Building a winner?

I just recently purchased this game. I have been a fan of the OOTP baseball series since version 2. Compared to other sims, I find this game almost impossible to build a winning program when starting with a lesser team. I have tried many of the suggestions on this board with mixed results. I just haven't found the formula yet. I'm thinking that in the real world of college football there are more success stories that what there seem to be in this sim. If a coach is truly good at gameplanning, recruiting, hiring good coordinators, alumni relations/fundraising, etc. they should be able to parlay at least one of those traits into building up a winning program. I think it is unrealistic to build a team up so a team from the MAC to go out and consistantly beat Big 10 teams, but it should be possible to at least build a program that consistantly wins the MAC. Overall, I really like the challenge of the game, but it seems to me like there are just too many things stacked against you when you start with a lesser school. Does anyone else agree?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[QUOTE=mcsimfan;158368]I just recently purchased this game. I have been a fan of the OOTP baseball series since version 2. Compared to other sims, I find this game almost impossible to build a winning program when starting with a lesser team. I have tried many of the suggestions on this board with mixed results. I just haven't found the formula yet. I'm thinking that in the real world of college football there are more success stories that what there seem to be in this sim. If a coach is truly good at gameplanning, recruiting, hiring good coordinators, alumni relations/fundraising, etc. they should be able to parlay at least one of those traits into building up a winning program. I think it is unrealistic to build a team up so a team from the MAC to go out and consistantly beat Big 10 teams, but it should be possible to at least build a program that consistantly wins the MAC. Overall, I really like the challenge of the game, but it seems to me like there are just too many things stacked against you when you start with a lesser school. Does anyone else agree?[/QUOTE] I don't know...I do find it very challenging also but that's what I like most about the game. It is one of the only games I play where you don't need a ton of house rules to keep the human player in check. I definitely hear what you're saying but you also say you "just purchased the game". Maybe it'll take you several seasons to get something built to the point you would like.

[QUOTE=mcsimfan;158368]I just recently purchased this game. I have been a fan of the OOTP baseball series since version 2. Compared to other sims, I find this game almost impossible to build a winning program when starting with a lesser team. I have tried many of the suggestions on this board with mixed results. I just haven't found the formula yet. I'm thinking that in the real world of college football there are more success stories that what there seem to be in this sim. If a coach is truly good at gameplanning, recruiting, hiring good coordinators, alumni relations/fundraising, etc. they should be able to parlay at least one of those traits into building up a winning program. I think it is unrealistic to build a team up so a team from the MAC to go out and consistantly beat Big 10 teams, but it should be possible to at least build a program that consistantly wins the MAC. Overall, I really like the challenge of the game, but it seems to me like there are just too many things stacked against you when you start with a lesser school. Does anyone else agree?[/QUOTE] I don't know...I do find it very challenging also but that's what I like most about the game. It is one of the only games I play where you don't need a ton of house rules to keep the human player in check. I definitely hear what you're saying but you also say you "just purchased the game". Maybe it'll take you several seasons to get something built to the point you would like.

now to be fair I haven't played in a mid-major confrence, I have only played in the ACC (though I will be trying to start low and see if I can build up to the point of getting offered my dream job, and then turning that program around soon) but the main thing is patients, get a good staff that motivates, develops and gameplans well to help you get a few wins, translate the wins into recruits, repeat. With UNC I went from getting 2* and 3* guys with a top recruit being a 4* and now the guys I am landing are consistantly 4* with a handful of 5* recruits every year it takes some time though, so just stick with it

now to be fair I haven't played in a mid-major confrence, I have only played in the ACC (though I will be trying to start low and see if I can build up to the point of getting offered my dream job, and then turning that program around soon) but the main thing is patients, get a good staff that motivates, develops and gameplans well to help you get a few wins, translate the wins into recruits, repeat. With UNC I went from getting 2* and 3* guys with a top recruit being a 4* and now the guys I am landing are consistantly 4* with a handful of 5* recruits every year it takes some time though, so just stick with it

[QUOTE=Deltoidius;158388]getting a big transfer QB or RB can jumpstart a program[/QUOTE] true, not my personal preference (I don't even like recruiting JC guys, I just like having guys for 4-5 years so I can see them develop) but if you are having trouble getting started a good transfer can be a big help

