Guitars

Int. Champion. 101

You may want to look into an acoustic, honestly -- the portability of the thing is nice so you can take it wherever without having to drag your amp along. On top of that, the sound is nice and some Acoustics have 1/4" outputs for amp use. Check that out, I say! Guitar can be a harsh mistress. It's not as fun as playing Guitar Hero, but that's life. I'd suggest spending no more than $250 US for a starter acoustic or electric.

You'll want an amp for an electric otherwise it'll be hard to hear. I wouldn't suggest a guitar for $20. You want to make sure the neck doesn't warp (which would cause the higher strings to twang). I spent about $150 US on my starter bass and it didn't last for as long as I'd hoped. Bass may be a good introduction, I think. It would help you get accustomed to the general idea of guitar-playing although, in the end, advanced bass playing and guitar playing are two entirely different animals. Check a local music store in your area as opposed to a chain; those guys usually know a bit more about what they're doing and are a bit more passionate, a bit less monetarily inclined.

I have a Silvertone SSL3 (Les Copy) I paid $200 for it and put at least $175 in two humbuckers... A Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge and Alnico Pro in the Neck, a Marshall 15DFX amp, and I'm very pleased... I also have a Silvertone Acoustic that I paid $150 for and is well decorated w/ my little girls Princess Stickers...:D I've been playing for nearly a year and a half now, and I am pleased with what I have... I hope to get an ESP w/ the active EMG pickups here in the next year...

I use an Ovation Applause electro-acoustic, a Squire Strat electric and a fairly generic Spanish acoustic guitar that's over twenty years old - maybe twenty-five. None of them are top of the line, but they're all good enough for me :) Anyway, the trick to learning guitar the way I play it is to find a song or two you like that have relatively simple chords. ultimate-guitar.com is good for this, as the files can be sorted by difficulty level. Myself, I used a Bowling For Soup song that used went G-D-C-D and Am-C-D-G on the chorus, and a BareNaked Ladies song that was only fractionally more difficult (think there may have been an E in there). Once I had four or five chords down, I started expanding my repertoire. I still struggle with barre chords - but that's just laziness on my part. I'd say I'm a fairly competent rhythm guitarist now, which is all I ever wanted to be. Unless you want to end up as a Clapton-like lead guitarist, it shouldn't take too long to get the hang of playing, and perform to a competent standard. Just remember to practise often, a little at a time. Your fingers will cramp like crazy at first (mine still do now, but I only play once a fortnight or so) but over time it'll get easier and easier. I'd advise buying from a shop rather than online, as you get the chance to try before you buy. While my electric and acoustic guitars were gifts, I got my Ovation after playing a friend's. It's a decent starter guitar (even if it's looked down on by seasoned guitarists) and should only set you back about $200.

Well, glad to see others have spoken considering the fact that I've been craving an acoustic bass myself and, therefore, may have been a bit biased. If you need some music theory tips or anything, I'm a decent source. I'm in school for Music Industry Study: Technology, but I've taken a few theory courses in my time.

Hey I have been playing guitar off and on for the past few years, in terms of learning how long it takes to play guitar it is different for everyone and also what you want out of it. You can learn simple songs with power chords quickly like Blink 182, Nirvana and ect. However if you want to learn how to write your own solos and riffs you're going to have to learn some music theory which will take a bit longer, not to mention the various picking styles and guitar methods. I'd suggest going with an acoustic first to learn because their strings are tougher to hold down, and I find them bigger and further apart so you have to learn to stretch your fingers to make chords. I don't suggest buying anything on ebay or online just because it may be cheaper. The best way to find a guitar for you is to play the actual instrument in the store and your should go for a known name like Alvarez, Ephiphone ect. If you want an electric, which is what I started out with you'll need an amp to go with your guitar, especially if you want to play with distortion. Once again go with a known name and play it in the store to see if it feels right and sounds right to you, plus you can also ask the clerk what he thinks and pick his brains about what you should know about guitars before picking one. I started out with a Peavey Raptor EXP, but remember after you become quite fluent in playing you'll be ready to upgrade to a new guitar in a year or two depending on how much you've learned. Basically you can look at it like a computer, you can pay for what you need now or you can spend a little extra on something like a 400$ guitar like a mid ranger gibson and have that last you until you're more advance. Hope that helps some.

