The Comic Book Mod

This was originally a small update post notifying that I was working on the mod. From here on out, this space will show current progress. [b]Promotions[/b]: 6 (was 5) [b]Workers[/b]: 31 (was 15) [b]Gimmicks[/b]: 35 (was 23) [b]Teams[/b]: 13 (was 3) [b]Worker Relations[/b]: 34 (was 16) [b]TV Networks[/b]: 2 [b]Other TV Shows[/b]: 1 [b]Dojos[/b]: 3 [b]Dojo Graduates[/b]: 3 [b]Alter Egos[/b]: 1 All workers have pictures. No promotions have logos. TotalExtremeWrestling.com is now The Daily Planet's website. Graphics for The Daily Bugle may be included later.

[B]The Justice Society of America [/B] The JSA is a team based in the Tri-State area and have a lot of young talent. Based around big, epic storylines with an emphasis on teams, but has a traditional feel nevertheless. The JSA maintains a strict policy of hiring only second, third or fourth generation heroes. [QUOTE]my DCU Encyclopedia from two years ago gives me most of the information I'll need.[/QUOTE] Where do characters with multiple affiliations (I.e., Robin (Tim Drake), Batsman and Superman) fit?

[QUOTE=Nagacore;175995]Where do characters with multiple affiliations (I.e., Robin (Tim Drake), Batsman and Superman) fit?[/QUOTE] It's hard to say, but I'll probably mention but not otherwise bother with outdated, but well-known affiliations ("Batman and the Outsiders," "Team Titans," "The Trenchcoat Brigade,") and instead give people PPA contracts or stick them where they're most used. So Robin gets a PPA deal with Detective and Teen Titans, Batman and Superman are "on loan" to the JLA. Elongated Man has a PPA to Flash Comics, Superbuddies and maybe the JLA, because to be perfectly honest I may be the only one on the planet who'd sign him to a written deal. I had no idea how many comics geeks were on the forums until I started these development topics and read the associated sci-fi mod topic. It warms my heart. :) Two other organizations I may include are the ultra-traditional Whiz and the legacy-based Flash Comics. The thing holding me back on the second is that so many members of the Flash family tend to have strong ties to teams... but the Rogues very much demand a place in the game. So I'm torn. By the way, at the behest of another forumite the last time I started a topic on this, the title belts are still going to have a place. Instead of being title belts, they'll instead be plot devices and items of power from throughout comics. This will hopefully give the proper weight to a fight over the Blue Beetle Scarab, Doctor Fate's helmet, or the glowing green (or yellow!) power ring of your choice.

Okay, update time. The Superbuddies promotion is just about done, but I see a definite problem cropping up. The promotion only has 16 people at the moment, and though it has three villains, only one of those works in an active wrestling capacity. They don't have a TV deal, so the problem is pretty easily fixed by just putting their first scheduled event far enough away that they can bring in some heels... but I still don't particularly like it. Rather than going into the pain that would be rationalizing referees in a mod intended to simulate comic book stories, the mod will include simple, numbered referees for every promotion (i.e., JLA Referee #1, #2, etc.). Their only ability will be refereeing, and they are not intended for use in angles or storylines of any kind. Already, the game has an awful lot more relationships per capita than I'd originally thought it would. For only 16 workers added to the game, most of them relatively minor, that's a ton. Navigating all of the weird little relationships the characters have and trying to get a workable show out of it should be an awful lot of fun. It's also interesting to see how TEW statistics seem to bring out the best in some people and the worst in others: Elongated Man is one of the brightest people in the DCU, but his lack of business acumen makes him look like a dunce compared to, say, Fire, who successfully marketed herself as a webcam girl for a while but is really of about average intelligence. Some people to watch out for, insofar as the completed workers go: [b]Elongated Man[/b]: He starts the game with verbal agreements to three different promotions (Flash Comics, Superbuddies, and JLA), and is one of few characters in the game who is technically skilled. He's relatively popular, easy to work with, and his wife is a decent booker. [b]Manga Khan[/b]: He's useless in the ring, but Manga Khan is one of the best mic workers in the game and has a whopping 90% in business reputation. If the first year of game time ends and he doesn't own a promotion, I'll be shocked. He could definitely be a power player behind the scenes, if given a chance. [b]Maxwell Lord[/b]: Think of him as Manga Khan-lite, but with the added bonus that he works a little better as a face. [b]Guy Gardner[/b]: Guy's decent on the microphone, an excellent all-rounder, and one of very, very few people in the mod with an Intensity rating high enough to pull off the Green Lantern gimmick. If he wasn't such a jerk and didn't have so many negative relationships, he'd be main-event material just about anywhere. [b]Power Girl[/b]: She is GODLY. Good enough physical requirements to fit the Kryptonian Powerhouse gimmick, fantastic brawler, okay flier, the beauty to fit most of the girly-girl gimmicks and the brains to run her own promotion, if need be. If that's not enough, she's got a blood relation to Superman. Power Girl starts on the independent scene, but I don't expect her to stay there for long.