[QUOTE=Deltoidius;158388]getting a big transfer QB or RB can jumpstart a program[/QUOTE] true, not my personal preference (I don't even like recruiting JC guys, I just like having guys for 4-5 years so I can see them develop) but if you are having trouble getting started a good transfer can be a big help

I have gotten a big time QB and RB transfer and it does seem to help, but not if you can't get any other recruits around them. My recruiting seems to be really inconsistant. In some good years, I am able to get 1 or 2, 3 star recruits, a handful of 2 star recruits and the rest 1 star fillers. In bad years, I get only a few 2 star recruits and the rest 1 star. I have been using the same general strategy each year with sometimes dramaticlly differnt results. Do you think that my coordinators have an impact on the recruits that I get or is it just the AI for recruiting that is different each year? I have been trying several different recruiting strategies to see which one works the best. Once I can duplicate several years in a row of good recruits, I'll document the strategy that seems to work the best.

I have gotten a big time QB and RB transfer and it does seem to help, but not if you can't get any other recruits around them. My recruiting seems to be really inconsistant. In some good years, I am able to get 1 or 2, 3 star recruits, a handful of 2 star recruits and the rest 1 star fillers. In bad years, I get only a few 2 star recruits and the rest 1 star. I have been using the same general strategy each year with sometimes dramaticlly differnt results. Do you think that my coordinators have an impact on the recruits that I get or is it just the AI for recruiting that is different each year? I have been trying several different recruiting strategies to see which one works the best. Once I can duplicate several years in a row of good recruits, I'll document the strategy that seems to work the best.

[QUOTE]I went from getting 2* and 3* guys with a top recruit being a 4* and now the guys I am landing are consistantly 4* with a handful of 5* recruits every year it takes some time though, so just stick with it [/QUOTE] How many years did it take you to start getting those recruits? I have simmed as many as 10 years and still haven't been able to get my prestige to move or to be able to consistantly get better recruits. I will get a good year or maybe 2 and then right back to a year where I get nothing but 1 star recruits. There must be a factor that I am overlooking. Perhaps coordinators?

[QUOTE]I went from getting 2* and 3* guys with a top recruit being a 4* and now the guys I am landing are consistantly 4* with a handful of 5* recruits every year it takes some time though, so just stick with it [/QUOTE] How many years did it take you to start getting those recruits? I have simmed as many as 10 years and still haven't been able to get my prestige to move or to be able to consistantly get better recruits. I will get a good year or maybe 2 and then right back to a year where I get nothing but 1 star recruits. There must be a factor that I am overlooking. Perhaps coordinators?

I have been able to pull up a 30 prestige school to 45 over a 18 year period. The biggest thing I have found for building up a program is development. Be sure to get an OC and DC that can develop talent. Even if they cannot scout very well that is fine. It doesnt matter if he can scout becuase if the players do not get any better, then you are still in the same place you started. Also the proper gameplan is very important. With a good gameplan you can easly see you win total go up by 2 wins a year. The difference between 3 straight 6-5 seasons compared to 8-4 seasons can be huge in building your program.

I have been able to pull up a 30 prestige school to 45 over a 18 year period. The biggest thing I have found for building up a program is development. Be sure to get an OC and DC that can develop talent. Even if they cannot scout very well that is fine. It doesnt matter if he can scout becuase if the players do not get any better, then you are still in the same place you started. Also the proper gameplan is very important. With a good gameplan you can easly see you win total go up by 2 wins a year. The difference between 3 straight 6-5 seasons compared to 8-4 seasons can be huge in building your program.

It took me about 6 years to turn Utah State into an Above Average prestige team with the ability to produce a 8 to 9 win season every year for the rest of my career. I focused on things a little differently though, recruiting to me was there to fill the holes I could not get my transfers coming over. So the bulk of my money went into my coaches, then into Medical and Strength & Conditioning.

It took me about 6 years to turn Utah State into an Above Average prestige team with the ability to produce a 8 to 9 win season every year for the rest of my career. I focused on things a little differently though, recruiting to me was there to fill the holes I could not get my transfers coming over. So the bulk of my money went into my coaches, then into Medical and Strength & Conditioning.

Archived