BBCF Open BETA 1.49

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[QUOTE=Arlie Rahn;157197]The indep rule gives them a GDCS bid regardless of conference movement. It just wouldn't make sense for ND to join the big 10 and lose out on their auto BCS bid for just finishing above a certain spot.[/QUOTE] So does this only apply to ND? Can the other independents join a conference? Or am I just destined to always be an independent?

[QUOTE=Arlie Rahn;157197]The indep rule gives them a GDCS bid regardless of conference movement. It just wouldn't make sense for ND to join the big 10 and lose out on their auto BCS bid for just finishing above a certain spot.[/QUOTE] So does this only apply to ND? Can the other independents join a conference? Or am I just destined to always be an independent?

[QUOTE=Wolfpack;157220]So does this only apply to ND? Can the other independents join a conference? Or am I just destined to always be an independent?[/QUOTE] Just ND. The three other independents can join conferences. In fact, some of the testers have replaced the info for one of the independents with a custom team and tried to see how far they can move. One even reached the Big East over a long career (and he started with a slightly higher prestige than Temple, the team he replaced). So, it can give you a "challenge" way to play the game.

[QUOTE=Wolfpack;157220]So does this only apply to ND? Can the other independents join a conference? Or am I just destined to always be an independent?[/QUOTE] Just ND. The three other independents can join conferences. In fact, some of the testers have replaced the info for one of the independents with a custom team and tried to see how far they can move. One even reached the Big East over a long career (and he started with a slightly higher prestige than Temple, the team he replaced). So, it can give you a "challenge" way to play the game.

Much of the new info in the game log (missed tackle, key block, missed block, etc) is not in the play by play when playing out a game. Would it be possible to add it to the play by play or the "results" box so that the on screen info includes the detail of the game log?

Much of the new info in the game log (missed tackle, key block, missed block, etc) is not in the play by play when playing out a game. Would it be possible to add it to the play by play or the "results" box so that the on screen info includes the detail of the game log?

[QUOTE=Arlie Rahn;157228]Just ND. The three other independents can join conferences. In fact, some of the testers have replaced the info for one of the independents with a custom team and tried to see how far they can move. One even reached the Big East over a long career (and he started with a slightly higher prestige than Temple, the team he replaced). So, it can give you a "challenge" way to play the game.[/QUOTE] Cool, that's how I usually play EA's NCAA game (Or did before I started playing this) so that's perfect for me.

[QUOTE=Arlie Rahn;157228]Just ND. The three other independents can join conferences. In fact, some of the testers have replaced the info for one of the independents with a custom team and tried to see how far they can move. One even reached the Big East over a long career (and he started with a slightly higher prestige than Temple, the team he replaced). So, it can give you a "challenge" way to play the game.[/QUOTE] Cool, that's how I usually play EA's NCAA game (Or did before I started playing this) so that's perfect for me.

[QUOTE=Greendiver;157243]Much of the new info in the game log (missed tackle, key block, missed block, etc) is not in the play by play when playing out a game. Would it be possible to add it to the play by play or the "results" box so that the on screen info includes the detail of the game log?[/QUOTE] This has been asked and the problem is the extra screen space it would need or slowing down the PBP a bunch to show it all. We added in the ability to view the gamelog with a simple button click while watching the game. If I had it to do over again, I would have added more space for this info. But, I think having the game log display ability is enough for now. Still, let me look at some things before the final release to see.

[QUOTE=Greendiver;157243]Much of the new info in the game log (missed tackle, key block, missed block, etc) is not in the play by play when playing out a game. Would it be possible to add it to the play by play or the "results" box so that the on screen info includes the detail of the game log?[/QUOTE] This has been asked and the problem is the extra screen space it would need or slowing down the PBP a bunch to show it all. We added in the ability to view the gamelog with a simple button click while watching the game. If I had it to do over again, I would have added more space for this info. But, I think having the game log display ability is enough for now. Still, let me look at some things before the final release to see.

Guest Nukester
Just my opinion, but I think for poll purposes, a team needs to take a bigger hit to rankings when they take a loss. As it is now, if a team starts the season high in the polls, even if they lose, say, 3 straight and go to 0-3, they might drop around 10 spots or so (I havent done any test, but from what I see, a loss might bump a teams about 2-3 spots per loss). I think a 6 or 7 point drop per lose might be more like it. Way to many 6-5 teams, or teams with losing records, in the top 25. Ive noticed this even more lately due to a new league I set up. I set up a league where all teams are 50 prestige and all conferences have tie ins to GDCS games (still a work in progress in getting the playoffs to work right, but the regular season works and this is about poll placement). Since all teams and conferences are equal, the CPU really has no idea who to put where in a poll before the season starts. The last test I did last night had the top 10 spots all filled with Big East teams, with the other 15 spots going to the MAC, the WAC, and C-USA. I was hoping that after the first game, the CPU would look at prestige (see it was even for everyone), and conference (again even for everyone since all have GDCS ties), or even teams strength and off/def rankings, and move some teams that were 1-0 up into the top25 and move some that were originally in the top25 out of the polls. This did not happen. Because all of those Big East teams started so high, even after going, say, 6-5, they are still in the top25, even though there may be a bunch of 8-3 teams with a harder SOS still lingering around the 35-45 ranking mark. The only reason they are not any higher is because the games they won really didnt mean much in the polls because their conference was randomly set to be one conference that was not included in the initial top25 placement.

