Brandon Benson Dynasty

-Laramie, WY- The University of Wyoming Athletic Director Shaun Pepper announced today that Brandon Benson has been hired to be the next head coach of the Wyoming Cowboy football program. For Benson, 43, this will be his first head coach position at the college level. He played tight end for the Wyoming Cowboys from 1980-83 receiving all conference honors as a Junior and Senior and helped to led the Cowboys to a conference championship as a Senior. After graduation with a degree in secondary education he became a high school teacher and an assistant football coach in Durango, Colorado were he spent 3 years. He then moved to his high school alma mater where he was hired as head coach in Glenrock, Wyoming. He spent 4 years there leading the Herders to back to back state football championships in his last 2 years at the helm. He was hired as a tight end/wide receivers coach at Montana St. were he spent 5 years at that position before being promoted to offensive coordinator/ assistant head coach he was at that position for 5 more years before being hired for the same position at Washington State. Where he helped the Cougars to the Pac-10 and Rose Bowl Championship just last year and saw his high powered offense put up 43.4 points per game and average just under 450 yards per game last season. "I know that I'm known for offense, but I want to stress that with a young team, as we have, defense has to be our highest priority. It will take us 2 or 3 recruiting classes to get the kind of athletes here to run the offense that I ran at WSU." AD Stephan Pepper said as he introduce Benson, " I know this young coach hasn't been a head coach before but I feel he has the makeup and determination to become great one day and I just hope he will be willing to stay in Laramie for a long time to come."

Preseason Coach Benson worked on installing plays into the new playbook with his new offensive coordinator Dave Donaldson and down the hall had he his defensive coordinator Daniel Nelson was working with his assistants going over tape of the last season in which the Cowboys went a disappointing 3-8 and 1-7 in conference. "We've been over this time and time again, Dave. I just don't know if the run and shoot is going to work this year or not. I don't know if we have the receivers to do it. Our quarterback position is strong as is our running back position, but everything else is in disaray." "I know, Coach, but if we're going to run this in the future we have to start doing it at some time", responded Donaldson. "We should probably go ahead a run a scaled down version of it for this season so we can show the recruits a little bit of what to expect so we can get some descent athletes in for next season. I think I'll go next door and talk to Nelson and see if he's making any head way on the defense". On defense things seemed to be a better at least for this season. There are several good players that side of the ball. "We have couple of very good players at each position should help this defense be on of the best in the conference" Nelson had told Benson. That helped to put Benson at ease on that side of the ball and concentrate on the offense.

Preseason Coach Benson worked on installing plays into the new playbook with his new offensive coordinator Dave Donaldson and down the hall had he his defensive coordinator Daniel Nelson was working with his assistants going over tape of the last season in which the Cowboys went a disappointing 3-8 and 1-7 in conference. "We've been over this time and time again, Dave. I just don't know if the run and shoot is going to work this year or not. I don't know if we have the receivers to do it. Our quarterback position is strong as is our running back position, but everything else is in disaray." "I know, Coach, but if we're going to run this in the future we have to start doing it at some time", responded Donaldson. "We should probably go ahead a run a scaled down version of it for this season so we can show the recruits a little bit of what to expect so we can get some descent athletes in for next season. I think I'll go next door and talk to Nelson and see if he's making any head way on the defense". On defense things seemed to be a better at least for this season. There are several good players that side of the ball. "We have couple of very good players at each position should help this defense be on of the best in the conference" Nelson had told Benson. That helped to put Benson at ease on that side of the ball and concentrate on the offense.

Regular Season After what seemed like forever the regular season opener was just 16 hours away. Benson went over in his head the whirlwind of the last 3 months of tedious hours of film reveiw, play installation, meeting with players, preparing for spring drills, two-a-days, and finally getting into game planning for the first game against Northern Illinois. It didn't make it any easier starting a week later than everybody else but Benson knew that they needed the extra practice time. His wife, Patricia, had been a trooper and proof that behind every great man there is a greater woman. She had held the new fort down while Brandon had spent upwards of 16 hours a day at the office. He missed his 3 children all of whom he hardley recognized when he did get the chance to see them. Ashley his oldest was almost 16 and she looked just like her mom and couldn't wait to get her drivers license. Then there was Eric who was 12 he loved football and spent many days with his dad at the practice field with the team, he was the one that Brandon saw the most of. Then there was Andy, their little accident, who just turned 5 and had started kindergarden this year. "I thought this day would never come when this season would start and I would run out onto the field as head coach of the Cowboys, the team I grew up rooting for, it's just beyond my wildest dreams." Brandon said as he laid in bed looking up at the ceiling. "I know honey, just try and get some sleep. Tomorrow is a big day and the Cowboy fans need you to be at your best tomorrow" Patricia whispered into his ear and then she kissed his cheek and cuddled up next to him and fell asleep.