I like the Idea of PowerGirl being out there to grab really. She was kind of a loner for the most part, or that's how I always felt about her.. She is definately a woman that hates chavenistic male behavior, and will point out quite quickly how she could easily snap you in half without breaking a sweat. People like her and Huntress, etc.. are kind of unique, in that I really liked their personalities, they seemed more realistic to someone that was "born" into their power's, instead of worked on (like Atom) or someone that got them on accident, like Flash. I'm intriqued by your championships, that's an awesome idea. I won't use it for mine, to keep it unique. I have a different approach on the promotions as well, so our two similar, yet different database's will give the player's a variety of playing fields. I'll probably end up playing your mod alot, just to see all the difference's and going "Wow, I like that!", lol.

Yes, I'm still working on this. Justice League is coming along nicely, and I'm currently working on Green Arrow's extended "family." From a TEW point of view, I never realized how much of a career tag wrestler this guy was. He's got more tag teams than anyone else in the game combined, and he outdoes the previous social butterfly in the game, Blue Beetle, by something like five relationships.

Please please have Superman (Red Son) variation, quite possibly the best DC Character I've seen in a long time. I love how they twisted it. Will the Teen Titans be making an appearance? It's quite hard though, as there's Young Robin, Adult Robin (All 3/4 of them), alternate universe Nighthawk. I was just wondering, where do multiple versions of the same person fit into this? Or don't they? :(

[QUOTE=HHUK;182336]Please please have Superman (Red Son) variation, quite possibly the best DC Character I've seen in a long time. I love how they twisted it. Will the Teen Titans be making an appearance? It's quite hard though, as there's Young Robin, Adult Robin (All 3/4 of them), alternate universe Nighthawk. I was just wondering, where do multiple versions of the same person fit into this? Or don't they? :([/QUOTE] Infinite crisis kind of helps those issue's alot. All the parrellel/alternate universe's collide on each other, making a brand new one similar to Earth 1 (their primary stories come from). For example, the flash cities did not exist on the same earth before infinite crisis. Central city on one, Keystone on the other... Now they are split up by a lake.

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;182359]Infinite crisis kind of helps those issue's alot. All the parrellel/alternate universe's collide on each other, making a brand new one similar to Earth 1 (their primary stories come from). For example, the flash cities did not exist on the same earth before infinite crisis. Central city on one, Keystone on the other... Now they are split up by a lake.[/QUOTE] Hadn't that already been established before Infnite Crisis? I'm pretty sure both were in Rogue War.

[QUOTE=flamebrain;182366]Hadn't that already been established before Infnite Crisis? I'm pretty sure both were in Rogue War.[/QUOTE] They've been sister cities since the early nineties, and I think they were even connected by a bridge. I think the change is that now, the two didn't coexist before one of the crises (probably the eighties one). If the demand is that high, I'll certainly look into the possibility of adding some alternate universe characters. Bear in mind that by default they'll be set to "deceased," and if you want to bring them into your game all you need to do is change a single status setting in the editor. In a similar fashion, some very popular deceased characters will be included if you want to bring them back, like Ice and Barry Allen. And please don't forget that while 90% of the DCU data is based around the DCU about a year (our time, not comic-time) before Infinite Crisis, I am counting the whole shebang as more of a "best of" than adhering to the continuity where it creates a cooler experience. So, for example, you've got Blue Beetle still alive, Maxwell Lord not the leader of Checkmate, the Magnificent Seven founded the Justice League instead of that weird combination used in flashbacks post-crisis... but Jason Todd is the Red Hood, Hal Jordan is a Green Lantern, the GLC still exists, Guy Gardner has both green and yellow power rings, that sort of thing. The Teen Titans will certainly be included, and some of the members from the "missing year" will be used to fill out the future workers data. Just please try to bear in mind that the Teen Titans will NOT have an appropriate roster or be booked in a way that makes sense by the AI. When booked by the AI, you'll probably end up with something closer to The Titans than Teen Titans. And I'll get this out of the way before anyone complains about it in the final version: The reason Arsenal is portrayed as a better archer than Green Arrow is because he is. Ollie has said it himself in the past, and in at least one comic a cop has told Roy that he was "the only one who can make that shot." So don't whine about it when a former Speedy is better at what he does than Green Arrow. :p I'm still a while away from having the data complete enough to send off to a Marvel guy (or, if all else fails, do the Marvel stuff myself), but things are picking up. At the end of today's modding I'll update the first post so you guys can see how far I've come.

