Samoa Joe vs. Kurt Angle

Rocland

I just watched this match. And I thought it was very good, if not a little to short. I know for me personally this was a dream match, and I cannot wait to see them go again. So for those who want to see it, I found the match on the NODQ.com forums. Here is the link (it's on megaupload). [URL="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N76CCNCZ"]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N76CCNCZ[/URL]

• 2 weeks later...
so much for being the dream match for TNA. posted on the website are the nominees for their "end of the year awards" Match of the Year: (2005 Winner: Abyss vs. Sabu in Barbed Wire Massacre) This Year’s Nominees Are: The Ultimate X (Styles & Daniels vs. The Latin American Exchange) No Surrender Full Metal Mayhem (Christian Cage vs. Abyss) Sacrifice America’s Most Wanted vs. AJ Styles & Christopher Daniels (Slammiversary) Christian Cage vs. Jeff Jarrett (Against All Odds) King Of The Mountain (Slammiversary) Sting vs. Jeff Jarrett (Bound For Glory) Monster’s Ball 3 (Abyss vs. Samoa Joe vs. Raven vs. Runt) Bound For Glory

[QUOTE=mystic;162666]so much for being the dream match for TNA. posted on the website are the nominees for their "end of the year awards" Match of the Year: (2005 Winner: Abyss vs. Sabu in Barbed Wire Massacre) This Year’s Nominees Are: The Ultimate X (Styles & Daniels vs. The Latin American Exchange) No Surrender Full Metal Mayhem (Christian Cage vs. Abyss) Sacrifice America’s Most Wanted vs. AJ Styles & Christopher Daniels (Slammiversary) Christian Cage vs. Jeff Jarrett (Against All Odds) King Of The Mountain (Slammiversary) Sting vs. Jeff Jarrett (Bound For Glory) Monster’s Ball 3 (Abyss vs. Samoa Joe vs. Raven vs. Runt) Bound For Glory[/QUOTE] Well given that they have included Monsters Ball in that list - and it was average at best - I guess they really don't know whats a good or a bad match anyway !!! Out of that lot - I'd have to go with Ultimate X (AJ/Daniels v LAX) as the best

LAX vs. Styles and Daniels was awesome. Joe vs. Angle could've been match of the year if it had more time. But who knows, maybe with Angle's health he can't go like he used to. Although I thought his match with Abyss on the primetime debut was longer than his match with Joe at the PPV.

[QUOTE=MightyDavidson;162747]Gotta save something for later. If they do everything in the first match what does that leave for rematches?[/QUOTE] Good point. Plus it must be tough to try and live up to the hype. Everyone was expecting a five star epic.

[QUOTE=Franchise22;163141]im sure joe wins rematch with similiar quality as the first, angle than asks for a rubber match to see who truly is the best with the series tied 1-1.....then they go all out in the third match.[/QUOTE] Most likely. Or they could do something like they did with Angle and Benoit and have the feud stay an ongoing thing. They're not always feuding, and sometimes they might even be teaming but it's always something in the background that could flare up at anytime.

[QUOTE=The Gaz;163286]Way to go TNA. I continue to laugh at ur pathetic atempt to compete with WWE. I have been watching it more lately just to see more how it is realy going over there but its been wasting my time.[/QUOTE] By your logic, it's only pro-wrestling if it involves a 60 year old man pulling his pants down on national tv to have another man kiss it. Or it has to have women slap fight eachother for 2 minutes and roll around in under-garments for it to be viewed as proper sports entertainment. Hell, maybe if TNA can throw in some "live sex shows" or some necrophillia angles they'll be right up there right?

[QUOTE=rocky0880;163643]By your logic, it's only pro-wrestling if it involves a 60 year old man pulling his pants down on national tv to have another man kiss it. Or it has to have women slap fight eachother for 2 minutes and roll around in under-garments for it to be viewed as proper sports entertainment. Hell, maybe if TNA can throw in some "live sex shows" or some necrophillia angles they'll be right up there right?[/QUOTE] Just ignore him Rocky. It's the best way to handle guys like that.

WrestlingInc.com said this: [quote]Joe/Angle was booked to go 25 minutes at Genesis but Angle called for the finish about 10 minutes early. Angle's reasoning for this is not known at this time.[/quote] Seems quite likely to me as I would've thought Joe vs Angle would've been a fairly long match. Plus I don't believe for a second that Kurt is in as great physical shape as he makes out to be.