Regular Season After what seemed like forever the regular season opener was just 16 hours away. Benson went over in his head the whirlwind of the last 3 months of tedious hours of film reveiw, play installation, meeting with players, preparing for spring drills, two-a-days, and finally getting into game planning for the first game against Northern Illinois. It didn't make it any easier starting a week later than everybody else but Benson knew that they needed the extra practice time. His wife, Patricia, had been a trooper and proof that behind every great man there is a greater woman. She had held the new fort down while Brandon had spent upwards of 16 hours a day at the office. He missed his 3 children all of whom he hardley recognized when he did get the chance to see them. Ashley his oldest was almost 16 and she looked just like her mom and couldn't wait to get her drivers license. Then there was Eric who was 12 he loved football and spent many days with his dad at the practice field with the team, he was the one that Brandon saw the most of. Then there was Andy, their little accident, who just turned 5 and had started kindergarden this year. "I thought this day would never come when this season would start and I would run out onto the field as head coach of the Cowboys, the team I grew up rooting for, it's just beyond my wildest dreams." Brandon said as he laid in bed looking up at the ceiling. "I know honey, just try and get some sleep. Tomorrow is a big day and the Cowboy fans need you to be at your best tomorrow" Patricia whispered into his ear and then she kissed his cheek and cuddled up next to him and fell asleep.

CowPoke Report Issue 1 Volume 1 -Laramie, WY- The Wyoming Cowboys and new head coach Brandon Benson opened up their football season yesterday against the Northern Illinois Huskies from the MAC. It was a hard fought football game that went back and forth the entire game. NIU started the scoring in the first quarter, after a Felipe Young fumble which was recovered by NIU at the Cowboy 23 yard line. 8 plays later Greg Holloman dove into the end zone for a 2 yard touchdown run and the 21,000+ fans at War Memorial Stadium were stunned silent as the extra point was banged through the uprights to make it 7-0 NIU with 8:26 left in the opening period. Wyoming didn't get down however and the Cowboys answered with a drive of their own helped by a NIU penalty and a 31 yard pass play from Edward Mills to Raul Dorman, however the drive died at the NIU 4 yard line and the Pokes had to settle for a 21 yard field goal by Steven Greene with 3:38 left in the quarter. The Cowboy defense held NIU to a 3 and out on their next possesion and forced a punt. The Pokes got the ball at their own 38 and immediatly went to work with consecutive runs by Ricky Aponte of 9 and 18 yards put the ball at the NIU35. On 1st and 10 Dennis Sparks faded back and hit Felipe Young on a 35 yard strike to give the Pokes their first lead under new head coach Benson 10-7 with 10 minutes left in the half. Neither team scored the rest of the way through the half and the for the entire 3rd quarter. NIU regained the lead, 14-10, with 7:13 left in the game after an 8 play 94 yard drive that culminated with a John King 7 yard TD run. The Cowboy defense gave up three huge plays in that drive to Jason Pierson. One a 54 yard screen pass and then back to back runs of 11 and 20 yards. The Cowboys next possesion started at their own 20 after converting on 3 third down plays to set up a first and ten at the NIU44 the Pokes called a time out to set the play. "I knew the play would work, the safteys had been having their heads in the backfield all day long trying to stop Ricky (Aponte)", said Benson after the game. Sparks took the snap faked the handoff to Ricky and the saftey and corner both bit on a double move by Jerry Jones and all Sparks had to do was get the close to Jones. He put it right on the money and Jones walked into the endzone for the go ahead touchdown. After the PAT the scoreboard read POKES 17 HUSKIES 10. The Poke defense had to take the field on more time with 3 minutes left. NIU drove down to the Wyoming 26 and with :21 left attempted a 44 yeard FG to tie and send it to overtime. "I couldn't watch",stated Benson, "the young men had fought hard all day and they just needed to come up with one more play to win the game. I knew the crowd's response would tell the story of the last play and when they errupted I knew he had missed it. I just told Dennis to go and take a knee one time." That's how the game ended with the final score 17-10 Wyoming. Cowboy Stats: Dennis Sparks-> 15-26 199 yds 2td 0int Ricky Aponte--> 22 car 106 yds 0 td Felipe Young--> 7 rec 101 yds 1td Jerry Jones---> 4 rec 72 yds 1td Wyoming 1-0 (0-0)

