Happy Thanksgiving!(And Samao Joe on Umaga)

djthefunkchris

For those that enjoy this traditional holiday, Happy Holiday and good cheer to you! I found something interesting, probably really old, but thought I would share it with everyone. "On Samoa Joe's MySpace page (myspace.com/joeism), he was asked about WWE's Umaga. Here is his response: Q. Dear Joe what do you think about Umaga? Is he a ripoff of you? A. I think Umaga is a strong Hamo in the struggle and I hope he wrecks everyone over there. Ahh not the answer you where expecting? Honestly I am more than happy for the success Umaga is enjoying in the WWE. By the way what is with people saying he is a rip off of me? Honestly thats like comparing Bad News Allen to Samba Simba. GET that lazy ass comparison bullsh!% out of here. As for him being undefeated good on him. I don't know if yall noticed but in Pro Wrestling Circles Samoans are usually on average MUCH better that .500."

Good on Joe then, it's good to see somebody happy for the success of another. Besides, I've always thought the Umanga/Samoa Joe comparison was horribly unfair to Umanga. Sure he's not as good as Samoa Joe but then that's true of a lot of wrestlers, so why get on his case about it just because they're both Samoan? Fact of the matter is, Jamal has gotten MUCH better since he came back from Japan and he's pretty much the only reason I ever tune into RAW now a days.

We already had our Thanksgiving last month (in Canada), but Happy Thanksgiving to everyone else :) I know that Umaga is part of the big Anao'i samoan wrestling family (Afa, Sika, Rosey, Rock, Yokozuna, Jimmy Snuka etc etc), is Joe apart of that same family too?

[QUOTE=Rocland;161589]We already had our Thanksgiving last month (in Canada), but Happy Thanksgiving to everyone else :) I know that Umaga is part of the big Anao'i samoan wrestling family (Afa, Sika, Rosey, Rock, Yokozuna, Jimmy Snuka etc etc), is Joe apart of that same family too?[/QUOTE] I don't think so. I'd have to check to be sure, but if I recall correctly his entry on wikipedia makes a point of listing him as one of the few Samoan wrestlers who was't part of the Anao'i wrestling family.

Happy Turkey Day to all !!!!!!!! ... and we have yet another Detroit Lions game to watch and they lose again.... yea!!!! I always love watching my team get beat while gorging myself w/ deviled eggs... anyway. Bless everyone here ..... I enjoyed the Samoa Joe read... TNA is on tonight and I wonder how he will do after Angle made him tap out... Enjoy the feast, as I am now fixing to eat some more... :)

[QUOTE=wooodaddy;161610]Happy Turkey Day to all !!!!!!!! ... and we have yet another Detroit Lions game to watch and they lose again.... yea!!!! I always love watching my team get beat while gorging myself w/ deviled eggs... anyway. Bless everyone here ..... I enjoyed the Samoa Joe read... TNA is on tonight and I wonder how he will do after Angle made him tap out... Enjoy the feast, as I am now fixing to eat some more... :)[/QUOTE] Bah, I somehow got my times mixed up, and was late getting home to see TNA, thinking it come on an hour later then it did. If anyone could do an update for me, it would be a blessing. Mostly, I want to know if the quality of the show was as good as the two hour special, thanks in advance.

It was a decent show.... AJ Styles is being set up for a heel change, as he teamed up w/ Daniels for the last time to beat the Naturals and Rhyno came to celebrate w/ the 2 and AJ walked off shouting some junk... Eric Young did some turkey costume comedy and was challenged by Roode again and again beat him, Roode pitched a baby fit and blamed Brooks again for his loss.. LAX is now sueing TNA for violating their 1st ammendment right, Petey Williams was pushed big time as a face during the segment and AMW came in to help the 3-1 beatdown on Williams by LAX and they quickly beat those 2 down and Kurt Angle came in and cleaned house, then Samoa Joe came out and showed his respect to Angle and then challenged him to a rematch at Turning Point, Kurt agreed as long as they watched each other's back until then... Cage and Sting wrestled for the No.1 contenders spot for Abyss' title and low and behold Tomko came in to interfere while the ref was out.. this led to a no contest and Cornette said he had some thinking to do this week to resolve the situation.. pretty much it in a nut shell, if anything was left out, it probably wasn't that important... whew :D

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;161785]Thanks!! I didn't see the Angle/Joe match, but from your write-up here, I pretty much figure Angle won, right? Else, why would Joe want a rematch:-)[/QUOTE] Yes, he made homeboy TAP-OUT, and Joe was saying to Kurt... "The better man won"... wow, this could be one terrific feud... I heard it was an awesome match at Genesis...

I'm kinda hoping that Angle and Petey form a regular tag team. They can keep doing singles stuff of course, Petey going after the X-Division Title and Angle going after the world but I really want them to keep teaming with each other. Especially if they're allowed to call themselves the Can-Am Express. :) Also, having just watched Steven Regal stiff the **** out of Brian Kendricks, I'm suddenly wishing Regal was in TNA so we could see a match between him and Samoa Joe. I suspect that might be a very awesome match indeed.

