How many extra teams can be added to Div 1-A

I've been messing around with adding teams and I have run several single season tests. 1st test - Add one team for a total of 120. Everything worked as planned. Only changes I made in PStats were to the Conference table and the Team table. 2nd test - Keep team 120 and then add teams 121-126 in a new Conference. This failed. While the teams were created properly, the schedule did not give them any conference games. There may be a factor that I am not looking at but for me this is unuseable. 3rd test - place teams 121-126 in other existing conferences to a maximum of a 12 team conference. This worked as planned. Based on these, I would think that it may be a safe assumption that at least 144 teams will work (12 conferences, 12 teams each). This will actually be my next test. If anyone can tell me how to get the scheduler piece to work then that would take care of the limitations on conferences to an extent. I have actually been trying to work on a Texas 5A High School League and there are 200+ teams. While I do not think it is feasible, it would be fun to find out how to get them all in there! Another problem I run into is when I want to mess with anything to do with the Bowls. As soon as I change something I seem to get RTE's. Hope this is somewhat helpful! MD

I've been messing around with adding teams and I have run several single season tests. 1st test - Add one team for a total of 120. Everything worked as planned. Only changes I made in PStats were to the Conference table and the Team table. 2nd test - Keep team 120 and then add teams 121-126 in a new Conference. This failed. While the teams were created properly, the schedule did not give them any conference games. There may be a factor that I am not looking at but for me this is unuseable. 3rd test - place teams 121-126 in other existing conferences to a maximum of a 12 team conference. This worked as planned. Based on these, I would think that it may be a safe assumption that at least 144 teams will work (12 conferences, 12 teams each). This will actually be my next test. If anyone can tell me how to get the scheduler piece to work then that would take care of the limitations on conferences to an extent. I have actually been trying to work on a Texas 5A High School League and there are 200+ teams. While I do not think it is feasible, it would be fun to find out how to get them all in there! Another problem I run into is when I want to mess with anything to do with the Bowls. As soon as I change something I seem to get RTE's. Hope this is somewhat helpful! MD

• 2 weeks later...
To edit these files, you need a data base tool that works with MS Access data base files. For me, I already had Open Office on my computer, so the data base tool in there is what I use. Google Open Office if you are interested in freeware office software. Its pretty good. Its the Star office stuff Sun tried to create, but then gave up on. They gave it an open source license when they gave up, so now its been worked on independently as an open source office software tool. But anything that works with MS Access data base files should work.

Cool. This is good to know for my own stuff. I may go add some teams now to flesh things out a bit. Is it possible to do this to the Stats.dat file in a save once a game is started? And, as a related question, is it possible to change the number of teams in a conference in a save of a game that's already been started. In my mod, I arranged teams in conferences by region. All 12 team conferences at the top. But some smaller conferences of the left-over lower prestige teams. In some regions, I wouldn't mind adding a few teams to flesh this out. So maybe some 1-AA teams get promoted in my fictional world. I'm also doing conference movement by hand to get the system I want. I want the winner of a lower league to automatically move up the next season, which is a bit different from Arlie's system. In the system I'd really want, the number of teams in these bottom regional conferences might change a bit from year to year depending on what's happening in the conference above them. So that's why I'd like to be able to take a save game and edit the number of teams in a conference. But I don't see the equivalent of a "conferences" table in the saved game files like I see in Pstats.dat.

Archived