CowPoke Report Issue 1 Volume 1 -Laramie, WY- The Wyoming Cowboys and new head coach Brandon Benson opened up their football season yesterday against the Northern Illinois Huskies from the MAC. It was a hard fought football game that went back and forth the entire game. NIU started the scoring in the first quarter, after a Felipe Young fumble which was recovered by NIU at the Cowboy 23 yard line. 8 plays later Greg Holloman dove into the end zone for a 2 yard touchdown run and the 21,000+ fans at War Memorial Stadium were stunned silent as the extra point was banged through the uprights to make it 7-0 NIU with 8:26 left in the opening period. Wyoming didn't get down however and the Cowboys answered with a drive of their own helped by a NIU penalty and a 31 yard pass play from Edward Mills to Raul Dorman, however the drive died at the NIU 4 yard line and the Pokes had to settle for a 21 yard field goal by Steven Greene with 3:38 left in the quarter. The Cowboy defense held NIU to a 3 and out on their next possesion and forced a punt. The Pokes got the ball at their own 38 and immediatly went to work with consecutive runs by Ricky Aponte of 9 and 18 yards put the ball at the NIU35. On 1st and 10 Dennis Sparks faded back and hit Felipe Young on a 35 yard strike to give the Pokes their first lead under new head coach Benson 10-7 with 10 minutes left in the half. Neither team scored the rest of the way through the half and the for the entire 3rd quarter. NIU regained the lead, 14-10, with 7:13 left in the game after an 8 play 94 yard drive that culminated with a John King 7 yard TD run. The Cowboy defense gave up three huge plays in that drive to Jason Pierson. One a 54 yard screen pass and then back to back runs of 11 and 20 yards. The Cowboys next possesion started at their own 20 after converting on 3 third down plays to set up a first and ten at the NIU44 the Pokes called a time out to set the play. "I knew the play would work, the safteys had been having their heads in the backfield all day long trying to stop Ricky (Aponte)", said Benson after the game. Sparks took the snap faked the handoff to Ricky and the saftey and corner both bit on a double move by Jerry Jones and all Sparks had to do was get the close to Jones. He put it right on the money and Jones walked into the endzone for the go ahead touchdown. After the PAT the scoreboard read POKES 17 HUSKIES 10. The Poke defense had to take the field on more time with 3 minutes left. NIU drove down to the Wyoming 26 and with :21 left attempted a 44 yeard FG to tie and send it to overtime. "I couldn't watch",stated Benson, "the young men had fought hard all day and they just needed to come up with one more play to win the game. I knew the crowd's response would tell the story of the last play and when they errupted I knew he had missed it. I just told Dennis to go and take a knee one time." That's how the game ended with the final score 17-10 Wyoming. Cowboy Stats: Dennis Sparks-> 15-26 199 yds 2td 0int Ricky Aponte--> 22 car 106 yds 0 td Felipe Young--> 7 rec 101 yds 1td Jerry Jones---> 4 rec 72 yds 1td Wyoming 1-0 (0-0)

