Saddam Given death sentence

panix04

I have been enjoying a spirited debate this morning over wether Iraqi militants will atempt to free Saddam Hussein having been given the death sentence. I personally do not think he will be worth the risk even to the more loyal soldier. I personally think that the pro-Saddam people will realise that he will never regain power and being that he isn't the greatest military tactitian in the world he is probably not worth the effort. My brother feels that despite this Saddam is probably considered an iconic figure by his supporters and may feel that keeping him alive will add significant clout to there campaign. I'm just interested if anyone else thinks that somebody will try and help Hussein escape amid reports that he will be hanged before Christmas.

i think that his impending death could lead to one of two consequences. Firstly it is possible that the loss of a prominent figure such as Saddam woul have a de-moralising effect on his supporters perhaps forcing a percentage of his supporters into resignation. Or otherwise his death may make him a matyr for his own cause and give his followers a re-juvenated passion, hopefully this isn't the case. I feel for our troops who are in a country were they are not really wanted, trying to keep peace as a military presence, it can't be easy. Hopefully putting Saddam to death for his crimes will act as a detterent of sorts and the scale of military involvment in Iraq can be greatly reduced.

i think that his impending death could lead to one of two consequences. Firstly it is possible that the loss of a prominent figure such as Saddam woul have a de-moralising effect on his supporters perhaps forcing a percentage of his supporters into resignation. Or otherwise his death may make him a matyr for his own cause and give his followers a re-juvenated passion, hopefully this isn't the case. I feel for our troops who are in a country were they are not really wanted, trying to keep peace as a military presence, it can't be easy. Hopefully putting Saddam to death for his crimes will act as a detterent of sorts and the scale of military involvment in Iraq can be greatly reduced.

Sadly I think he is destined to become a martyr and his death will become a rallying cry for his followers to exact revenge. I too feel for our troops, it's certainly not a situation that i'd like to be in. The company I work for gave it's employees the option of going over to work on the reconstruction of Iraq in places like Basra, the pay was very good but money's no good to me if i'm dead. Lets face it, we ended up going to war in Iraq for all the wrong reasons. I'll never forget Tony Blair stood in front of all the other MP's waving bits of paper around saying the exact words "We have definitive proof of biological weapons being created and stored in Iraq". You're right Tony, the oil drums full of paint and pesticides we found could make a nasty mess of our tanks.... :rolleyes:

Sadly I think he is destined to become a martyr and his death will become a rallying cry for his followers to exact revenge. I too feel for our troops, it's certainly not a situation that i'd like to be in. The company I work for gave it's employees the option of going over to work on the reconstruction of Iraq in places like Basra, the pay was very good but money's no good to me if i'm dead. Lets face it, we ended up going to war in Iraq for all the wrong reasons. I'll never forget Tony Blair stood in front of all the other MP's waving bits of paper around saying the exact words "We have definitive proof of biological weapons being created and stored in Iraq". You're right Tony, the oil drums full of paint and pesticides we found could make a nasty mess of our tanks.... :rolleyes:

i am putting on my 'flame-proof jacket' as we speak, but i have to say that i believe that Tony Blair had purely good intentions behind his decision to send our troops to Iraq. I would never claim to be particuarly savvy when it comes to politics but i think that going to war was the right decision, which i know is easy for me to say - being as i am not a soldier! But when you sign up for the forces, if you are signing up because you want a re-warding career with a nice pension scheme than you are really there for the wrong reason. I get iritated when people blame Tony Blair for the death of there children. The bottom line is these people signed up to 'armed forces' i'd feel a lot more sympathetic if they were florists, but when you sign up to the army you know the risks involved! My grandad served in the forces and was dead against the war in Iraq and he detests Tony Blair but even he agree's that people blaming him for the death of English soldiers is truly stretching the truth! I am not a war-mad person but occasionally i feel that military action is neccasary. I think that despite the fact that Iraq may not have had nuclear weapons they still posed a threat (have you not seen team america? :D) if push came to shove and i was in Tony Blairs position i probably would have done the same thing. I don't want to pass judgment on Bush, as an English citizen i don't really think i know enough about him to do so, but when it comes to Blair, despite him being seemingly naive, i really do feel he has tried to do his best in regards to running the country. He may or may not have done the right thing by going to war with Iraq but it was a tough call to make and he chose war, not many would have had the courage to make such a bold, controversial decision but Blair did and be it right or wrong i bet if he could roll the clock back he'd make the same call again.

