Finesse Blockers

Arlie- OL defined as finesse blockers...are these guys more skilled in trap, draws and screen plays? Do they tend to have better agility/hands than say strength/aggressiveness? Do they tend to "favor" either run blocking or pass blocking? How are they most effectively used to max their prefered style of play? Can their style change over the course of their career depending on their development...or pretty much locked in? Are there things to look for during the recruiting process that would help to identify a potential finesse OL? TXS

Finesse blockers tend to be better on agility than strength. On average, they will be better at pass blocking than run blocking, but their technical skills could help make up for that. In other words, if you see a finesse blocker with a high run blocking skill and average pass blocking skill, chances are he will be better overall than one with an average run blocking skill but a high pass blocking one. The reasoning being that the player's physical skills will help him more in pass blocking, so he will need more technique when blocking the run. I would look for agility+hands for finesse guys and aggressiveness+strength (even a little accel) for power guys. A player's style is somewhat constant, but he certainly can improve in certain skills making him more well rounded over time.

Finesse blockers tend to be better on agility than strength. On average, they will be better at pass blocking than run blocking, but their technical skills could help make up for that. In other words, if you see a finesse blocker with a high run blocking skill and average pass blocking skill, chances are he will be better overall than one with an average run blocking skill but a high pass blocking one. The reasoning being that the player's physical skills will help him more in pass blocking, so he will need more technique when blocking the run. I would look for agility+hands for finesse guys and aggressiveness+strength (even a little accel) for power guys. A player's style is somewhat constant, but he certainly can improve in certain skills making him more well rounded over time.

Arlie- TXS BTW...1.47 has really made the game very enjoyable and immersive! The annotated gamelogs...for me...have made the game so much more realistic. Very little frustations come up now when you call the "right" play, but the result turns out to be unfavorable... having the ability to check the game log answers 95% of the questions...and it is great for realism that the perfect play call does not succeed all the time. Also, better defenses are now giving up less yards...my guess is 40-60 ypg on the average (gut feeling with a little bit of data:D )

Arlie- TXS BTW...1.47 has really made the game very enjoyable and immersive! The annotated gamelogs...for me...have made the game so much more realistic. Very little frustations come up now when you call the "right" play, but the result turns out to be unfavorable... having the ability to check the game log answers 95% of the questions...and it is great for realism that the perfect play call does not succeed all the time. Also, better defenses are now giving up less yards...my guess is 40-60 ypg on the average (gut feeling with a little bit of data:D )

Archived