[QUOTE=Dolfanar;158141]At the very least A- would be nice. I also have trouble wrapping my mind around the idea of "F-". it's all cosmetic mind you, but it still seems goofy to have a scale like this without A- and with "F-". I still would like the option of using an alternate mask or scale for attributes and ratings though. A 1-20 numerical alternative woud be very, very sweet.[/QUOTE] The only thing I could understand wanting numbers instead of letters for (which is actually unrealistic, as I wouldn't expect a person to say that was a Number 3 rated match, but rather a C rating, or an A rating...), is the benefit of actually knowing it down to the percent.00. Like, this match earned a 98.10 rating, this one a 25.02, this one a 45.42, etc.. Then you could see the actual numbers. It would be totally unrealistic though, in my opinion, as people generally when giving a perspective (like media coverage), on the show, as The "A" rated match of the night was _________. Not, the "3" rated match of the night was __________. Perhaps just a little more thought would help out some. To me, the only thing that ever throws me off, far as the letter grades, is the difference in color, where a nice bright and seemingly bold letter looks better then a much duller, darker letter, although the duller one is actually the better grade.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[QUOTE=Dolfanar;158141]At the very least A- would be nice. I also have trouble wrapping my mind around the idea of "F-". it's all cosmetic mind you, but it still seems goofy to have a scale like this without A- and with "F-". I still would like the option of using an alternate mask or scale for attributes and ratings though. A 1-20 numerical alternative woud be very, very sweet.[/QUOTE] The only thing I could understand wanting numbers instead of letters for (which is actually unrealistic, as I wouldn't expect a person to say that was a Number 3 rated match, but rather a C rating, or an A rating...), is the benefit of actually knowing it down to the percent.00. Like, this match earned a 98.10 rating, this one a 25.02, this one a 45.42, etc.. Then you could see the actual numbers. It would be totally unrealistic though, in my opinion, as people generally when giving a perspective (like media coverage), on the show, as The "A" rated match of the night was _________. Not, the "3" rated match of the night was __________. Perhaps just a little more thought would help out some. To me, the only thing that ever throws me off, far as the letter grades, is the difference in color, where a nice bright and seemingly bold letter looks better then a much duller, darker letter, although the duller one is actually the better grade.

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;158152]The only thing I could understand wanting numbers instead of letters for (which is actually unrealistic, as I wouldn't expect a person to say that was a Number 3 rated match, but rather a C rating, or an A rating...), is the benefit of actually knowing it down to the percent.00. [/QUOTE] Huh? Who in the universe aside from Adam Ryland rates matches based on a letter grade system? The ONLY generally accepted match grading system is the star rating system. Anything else is a convention made for this game, and this game alone. As for what cosmetics that are used, there is no functional differance between a numerical or letter grade system. It's a question of personal preferance, and having more options/alternatives is always a good thing when it's feasible to provide them.

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;158152]The only thing I could understand wanting numbers instead of letters for (which is actually unrealistic, as I wouldn't expect a person to say that was a Number 3 rated match, but rather a C rating, or an A rating...), is the benefit of actually knowing it down to the percent.00. [/QUOTE] Huh? Who in the universe aside from Adam Ryland rates matches based on a letter grade system? The ONLY generally accepted match grading system is the star rating system. Anything else is a convention made for this game, and this game alone. As for what cosmetics that are used, there is no functional differance between a numerical or letter grade system. It's a question of personal preferance, and having more options/alternatives is always a good thing when it's feasible to provide them.

[QUOTE=Anubis;158129]I have to give this thumbs down, but [b]only[/b] because it's silly to have F- and F+. I can't get past the fact that F usually means "Flunk", and has no better or worse grade. Not cool.[/QUOTE] F somehow standing for "Flunk" would be 100% a North American term.

[QUOTE=Anubis;158129]I have to give this thumbs down, but [b]only[/b] because it's silly to have F- and F+. I can't get past the fact that F usually means "Flunk", and has no better or worse grade. Not cool.[/QUOTE] F somehow standing for "Flunk" would be 100% a North American term.

[QUOTE=Dolfanar;158176]The ONLY generally accepted match grading system is the star rating system. [/QUOTE] As far as I am concerned there is no generally accepted grading system for matches. The star rating is only popular with a certain sub-section of the IWC, it has no widespread meaning outside of that. Therefore I have no problem taking creative liberties and making my own up. "A-" isn't used as I wanted to keep the A grades extra special, to show that they are the peak.

