Prohibition on hiring employed workers

I gotta admit, I'm struggling with this. I'm playing as DAVE, and of course the owner immediately tells me I have to "develop homegrown stars" and can't pick up anyone who is employed by anyone else. This happened when I started a game as USPW, too. Maybe it's got something to do with "cult" size? Anyhow, I'm not sure how I feel about this. The whole idea that I can't share talent with the smaller indies is really weird - they don't have TV shows or big PPVs, I do... so there's no real risk of the overness increase helping them more than me. And of course, the AI has no such restrictions, so USPW immediately started signing some of my guys to PPAs and I can't do the same to them. It's irritating, since they're my primary competition and I start out at a substantial competitive disadvantage. Combine that with a relatively weak free agent market in this year's TEW (as opposed to an extremely strong PPA market) and I am pretty much stuck with the roster I have - innovation is a lot harder. I can't, say... boot Vin Tanner and replace him with Black Eagle the way I would've last year. I know this increases difficulty (it really, really does), but it seems like it's only there to increase difficulty - I'm really struggling with the logic behind it. And I'm not sure it does much for playability. I know I can turn it off in a new game... but I enjoy the other restrictions - this one just seems like it really alters the game. Thoughts?

If I were you, I'd consider starting again. As much fun as it would be to play a small fed with that restriction, the bigger you get the harder its going to be to achieve and it seems to be hurting a lot, specially given the reduced free agent pool in the US. Of course, you could pick up Madman Boone and Jack Griffith to bolster your ranks a bit, but after that you're looking at some pretty damn hard development from the lower ranks. Strangely, I've never yet had the "develop own talent" block and I've started many games at cult-size with my own promotion. My latest set of goals (conveniently, since I'm sticking this game) are to gain prestige (critical), not hire/rehire drunks (block) and not hire anyone with less than D basics. Which is a pretty damn good selection to get me by for the next 2 years. :) Derek B

Do what it says and challenge yourself. People like Kashmir Singh and Jack Griffith are still fantastic workers on the Free Agent market. DAVE needs new workers soon, because all of their stars will retire within the next few years. This is a good chance to do that, I'd think. I'd find it fun, hopefully I can get the challenge soon. Just have fun with it is my advice. Don't worry about good show ratings for awhile, you'll work it back up with the fantastic new stars I think.

keep getting this block every time i start up my WWE Raw game, annoys the hell out of me because i always try and bring in Alex Shelley and a few that are in JAPW to help bolster my development camps a little. Shame there isn't any decent people that are available on the Free agent pool there either :(

I actually was just going to post about this, because I recently got this block with PGHW, and it actually prevents me from calling up people I have under development with SAISHO (a la Simon Flemmingway), even though they're already under a developmental deal with me. I wasn't sure if this is an oversight, but I thought I should bring it up in case anybody else has had the same problem.

[QUOTE=derek_b;174844]If I were you, I'd consider starting again. As much fun as it would be to play a small fed with that restriction, the bigger you get the harder its going to be to achieve and it seems to be hurting a lot, specially given the reduced free agent pool in the US. Of course, you could pick up Madman Boone and Jack Griffith to bolster your ranks a bit, but after that you're looking at some pretty damn hard development from the lower ranks. [/QUOTE] There are some reasonably good workers out there, sure, and the earlier comment about Kashmir and etc is well taken, but I dislike the lack of reciprocity, for one thing. If DAVE is in a footrace with USPW, this sort of restriction is totally nonpragmatic - it's not anything DAVE would want to do, especially when USPW is very much not following the same rules. And the block is, as I remember it, TWO YEARS LONG! That's TWO FULL YEARS of gametime with almost no staff turnover! That's too long, honestly. I'd understand a six month prohibition, but two years is enormous. I think the "homegrown stars" block needs to be reworked. I know what it's trying to get at, but I don't know that a comprehensive hiring block on shared talent is the best way to go. I dunno. So... the blocks are random, then? If I restarted a game with DAVE, there's a chance I might not get the same restriction? I'd be fine with that - I'm only 3 weeks along - but so far I've gotten this restriction on every single game I've started.