CowPoke Report Issue 2 Volume 1 -Tempe, AZ- The 1-0 Cowboys traveled to Tempe, Arizona on Saturday to take on the 2-0 Arizona St. Sun Devils. The 19 point underdog Cowboys not only had to play ASU they also had to battle 101 degree weather. The Pokes defense was ready to play as they came out and performed what Coach Benson called "the best defensive game I've seen in rescent memory". The Sun Devils mounted drive after drive at the Pokes but the Cowboys defense would bend a little bit but would not break. Time after time the Sun Devils would penetrate into Cowboy territory only to be denied. Unfortunately the same was true for the Cowobys offense. On their first drive the Pokes drove deep into ASU territory only to have a field goal blocked. ASU returned the favor by driving into Wyomings side of the field before being forced to try a field goal which missed wide to the left midway throught the second quarter. After several drives for each team that netted very little yardage Wyoming received a punt at their own 16 yard line and mounted the best drive of the game for either team. With 1:12 left in the half Sparks hit TE Kenneth Davis on a TE screen for 42 yards to the ASU 42 yard line then on the very next play Sparks hit Ricky Aponte on a screen pass that went for 41 yards down to the 1 yard line. The next play was a quick out pass to Jerry Jones for the one yard score after the PAT by Steven Greene the scoreboard read Wyoming 7 ASU 0. Neither team came close to scoring unitl late in the fouth quarter when ASU mounted their best drive of the day making it all the way down to the Wyoming 1 after a 41 yard pass play from Dukes to Palmer. The next play was perhaps the worst play call of the game (to every ASU fan) on first and goal ASU threw a pass that was interecepted in the endzone by Alan McNamara with 3:38 left in the fourth. The Cowboys went 3 and out and had to punt back to ASU who after getting 2 first down turned the ball over on downs and the Cowboys ran the clock down to 0:00. As the Cowboys play-by-play announcer said "The score, OHHHHH, the score, Cowboys 7 ASU 0. Cowboy Stats: Dennis Sparks---> 9-22 172 yards 1td 0int Ricky Aponte----> 15 car 63 yards 0td Raul Dorman-----> 2 rec 57 yards 0td Jerry Jones -----> 4 rec 41 yards 1td Jason Chastain--> 14 tkls 2ast 2stf 1pd Alan McNamara--> 2tkl 2ast 1int Cowboys 2-0 (0-0)

CowPoke Report Issue 2 Volume 1 -Tempe, AZ- The 1-0 Cowboys traveled to Tempe, Arizona on Saturday to take on the 2-0 Arizona St. Sun Devils. The 19 point underdog Cowboys not only had to play ASU they also had to battle 101 degree weather. The Pokes defense was ready to play as they came out and performed what Coach Benson called "the best defensive game I've seen in rescent memory". The Sun Devils mounted drive after drive at the Pokes but the Cowboys defense would bend a little bit but would not break. Time after time the Sun Devils would penetrate into Cowboy territory only to be denied. Unfortunately the same was true for the Cowobys offense. On their first drive the Pokes drove deep into ASU territory only to have a field goal blocked. ASU returned the favor by driving into Wyomings side of the field before being forced to try a field goal which missed wide to the left midway throught the second quarter. After several drives for each team that netted very little yardage Wyoming received a punt at their own 16 yard line and mounted the best drive of the game for either team. With 1:12 left in the half Sparks hit TE Kenneth Davis on a TE screen for 42 yards to the ASU 42 yard line then on the very next play Sparks hit Ricky Aponte on a screen pass that went for 41 yards down to the 1 yard line. The next play was a quick out pass to Jerry Jones for the one yard score after the PAT by Steven Greene the scoreboard read Wyoming 7 ASU 0. Neither team came close to scoring unitl late in the fouth quarter when ASU mounted their best drive of the day making it all the way down to the Wyoming 1 after a 41 yard pass play from Dukes to Palmer. The next play was perhaps the worst play call of the game (to every ASU fan) on first and goal ASU threw a pass that was interecepted in the endzone by Alan McNamara with 3:38 left in the fourth. The Cowboys went 3 and out and had to punt back to ASU who after getting 2 first down turned the ball over on downs and the Cowboys ran the clock down to 0:00. As the Cowboys play-by-play announcer said "The score, OHHHHH, the score, Cowboys 7 ASU 0. Cowboy Stats: Dennis Sparks---> 9-22 172 yards 1td 0int Ricky Aponte----> 15 car 63 yards 0td Raul Dorman-----> 2 rec 57 yards 0td Jerry Jones -----> 4 rec 41 yards 1td Jason Chastain--> 14 tkls 2ast 2stf 1pd Alan McNamara--> 2tkl 2ast 1int Cowboys 2-0 (0-0)