[QUOTE=Dolfanar;158176]The ONLY generally accepted match grading system is the star rating system. [/QUOTE] As far as I am concerned there is no generally accepted grading system for matches. The star rating is only popular with a certain sub-section of the IWC, it has no widespread meaning outside of that. Therefore I have no problem taking creative liberties and making my own up. "A-" isn't used as I wanted to keep the A grades extra special, to show that they are the peak.

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland;158195]As far as I am concerned there is no generally accepted grading system for matches. The star rating is only popular with a certain sub-section of the IWC, it has no widespread meaning outside of that. Therefore I have no problem taking creative liberties and making my own up.[/QUOTE] IWC? Since when is Jim Cornette a member of the IWC? He was the one who introduced the concept. I've said this a million times, it is your game, you can do whatever you want. Up can be down, left can be south-west if that's what you want. You'll get no argument from me.

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland;158195]As far as I am concerned there is no generally accepted grading system for matches. The star rating is only popular with a certain sub-section of the IWC, it has no widespread meaning outside of that. Therefore I have no problem taking creative liberties and making my own up.[/QUOTE] IWC? Since when is Jim Cornette a member of the IWC? He was the one who introduced the concept. I've said this a million times, it is your game, you can do whatever you want. Up can be down, left can be south-west if that's what you want. You'll get no argument from me.

I know Cornette introduced it, that really doesn't have anything to do with what I posted though - what I said was that its popularity is confined primarily to the IWC, in that as far as I'm aware you don't see it used in other media when referencing wrestling matches. I think tape traders would be the only other area where it's used, and again, that's a fairly specific minority. The fact that JC introduced the concept doesn't really have any relevance as far as I can see?

I know Cornette introduced it, that really doesn't have anything to do with what I posted though - what I said was that its popularity is confined primarily to the IWC, in that as far as I'm aware you don't see it used in other media when referencing wrestling matches. I think tape traders would be the only other area where it's used, and again, that's a fairly specific minority. The fact that JC introduced the concept doesn't really have any relevance as far as I can see?

[QUOTE=Doublezero;158245]As pointed out before, F is the lowest possible score, as in failing or flunking.[/QUOTE]Again in North America that may be the case... but it certainly isn't necessarily the case worldwide. Take the UK for an example. The GCSE system for example has a G grade which in case you can't work out is a little bit lower than an F... and even a G is a pass, albeit not a very good one. If you fail you get a U grade as in "Unclassified". But then it's not meant to replicate schools of any kind. Adam just needs a measure of some kind and this is the one he's chosen.

[QUOTE=Doublezero;158245]As pointed out before, F is the lowest possible score, as in failing or flunking.[/QUOTE]Again in North America that may be the case... but it certainly isn't necessarily the case worldwide. Take the UK for an example. The GCSE system for example has a G grade which in case you can't work out is a little bit lower than an F... and even a G is a pass, albeit not a very good one. If you fail you get a U grade as in "Unclassified". But then it's not meant to replicate schools of any kind. Adam just needs a measure of some kind and this is the one he's chosen.

Kettley is absolutely correct. It was never meant to be a simulation of school grades. Common sense should have made that clear - if I was going to base it on a school grade system, whether North American or otherwise, why would it be incorrect? It's not like it's a huge task to look it up!

Kettley is absolutely correct. It was never meant to be a simulation of school grades. Common sense should have made that clear - if I was going to base it on a school grade system, whether North American or otherwise, why would it be incorrect? It's not like it's a huge task to look it up!

U isn't a pass in the UK? Damn it! I knew i should have tried harder for that G! Joking aside though, If TEW07 is as the previous games have been you can always mod the grade graphics to your liking. If you want them as numeric values, or stars, or even if you just want to do away with F- etc. Its easy enough to do with a paint package.

U isn't a pass in the UK? Damn it! I knew i should have tried harder for that G! Joking aside though, If TEW07 is as the previous games have been you can always mod the grade graphics to your liking. If you want them as numeric values, or stars, or even if you just want to do away with F- etc. Its easy enough to do with a paint package.

The letter grade system adds a little mystery to the exact skills of a wrestler much like a real booker would experience. For example Gabe Sapolsky doesn't crunch numbers when deciding whether an Evans/Sydal match would be good. He looks at it as two guys who are above average highflyers, and lets them go at it. If anything the letter grades add a realistic challenge to the game. As far as the F- issue goes, that's all semantics and has very little to do wiht the arguement as Adam never said "I'm going to take the American Grading System and apply it to wrestler stats." He is using his [B]own[/B] rating system that has similarities to the American Letter Grade System. When's the last time you got an A* on an exam?

Archived