If you ever want to play an acoustic, you really have to learn on one. Electric's are definately easier to play, but if you start on one you'll normally get into some really bad habits that'll be difficult to get out of when moving to an acoustic. Just remember to use your little finger when learning! I only used my thumb, index and middle finger on my right hand when I started to learn, and even now (close to 10 years on) my ring and little fingers aren't that useful. It's not natural for me to use them, and they really cramp up when I do. Use them from the beginning and you'll find using them quite natural (and will be able to dance across the strings far better).

I'd suggest going to [url]http://www.musiciansfriend.com[/url] They have some really great stuff there. I'd suggest getting an Acoustic because on an Electric Guitar, you have distortion and it can make you very angry after a while. I bought a Guitar on Zzounds.com, I bought a $80 Acoustic Guitar, but when my guitar finally shipped to my door, I opened it up and I got an Electric Guitar which I later looked up and it's value was $160. It was a package with an Amp and all. But the only thing it didn't have included was a Cable to hook the guitar to the amp. But depending on how old you are and the type of place where you live, I'd suggest an Acoustic to learn on. If you have next door neighbors, I don't think they want to hear screaching from the amp as you randomly strum on your guitar. I'm not making fun of anyone, but the first time anyone, ever, picks up a guitar, it sounds like crap. Also depending on how commited you are to playing, and especially what you use to learn how to play guitar, it differs. If you teach yourself via DVD or book, it could probably take you around 8 Months to get it all down. If you have a tutor or instructor, it could take you about half the time to learn the basics. Also, Never, Ever buy guitars that are $20. It probably isn't a full size, or something is very wrong with it. Or it's a pissed off house wife selling her husband's belongings for very little money. And I'd suggest buying extra guitar strings and an extra cable before you start playing.

[QUOTE=thug saint oga;164795]you should get a five neck guitar ala rick nielsen from cheap trick. i bet that's a good one to learn on.[/QUOTE] I frickin crave that guitar! I have it as my background on my desktop! Well I bought the guitar ladies and gents, and a seperate 10-watt amp. And as I said I do know how to play an acoustic and the hardest song I know is 'Home on the Range' so I need more practice, at first I won't use the amp though but then when I get a better grip of the electric I'll start using the amp. I'd play in the basement as that place has got some wicked echos.

Personally, I found learning bass to be a lot easier than electric or acoustic. But then, I learned by ear and specifically by playing songs I liked. Took me 6 months to be able to play the bass section of "Dancewitme" by Maxwell, for example. Transitions gave me the most trouble but after a while, it becomes easier to anticipate them and prepare beforehand. I'm a Fender person so I started with a P Bass and someone gave me a Mike Dirnt signature model later. I also have a Stratocaster Custom 95 for electric. Youngest axe I have is 7 years old and the oldest is 11 and none of them have ever given me any trouble. I'm thinking of picking up a Gibson at some point because the solo from "Crazy Love" by Brian McKnight doesn't sound quite as rich on the Strat. Guitar is a great instrument to learn, no matter how difficult it might be at first.

[QUOTE=Remianen;165069]Personally, I found learning bass to be a lot easier than electric or acoustic.[/QUOTE] agreed, that's how I learned to play electric, first by starting w/ a friend of mine's bass... He plays a Fender Roscoe Beck Custom Bass, and it's got the humbucking pickups in it!!!!!! A fender with humbuckers!!!! It's really cool and has a drop D switch on it... $1,750... whew.. Anyway, I learned the basic Iron Man and Smoke on the Water, and a few others as well on his bass and then, (since I've always wanted an electric) picked it up fairly easily on my Power Chords... I thought of getting a fender, but I'm more of a Gibson man.. I'm wanting either a SG or Flying V, but I'm really liking the whole active pickup idea that ESP is building in to their product, so I will probably get an ESP... and it's a lot cheaper... :)

Archived