CowPoke Report Issue 3 Volume 1 -Provo, UT- The Cowboy defense won the game for the Cowboys a week ago against Arizona State and it did it again against BYU in the Mountain West Conference opener for both school on Saturday night. Last week the Pokes defense didn't allow a point and made a game saving interception. This week the defense did a lot more. "I said when I was first hired that the defense would be our main priority this season and so far it's worked out very well. Our defense has won 2 games for us already this season." Cowboy cornerback Jesus Wang intercepted a Jard DeWitt pass and returned it 77 yards for a touchdown with 3:30 left in the first quarter. BYU answered that score early in the second quarter with a James Martinez 6 yard touchdown run to tie the score at 7-7. Steven Greene added two field goals on back to back possesions on of 29 yards and one of 27 yards to make the score Wyoming 13 BYU 7 with 1:21 left in the half. However that left just a little to much time on the clock as BYU scored on a 71 yard touchdown strike from Jared Dewitt to Charles Ferguson with :43 left in the half to make the score at the half Wyoming 13 BYU 14. The second half scoring for Wyoming started out much like the first half scoring did. After a 14 yard completion from DeWitt to Dunham, Freshman Anthony Smith tatooed Dunham the ball popping out and Russell Jones recovering it and returning it 17 yards for a touchdown. Wyoming attempted a 2 point conversion which failed making the score Wyoming 19 BYU 14. Later in the third Ricky Aponte capped off another Cowboy drive with a 12 yard touchdown run, after the PAT the score was Wyoming 26 BYU 14. Wyoming would add a late 23 yard field goal by Greene to make the final score Wyoming 29 BYU 14. "Any time you can come into Provo and steal a win from BYU you've done something special. We really have to be carefull next year because you know they are going to have this game circled on the schedule. They're going to want to do the same thing to us that we just did to them." Coach Benson said at his press conference after the game. " I just can't say enough about our defense, they've showed up big time the last two weeks. I give all the credit to Dan (Coach Nelson) he's done an outstanding job with this group." Benson also stated " We're really fortunate that we have a bye week next week as both our first and second string quarterbacks got dinged up this week, well need the next week to get them healed up a little bit." Cowboy Stats: Todd Jordan---> 4-11 111 yards 0td 2int Ricky Aponte--> 28 car 108 yards 0td Raul Dorman---> 1rec 49 yards 0td Jesus Wang---> 7tkls 3ast 1sk 1int 2 ff 1pd 1td Russell Jones--> 4 tkls 2sks 1fr 1td Cowboys 3-0 (1-0)

CowPoke Report Issue 3 Volume 1 -Provo, UT- The Cowboy defense won the game for the Cowboys a week ago against Arizona State and it did it again against BYU in the Mountain West Conference opener for both school on Saturday night. Last week the Pokes defense didn't allow a point and made a game saving interception. This week the defense did a lot more. "I said when I was first hired that the defense would be our main priority this season and so far it's worked out very well. Our defense has won 2 games for us already this season." Cowboy cornerback Jesus Wang intercepted a Jard DeWitt pass and returned it 77 yards for a touchdown with 3:30 left in the first quarter. BYU answered that score early in the second quarter with a James Martinez 6 yard touchdown run to tie the score at 7-7. Steven Greene added two field goals on back to back possesions on of 29 yards and one of 27 yards to make the score Wyoming 13 BYU 7 with 1:21 left in the half. However that left just a little to much time on the clock as BYU scored on a 71 yard touchdown strike from Jared Dewitt to Charles Ferguson with :43 left in the half to make the score at the half Wyoming 13 BYU 14. The second half scoring for Wyoming started out much like the first half scoring did. After a 14 yard completion from DeWitt to Dunham, Freshman Anthony Smith tatooed Dunham the ball popping out and Russell Jones recovering it and returning it 17 yards for a touchdown. Wyoming attempted a 2 point conversion which failed making the score Wyoming 19 BYU 14. Later in the third Ricky Aponte capped off another Cowboy drive with a 12 yard touchdown run, after the PAT the score was Wyoming 26 BYU 14. Wyoming would add a late 23 yard field goal by Greene to make the final score Wyoming 29 BYU 14. "Any time you can come into Provo and steal a win from BYU you've done something special. We really have to be carefull next year because you know they are going to have this game circled on the schedule. They're going to want to do the same thing to us that we just did to them." Coach Benson said at his press conference after the game. " I just can't say enough about our defense, they've showed up big time the last two weeks. I give all the credit to Dan (Coach Nelson) he's done an outstanding job with this group." Benson also stated " We're really fortunate that we have a bye week next week as both our first and second string quarterbacks got dinged up this week, well need the next week to get them healed up a little bit." Cowboy Stats: Todd Jordan---> 4-11 111 yards 0td 2int Ricky Aponte--> 28 car 108 yards 0td Raul Dorman---> 1rec 49 yards 0td Jesus Wang---> 7tkls 3ast 1sk 1int 2 ff 1pd 1td Russell Jones--> 4 tkls 2sks 1fr 1td Cowboys 3-0 (1-0)

Archived