The blocks are definitely random - I just started another game as DAVE and didn't get the homegrown restriction, although I did get the drug usage ban, which will make re-signing Emma Chase tricky, since she has drug use as a problem (or at least, she did in TEW05, haven't actually checked this in 07)

Plus most of the REAL talent in DAVE is actually on writtens anyway - Joey Minnesota, Acid, Art Reed, Scout, Guide, Sammy Bach, Teddy Powell, Eddie Peak, Big Cat Brandon, Eric Tyler (admittedly he is getting on a bit) This should give you a nice advantage over USPW, especially if they (and NOTBPW) decide to push your PPA workers (including the McWades, which NOTBPW always did in 05) - just use the shared workers as your jobbers and milk the overness that they gain in the other companies to your less popular stars (like Sammy and Teddy)

[QUOTE=hrdcoresidebrns;174880]I actually was just going to post about this, because I recently got this block with PGHW, and it actually prevents me from calling up people I have under development with SAISHO (a la Simon Flemmingway), even though they're already under a developmental deal with me. I wasn't sure if this is an oversight, but I thought I should bring it up in case anybody else has had the same problem.[/QUOTE] I brought up this problem since I was having the same trouble, and Adam assured me it is a bug, so hopefully it'll be dealt with in the first patch. I've been hit with the Homegrown block too and it's a real bummer, especially with the terrible free agent US selection as was mentioned :(

The development thing (not being able to call up workers from development because of the Homegrown block) is a bug and is being fixed. However, I'd agree. It's a good idea in theory, but in practice it's wayyy too restrictive to be much fun. It'd prefer it if it was altered so that you couldn't hire talent who worked for companies the same size or larger than you. That'd be better, because then you could still raid smaller feds for their promising talent, but you couldn't just hire in ready-made main eventers. Either that, or an overness restriction based on promotion size. Like, in DaVE's case, "you're not allowed to sign anyone who works for another company and is over D overness in the USA". That way, the talent you're bringing in are no further up the card than Lower Midcard, and so you'd still have to develop them and make them into stars yourself, without being cut off. If you're bigger than, say, Regional, the current Homegrown block is like a tournique rather than a guideline ¬_¬ Phil does WANT his company to succeed, right?

[QUOTE=hrdcoresidebrns;174880]I actually was just going to post about this, because I recently got this block with PGHW, and it actually prevents me from calling up people I have under development with SAISHO (a la Simon Flemmingway), even though they're already under a developmental deal with me. I wasn't sure if this is an oversight, but I thought I should bring it up in case anybody else has had the same problem.[/QUOTE] That would definitely be a bug that you need to report. As for the rest, I think the goals AI needs some reworking. I've gotten the ridiculous "must have B- Athletic Ability" BLOCK before with a Regional fed, which is crippling.

Oh man, this just got worse Wait... this might need its own thread, but... PLEASE TELL ME I'M NOT THINKING THIS THROUGH CORRECTLY: So I'm DaVE, right? Some of my guys are written, and that's great (but temporary - paradoxically I won't be able to resign them because I'm cult status, yet somehow I signed them in the first place - that's silly but it's a different problem)... but a lot of my guys are PPA. So I have the "no shared employees", right? Let's take Shawn Gonzalez - Good guy, important to DaVE, currently on PPA. A week after the game started, he took a position as booker of CZCW. Hell's Bouncer was picked up by USPW on a PPW basis, Carl Batch was PPA'd by TCW, I think. So... when it comes time to resign these guys, will I be blocked? If the answer is "yes", winning with DaVE and this restriction is essentially impossible, since all of your talent will eventually get signed by one of the other feds and you don't have the ability to land written contracts. I hate to be overdramatic, but this could be a fatal game flaw for the playability of DaVE or USPW. :mad:

I think it makes it interesting. I am playing with MPWF and Mexico's talent pool is a barren as the US(or worse) but I have had fun creating new characters and some of them are getting over finally. Also you can actually do talent trades and I signed an agreement with OLLIE and it works out fine. I keep trading in to bring Championa Jr into my promotion and job him to my top heels.

Hmm. Might have to try a male promotion. Sakurako Kagawa won't give me that block goal, as much as I may want her to. What's your 'New Worker Generation' at? That could mitigate the problem. Heck, Cameron Vessey has been unemployed in my game since his debut, as has Carlos Gonzalez. Is DAVE's product such that you can't use female workers? Seiko Nanami would seem to fit DAVE's general demographic. That block goal is there to force you to find talent you can turn into something, rather than relying on ready-made stars. Phil wants you to go out and find the next Nemesis, the next Eric Tyler, the next Eddie Peak. If you can't do that, just restart the game until he doesn't give you that goal anymore. The whole point of 07's changed world is that DAVE now finds itself under siege. It was the darling of 05 being just below SWF and TCW and just above everyone else, with a flexible product and a pretty darn good roster. Now, that roster has aged some and changes in the world combined with that have made DAVE a hunted animal. Sink or swim, fight or flight, adapt or die. 90% of the difficulty of TEW (at least to me) is developing your own talent and turning the Flex Kavanas into.....well, you know.

