A question about grades

I'm curious, how is the recruiting grade done? Is it strictly based off of recruiting class rank? Is recruiting class rank strictly based off of recruit ranking? As a small school (Buffalo), I thought I was doing a pretty good job recruiting by picking up guys ranking 3.0 - 4.0, but I always get an F for recruiting. My best recruiting pick up so far was a DT who was ranked #1830 nationally and #99 by position, and had talent/potential of 1.0/4.0 (out of 5.0). Now my question is this, assuming I'm not getting any credit for him, is it because of his low initial talent, or simply because of his low ranking? Does spending resources discovering hidden talent hurt your recruiting ranking over just always going after the highest ranked recruit? The following year I picked up a 2.0/3.0 RB and I still got an F for recruiting. Is it just because the overall class isn't good enough? It seems like if I manage to pick up any good recruits with a low prestige team who managed to cobble together a total of 10 wins in the last three season I should be getting some credit for recruiting. What do they expect from me a top 20 recruit? Sorry for the long ramble. Just curious how this grading works.

I have noticed that the prestige and record of your teams has nothing to do with the recruiting grade. If you have all 1 star (1.0 current rating) with one or two 2 star recruits, you will probably get an F or D-, no matter what your school prestige is. Working with FAU (starting prestige less than 30 and I raised it to 35 by the time I left) I was only able to get a 3 star recruit about once every 3-4 years and most recruits were one stars. So my recruiting grade was usually an F or D. The most important thing to do with small schools is to do well in the conference and try to schedule games against teams with higher prestige to raise your own prestige. The more conference games you win, the happier your board, the happier your board, the more money you get, the more money you get, the better coaches and scouting service you have, and they help you get better recruits and help them to reach their potential.

Arlie: Thanks for the clarification. udlb58: I actually managed to win the conference Campionship (going 9-4) and the Motor City Bowl my first year with Buffalo, that shot my prestige up real quick ;) I've actually been getting decent grades in general (except for my last two disaster years), I was just curious about how recruiting grade was factored. It sounds like you play with a pretty similar strategy to me, although I only attempted to take on more then one ranked team in my third year, then I decided it wasn't worth the moral blow. I only schedule one ranked team per year now ;) Thanks for the feedback though.

Archived