difference whether my guy likes 3-4 or not. For that matter, I don't see much difference even between coordinators of wildly different ability levels. Case in point: I've run defenses in back to back years that finished 58th in total one year and 8th the next. My schedule was virtually identical in strength and teams both years. But my DC in my 8th-ranked year was actually some orange-and-red guy I had to hire for budget reasons, while my 58th-ranked guy had a lot of yellow and green ratings. If I had my pick of wishes for coordinators in the next update, it would not only be to include editability of the coordinator himself, but make his ratings make a bigger difference in actual performance. Also, I, like others, have never been able to get a 3-3-5 defense to work for squat, no matter what kind of athletes I had. And, I think you need to include recruiting as a rating category for assistants. In the real world, how well a coach recruits means a ton.

Archived