Am I the only one who doesn't find this to be that big a deal? I'm playing as CZCW right now, and the only thing I signed that belonged to another promotion was their announcer, and I don't think that counts. I think a major problem here is that people are too obsessed about signing workers with great stats, as opposed to a bunch of cheapo mediocre ones that you can build up.

[QUOTE=Gongsun Zan;175050]Am I the only one who doesn't find this to be that big a deal? I'm playing as CZCW right now, and the only thing I signed that belonged to another promotion was their announcer, and I don't think that counts. I think a major problem here is that people are too obsessed about signing workers with great stats, as opposed to a bunch of cheapo mediocre ones that you can build up.[/QUOTE] EXACTLY!

I just started a game as DaVE, and I really don't know where people are getting the "The US indy scene is as dry as a desert" idea from. There are LOADS of possible signings around. Albeit this is the first day, so I don't know how many will be there in a few weeks, but still... Quality definately isn't a problem. Overness might be, but as Remi always says, Overness is a lot easier to develop than skill. So yeah, I've changed my mind. The system is fine :p (The B- Athleticism for a Regional fed is a bit harsh though. The number of possible signings for an American fed fits on two screens in the Other Workers section, and that's both genders and all styles, so for a two year Block, you're gonna have problems! And God help you if you also get the Homegrown block... that makes it 13 workers. Four of which are females. Ouch!)

The prohibition for hiring already employed workers definitely will hurt the mid-size promotions which are in danger of having their wrestlers jump to the top promotions and then not having an easy time finding a replacement. However, there usually are a lot of unemployed wrestlers when you first start playing. The problem is that a large percentage aren't highly skilled and will need a lot of work. It does increase the difficulty level, but I don't think it makes it impossible. It will mean that you have to make sure to sign your important wrestlers to long term contracts, but also have other wrestlers in reserve in case your main eventers decide to jump to SWF or TCW.

[QUOTE=Gozer;174955]Wait... this might need its own thread, but... PLEASE TELL ME I'M NOT THINKING THIS THROUGH CORRECTLY: So I'm DaVE, right? Some of my guys are written, and that's great (but temporary - paradoxically I won't be able to resign them because I'm cult status, yet somehow I signed them in the first place - that's silly but it's a different problem)... but a lot of my guys are PPA. So I have the "no shared employees", right? Let's take Shawn Gonzalez - Good guy, important to DaVE, currently on PPA. A week after the game started, he took a position as booker of CZCW. Hell's Bouncer was picked up by USPW on a PPW basis, Carl Batch was PPA'd by TCW, I think. So... when it comes time to resign these guys, will I be blocked? If the answer is "yes", winning with DaVE and this restriction is essentially impossible, since all of your talent will eventually get signed by one of the other feds and you don't have the ability to land written contracts. I hate to be overdramatic, but this could be a fatal game flaw for the playability of DaVE or USPW. :mad:[/QUOTE] No, the game will not block you from resigning people already on your roster who are working for you and go to work for other companies. It's only when you try to sign someone not currently on your roster. Also, the blocks seem to clearly state when they are for signings, resignings, or both. Eventually, about 6 months in, the talent pool will fill in for you. I just picked up Champagne Lover after he left SOTBPW, and had a shot at Brett Biggz after SWF let him go (unfortunately, I didn't realize he was a spot monkey and could have come in and really helped out CZCW). Some good workers will also be had if and when WEXXV go under in your game, and I just got a notice that GCG has been put on financial notice. As has been mentioned before, when you have this block, talent trades become your friend. Admittedly, I've only done a few talent trades (one to run an international tourney, one to try and job the Latino Kings out to my tag champs, and one to job Mainstream Hernandez to my champ), but they do become a necessity at times, especially when you get raided and can't sign someone in time for your next show, can't find a solid unemployed worker or you need to bring in that person with a bit of extra overness to help you out. Just keep in mind, however, that talent trade contracts come with creative control clauses attached, so you can't bring in someone who would be considered an main eventer in your fed and have them job to a midcarder you're trying to push.

Archived