Guest Nukester
Just my opinion, but I think for poll purposes, a team needs to take a bigger hit to rankings when they take a loss. As it is now, if a team starts the season high in the polls, even if they lose, say, 3 straight and go to 0-3, they might drop around 10 spots or so (I havent done any test, but from what I see, a loss might bump a teams about 2-3 spots per loss). I think a 6 or 7 point drop per lose might be more like it. Way to many 6-5 teams, or teams with losing records, in the top 25. Ive noticed this even more lately due to a new league I set up. I set up a league where all teams are 50 prestige and all conferences have tie ins to GDCS games (still a work in progress in getting the playoffs to work right, but the regular season works and this is about poll placement). Since all teams and conferences are equal, the CPU really has no idea who to put where in a poll before the season starts. The last test I did last night had the top 10 spots all filled with Big East teams, with the other 15 spots going to the MAC, the WAC, and C-USA. I was hoping that after the first game, the CPU would look at prestige (see it was even for everyone), and conference (again even for everyone since all have GDCS ties), or even teams strength and off/def rankings, and move some teams that were 1-0 up into the top25 and move some that were originally in the top25 out of the polls. This did not happen. Because all of those Big East teams started so high, even after going, say, 6-5, they are still in the top25, even though there may be a bunch of 8-3 teams with a harder SOS still lingering around the 35-45 ranking mark. The only reason they are not any higher is because the games they won really didnt mean much in the polls because their conference was randomly set to be one conference that was not included in the initial top25 placement.

That's a good test for polls, Nukester. What I have tried to do is model the "bias" of the initial polls that many people see. If a team is ranked top 10 to start and finishes with 4 losses, they will probably still be a top 25 team. However, if a team is unranked to begin and finishes with 4 losses, chances are they will be unranked in real life. That said, I will look at the logic for 4 and 5 loss teams to see if some stick around too long in the top 25. I will also see if I can make another adjustment for 2 and 3 loss teams.

That's a good test for polls, Nukester. What I have tried to do is model the "bias" of the initial polls that many people see. If a team is ranked top 10 to start and finishes with 4 losses, they will probably still be a top 25 team. However, if a team is unranked to begin and finishes with 4 losses, chances are they will be unranked in real life. That said, I will look at the logic for 4 and 5 loss teams to see if some stick around too long in the top 25. I will also see if I can make another adjustment for 2 and 3 loss teams.

Guest Nukester
Thanks Arlie. I know the league I set up isnt a normal league with normal GDCS tie ins, but even in real life, I dont think a 6-5 team would stay in the top25, even if they started the season ranked somewhere around 5-10. I dont follow college football religiously, so I may be off there, but I suspect a .500 team isnt going to be in the top25 after a few weeks

Guest Nukester
Thanks Arlie. I know the league I set up isnt a normal league with normal GDCS tie ins, but even in real life, I dont think a 6-5 team would stay in the top25, even if they started the season ranked somewhere around 5-10. I dont follow college football religiously, so I may be off there, but I suspect a .500 team isnt going to be in the top25 after a few weeks

The game plans on the defensive side still aren't carrying over when you save as a "no preferrence" except for the first one of each situation. When I save Time Remaining under the "No preference" setting it will only carry over to "First 3 Quarters" and not "4th Quarter" or "Final 2 Minutes". The same for score and field position. Otherwise it's a great update so far...as usual.

The game plans on the defensive side still aren't carrying over when you save as a "no preferrence" except for the first one of each situation. When I save Time Remaining under the "No preference" setting it will only carry over to "First 3 Quarters" and not "4th Quarter" or "Final 2 Minutes". The same for score and field position. Otherwise it's a great update so far...as usual.

Good luck trying to get the rankings to "work". Here is what you are trying to re-create: Right now in the real world, Texas is ranked #4 with one loss while 3 one loss SEC teams are ranked 6, 7, 8 and 12th. (and 2 loss LSU is at 13). Texas has had 1 decent win this year (against Oklahoma who is currently ranked #18). Meanwhile the SEC teams... well, do I need to explain? It's the #1 conference top to bottom in the nation. Rankings don't make sense in real life... they probably shouldn't make sense in this game either. :)

Good luck trying to get the rankings to "work". Here is what you are trying to re-create: Right now in the real world, Texas is ranked #4 with one loss while 3 one loss SEC teams are ranked 6, 7, 8 and 12th. (and 2 loss LSU is at 13). Texas has had 1 decent win this year (against Oklahoma who is currently ranked #18). Meanwhile the SEC teams... well, do I need to explain? It's the #1 conference top to bottom in the nation. Rankings don't make sense in real life... they probably shouldn't make sense in this game either. :)

one more minor bug, if no one has mentioned it yet. If you let the CPU "Suggest All" during training, it will occasionally assign -5% of a player's time for adaptability. This generally happens when a player needs a lot of help in both conditioning and academics.

Archived