[QUOTE=flamebrain;182739]Fingers crossed for Chaos comics, custom made for wrestling lol Plus their run of Undertaker was shlocktastic! :D[/QUOTE] Ahh yes, Purgatori would get pushed to the moon by me :D Another good source would be CrossGen comics, they had a rich universe set up there.

[QUOTE=WrestleManiac;182756]Don't know if these links are any help. [URL="http://www.comicboards.com/marvelguide/"]Marvel Guide[/URL] [URL="http://www.comicboards.com/"]Comic Boards[/URL] [URL="http://www.marveldatabase.com/Main_Page"]Marvel Wiki[/URL] [URL="http://dcdatabase.wikia.com/Main_Page"]DC Wiki[/URL][/QUOTE] I actually discovered the DC and Marvel databases just this morning. I'll check out the other two in a little bit. Thanks!

Okay, I've updated the initial post so you can see what I've done in the last couple of days. After a lull in modding, I'm starting to pick up speed again. Part of the reason it's taking me so long is because I'm getting pictures for everyone as I go. I build up a huge backlog of pictures, then I get a-modding. I won't put a character in the game unless I've got a picture for them (excluding "filler" staff positions like referees and maybe road agents). Scouring the internet for two hours in need of a picture of the Scarlet Skier is no fun at all, I can assure you. By the way, you may have noticed there are ten new tag teams since the last update. The original Green Arrow, Ollie Queen, is a member of SEVEN of those. Three are maxed out. He also claims a large number of relationships. Before I get to playing City of Heroes for the evening, I'll post the current roster, submitted for your approval. The Superbuddies are done, and I still need to do villains for the JLA, and then I'll have two promotions in the can. The next one will be either Detective Comics or Teen Titans. The Roster: Aquaman (Decent brawler, GODLY charisma) Arsenal (Excellent in hardcore, decent charisma, good tag experience) Batman (He will be fought over very, very much) Black Canary II (Good MMA skills, excellent eye candy) Blue Beetle II (Decent brawler, decent entertainment skills, good basics) Booster Gold (Decent at brawling and flying, decent charisma) Captain Atom (Good brawler and flier) Elongated Man (One of the game's few technicians) Etrigan (Okay brawling, good menace, good mic skills) Fire (Good flier, some MMA training, nice eye candy, good business skills) G'nort (...he's a dog-man with a power ring) Green Arrow (Charismatic, somewhat popular, good history in tag teams, good at hardcore) Green Arrow II (Connor Hawke) (One of the five best MMA characters on the DC side) Green Lantern II (Hal Jordan) (Good popularity and flying) Guy Gardner (Good all-rounder) Hawkman (Great flier, good hardcore and brawling) Ice (Dead for now, but you the player can change that in the editor) L-RON (He's funny!) Manga Khan (Ditto) Martian Manhunter (Superman-lite, more or less) Mary Marvel (Good brawler, okay flier, somewhat charismatic) Maxwell Lord (Funny!) Plastic Man (Okay technician, somewhat charismatic) Power Girl (I've already mentioned how godly she is a page back) Roulette (Great business skills, has potential as a manager or personality) Speedy II (Mia Dearden) (Young enough to have lots of room for improvement) Sue Dibny (Decent at most backstage stuff, and a presentable manager) Superman (Great brawling, okay flying, great charisma and respect) The Atom II (Surprisingly decent flier and hardcore guy) The Flash III (Wally West) (Great stamina and athleticism, decent brawling and charisma) Wonder Woman (Kind of scary, really, but still awfully nice to look at)

Archived