[QUOTE=Undertaker666;163656]WrestlingInc.com said this: Seems quite likely to me as I would've thought Joe vs Angle would've been a fairly long match. Plus I don't believe for a second that Kurt is in as great physical shape as he makes out to be.[/QUOTE] Which makes it much more sensible for TNA to do the money match of Joe vs Angle as soon as possible, while Angle is still in relatively good shape. That said, I hope it was some other reason that caused Angle to end the match early.

[QUOTE=MightyDavidson;163664]Which makes it much more sensible for TNA to do the money match of Joe vs Angle as soon as possible, while Angle is still in relatively good shape. That said, I hope it was some other reason that caused Angle to end the match early.[/QUOTE] I think it would've been more sensible to have a longer buildup so Angle could get in shape for what would likely be a truly intensive match, I don't want Kurt rushing into things and pushing himself over the edge. The list of injuries that occured during his last match in ECW shows his dedication to provide great matches for the fans but it also shows a lack of respect for his own body.

[QUOTE=Undertaker666;163698]I think it would've been more sensible to have a longer buildup so Angle could get in shape for what would likely be a truly intensive match, I don't want Kurt rushing into things and pushing himself over the edge. The list of injuries that occured during his last match in ECW shows his dedication to provide great matches for the fans but it also shows a lack of respect for his own body.[/QUOTE] Normally I agree, but that would require Kurt to be willing to take time off and I think his past history indicates that isn't the case. Ideally you'd be right of course but the situation is hardly ideal.

[QUOTE=MightyDavidson;163764]Normally I agree, but that would require Kurt to be willing to take time off and I think his past history indicates that isn't the case. Ideally you'd be right of course but the situation is hardly ideal.[/QUOTE] Exactly. That's why, unfortunately, I think Kurt's going to seriously injure himself if he isn't careful. I can't understand his mindset to be honest, why would you put up with getting constantly injured over a long period of time instead of resting up and returning when you're in top form? It's not even as if he's some random lower card wrestler who'd be forgotten easily. If he'd waited, rested up, got back in shape and then TNA announced his signing I think it would've had an even greater impact. (no pun intended)

[QUOTE=Undertaker666;163766]Exactly. That's why, unfortunately, I think Kurt's going to seriously injure himself if he isn't careful. I can't understand his mindset to be honest, why would you put up with getting constantly injured over a long period of time instead of resting up and returning when you're in top form? It's not even as if he's some random lower card wrestler who'd be forgotten easily. If he'd waited, rested up, got back in shape and then TNA announced his signing I think it would've had an even greater impact. (no pun intended)[/QUOTE] That's true and I whole heartedly agree with you. Apparently however Angle doesn't see it that way. I don't pretend to know or understand why but that's clearly the situation. We can only hope he doesn't get injured, it's all we can do.

[QUOTE=jonlawson;163877]I think Angle is a workhorse IMO. He didn't want the time off for sure, but man, imagine how much better he could've been and the impact he would've made coming back in better shape.[/QUOTE] Precisely. If Angle had taken say a year off to get back in peak physical condition, his return to WWE/signing for TNA would've been on the same level if The Rock came back to wrestling.

[QUOTE=Undertaker666;163886]Precisely. If Angle had taken say a year off to get back in peak physical condition, his return to WWE/signing for TNA would've been on the same level if The Rock came back to wrestling.[/QUOTE] Yeah, it's dissapointing to me... The picture in my head is totally different then the picture that is trying (but failing, easily by just reading this post, failing misserably) to be made of it by Kurt and a bit by TNA. You could say, Well, Kurt finally wants to wrestle for real, is wanting to be up against better opponants, and so he come's to TNA. That just don't jive, even when he says something to that extent, it sounds forced and bassically, well, rushed. The picture in my head about Kurt is different, here is how I see it: Vince knowing Kurt's health is not in the best shape. Kurt having multiple injuries almost everytime he wrestle's, noticing all the pain pills and similar things going on with Kurt, asks Kurt to take some time off. Spend some time with your family, relax, get your body back in shape a bit. Kurt doesn't really want this, as he feels he is only young once, and wants to do everything he can now, before he is "to old". He don't want to end up like Ric Flair, you know.... (although I would think that is a very GOOD goal to achieve). So Kurt looks into something else right away... "So Vince thinks I need time off, let's see what's going on in the MMA world right now!" Kind of taking it to the next limit for sure their, and although that didn't happen, got everyone thinking that it was a crazy idea. So TNA jumps in, something I don't think Kurt was really expecting, but jumps on the opportunity right away. Seeing that they are about to get a better time slot, and knowing they will use him in a way that will enhance him, he is silly not to take this opportunity. I mean, if your going to do something no matter what, and your body is falling apart... Which would you choose. I have never believed Angle to be dumb, Just think he is too anxious is all. Has nothing to proove, but feels he has to proove something. So he jumps at TNA's offer, and becomes their knew centerpiece. TNA is great for worker's like Kurt, if they are in great condition/health. He is not in bad health, but his body is not 100%, nor will it ever be. However, he could have done something about it, gave it a rest or something, but choose not to. TNA would have been great for him 10 year's ago.... TNA's policy being, you can do as much or as little as you want here. It's up to you. That's where I am worried most, is with TNA's unsaid policy. He is willing to do EVERYTHING, not just some things. SO this is where the concern for his health lies with me.