[QUOTE=MightyDavidson;161802]I'm kinda hoping that Angle and Petey form a regular tag team. They can keep doing singles stuff of course, Petey going after the X-Division Title and Angle going after the world but I really want them to keep teaming with each other. Especially if they're allowed to call themselves the Can-Am Express. :) Also, having just watched Steven Regal stiff the **** out of Brian Kendricks, I'm suddenly wishing Regal was in TNA so we could see a match between him and Samoa Joe. I suspect that might be a very awesome match indeed.[/QUOTE] could be some good submission matches between Joe and Regal, maybe even an ultimate submission match, I'm liking the Can-Am Express, very creative... I don't know where there going w/ all these sudden changes.. Petey going face, Styles and Sabin going heel, Naturals going heel.. etc.. It's getting better each week...

I agree. As for the Can-Am Express they were originally a WWF tag team from the 80's, formed by Rick Martel and Tom Zenk. They broke up when Tom Zenk left the WWF for the AWA and I'm pretty sure the WWF has let the trademark slide. There was also a Can-Am Express that wrestled in Japan. They were Doug Furnas and Dan Kroffat Jr [who wrestled as Phil Lafon in the WWF]. They were successful in Japan and had a stint in the WWF, but they weren't called the Can-Am Express there. Perhaps more evidence that they let the trademark slide? Anyway, it's a great name for a tag team and it would be a nice nod to history. Plus, I'd mark. ;)

[QUOTE=MightyDavidson;161810]I agree. As for the Can-Am Express they were originally a WWF tag team from the 80's, formed by Rick Martel and Tom Zenk. They broke up when Tom Zenk left the WWF for the AWA and I'm pretty sure the WWF has let the trademark slide. There was also a Can-Am Express that wrestled in Japan. They were Doug Furnas and Dan Kroffat Jr [who wrestled as Phil Lafon in the WWF]. They were successful in Japan and had a stint in the WWF, but they weren't called the Can-Am Express there. Perhaps more evidence that they let the trademark slide? Anyway, it's a great name for a tag team and it would be a nice nod to history. Plus, I'd mark. ;)[/QUOTE] Well, I thought it sounded familar....lol... yet it's still good, well, way to be creative in remembering that...lol..

Hey partner, you might be getting your wish.. check out this link for next week's TNA Impact... look who's teaming up.... :D [url]http://www.sescoops.com/artman/publish/article_5842.shtml[/url] Rey Mysterio is also rumored to be moving to TNA in the Spring..... Look out X-Division, He should be able to shine in the TNA...

I heard about that, they're facing LAX. That's what caused me to think about them team regularly in the first place. Perhaps LAX will bring in two more latino wrestlers [one for the X-Division and one for the World title maybe?] and they could have a Wargames type match between LAX and AMW/Petey/Angle? That would be cool. As for Rey Mysterio coming into TNA, I hope that it's true because that would so rock. Mysterio vs Styles, Mysterio vs Senshi, Mysterio vs Daniels, certainly sounds like money to me. :) Also, while we're on the subject of things we'd really like to see in TNA, am I the only one who thinks it would be wicked cool seeing Tajiri face off against Senshi?

[QUOTE=wooodaddy;162013]Tajiri and Senshi *[I]scratches his head in deep thought.[/I]...I like it.. I think this would be a sick and twisted match up, maybe a deathmatch, w/ exploding barbed wire, scorpions, etc... nice idea, MightyD..[/QUOTE] Hadn't thought of it that way, I was thinking more along the lines of him and Senshi wailing on each other with nasty stiff kicks. Though really the deathmatch idea works. Not sure TNA would actually book it though.

I think Umaga is a Samoa Joe rip off, but not because it was TNA's "brilliant" idea. Joe was unstoppable before he went to TNA, in RoH. They probably wanted to bring Joe in as Umaga, but since he picked TNA they had to settle for the next best thing.

[QUOTE=MightyDavidson;162024]Hadn't thought of it that way, I was thinking more along the lines of him and Senshi wailing on each other with nasty stiff kicks. Though really the deathmatch idea works. Not sure TNA would actually book it though.[/QUOTE] yeah, they could do all that to. in a brutal fashion...;) they both look like they could put on a heck of a deathmatch...

[QUOTE=wooodaddy;162135]yeah, they could do all that to. in a brutal fashion...;) they both look like they could put on a heck of a deathmatch...[/QUOTE] Well Tajiri's done that in the past I belive, but honestly the whole Deathmatch genre of wrestling isn't really my thing. I mean I enjoy a nice stiff brawl as much as anybody else but there's such a thing as too much.

[QUOTE=ZMAN;162121]I think Umaga is a Samoa Joe rip off, but not because it was TNA's "brilliant" idea. Joe was unstoppable before he went to TNA, in RoH. They probably wanted to bring Joe in as Umaga, but since he picked TNA they had to settle for the next best thing.[/QUOTE] So by your method of reasoning.... Since WWE wanted to make an Umaga Character, and they almost hired Samoa Joe to be this Umaga character, then the guy they did pick to play Umaga is ripping off Samoa Joe? Sorry if I'm getting this wrong, but your bassically saying, no matter what, WWE was going to make an Umaga character.... So if the guy that is playing it now, was like third on the list, and there was one before Samoa Joe, would that mean that Joe is really a rip off of maybe Afa Gogigo Badamdam? (Made that name up.) If I need a Samoa Bulldozer, I guess any Samoan would do, lol. EDIT: To be fair though. I think Samoa Joe would have made a wonderfull Umaga, but... If I had both of them, I would form them into some sort of stable, the Samoan Bulldozer and the Wrestling Machine together would just be too perfect for a tag team/stable and would have easily (with both as they are) in my opinion, been a formidable force on the card.

Archived