i am putting on my 'flame-proof jacket' as we speak, but i have to say that i believe that Tony Blair had purely good intentions behind his decision to send our troops to Iraq. I would never claim to be particuarly savvy when it comes to politics but i think that going to war was the right decision, which i know is easy for me to say - being as i am not a soldier! But when you sign up for the forces, if you are signing up because you want a re-warding career with a nice pension scheme than you are really there for the wrong reason. I get iritated when people blame Tony Blair for the death of there children. The bottom line is these people signed up to 'armed forces' i'd feel a lot more sympathetic if they were florists, but when you sign up to the army you know the risks involved! My grandad served in the forces and was dead against the war in Iraq and he detests Tony Blair but even he agree's that people blaming him for the death of English soldiers is truly stretching the truth! I am not a war-mad person but occasionally i feel that military action is neccasary. I think that despite the fact that Iraq may not have had nuclear weapons they still posed a threat (have you not seen team america? :D) if push came to shove and i was in Tony Blairs position i probably would have done the same thing. I don't want to pass judgment on Bush, as an English citizen i don't really think i know enough about him to do so, but when it comes to Blair, despite him being seemingly naive, i really do feel he has tried to do his best in regards to running the country. He may or may not have done the right thing by going to war with Iraq but it was a tough call to make and he chose war, not many would have had the courage to make such a bold, controversial decision but Blair did and be it right or wrong i bet if he could roll the clock back he'd make the same call again.

[QUOTE=panix04;158364]i am putting on my 'flame-proof jacket' as we speak, but i have to say that i believe that Tony Blair had purely good intentions behind his decision to send our troops to Iraq. I would never claim to be particuarly savvy when it comes to politics but i think that going to war was the right decision, which i know is easy for me to say - being as i am not a soldier! But when you sign up for the forces, if you are signing up because you want a re-warding career with a nice pension scheme than you are really there for the wrong reason. I get iritated when people blame Tony Blair for the death of there children. The bottom line is these people signed up to 'armed forces' i'd feel a lot more sympathetic if they were florists, but when you sign up to the army you know the risks involved! My grandad served in the forces and was dead against the war in Iraq and he detests Tony Blair but even he agree's that people blaming him for the death of English soldiers is truly stretching the truth! I am not a war-mad person but occasionally i feel that military action is neccasary. I think that despite the fact that Iraq may not have had nuclear weapons they still posed a threat (have you not seen team america? :D) if push came to shove and i was in Tony Blairs position i probably would have done the same thing. I don't want to pass judgment on Bush, as an English citizen i don't really think i know enough about him to do so, but when it comes to Blair, despite him being seemingly naive, i really do feel he has tried to do his best in regards to running the country. He may or may not have done the right thing by going to war with Iraq but it was a tough call to make and he chose war, not many would have had the courage to make such a bold, controversial decision but Blair did and be it right or wrong i bet if he could roll the clock back he'd make the same call again.[/QUOTE] I agree with the armed forces choosing that line of work. I just think Mr Blair chose to go to war to keep relations sweet between US and UK, which is a terrible idea, especially when it leads to some of the attrocities that have occured.

