Best Ways To Increase Skills?

Hi! I'm brand new to the GDS boards and I have a question or two about TEW 2007. Hopefully a kind, patient and helpful TEW veteran is willing to indulge me... What are the best ways to increase my workers' skills? I'm having a blast running BSC, but they aren't the most talented roster one could hope for, so I'd like to maximize what they're capable of. I have a number of guesses for how I should go about this--would you please confirm which ones are right, and disabuse me of the ones that are completely wrong? 1.) The more minutes I give a worker in a show, the more likely they are to increase their skills. 2.) Although it's more expensive, putting on a show every week, or a show every other week, will give my workers far more experience than putting on a single show every month. 3.) Dark matches and pre-show angles are a good way to give workers experience without wrecking the regular show, because even F rated pre-show segments won't bring the regular show's rating down. 4.) Putting workers in matches is more likely to increase their wrestling skills, while entertainment angles are more likely to increase their entertainment skills. 5.) Overness angles can help workers gain overness, but don't help them with their other skills. (Except respect?) 6.) Workers are more likely to increase their skills if they are paired up in matches and angles with workers who have superior skill sets. For example, a match between a worker with F- psychology and a worker with D+ psychology might help that F- edge closer to F. 7.) I can maximize this learning process with angles and matches that involve many workers at once. For example, a 10 man battle royal could help 9 untalented workers learn from a single talented worker. 8.) Higher rated segments are more likely to increase a worker's skills than lower rated segments. 9.) Workers are more likely to increase skills when matched with opponents with whom they have chemistry. 10.) Driven and/or professional workers are more likely to increase skills than other types of workers. 11.) When my road agent tells me a worker is reaching the top of their skill set, I should respect that, and consider letting that worker go (assuming, for the sake of argument, that I'm interested in good workers as opposed to poor workers who might nevertheless become popular.) 12.) There's no particular way to increase my announcer's announcing skill or my referee's refereeing skill--all I can do is put on lots of shows and hope they improve on their own. Am I in the right ballpark here?

Well, 1 doesnt work unless you are increasing stamina. 2) I dont recommend it unless you start with a promotion where you are making a profit. 3) thats not exactly true. Pre show segments DO affect the overall show. 4) Yes and matches also can affect their PERFORMANCE 5) I believe so 6) Not exactly. While it can help to put someone in the ring with a better worker, I believe its random on what skill will increase. ALSO the type of match affects it, I believe 7) It wont help them learn from 1 worker. but will get them exposure that will help them improve 8) NO. All segments improve the same except overness 9) I dont believe so. It will help the match rating 10) That is what it means 11) Well, depending on the cap. Yes 12) Referee's improve by refereeing but very slowly. announcers improve by announcing

[quote=NickC13573;175572]3) thats not exactly true. Pre show segments DO affect the overall show.[/quote] The only thing that preshow segments affect, is the crowd mood. It doens't have to do anything with ratings. But, on-topic; I just always put huge, more than three workers matches if I really want people to learn more skills. It will not be a huge match rating of course, I once had Call To Action vs. Natural Storm vs. Young Blondes vs. A* Alliance, 2 vs 2 vs 2 vs 2 match, it came as D+ match rating, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE raised their skills on atleast one, someone in two different skills. Now that's progress. ;) I've also noted that "all out match" booking option decreases the skill learning progress; They'll trying to put the best match possible, not leartn any skills. So, when I wan't lower card people to learn, I just put them to a normal, slightly long match, with the only booking notes being the winner and the loser :rolleyes: I really can't answet your questions question per quostion, It's new year!! I've had couple of drinks, but all in all: If the road agent notes say that some worker "has huge potential in learning this skill" etc, if you want him/her to learn, you should obviously put him/her in a match who has very high brawl/tech/aerial/performance skills. I usually do matches where one wrestler is techinician, one is a brawler, one's a cruiserweight etc, so that every style is present, so that the chances of people learning different skills is high as it can.