I think Vince making Kurt take the time off is probably the only time that Vince has ever stepped in and stopped one of his employees working themselves into the ground. And he probably only did that because he never thought in a million years that Angle would jump ship. Kurt saying that all the best talent is in TNA is a false statement. Sure they've got a great talent pool but you can't dismiss some of the workers that WWE has got. Finaly, Regal, Benoit, Hass, Benjamin, Flair, HBK and Undertaker (i'm being serious) to name but a few all have the technical ability for great matches if given the chance. If a PPV had a triple-threat match featuring Finlay, Regal and Benoit i'd buy it just for that match alone. Kurt's very much a crowd pleaser and I think he's most at home in a ring surrounded by thousands of adoring fans. I think that he knows his body is falling apart at a rapid rate and that he wants to do as much as he can before it does. What I don't understand though is that he's got nothing left to prove, he's won all of the major WWE titles and even an olympic gold medal.

[QUOTE=Undertaker666;164050]I think Vince making Kurt take the time off is probably the only time that Vince has ever stepped in and stopped one of his employees working themselves into the ground. And he probably only did that because he never thought in a million years that Angle would jump ship. Kurt saying that all the best talent is in TNA is a false statement. Sure they've got a great talent pool but you can't dismiss some of the workers that WWE has got. Finaly, Regal, Benoit, Hass, Benjamin, Flair, HBK and Undertaker (i'm being serious) to name but a few all have the technical ability for great matches if given the chance. If a PPV had a triple-threat match featuring Finlay, Regal and Benoit i'd buy it just for that match alone. Kurt's very much a crowd pleaser and I think he's most at home in a ring surrounded by thousands of adoring fans. I think that he knows his body is falling apart at a rapid rate and that he wants to do as much as he can before it does. [COLOR="Yellow"]What I don't understand though is that he's got nothing left to prove, he's won all of the major WWE titles and even an olympic gold medal[/COLOR].[/QUOTE] My two cents........ He don't have a thing to proove, and I don't think Vince feels he does either.... Which is why he actually come to him and stopped him, instead of letting him destroy himself. He know's Kurt would have always been a good draw, someone he could come back to, kind of like Hogan, Flair, Mankind, Undertaker, or any of the people you mentioned... He lets them have time off regularly, and then when they are ready, they come back and he books them back onto the main event. Kurt is not unlike any of the people you mentioned, in that he could easily come back and do the same. Benoit took time off, and I heard on some websight Vince had asked him too, several times the same thing with Taker, etc.. So it's not just Kurt (unless I've been misled), that he has asked.. however. Kurt wants in there. He don't want a rest. I think he wants to proove that Vince doesn't know what he's talking about partly, and to himself, that he can keep doing it for the rest of his life, if he so chooses. I think Kurt want's to be the one to say when it's time for him to take a break, instead of Vince (or anyone else for that matter). So stepping right back in the ring, is one way to show "whoever" that he is his own decision maker.

[QUOTE=Undertaker666;164050]I think Vince making Kurt take the time off is probably the only time that Vince has ever stepped in and stopped one of his employees working themselves into the ground. And he probably only did that because he never thought in a million years that Angle would jump ship. Kurt saying that all the best talent is in TNA is a false statement. Sure they've got a great talent pool but you can't dismiss some of the workers that WWE has got. Finaly, Regal, Benoit, Hass, Benjamin, Flair, HBK and Undertaker (i'm being serious) to name but a few all have the technical ability for great matches if given the chance. If a PPV had a triple-threat match featuring Finlay, Regal and Benoit i'd buy it just for that match alone. Flair, HBK and Undertaker were great talents in thier respective primes, now a days however not so much. Age can does that unfortunately. I agree with you about Finley, Regal, Benoit, Hass and Benjamin however. Pity the gold is surrounded by so much dross however.

Archived