[QUOTE=panix04;158364]i am putting on my 'flame-proof jacket' as we speak, but i have to say that i believe that Tony Blair had purely good intentions behind his decision to send our troops to Iraq. I would never claim to be particuarly savvy when it comes to politics but i think that going to war was the right decision, which i know is easy for me to say - being as i am not a soldier! But when you sign up for the forces, if you are signing up because you want a re-warding career with a nice pension scheme than you are really there for the wrong reason. I get iritated when people blame Tony Blair for the death of there children. The bottom line is these people signed up to 'armed forces' i'd feel a lot more sympathetic if they were florists, but when you sign up to the army you know the risks involved! My grandad served in the forces and was dead against the war in Iraq and he detests Tony Blair but even he agree's that people blaming him for the death of English soldiers is truly stretching the truth! I am not a war-mad person but occasionally i feel that military action is neccasary. I think that despite the fact that Iraq may not have had nuclear weapons they still posed a threat (have you not seen team america? :D) if push came to shove and i was in Tony Blairs position i probably would have done the same thing. I don't want to pass judgment on Bush, as an English citizen i don't really think i know enough about him to do so, but when it comes to Blair, despite him being seemingly naive, i really do feel he has tried to do his best in regards to running the country. He may or may not have done the right thing by going to war with Iraq but it was a tough call to make and he chose war, not many would have had the courage to make such a bold, controversial decision but Blair did and be it right or wrong i bet if he could roll the clock back he'd make the same call again.[/QUOTE] I agree with the armed forces choosing that line of work. I just think Mr Blair chose to go to war to keep relations sweet between US and UK, which is a terrible idea, especially when it leads to some of the attrocities that have occured.

i agree that if Blair's real reasoning behind war was purely a move to strengthen US/UK relations then it was shocking, possibly one of the weakest reasons for sending a country to war to be honest. However i just don't think that was his reasoning, i guess because i like Tony Blair im going to have the opinion that he had good intentions and if your not a big fan you are probably going to think the opposite. I guess no-one apart from Mr Blair himself truly knows what his personal motivation was! On a seperate note, i realised my above post could be viewed as a slant on people in the army, if it dies come across that way its un-intentional. I have the upmost respect for the people who risk there lives to protect our country and attempt to uphold peace in other country's. I do feel strongly how-ever that a lot of people join the army with dreams of being a hero and although im failry sure they all have a healthy fear of death im sure a soldier who dies in the line of duty does so with a sense of immense pride. I don't see any need for a family member to complain that somebody died doing what they wanted to do!

i agree that if Blair's real reasoning behind war was purely a move to strengthen US/UK relations then it was shocking, possibly one of the weakest reasons for sending a country to war to be honest. However i just don't think that was his reasoning, i guess because i like Tony Blair im going to have the opinion that he had good intentions and if your not a big fan you are probably going to think the opposite. I guess no-one apart from Mr Blair himself truly knows what his personal motivation was! On a seperate note, i realised my above post could be viewed as a slant on people in the army, if it dies come across that way its un-intentional. I have the upmost respect for the people who risk there lives to protect our country and attempt to uphold peace in other country's. I do feel strongly how-ever that a lot of people join the army with dreams of being a hero and although im failry sure they all have a healthy fear of death im sure a soldier who dies in the line of duty does so with a sense of immense pride. I don't see any need for a family member to complain that somebody died doing what they wanted to do!

I've yet to find anyone who thinks the world is a better place while Saddam was in charge of Iraq. Whatever the actual reasons for going to war, I can't say that I don't think there has been some good done. War isn't nice but there are times it is necessary. Protecting your own small piece of the world means nothing if the rest of the world suffers through a lack of action. Ignoring the rest of the world just because you want to look after yourself would be like taking your ball home when someone else wants to play. Needless to say, I've always been for the war though my strength of feeling on the matter has varied. Chemical weapons or not, Saddam Hussein is not the sort of man I want to see with power ANYWHERE in the world... but then, nor is George W. Bush. edit: Just because the UK wasn't a victim of an attack before 2005 doesn't mean people weren't trying. I'm sure terrorists were planning to hurt the US before 9/11 too, they just hadn't succeeded or put plans into action yet. Derek B - flameproof jackets may be necessary

I've yet to find anyone who thinks the world is a better place while Saddam was in charge of Iraq. Whatever the actual reasons for going to war, I can't say that I don't think there has been some good done. War isn't nice but there are times it is necessary. Protecting your own small piece of the world means nothing if the rest of the world suffers through a lack of action. Ignoring the rest of the world just because you want to look after yourself would be like taking your ball home when someone else wants to play. Needless to say, I've always been for the war though my strength of feeling on the matter has varied. Chemical weapons or not, Saddam Hussein is not the sort of man I want to see with power ANYWHERE in the world... but then, nor is George W. Bush. edit: Just because the UK wasn't a victim of an attack before 2005 doesn't mean people weren't trying. I'm sure terrorists were planning to hurt the US before 9/11 too, they just hadn't succeeded or put plans into action yet. Derek B - flameproof jackets may be necessary