1. No, this isn't a given. Longer matches are good for working stamina (if the match is longer than their stamina allows) but it's not a guarantee for skill increases. 2. Yes, this is true. There is joy in repetition. However, you have to watch your bottom line closely as well. 3. True. It may lower the crowd's mood a bit if the segments are truly awful but it's nothing that a good angle can't fix. 4. Generally, yes. BUT, both will give the opportunity to increase PERFORMANCE skills, which are a bit easier to develop AND are extremely important. 5. I've never seen this correlation. I don't run overness based angles as 5SSW but my workers still gain respect. I think considering your roster, running Entertainment based angles will give you both better results, ratings wise, and more overness boosts than overness based angles. 6. Yes. But you don't have anyone particularly good. Bring in a Wanda Fish or April Appleseed type of worker and you'd probably be able to see this occur more often. Heck, in the demo, I got some pretty neat results running a Devil's Daughter vs Nurse Darla Knight storyline. 7. Yes and no. Battle royals are kinda iffy, from what I've seen. It's best to do what FINisher suggests and use a bunch of tag teams together. A battle royal may not avail you much unless the talented worker/trainer wins. If she gets eliminated first, you could have a ring full of Heidenreichs left over. 8. Absolutely not. 9. I haven't checked for this correlation in 07 so I couldn't tell you. 10. Absolutely not. I have Karen Bilous on my roster with 5SSW (Driven Professional) and she's worked every show I've run so far (she's in a tag team with Tai called The Power Plant and they're my designated heel jobber team), sometimes twice a show (one tag match, one singles match) and she hasn't improved a lick in 3 months (11 shows). I have yet to see a definitive correlation between worker personality or attitude and learning curve/rate of development. 11. Letting them go? Why? Unless that worker has reached a cap that is so low, it doesn't fit your promotion (and come on, we're talking BSC here), you'd only let that worker go if you'd found a better prospect (like an Agent 69, for example). But yes, generally speaking, your road agents' assertions should be accurate (or close enough to make it a moot point). 12) Correct. Adam says that this time around, Announcers and Referees gain skill by doing their respective jobs. I haven't bothered to figure out the approximate rate of skill increase yet. Lemme tell you how I go about things, since talent development is the #1 draw of TEW for me. I'll give you an example from my game. I'm developing Megumi Nakajima and Shiori Jippensha to be the eventual replacements for Sensational Ogiwara and Crusher Ichihara (top face and top heel). Now, given the 'Young Lion' code is on, that restricts me a great deal. I can't give them long winning streaks against more talented workers because the vast majority of 'more talented workers' also have D+ or better respect whereas they don't. So I mix and match and put them in matches with people who are also young lions but may have better skill in a particular area. If Megumi has at least neutral tag team chemistry with Kiko Sakakibara, that's a great worker to learn from for her. The main thing I'd suggest is choosing a few workers you want to develop and making sure they're booked at least once on EVERY SHOW YOU RUN, without fail. If you can swing it (it's not always possible, after all), put them in two matches a show. Even if one is a dark match, they'll get two opportunities to increase their skills. Fatigue isn't an issue unless you're running several shows a week. I have one TV show a week and one PPV a month and on occasion, I'll run 5SSW Invasion in an area I don't have much overness in (establishing a beachhead). The only fatigued workers I've had have been loaners (who work 3 matches for their final appearance). I haven't started with AAA or BSC yet, though I plan to. It should be tons easier since you don't have to pay attention to respect. Then again, you can actually have your talent poached whereas 5SSW is pretty much bulletproof (due to isolation and the loyalty feature).

Excellent tips, thank you all. I especially like the 4 way tag team suggestion and the suggestion of double booking the workers I most want to improve. Am I typically better off doing that with the upper midcarders and main eventers, since otherwise I'm more like to receive a "You overused x at the show" note? I've hired Agent 69 and she seems to be a useful pickup despite an F- gimmick I'm hoping to change in a month or two. Currently I'm running shows twice a month in the hopes of speeding toward profitability--that might be my downfall, as I might hemmorhage too much cash in the process and not be able to gain what I've lost back in time to satisfy my owner goals. For what it's worth, I fired Sister Beth Mercy ($350/PPA) and Sara Silver ($1500/PPA) before my first show so all my workers are $200 PPA and below, with most in that $100-$125 range. And firing Sara Silver led to a broken friendship between Sara and Honey--which seems only logical. "I can't believe you let this new guy fire me!"

Ya, I would double book Main Eventers and Upper Midcarders. that will speed up your development. ALSO, I would start talent trading with AAA and other feds that have females. They will use your talent and that will A) give your talent more exposure, I.E. overness. and it will give you some talent to bring in for 1-3 appearences to help improve your talent.

Archived