The Comic Book Mod

[QUOTE=y2jbrock;183196]Asked this on the marvel/dc thread and will ask here too. what will the show names and ppv names be for this update? Also the arenas and titles etc?[/QUOTE] I'm not sure on show names yet, but I'm leading towards pay-per-views being named after famous comics storylines as appropriate to the promotion. Arenas will be various cities that have cropped up in comics over the years. And titles will be important plot Macguffins, items of power and other things from the comic in question, so "title matches" could be over Hal Jordan's power ringthe gun that killed Bruce Wayne's parents, the Helmet of Nabu... that sort of thing.

[QUOTE=shamelessposer;183208]And titles will be important plot Macguffins, items of power and other things from the comic in question, so "title matches" could be over Hal Jordan's power ringthe gun that killed Bruce Wayne's parents, the Helmet of Nabu... that sort of thing.[/QUOTE] That is an awesome idea. The battle for the Ultimate Nullifier will be fierce :D

[QUOTE=Imarevenant;183282]That is an awesome idea. The battle for the Ultimate Nullifier will be fierce :D[/QUOTE] Wasn't my idea, really. Someone else suggested it in a thread when I said I didn't have an idea what to do with titles in a comics mod that would sim comics instead of wrestling. I need to go back and see who it was, so I can give them proper credit. :)

I love that title idea. I was trying to think of something, and while not ripping the idea off, you've given me an idea that I can twist and run with. Instead of the "Hal Jordan Power Ring" or some similar slant on a specific item, I'll use something more business sponsored, like the Stark Enterprises Heavyweight Title or some such.

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, work on the mod is resuming. DarkMaverick87 was under the mistaken belief that I'd lost interest in the project, and I thought he was just very, very busily at work and didn't want to disturb him. :o Figured now would be as good a time as any to bring up the way that the locations are going to be done. Borrowing (read: stealing) a page from tommytomlin's "War's End?" mod, each location will have its size listed as part of its name for easy use. Also like his, there will not be individually listed arenas. Instead, major and minor cities from the real world and comics will each have their own preferences toward styles, and the size of the city will dictate how large the venues in that city get. So Metropolis might vary between Tiniest and Enormous, but good luck finding a venue larger than Very Small in Leesburg, Virginia. Also included will be the states in which these cities are located. I'll bet most of you didn't know that Gotham City was in New Jersey or Metropolis was in Delaware, but now you know. :)

[QUOTE=shamelessposer;192511]Okay, work on the mod is resuming. DarkMaverick87 was under the mistaken belief that I'd lost interest in the project, and I thought he was just very, very busily at work and didn't want to disturb him. :o Figured now would be as good a time as any to bring up the way that the locations are going to be done. Borrowing (read: stealing) a page from tommytomlin's "War's End?" mod, each location will have its size listed as part of its name for easy use. Also like his, there will not be individually listed arenas. Instead, major and minor cities from the real world and comics will each have their own preferences toward styles, and the size of the city will dictate how large the venues in that city get. So Metropolis might vary between Tiniest and Enormous, but good luck finding a venue larger than Very Small in Leesburg, Virginia. Also included will be the states in which these cities are located. I'll bet most of you didn't know that Gotham City was in New Jersey or Metropolis was in Delaware, but now you know. :)[/QUOTE] You mean that on a good night they can see each other over the Delaware river? Actually, Although Gotham has stayed pretty much the same, Metropolis has seemed to mover around depending on who's story your reading. For example, in Smallville the TV show, they say that they can see Metropolis on a clear day... Smallville being located in Kansas, they must mean maybe Clark can see Metropolis on a clear night, lol. Naw, they put Metropolis in Kansas is all, probably somewhere around Kansas City. However, most comics put Metropolis by a harbor of some kind, making the east coast a more suitable place where it would be located. I have my mod set as such as well.. with Opal city being slightly northwest of Metropolis, and Gotham being Due East from Opal City, Northeast from Metropolis (with the Delaware river in between Metropolis and Gotham). Civic City (JSA headquarters) being North East from Metropolis, North West from Gotham. It makes the most scense, and is easier with continuity (for me anyways). And this puts New York City (Spidey, Avenger's Mansion, Xavior's School for mutants, etc.) north east from Gotham. Could also be said that then Calvin City and Ivy Town (home of golden age Atom, and modern Atom respectively) in Connecticut. Some reference's say Ivy Town is actually in New York though, whichever you decide on, I would keep it by the coast though. Nice to see someone else has been reading up on this as well:-)

[url]http://www.karridian.net/dcatlas.html[/url] This is my primary source for DC locations. I don't know where exactly this guy gets most of his information, but he's been told by various DC higher-ups that he's on the money. His ability to place one of the cities (Opal, I think?) was what really impressed some people.

Wanted to say that I'm still alive, and so is the project. I should be getting some data from DarkMaverick87 in the next few days, which should constitute the Marvel side of things. Until then, I've been putting the finishing touches on locations and started work on angles. This is my first time really playing with the angle editor, and the flexibility is just amazing. Also, I decided I hate adding to the injury database so I'm just going to import large chunks of the Cornellverse injury stuff. User Characters have been a lot of fun, too. All of the User Characters are big names from the comics industry. So far Alan Moore, Brian Michael Bendis, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, Grant Morrison and Stan Lee are in, with a few more to be added later.

This is the first I've read of this project and I'm really excited about it :) I read some Batman through mid to late 90s, and read Death of Superman through to the Return of, but Marvel is where my love really is. It's not my intention to turn this into a "which comics do you like" thread or "Don't you agree Marvel are taking the mickey with their multi title-spanning storylines?" What I will say is that I very much look forward to playing this some day, probably with the X-Men as they're my favourite team, though Garth Ennis' Punisher is my favourite comic title of all time. You can't really play a promotion of just Frank Castle, heheh. User characters I'd have in mine (which in no way means anyone else should :D) would be Garth Ennis, Warren Ellis and Mark Millar

Archived