[QUOTE=panix04;158364]i have to say that i believe that Tony Blair had purely good intentions behind his decision to send our troops to Iraq[/quote] Agreed, I think he did have good intentions but his decision was based on clearly false information. I can't help but feel that some 'proof' was doctored up by the American intelligence agency's in aid to draw us in. We've still seen no proof of the bio weapons that Iraq was supposed to have so that just reinforces my theory. [quote=Panix]when you sign up for the forces, if you are signing up because you want a re-warding career with a nice pension scheme than you are really there for the wrong reason. I get iritated when people blame Tony Blair for the death of there children. [/quote] I agree that probably the majority of people sign up to the armed forces for the wrong reasons, I would imagine that most believed we live in a safer world and so war is unlikely. Sadly that's not the case anymore. I can understand why people blame Tony Blair because he's the figurehead that ordered our campaign in Iraq. Plus if the reason for the war was to remove Saddam from power, we've done that so there's no reason for us to still be there. There was an 18 year old soldier from my city that died in Iraq after the war was over. If memory serves, he was part of a group of only four soldiers that were stationed somewhere. They were ambushed and all four died. How would you feel if that was your 18 year old brother? You'd probably feel the need to blame someone and voice your opinion on the stupidity of the situation in hope that it wouldn't happen to someone else. [quote=Panix]if push came to shove and i was in Tony Blairs position i probably would have done the same thing.[/quote] I'd have done the same thing too. I wouldn't however still have our troops over there when they are clearly not wanted by the very people they're trying to protect. [quote=Panix]not many would have had the courage to make such a bold, controversial decision but Blair did[/QUOTE] Courage? I think 'naivety' sums him up better. [quote=TCP]I just think Mr Blair chose to go to war to keep relations sweet between US and UK, which is a terrible idea, especially when it leads to some of the attrocities that have occured.[/quote] Agreed. [quote=Panix]i like Tony Blair[/quote] Right, that's it, you're off my Christmas card list. :p

[QUOTE=panix04;158364]i have to say that i believe that Tony Blair had purely good intentions behind his decision to send our troops to Iraq[/quote] Agreed, I think he did have good intentions but his decision was based on clearly false information. I can't help but feel that some 'proof' was doctored up by the American intelligence agency's in aid to draw us in. We've still seen no proof of the bio weapons that Iraq was supposed to have so that just reinforces my theory. [quote=Panix]when you sign up for the forces, if you are signing up because you want a re-warding career with a nice pension scheme than you are really there for the wrong reason. I get iritated when people blame Tony Blair for the death of there children. [/quote] I agree that probably the majority of people sign up to the armed forces for the wrong reasons, I would imagine that most believed we live in a safer world and so war is unlikely. Sadly that's not the case anymore. I can understand why people blame Tony Blair because he's the figurehead that ordered our campaign in Iraq. Plus if the reason for the war was to remove Saddam from power, we've done that so there's no reason for us to still be there. There was an 18 year old soldier from my city that died in Iraq after the war was over. If memory serves, he was part of a group of only four soldiers that were stationed somewhere. They were ambushed and all four died. How would you feel if that was your 18 year old brother? You'd probably feel the need to blame someone and voice your opinion on the stupidity of the situation in hope that it wouldn't happen to someone else. [quote=Panix]if push came to shove and i was in Tony Blairs position i probably would have done the same thing.[/quote] I'd have done the same thing too. I wouldn't however still have our troops over there when they are clearly not wanted by the very people they're trying to protect. [quote=Panix]not many would have had the courage to make such a bold, controversial decision but Blair did[/QUOTE] Courage? I think 'naivety' sums him up better. [quote=TCP]I just think Mr Blair chose to go to war to keep relations sweet between US and UK, which is a terrible idea, especially when it leads to some of the attrocities that have occured.[/quote] Agreed. [quote=Panix]i like Tony Blair[/quote] Right, that's it, you're off my Christmas card list. :p

Archived